Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klm617

Re: WOW Air to relaunch as PLAY

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:06 pm

airsmiles wrote:
stl07 wrote:
airsmiles wrote:
Yawn. Another low-fare start up who wants to lose some investors money. How many times do these ventures have to start and fail before people learn. After five decades of watching these startups undermine the whole airline industry, I’ve lost my patience. If you want to know why there’s a race to the bottom for employee benefits and conditions, not to mention onboard passenger service, then look here.

Are they silly? Yes. But, I'm not complaining. When I can go directly from St. Louis to Keflavik freaking Iceland for 80 USD, I could care less about the fact that investors are loosing money

It’s not just investors though. Do you really think fares that low aren’t harming otherwise sustainable airlines and all of there employees. So a start-up charges loss making fares and existing airlines will be forced to respond in some form or another. Further job losses and cost-cutting will be the result. These “disruptor” airlines like Play and Norwegian just undermine the wider industry and people’s livelihoods.

No one forces these airlines to match low fares of another carrier. There is enough customers to go around it's just the greedy legacy carriers always feel the need to control every market they are in.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

peterinlisbon

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:14 pm

What a terrible name. And I couldn't think of a worse time in history to launch an airline. I suppose leases are cheap, at least.

AKL321NX

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:49 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
What a terrible name. And I couldn't think of a worse time in history to launch an airline. I suppose leases are cheap, at least.

Seven months ago was a vastly different era

dc855

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:41 am

kyrone wrote:
dc855 wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

I tried to look but I cannot find this exact piece of information online. I however have a strong recollection of seeing this somewhere. Maybe it was in a paper or on the radio or maybe they've even edited the article that I saw it in. Or I might have seen this in a dream. :rotfl: There are however plenty of quotes online about leasing rates being very low right now (unsurprisingly), but since I cannot back this particular point up it up, it is fair to take it with a grain of salt.

Is this it:

https://turisti.is/2020/06/new-icelandi ... aking-off/

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

IrishLessor

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:56 am

There certainly are some advantages on the cost side as a result of this pandemic. Namely aircraft lease rates and fuel costs. However, the question is what long term sustainable competitive advantage would they have. This doesn't feel like an airline that has expansion ideas, so I can't see scale as being their goal.

Icelandair might be legacy but it is good at what it does and can be competitive on price, it's especially competitive in the business cabin. They have a lot of connecting passengers at KEF. Surprisingly, WOW was said to have had 95% point-to-point traffic, which was great for Iceland.

My opinion is this airline will be too leisure price orientated who will struggle to survive against Icelandair who will have much better yields and connecting traffic through a network carrier approach. We learned from WOW that there were some new markets worth pursuing from KEF, like some sun routes like ALC, Icelandair's opportunity.Not confident this is a long term.viable project.

airsmiles

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:25 am

klm617 wrote:
airsmiles wrote:
Yawn. Another low-fare start up who wants to lose some investors money. How many times do these ventures have to start and fail before people learn. After five decades of watching these startups undermine the whole airline industry, I’ve lost my patience. If you want to know why there’s a race to the bottom for employee benefits and conditions, not to mention onboard passenger service, then look here.

Low fare carriers are not the enemy greedy investors and bad management are the ones who undermine the airline industry. Low fare carriers were not around when Eastern, TWA, Pan Am and all these mergers to place to eliminate competition so the airlines could leverage themselves into a place of power to force the customer to do what ever and pay whatever they wanted them to do. I champion airlines like WOW Air and the like that at least give people choice as far as pricing goes.

So you don’t think Wow and Norwegian had any effect on other airlines and their bad employment practices were acceptable? Even a well-manager LCC like Ryanair still causes a race to the bottom that other airlines have to respond to.

Then there’s the environmental impact. These airlines might operate newer fuel efficient aircraft but LCC’s have created a huge new demand for flying that didn’t exist before. The additional environmental emissions are huge but most people try and ignore that. Apart from feeding people’s selfish right to fly anywhere for peanuts, I really can’t see much benefit from airlines like Play and other low fare airlines.

A330Inter

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:15 am

airsmiles wrote:
Apart from feeding people’s selfish right to fly anywhere for peanuts, I really can’t see much benefit from airlines like Play and other low fare airlines.

Thank god for these low cost airlines, or more accurately, disruptive airline business models to shake things up in this beautiful but very old minded industry...
Price paid on full service carriers was definitely not up to the service quality standard and these low cost airlines showed that you can still get from A to Z safely for the real price it costs.
I am aware a lot of people lost their job, but also a lot of other people got a job in these new airlines,
Also a lot of people, selfish like me, were given the chance to travel and explore the world, visit family and friends, for a reasonable fee.
For the un-sustainable business models (like WOW), let them Play ( :D ) for a bit and eventually the market stabilizes. As someone above said, no-one forces full service carriers to match them, but they should ensure their product is different to justify the price mark-up.

PANAMsterdam

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:34 am

klm617 wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

Low fare carriers are not the enemy greedy investors and bad management are the ones who undermine the airline industry. Low fare carriers were not around when Eastern, TWA, Pan Am and all these mergers to place to eliminate competition so the airlines could leverage themselves into a place of power to force the customer to do what ever and pay whatever they wanted them to do. I champion airlines like WOW Air and the like that at least give people choice as far as pricing goes.

Ehm... Southwest?
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

dabpit

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Has there been any indication on which cities they are going to fly to?
Carpe Diem

TWA302

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:34 pm

dabpit wrote:
Has there been any indication on which cities they are going to fly to?

It is in the article:

"It is not known where Play will fly. The company’s original plan was to start regular flights to Copenhagen, Berlin, London, Alicante, Tenerife and Paris. Later, the plan is to start flights to North America — to New York, Boston, Baltimore and Toronto."

MIflyer12

Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm

airsmiles wrote:
Then there’s the environmental impact. These airlines might operate newer fuel efficient aircraft but LCC’s have created a huge new demand for flying that didn’t exist before. The additional environmental emissions are huge but most people try and ignore that. Apart from feeding people’s selfish right to fly anywhere for peanuts, I really can’t see much benefit from airlines like Play and other low fare airlines.

I'm confused by the 'logic' employed here. We shouldn't have more LCC operators using fuel efficient new planes... to allow legacy carriers to continue polluting with older aircraft and lower density seating? If you want to cut emissions, tax fuel for carriers or ticket purchases by consumers. Locking in the legacy model doesn't help consumers or the environment - but it is favored by lower-productive, monopoly-rent-seeking legacy carrier employees.

klm617

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:43 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
klm617 wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

Ehm... Southwest?

Southwest is not a LCC carrier for price sensitive travelers. Their prices are right in line with the big 3. I have never found WN fares to be that much lower when booking travel.
Last edited by klm617 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 pm

airsmiles wrote:
klm617 wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

So you don’t think Wow and Norwegian had any effect on other airlines and their bad employment practices were acceptable? Even a well-manager LCC like Ryanair still causes a race to the bottom that other airlines have to respond to.

No one forces any one to follow the low fare carriers to the bottom as you say. There is a market for everyone to capture. Legacies can cater to their customers just as the LCC can cater to theirs. As far as the environment argument the first thing should be out lawing anything greater than high density seating so that more people can be moved on a given aircraft. Business class and first class take up a lot of space on an aircraft and should be removed in that case. It's a myth that carriers have to price match low fare carriers. An airline operating a narrow body 4 or 5 times a week is no threat to anyone if anything they stimulate a market that didn't even exist.

airsmiles

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
airsmiles wrote:

I'm confused by the 'logic' employed here. We shouldn't have more LCC operators using fuel efficient new planes... to allow legacy carriers to continue polluting with older aircraft and lower density seating? If you want to cut emissions, tax fuel for carriers or ticket purchases by consumers. Locking in the legacy model doesn't help consumers or the environment - but it is favored by lower-productive, monopoly-rent-seeking legacy carrier employees.

It’s good that more efficient aircraft are coming on stream but my point was that a whole new bunch of people are now flying that didn’t before. That means hundreds or thousands more aircraft pumping out emissions and an airline industry that is creating much greater TOTAL emissions. People like Play, Wow and Norwegian enter the market at crazy prices then eventually burn. I still think LCC’s are a mixed blessing when you consider the emissions and the adverse impact to industry employment practices, long-term financial stability and lowering of service offerings.

Ishrion

MOM Air - New Icelandic Low-Cost Carrier

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:33 pm

I can't tell if this is a joke.

Introducing... MOM Air: https://momair.is/

A pink livery that flipped WOW Air's logo.

According to their website, "a press conference and presentation will be held on 11 November at 10:00. The meeting will be broadcast live on both social media and the MOM air website."

The fleet will consist of six A320neos...

Nestle around in mommy's lap and let mommy pamper you in these eco-friendly flight options. The jet engines of the planes consume considerably less fuel than other Icelandic aviation options, and thus the carbon footprint of each seat is many times less.

MOM Air plans to fly from Iceland (Reykjavik) to London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, New York, Washington, Boston, Toronto, Dublin and Glasgow.

Bookings are supposedly going to open on November 9.

MOM air is a super-low-cost airline headquartered in Iceland that will transport passengers to and from the country. Our main destinations are in mainland Europe and the USA.

Mom is economical in finance and business. All in-flight services will be optional. Whether it's mommy food, reading material on board, charging for electronics, internet, luggage space, toilet paper, hand soap, choice of seats and much more. In this way, we will break new ground in Icelandic aviation history with low prices and services.

You always know what you're up to with Mom.

They also have a Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/momairlines/

Thoughts? I have no idea what to think about this. It's sort of like a combination of WOW Air and the red airline that hasn't started, PLAY.

HNLSLCPDX

Re: MOM Air - New Icelandic Low-Cost Carrier

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:40 pm

If you cannot tell if this is a joke or not, then the joke is on you.

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:48 pm

I just had Spongebob flashbacks.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

T18

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:51 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

Well thanks now I'm thinking about Wumbo again.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Ziyulu

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Icelandair is already a low cost carrier so now they have competition.

GSOtoIND

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Who knew Airbus made an A320neo variant with what appear to be BR715s from a 717?

jreeves96

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Bruh..

c933103

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:20 pm

So 320neo is now MoM?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
You are now at your youngest moment in your remaining life.

DylanHarvey

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Icelandair is already a low cost carrier so now they have competition.

Eh they have a better onboard product then a lot of airlines. 33” of pitch in a 757, less dense than DL, and UA for 757’s. They are the like AS of Iceland IMO

Antarius

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:23 pm

GSOtoIND wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Who knew Airbus made an A320neo variant with what appear to be BR715s from a 717?

And a special wing fence variant!
Militant Centrist
Let's all just use some common sense

Devilfish

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:30 pm

GSOtoIND wrote:

That should explain this..... :airplane:
Ishrion wrote:
The jet engines of the planes consume considerably less fuel than other Icelandic aviation options, and thus the carbon footprint of each seat is many times less.

Wonder how much they will be charging the fish? :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: But the livery alone had others beat. :biggrin:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

InnsbruckFlyer

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Really??? Can't the Icelandics just come to terms with that WOW Air was a failure? There's no need for WOW 2.0, MOM Air, or PLAY. It's ridiculous, really.
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

jeffrey0032j

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:36 pm

What's next? Rotate clockwise to 3O3 Air, anti-clockwise to EOE air?

Boeing757100

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:47 pm

This is one of those bruh moments. We all just sit there and stare in silence
Boeing is bringing back the 707 tomorrow, with Shinkai as the Chief Executive Officer and FLAIRPORT as the Chief Financial Officer.

Devilfish

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:04 pm

c933103 wrote:
So 320neo is now MoM?

That may be an indication of how the pandemic has shrunk the market. :scared:

Antarius wrote:
And a special wing fence variant!

Airbus must've been asking too much for the newfangled sharklets! :house:

jeffrey0032j wrote:
What's next? Rotate clockwise to 3O3 Air, anti-clockwise to EOE air?

Maybe rearrange to OMM :hypnotized: .....or OWW :confused:

SWADawg

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:08 pm

This is a joke. It reminds me of the pilot joke we used to tell when we saw them taxiing around the different airports. “You know when the pilot decides to do ailerons rolls the side of the plane says WOW MOM WOW!”
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

trinidadeG

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:16 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Introducing... MOM Air: https://momair.is/

Fly MOM and FlyPOP. Interesting. :D

New UK Airline Flypop Set To Launch India Service in 2021

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... rvice-2021

2eng2efficient

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:20 pm

I needed a good laugh today!

2eng2efficient

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:26 pm

T18 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

East? I thought you meant “Weast!”

Ishrion

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Did MOM Air seriously get moved into the PLAY thread?

They're separate airlines...

WOW isn't even "relaunching" as MOM?

Devilfish

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:34 pm

trinidadeG wrote:
Fly MOM and FlyPOP. Interesting. :D

Do these mean they'd be nickel & diming their passengers :?:

trinidadeG wrote:
New UK Airline Flypop Set To Launch India Service in 2021

:crossfingers: Hopefully, they wouldn't have to shorten their name to FLOP :!:

hrc773

Re: Updated: WOW Air to relaunch as MOM

Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:17 pm

https://grapevine.is/news/2020/11/06/ne ... of-lawyer/

Well, this might be a fun twist to the "MOM Air" launch. Supposedly the airline is real, others are still skeptical.

debonair

Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 am

...and I guess first a/c will be registered TF-DAD, right?! :duck:

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:37 am

T18 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Did you get your undergrad in Wumbology??? :biggrin:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

JetBuddy

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:32 am

WOW Air goes belly up. Of course it becomes MOM Air.

jreeves96

Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:50 am

I refuse to believe this is real.

af773atmsp

Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:37 am

Remember, anything goes in the crazy year of 2020.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

mooseofspruce

Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:26 am

Even for 2020 standards, I find this particularly dumbfounding.
I saw a flock of Moosen! Many much moosen! Out in the woods, in the wood-es, in the woodsen!

spinkid

Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:57 am

After reading the article on Iceland's Grapevine web site it certainly appears to be a joke or piece of performance art. They point out that the web site is registered to an artist and the woman who is planning to launch WOW as PLAY owns the intellectual property rights to WOW and stated that she looks forward to being amused at the news conference, or most likely MOM will be facing some legal action.

A visit to their website will make it perfectly clear they won't be flying to an airport near you.. The would likely end up with an angry Karen who booked a "non covid" flight

"Covid-19
My mother will break new ground in Icelandic aviation history by offering covid and noncovid flights in these historical times.

People who are quarantined, infected, exposed to infection, or have antibodies after infection may travel together. The aircraft are specially marked and the flight crews of these aircraft will only be individuals with a positive antibody test.

Passengers and flight crews of noncovid flights must meet strict conditions.

NOTE that destinations may vary between covid and noncovid flies."
Last edited by spinkid on Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

avier

Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:00 am

MOM will go belly-up and then relaunch as LOL.

airberlin2017

Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:28 pm

REYKJAVíK, ICELAND, November 9, 2020 /EINPresswire.com/ -- MOM Air, a newly launched Icelandic Airline with main destinations between Iceland, Europe, and the USA are looking to set off as early as March 2021. The airline will offer travelers super low-cost flights while highlighting the importance of gender equality in the aviation industry. A spokesperson for the airline shared over the weekend that MOM Air will make history in Icelandic Aviation, making flights cheaper and more enjoyable.

Although international travel is yet back at full capacity, with some European countries and the U.K. announcing a second lockdown to combat against the spread of the novel coronavirus – MOM Air is positive that it will be taking its first flights as soon as March 2021. Securing financial support and preparations for flights and its booking system has taken months to finalize, but the airline is optimistic that its low costing flights and attractive onboard services will attract interested travelers looking to travel between Europe, the USA, and Iceland.

“We have been working endlessly to provide a better, safer, and more enjoyable travel experience for all our passengers. "MOM Air is not only willing to improve its services, but we take gender equality extremely seriously. We will have a 50% if not more female staff, filling various roles, from captains, managers, ground control, and more,” the spokesperson shared.

Additionally, the airline has announced that a new booking system for passengers will allow them to register for a period and destination and will be notified once seats become available. Using this system, as opposed to the current traditional booking system, the airline will maximize its fleet, lowering its carbon footprint with further practical gains.

Long-term financial security for the new airline has been secured in cooperation with both foreign and Icelandic investors, looking to boost travel between its main destinations, while retaining a fleet and staff of at least 50. The airline company has ensured that a practical business model is designed and put to work.

“Although bigger airlines offer an endless list of onboard services, we will make sure that all our services are optional. Whether it's reading materials, internet, luggage space, seat selection to mommy food – passengers will have the liberty to choose what they need, and what they don’t, costing them less and creating a practical business model,” a source for the airline shared.

Airlines have been keeping prices low for short flights, advertising cheap tickets, but asking passengers an additional charge for check-in luggage. MOM Air announced that it will offer its two first seats on every flight for free, while its advance booking system, Hyper Flexible Transcendence or HFx will offer options to search for free seats first.

International travel has yet to make a full comeback in the last few months of 2020, with the industry seeing a loss of nearly €613 billion in export revenues for major tourism destinations, MOM will offer both COVID and non-COVID flights during these challenging times. “As a new airline, launching during a time where international travel has seen its sharpest decline ever, passengers will be able to book without making a payment beforehand or unbook without extra cost on short notice cancellations,” the spokesperson reassured.

With thousands of grounded flights, international borders still closed and many countries considering going into a second lockdown, air travel and tourism has been one of the most affected industries during the global pandemic.

The initiative taken by the company comes from years of Icelandic aviation knowledge and industry expertise. The company is steadfast looking to provide new solutions on the environmental impact air travel has on a global scale, but also ensure that gender equality stays at the heart of the business.

Although MOM Air is extremely optimistic that it will be setting off early next year, the airline intends to hold an online press conference on the 11th of November 2020 and will inform interested media outlets about its projection for the coming months. Those looking to partake in the conference can send an email to [email protected] or visit their website at www.momair.is.

Odee Friðriksson
(CEO and Founder)
MOM air

https://www.einnews.com/amp/pr_news/530 ... march-2021

airberlin2017

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:05 pm

The Link in the bookingengine is published (currently still offline):

momair.is/bokunarsida

lightsaber

Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:24 pm

Please remember to comment when posting a link. One reason we require a comment is that it is a defense versus spam bots.
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

JannEejit

Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:12 pm

avier wrote:
MOM will go belly-up and then relaunch as LOL.

OMG might be a better option...

russyyz

Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:01 pm

Well we do have OWG in Canada now... (sun flights from Nolinair operated as Off We Go but promoted as OWG
Can't wait to get back on those big international airliners again soon! 815 flights in my lifetime, and counting.

debonair

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:56 pm

airberlin2017 wrote:
The Link in the bookingengine is published (currently still offline):

momair.is/bokunarsida

The booking engine is down for repairs... :scratchchin: mom air will start new homepage shortly.

ENGLISH

You broke mommy’s website! Thanks, this helps mommy become even stronger and better. In the meantime we have decided to turn off the booking machine while we do repairs.

We are also working on translating the site for english speakers. NOTE that we will be using http://www.momairline.com, and not momair dot com (which was previously taken, and currently disputed).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos