Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Air North's Winter '19 "milk run"

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:00 pm

4N has began October 31st, a once weekly scheduled service routing Whitehorse – Watson Lake – Prince George – Kelowna – Nanaimo – Vancouver and return.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... ce-in-w19/

Flights are operated with...

Dominion301

Re: Air North's Winter '19 "milk run"

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Wow that’s fascinating. When was the last time Watson Lake had any scheduled air service?

Carfield

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 pm

$499CAD plus tax seems a bit expensive but it may worth it!

There is no scheduled flight in Watson Lake... well now there is this new flight...

Carfield

AY104

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Wow! That is exciting. I always wanted to visit Whitehorse, and this multi-stop flight would be an amazing way to get there!
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

airnorth

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:38 pm

And the flight leaving Vancouver back north leaves from the south terminal, so it is much easier and quicker to check in, and proceed through security.

Amchi757300

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Why would 4N schedule service into Nanaimo? at first brush it seems pretty darn close to YVR.

Like what would a ticket from YCD to YVR even cost that makes it economical to include in this routing?

yeginleduc

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Whats the connection with Air North and Nanaimo? are they trying to gain revenue with the YCD-YLW sector?

WS7M8

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 am

The article that the originator of this thread posted notes that Air North opens public booking to the route, which originally served as a private charter. My guess is that the flight is mostly for a resource company (ie they are guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue per flight). The interesting routing is likely driven by logistics and/or where many of the said resource company's personnel have basing options. Would be an interesting way to get from YVR to Whitehorse.
Last edited by WS7M8 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 am

WS7M8 wrote:
yeginleduc wrote:
Whats the connection with Air North and Nanaimo? are they trying to gain revenue with the YCD-YLW sector?

The article that the originator of this thread posted notes that Air North opens public booking to the route, which originally served as a private charter. My guess is that the flight is mostly for a resource company (ie they are guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue per flight). The interesting routing is likely driven by logistics and/or where many of the said resource company's personnel have basing options. Would be an interesting way to get from YVR to Whitehorse.

Hopefully they keep the public offering for the flight into the summer. I would love to try it when the sun is up for most of the day.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

WS7M8

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:33 am

yeginleduc wrote:

I'd be quite curious to know how Air North does on segments like that within this flight. There are so many possibilities within this six leg flight. There is a decent-sized market for flights from YYJ to YLW, and perhaps some of that traffic is leaked from YCD. But one time a week and at marginal times won't do much to drum up business. I'd rather do YCD YVR YLW. Still, every extra dollar counts. My guess is that the resource-related traffic that was driving this previous private charter flight is drying up and this might be a last gasp to keep it going. Will be an interesting crowd....I'm guessing 85% of the passengers will be from BC to Watson Lake or vice versa, with perhaps a limited amount of spillover doing Vancouver to Whitehorse, as Air North has a decent presence in this market.

FlyingViking

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:42 am

Any chance Air North will use the Hawker 748 on this route?

gregn21

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:26 am

FlyingViking wrote:

737-500, I believe

Dominion301

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:53 am

AY104 wrote:
Wow! That is exciting. I always wanted to visit Whitehorse, and this multi-stop flight would be an amazing way to get there!

It’s definitely a place worth visiting. I would love to go back there someday.

WS7M8 wrote:
yeginleduc wrote:

I'd be quite curious to know how Air North does on segments like that within this flight. There are so many possibilities within this six leg flight. There is a decent-sized market for flights from YYJ to YLW, and perhaps some of that traffic is leaked from YCD. But one time a week and at marginal times won't do much to drum up business. I'd rather do YCD YVR YLW. Still, every extra dollar counts. My guess is that the resource-related traffic that was driving this previous private charter flight is drying up and this might be a last gasp to keep it going. Will be an interesting crowd....I'm guessing 85% of the passengers will be from BC to Watson Lake or vice versa, with perhaps a limited amount of spillover doing Vancouver to Whitehorse, as Air North has a decent presence in this market.

It could also be that the company chartering the flight never needs more than say 100 seats a week and have green lighted 4N to sell the remainder as a scheduled flight to help keep the charter fees down.

I guess this weekly will use YVR South as the flight won’t be security cleared thanks to the Watson Lake stop.

airnorth

Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 am

The responses are exactly correct, this started as a charter flight for personnel to the resource sector in the Watson Lake area. Basically the employees are from Vancouver, Nanaimo, and Prince George. Any extra seats, and freight space is offered to the general public. I definitely want to take this milk run one day. One thing to note though, these flights are dry, as in no alcohol as the employees are basically on the clock once on the aircraft, so it is against the mining companies policy to consume alcohol, so none is offered on these flights.

oldannyboy

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 am

gregn21 wrote:
FlyingViking wrote:

737-500, I believe

Would you happen to know whether the old Avros are still used regularly for pax services??.. :o

Dominion301

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
gregn21 wrote:
FlyingViking wrote:

737-500, I believe

Would you happen to know whether the old Avros are still used regularly for pax services??.. :o

4N still have 2 Hawkers in their fleet as per their website's fleet page: https://www.flyairnorth.com/Experience/our-fleet.aspx. I would imagine the 748s are occasional subs nowadays on the ATR routes. If you really want to fly one, I'd imagine organizing a group sightseeing charter would be your best bet.

Unfortunately though it appears that they retired their sole 732C. :(

FlyingViking

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 am

I would go on a Hawker charter anytime if it ever were to be arranged. I'm in for 2 seats.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos