Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

akb88
Topic Author

WOW Air to relaunch as PLAY

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 pm

So, it seems that the entity currently going by the name "WAB Air" formed by people involved with the collapsed WOW Air are holding a press conference tomorrow morning.
Will be interesting to see what comes from this.

https://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/20 ... nnafundar/

https://www.ruv.is/frett/wab-bodar-til- ... fyrramalid
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: new information

chunhimlai

Re: "WAB Air" holding a press conference tomorrow in Reykjavik

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:30 pm

What is WAB stand for?
“Wow Air Berlin”?

Ishrion

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Will it just be about their fish services?

akb88
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
What is WAB stand for?
“Wow Air Berlin”?

WAB stands for We Are Back.....corny I know. Hopefully they will change it lol

akb88
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Will it just be about their fish services?

This is another company. That Ballarin woman is not involved in this venture.

avtcle

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:46 pm

The people behind WAB Air appear to actually know what they’re doing — which is the reason for so much media silence about them lately. They aren’t out spreading disinformation about adding flights when they haven’t even talked to the airports (like Michelle Ballarin and WOW 2.0, which will carry fish?). As former WOW execs they certainly know the process of getting slots, obtaining planes, licenses, etc. They actually applied for an operating license in Iceland in July, so they’ve likely obtained it and are ready to launch. Exciting stuff!

davidjohnson6

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:10 pm

The business plan needs to be good...

akb88
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:03 am

WAB Air becomes PLAY!
PLAY! will fly A320s and start with few cities in Europe with expansion to the US later next year. Maiden flight still hasn't been scheduled but they are finalizing deals with airports etc.

OzarkD9S

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am

akb88 wrote:
WAB Air becomes PLAY!

PLAY! will fly A320s and start with few cities in Europe with expansion to the US later next year. Maiden flight still hasn't been scheduled but they are finalizing deals with airports etc.

Link to the new livery:

https://simpleflying.com/wow-air-relaunch-as-play/

Sure hope the pax and investors don't get played this time around.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

akb88
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:47 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
akb88 wrote:
WAB Air becomes PLAY!

Link to the new livery:

https://simpleflying.com/wow-air-relaunch-as-play/

Sure hope the pax and investors don't get played this time around.

Well the people involved do seem more grounded in reality than Mogensen. At least so far.

a320fan

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Wants to start flying this year but no AOC? Sounds a bit optimistic.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

gatibosgru

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:27 pm

From purple to red.
@DadCelo

akb88
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:31 pm

a320fan wrote:

They said at the press conference that the AOC is pending approval and should be coming in just few weeks or days even.

TheZ

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:34 pm

I hope they are successful! I kind of like that livery.
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

SRQKEF

Re: WOW Air to relaunch as PLAY

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:46 pm

That thread name isn't correct though. While much of the staff is ex-WOW, the airline itself has no affiliations with the old WOW air entity.

I know the name of the thread was different before and changed by the mods, I just suggest it's changed again to something like "New Icelandic LCC called Play". :)
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

SRQKEF

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:50 pm

a320fan wrote:

Work on an AOC started in July, it's just about ready. Since they already have contracts for 2 A320s I'd think a start around the holidays is certainly feasible. From what I've heard they're starting this winter to drum up some operational reliability before ramping up for the all-important summer season, so any teething problems could be sorted out in the low season.

All in all, I wish them the best of luck. Iceland has a long history of failed 2nd airlines (Arnarflug, Iceland Express and WOW) but these guys at least seem to be grounded and with an actual plan.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

AVENSAB727

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Fly PLAY,
The Airline with the most PLAYful experience!
Always look on the bright side of Life!

DIJKKIJK

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:19 pm

They should keep it simple by just targeting European and US destinations. Any more silly ideas like operating cheap flights to Asia will send them down very quickly.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

N766UA

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:29 pm

Play? Stop.

klm617

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:41 pm

I think a great list of destinations for Summer 2020 from KEF would be.

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

samuelx88

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:04 pm

klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

I agree. They should fly to YYZ and YUL. Wow was able to fly daily to YUL, often on A321, so the passenger demand was probably there. And as opposed to the US with Norwegian, Canada isn't served by any ULCC for transatlantic flight with connections (except Level which doesn't have a lot of connections, if any).

Would Warsaw work despite Wizz Air and their very cheap tickets to Reykjavík?

dirk88

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:14 pm

They should limit the destinations to those that allow for a 24-hour full cycle KEF-European Destination-KEF-US Destination-KEF. WOW's further destinations (like west coast US) had planes on the ground for way to long to meet banks in KEF. So very roughly anything north-east of an imaginary line Chicago-D.C. and anything north-west of a line from Lisbon to Stockholm.

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:22 pm

dirk88 wrote:
They should limit the destinations to those that allow for a 24-hour full cycle KEF-European Destination-KEF-US Destination-KEF. WOW's further destinations (like west coast US) had planes on the ground for way to long to meet banks in KEF. So very roughly anything north-east of an imaginary line Chicago-D.C. and anything north-west of a line from Lisbon to Stockholm.

There you go, bringing logic to the salad of airport codes above. Fleet utilization does matter to ULCCs.

cschleic

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:29 pm

The linked livery reveal article has an image of a 321, mentions both the 320 and 321 as initial aircraft, but also notes a 200 passenger count and 320 family aircraft. All of that probably means the 321.

klm617

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:30 pm

samuelx88 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

I agree. They should fly to YYZ and YUL. Wow was able to fly daily to YUL, often on A321, so the passenger demand was probably there. And as opposed to the US with Norwegian, Canada isn't served by any ULCC for transatlantic flight with connections (except Level which doesn't have a lot of connections, if any).

The thing with WAW is that a lot of young Poles need to travel between the US/Canada on a budget so in my mind WAW works well for the sake of transit passengers from YYZ and DTW who have no low fare options. Agreed all 4 options I chose in North America give PLAY pricing power in those markets.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

StrandedAtMKG

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:46 pm

God, airline branding in Europe just keeps getting dumber and dumber. I thought we'd hit rock bottom with "Level," but here we are with this nonspecific, silly, "trying to sound fun/friendly but with absolutely no substance behind it" garbage. Imagine you're a potential customer here in the US who has never heard of them (which, at this point, is literally everyone). Where are they from? Who knows! Are they owned by some kind of entity I have any reason to trust or who has any experience in the airline industry? Couldn't tell ya. Where do they fly? I don't really know! But they sound "fun."

oxonrow

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:47 pm

klm617 wrote:
samuelx88 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

The thing with WAW is that a lot of young Poles need to travel between the US/Canada on a budget so in my mind WAW works well for the sake of transit passengers from YYZ and DTW who have no low fare options. Agreed all 4 options I chose in North America give PLAY pricing power in those markets.

Poles possibly make up about 10% of the population living in Iceland, so the demand is there, though likely not yields. Me think that to connect the list needs to include EWR or JFK. Any chance revamped LGA would/could process KEF flights -- if KEF were to be given pre-clearance, for instance?
Last edited by oxonrow on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klm617

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
God, airline branding in Europe just keeps getting dumber and dumber. I thought we'd hit rock bottom with "Level," but here we are with this nonspecific, silly, "trying to sound fun/friendly but with absolutely no substance behind it" garbage. Imagine you're a potential customer here in the US who has never heard of them (which, at this point, is literally everyone). Where are they from? Who knows! Are they owned by some kind of entity I have any reason to trust or who has any experience in the airline industry? Couldn't tell ya. Where do they fly? I don't really know! But they sound "fun."

Who cares where they are from as long as they stimulate traffic and offer fares that everyone can afford while turning a profit. Just because you don't understand the logic doesn't mean it's stupid.

winginit

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 pm

samuelx88 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

It baffles me that the common recommendations here are to start service to a swath of destinations that WW flew enticing passengers with ultra-low fares with only six A321s... as if that's not exactly what lead to the downfall of WW. Do we not learn from the past?

I'll be genuinely surprised if this PLAY takes flight at all.

enilria

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:04 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
a320fan wrote:

Work on an AOC started in July, it's just about ready. Since they already have contracts for 2 A320s I'd think a start around the holidays is certainly feasible. From what I've heard they're starting this winter to drum up some operational reliability before ramping up for the all-important summer season, so any teething problems could be sorted out in the low season.

All in all, I wish them the best of luck. Iceland has a long history of failed 2nd airlines (Arnarflug, Iceland Express and WOW) but these guys at least seem to be grounded and with an actual plan.

In the USA it would take 5 years if they would even issue you an AOC as opposed to being told to buy one

enilria

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:06 pm

winginit wrote:
samuelx88 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

It baffles me that the common recommendations here are to start service to a swath of destinations that WW flew enticing passengers with ultra-low fares with only six A321s... as if that's not exactly what lead to the downfall of WW. Do we not learn from the past?

They may not take flight, but I think Iceland and the companies invested in Iceland realized that the money WW was losing was small potatoes compared to how much money it was bringing into the economy. Not unlike EK in its earlier days. I'm sure they would like to make a profit, but there may be other goals this time.

oxonrow

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:11 pm

enilria wrote:
winginit wrote:
samuelx88 wrote:

They may not take flight, but I think Iceland and the companies invested in Iceland realized that the money WW was losing was small potatoes compared to how much money it was bringing into the economy. Not unlike EK in its earlier days. I'm sure they would like to make a profit, but there may be other goals this time.

It seems to me that most of Europe is well served with low cost connections to KEF. This is not true for the USA. This is where the gap is, and presumably where yields could be better too.

StrandedAtMKG

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:13 pm

klm617 wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

Who cares where they are from as long as they stimulate traffic and offer fares that everyone can afford while turning a profit. Just because you don't understand the logic doesn't mean it's stupid.

Because airlines are not potato chips. Will I buy a bag of off-brand chips from a brand I've never heard of instead of my regular brand if they're on sale and the price justifies it? Sure, it's a tiny amount of money and my life doesn't depend on it.

Will I buy a plane ticket from a company that's been around a couple weeks and has zero track record and zero ties to another entity with experience and a reputation in the industry? Not so much.

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 pm

samuelx88 wrote:

Probably not, and certainly not the first year when they don't fly to the USA yet. Wizzair would crush them.

Once those flights to the USA are there, they might get some transfer traffic from Poland but I'm afraid it won't be enough. Wizzair would still capture all the O/D traffic. However as they say, if you can't beat them, join them. Maybe they can make a deal with Wizzair to provide the feed from Eastern Europe at Keflavik. That way they wouldn't have to serve these destinations themselves and they can still have them in their network. It would be a win-win for both airlines.

klm617 wrote:

Many of those are major airports, which is one of the things that killed WOW Air. Maybe they should pick secondary airports instead. Certainly in Europe secondary airports work better for LCCs, they're cheaper to fly into and therefor allow fares to be lower. Besides, many major airports are slot congested and therefor difficult to get in. Also, from major airports there is likely to be competition. At secondary airports this competition likely doesn't exist.

Take Amsterdam for example, one of the airports on your list. It's heavily slot congested, getting slots at Amsterdam isn't easy. Besides, after the collapse of WOW Air it didn't take long for Transavia to start Amsterdam - Keflavik, so they'd have to compete against Transavia which is an established low-cost brand in the Netherlands.

However if instead of Amsterdam they'd pick another Dutch airport such as Rotterdam or Eindhoven they'd be able to operate cheaper and they wouldn't have direct competition from Transavia.

Thibault973

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:24 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Because airlines are not potato chips. Will I buy a bag of off-brand chips from a brand I've never heard of instead of my regular brand if they're on sale and the price justifies it? Sure, it's a tiny amount of money and my life doesn't depend on it.

Will I buy a plane ticket from a company that's been around a couple weeks and has zero track record and zero ties to another entity with experience and a reputation in the industry? Not so much.

In the real world, most people will buy the ticket that shows as the cheapest in booking engines, regardless of the operator.

rbavfan

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:39 pm

TheZ wrote:
I hope they are successful! I kind of like that livery.

except there is no way they will paint the wings any color.

klm617

Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
samuelx88 wrote:

Probably not, and certainly not the first year when they don't fly to the USA yet. Wizzair would crush them.

Once those flights to the USA are there, they might get some transfer traffic from Poland but I'm afraid it won't be enough. Wizzair would still capture all the O/D traffic. However as they say, if you can't beat them, join them. Maybe they can make a deal with Wizzair to provide the feed from Eastern Europe at Keflavik. That way they wouldn't have to serve these destinations themselves and they can still have them in their network. It would be a win-win for both airlines.

klm617 wrote:

Many of those are major airports, which is one of the things that killed WOW Air. Maybe they should pick secondary airports instead. Certainly in Europe secondary airports work better for LCCs, they're cheaper to fly into and therefor allow fares to be lower. Besides, many major airports are slot congested and therefor difficult to get in. Also, from major airports there is likely to be competition. At secondary airports this competition likely doesn't exist.

Take Amsterdam for example, one of the airports on your list. It's heavily slot congested, getting slots at Amsterdam isn't easy. Besides, after the collapse of WOW Air it didn't take long for Transavia to start Amsterdam - Keflavik, so they'd have to compete against Transavia which is an established low-cost brand in the Netherlands.

However if instead of Amsterdam they'd pick another Dutch airport such as Rotterdam or Eindhoven they'd be able to operate cheaper and they wouldn't have direct competition from Transavia.

Here is the problem though. If I am sitting here in the USA wanting a cheap ticket to Holland I'm going to be searching Amsterdam. Most American's unlike Europeans are geographically challenged. So from the USA point of sale you are going to need to be in the markets that Americans identify with. Remember WOW Air went bad serving places like MIA, SFO, LAX and DFW. Not in places like BOS, EWR and BWI that had reasonably short stage lengths. If we are honest what really killed them was the A330 and that routes that aircraft served. I still think places like CLE and CVG are viable but not at 4 times a week maybe 2 times a week if there is significant savings by using them over the legacies. Remember in the prestige market they are going to have to fight and carve out their market share but in places like YUL, YYZ, DTW and BWI then can stimulate their own market at prices they dictate not at prices which the market will bare because they will be the only game in town.

Varsity1

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:02 pm

klm617 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
samuelx88 wrote:

klm617 wrote:

Here is the problem though. If I am sitting here in the USA wanting a cheap ticket to Holland I'm going to be searching Amsterdam. Most American's unlike Europeans are geographically challenged. So from the USA point of sale you are going to need to be in the markets that Americans identify with. Remember WOW Air went bad serving places like MIA, SFO, LAX and DFW. Not in places like BOS, EWR and BWI that had reasonably short stage lengths. If we are honest what really killed them was the A330 and that routes that aircraft served. I still think places like CLE and CVG are viable but not at 4 times a week maybe 2 times a week if there is significant savings by using them over the legacies. Remember in the prestige market they are going to have to fight and carve out their market share but in places like YUL, YYZ, DTW and BWI then can stimulate their own market at prices they dictate not at prices which the market will bare because they will be the only game in town.

Most American's are geographically challenged?

:roll:
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

directorguy

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Maybe they can codeshare with Joon and fly 10-across 787s to fun, millenial-friendly hotspots, like Tehran, and Phuket.

dabpit

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Wow, this definitely stands out. Just like Spirit. Certainly grabs your attention so great decision (red fuselage and engines, of course, the wings won't be painted)!
Carpe Diem

kjeld0d

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 pm

It looks like they used the same graphic designer.

RL757PVD

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Would be nice if theres no room for then at BOS and they can fill DY's shoes at PVD
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

VS4ever

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:52 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
Would be nice if theres no room for then at BOS and they can fill DY's shoes at PVD

As much as I love BOS, I think PVD for this
Would be great for them, better costs, scoop up the business that DY had and not directly compete with FI.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

ER757

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:

It's no worse than "Ted" or "Song" - let's hope they have a longer and more successful run though
About the livery drawing - the plane seems to have two colors, wondering if that entire red background masks the actual color of the bottom half of the fuselage? Or will it just be two shades of red? I think not, because the wings are red in the drawing too and seriously doubt they'll do that

santi319

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:05 pm

I think the KEF connecting to Europe days are long gone. Most of the new narrowbodies can do point to point.

They should just focus on bringing people to Iceland.

IceAir778

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 pm

I would say:

Winter
LGW, CPH, AMS, CDG, LPA/TFS, TXL

Summer
US/CAN: YYZ, BOS, BWI, EWR
EUR: CPH, LGW, CDG, AMS, TXL, FRA

smokeybandit

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:10 pm

So are the mechanics now...Playtechs?

spinotter

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 pm

klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

Except for DTW, I think your list is perfect. We don't need DTW, do we?

BA744PHX

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:34 pm

spinotter wrote:
klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

Considering the poster its not surprising to see DTW listed, I believe EWR, BWI, BOS and PHL are all possible

klm617

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm

spinotter wrote:
klm617 wrote:

BWI
DTW
YYZ
YUL
TXL
FRA
AMS
LGW
BRU
CDG
BCN
WAW
DUB

We sure do DTW needs this type of carrier and this type of carrier needs DTW. And before you say anything negative until they serve DTW and fail they are just as likely to succeeded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos