Blerg
Topic Author

Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Good evening,

Seems like Lufthansa will be making some reductions in its onboard offering for passengers travelling in economy and premium economy class.

1. On long haul flights, Lufthansa will only offer a small cold vegetarian snack as the pre-landing meal, with no choice
2. Currently on flights with a block time of over 10 hours, Lufthansa offers a small hot tray with two choices
3. Currently on flights with a block time of under 10 hours, Lufthansa offers snack boxes with hot food
4. The only positive change is that all passengers will receive a half liter bottle of water

These changes will be applied starting from 28.11.2019.

Source: https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa-re ... l-service/

I wonder if these cuts are related to the financial difficulties faced by Austrian Airlines, Eurowings and SN Brussels. Personally I am surprised they are reducing the food offer for passengers in premium economy as the offering was nothing spectacular yet prices weren't that low.

From Frankfurt this should affect all US destinations west of Chicago I suppose? Asia is pretty much safe as most of their flights are over 10 hours. So cuts might happen on flights to Iran, Persian Gulf and India.

Noshow

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:35 pm

You lost me at "small cold vegetarian snack with no choice" :biggrin:

vhtje

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Blerg wrote:
small cold vegetarian snack as the pre-landing meal, with no choice

Well, that's a cheering thought on a dark, cold mid-autumn evening.

A reason to avoid LH, I guess. (Although, are people ever swayed by onboard catering in these days of price price price price?)
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

gatibosgru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Sounds like "premium" economy isn't very premium.
@DadCelo

Noshow

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:45 pm

They are said to want to buy Alitalia. Is this where the catering funding is needed to be saved for?

AA747123

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Didnt BA also cut way back on catering a few years ago? Charging for everything in the main cabin?

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:56 pm

AA747123 wrote:
Didnt BA also cut way back on catering a few years ago? Charging for everything in the main cabin?

From what I remember they removed the second meal on flights over 10 hours, I suppose they serve a snack or something before landing. Also in the article it says BA did improve catering in their own premium economy class. I think LH should have done the same though I think it would have been difficult as premium economy gets the same meal as economy class.

I remember about two years on a OS ORD-VIE, we were given a muffing before landing. Wasn't a great feeling honestly.

AWACSooner

Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:59 pm

Well, the long haul LCC's are finally eating into the legacies and the product degradation has begun!

Scarebus34

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Flew them in PE last year TATL... the catering left a lot to be desired. Seems it’s going from bad to worse.

dcajet

vhtje wrote:
Blerg wrote:
small cold vegetarian snack as the pre-landing meal, with no choice

Well, that's a cheering thought on a dark, cold mid-autumn evening.

A reason to avoid LH, I guess. (Although, are people ever swayed by onboard catering in these days of price price price price?)

Lufty is just adjusting its service bar to the low height set by BA last year. A cold vegetarian snack as a pre-landing meal is exactly what BA serves these days (usually a tiny vegetarian wrap with a microscopic Dairy Milk chocolate bar.)
Last edited by dcajet on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

GalebG4

I think they are first Legacy in Europe to make this move when it comes to long haul.

ikramerica

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm

This kind if cut is frustrating because one can’t compensate by buying a hot meal before boarding.

You wake up, you are hungry, they give you cereal and milk and a piece of fruit. I guess that’s fine. You won’t starve.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

dcajet

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 pm

GalebG4 wrote:
I think they are first Legacy in Europe to make this move when it comes to long haul.

BA did it last year.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Well, the long haul LCC's are finally eating into the legacies and the product degradation has begun!

But is that really the case with LH? Their long-haul flights depart from MUC and FRA, two airports with limited (or none?) LCC long-haul flights. Furthermore, most transfers they carry on these flights come from Italy, Balkans, eastern Europe and the Middle East ... all areas with little to none LCC competition. Only two markets that could have affected them were Rome and Athens out of which Norwegian offers some long-haul flights.

To me this seems like LH generally not being able to compete efficiently or that they have expanded way too much from two hubs not that far apart one from the other.

GalebG4

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:07 pm

dcajet wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:

BA did it last year.

Then it is just evolution of the product, nothing new if BA already did it.

GalebG4

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Blerg wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

But is that really the case with LH? Their long-haul flights depart from MUC and FRA, two airports with limited (or none?) LCC long-haul flights. Furthermore, most transfers they carry on these flights come from Italy, Balkans, eastern Europe and the Middle East ... all areas with little to none LCC competition. Only two markets that could have affected them were Rome and Athens out of which Norwegian offers some long-haul flights.

To me this seems like LH generally not being able to compete efficiently or that they have expanded way too much from two hubs not that far apart one from the other.

It is just cut costs and make better financial results. If passengers don’t have problem with product, then why they would care.

george77300

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:18 pm

dcajet wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:

BA did it last year.

They did not. In fact quite the opposite.

BA announced and rolled out new Catering in Premium Economy, main service being hot full meal with business class food. Also upgraded the second service to a hot snack (not cold) and with options!

BA’s new catering is very good. Far better than one cold veg option LH will be providing.

oldannyboy

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:18 pm

As if their catering wasn't mediocre already! (...and portions tiny..)

A few side thoughts:
1) BA have actually improved their catering recently (I'm talking long haul here...), and are upping their game
2) I wouldn't necessarily associate this with LCC (again, long hau) competition, because factually there is none at either FRA or MUC, and very little anyway generally from Europe, with the LEVEL and DY "enclaves"...
3) LH (and by and large the whole LH group) is having to face it's own demons at this stage - they have a number of [costly] issues to resolve, hence are trying left and right to come up with very lean, efficient, cost-predictable operations in order to stem losses from their somewhat haphazard and uncontrolled growth (I'd call it a ballooning process)

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:19 pm

GalebG4 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

It is just cut costs and make better financial results. If passengers don’t have problem with product, then why they would care.

But how do we know passengers don't have a problem with the product? Personally most people I know look forward to a pre-arrival meal especially on longer flights. For many passengers especially in secondary eastern European airports, LH is the only option when flying to north America or Asia.

But hey, let LH cut costs, become less passenger friendly but then they should not complain when their passengers switch to Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Qatar ... heck I think even US carriers might be offering a better product on transatlantic flights than LH... and that says a lot.

seemyseems

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:23 pm

KLM also made some changes to their catering offering in Economy Class, IMO it’s gone down hill.
seemyseems in ATL

GolfBravoRomeo

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Does LH staff its long haul flights with more than the minimum required number of FAs? If so this could be the first step in dropping an FA.

xxcr

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Not sure how an airline that's rated 5 stars can offer this kind of service.... i flew LH from CPH-MUC-SFO and they are not worth the 5 stars...

flyguy89

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Wow. US legacies are starting to look very premium indeed compared to the often-vaunted European legacies these days. On a recent DL long-haul, I was offered a mid-flight fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie and a choice of hot pre-landing snacks in Economy.

dcajet

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:38 pm

george77300 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:

BA did it last year.

BA announced and rolled out new Catering in Premium Economy, main service being hot full meal with business class food. Also upgraded the second service to a hot snack (not cold) and with options!

BA’s new catering is very good. Far better than one cold veg option LH will be providing.

I must have been hallucinating then when BA served me a cold tiny vegetarian wrap with a small chocolate bar before landing on a LHR-DXB last month. The first meal (lunch) was very nice, and they offered a small Magnum ice cream bar mid-flight. Same goes for the pre-arrival breakfast on flights from the US East Coast to LHR... it is usually just a muffin with a yogurt if memory serves.

Ziyulu

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:49 pm

US Carriers are not bad when it comes to international long haul service.

eurotrader85

Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:52 pm

And this fro a '5 star airline' according to Skytrax. What a disappointing development to read on a rainy Wednesday night.

I have to wonder, where do the full service carriers get off on the notion that a few dollars makes an ounce of difference. With LHs, and BAs for that matter, buying power, how much does it really cost them to put a proper meal out. In BA's case, a bottle of water even on short haul. I'm willing to bet they can do it for €5 or less. if they bumped tickets up by that amount no one would batter an eyelid, even more so on long haul as this announcement is for. The legacy carriers are losing the plot, and for sure customers.

GalebG4

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:16 pm

Blerg wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

But how do we know passengers don't have a problem with the product? Personally most people I know look forward to a pre-arrival meal especially on longer flights. For many passengers especially in secondary eastern European airports, LH is the only option when flying to north America or Asia.

But hey, let LH cut costs, become less passenger friendly but then they should not complain when their passengers switch to Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Qatar ... heck I think even US carriers might be offering a better product on transatlantic flights than LH... and that says a lot.

From most* east european airports you have other options than just Lufthansa Group airlines, BA, AF, LOT and KLM for North America, ME3, Turkish, Finnair, SAS and Aeroflot for Asian routes so there is a lot of competition when it comes to long haul east European airports.
When it comes to product they can always choose different better product not just cheapest that is available as they can on short haul. But generally low cost trends with ancillary has made harder for passengers to buy right tickets for right price when it comes to food, seat, baggage, internet and drinks.

CPS001

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Wow. And it was already bad. On FRA-MAA, blocked at just under 10 hours and probably the unluckiest route due to the 10 hr cutoff for a second tray meal, lunch is served after takeoff and a palm sized veg/chicken wrap 7 hours later with nothing in between. Now that will be further limited. What a shame.

airbazar

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Personally I don't eat on-board planes so this is mostly irrelevant to me. But I also don't fly long, multi segment itineraries.
This is going to suck for passengers who are connecting in FRA/MUC and don't have time in between flight to grab something to eat. LH may as well just endorse their tickets to EK or DY because those passengers aren't coming back to LH.

THS214

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:34 pm

Noshow wrote:
You lost me at "small cold vegetarian snack with no choice" :biggrin:

There are more than one type of vegetarian food. Ask any vegetarian and they tell you its like fish, chicken, meet.

readytotaxi

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:46 pm

BA have not been a Full Service airline for a while, LH have seen that they got away with it and are trying their luck.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:03 pm

GalebG4 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:

From most* east european airports you have other options than just Lufthansa Group airlines, BA, AF, LOT and KLM for North America, ME3, Turkish, Finnair, SAS and Aeroflot for Asian routes so there is a lot of competition when it comes to long haul east European airports.
When it comes to product they can always choose different better product not just cheapest that is available as they can on short haul. But generally low cost trends with ancillary has made harder for passengers to buy right tickets for right price when it comes to food, seat, baggage, internet and drinks.

Please read more carefully what I wrote. I was referring to secondary destinations in eastern Europe, most of the airlines you mentioned don't even fly to all the primary ones.

thaiflyer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Blerg wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

From what I remember they removed the second meal on flights over 10 hours, I suppose they serve a snack or something before landing. Also in the article it says BA did improve catering in their own premium economy class. I think LH should have done the same though I think it would have been difficult as premium economy gets the same meal as economy class.

I remember about two years on a OS ORD-VIE, we were given a muffing before landing. Wasn't a great feeling honestly.

I fly between LHR and Asia on BA on a regular basis and i can confirm that this is not the case.
In economy they have 2 full servings ( 2 choices after takeoff and 2 breakfast choices before landing for a night flight)
Also the premium economy are getting the same food from the same trolley as the economy passengers.

directorguy

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Real big shame. Imagine flying fom Chennai to Chicago with them. Most people on long trips won't have a proper meal before flying and won't get anything hours after they land either.

airevents

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 pm

What they don´t tell the audience is that these reductions save LH one flight attendant on many flights.

itisi

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:17 am

Did HKG - MUC - LHR - MUC - HKG in Y last year, service was fantastic. Small change like this would not stop me flying with them.
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

bamf777

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 am

BA cut back on pretty much ALL long haul catering a few years back, even Club World didn’t have a choice of starter.
WT+ kept the Club World main meal but everything else on the tray was cut (just like WT) cheese & biscuits, bottle of water etc. Second meal service on flights under 10hrs changed from “afternoon tea” to a single sandwich and east coast USA and mid-east flights changed to amini Kit Kat for 2nd service...
In recent times these decisions have been reversed with all the bad press.
WT+ now has China wear for starter, main, desert, tea cup and metal cutlery. The menu is also differentiated from WT with a more premium starter, desert and 3 CW main meal choices.
WT has much improved main courses, healthier starters and deserts with cheese and biscuits back on the tray. Also mini pretzels with the drinks service were re-introduced.
The mid-flight snacks have been re-introduced with ice cream on day flights and “tuck-boxes” available in the galley on night flights (these were previously cut).
Flights over a certain length now have a hot second meal service (previously the likes of LAX, PHX, LAS, DEN, SAN, SFO had a cold 2nd service).
Fingers tightly crossed this doesn’t mean BA think that they can follow suit again and blame the IAG profit warning and claim that “Enhancements are being made to services in order to compete with competitors”.....
The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent those of my employers positions, strategies or opinions

dtw2hyd

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:56 am

I think in a few years there will be only one class. Those who pay higher fare get a gold star(sticker).

DarthLobster

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:06 am

So what does the “premium” blue on their new livery stand for now? Blue-ish plate special?

airzona11

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:51 am

They should come up with a way (LH and all airlines) who have connections can order catering. That way the passenger pays to cover the service cost, and they better match demand and supply. Kind of a bummer for premium economy.

blrsea

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 am

directorguy wrote:
Real big shame. Imagine flying fom Chennai to Chicago with them. Most people on long trips won't have a proper meal before flying and won't get anything hours after they land either.

True, its going to be bad for passengers connecting at FRA/MUC, like from India to US. The connecting times are typically just couple of hours, and after accounting for deboarding, clearing security and rushing to the connecting flight terminal, one is hardly left with enough time to use the bathrooms and freshen up. The bathrooms at FRA aren't that big too, and have big lines during peak hours. You will get a meal only couple of hours into next flight, and that's around 8-10 hours after the previous proper meal on first flight. Even at US, clearing immigration and collecting baggage is at least 1 hour.

J343

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 am

Europe's Only 5 Star Airline for sure!

Etheereal

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:14 am

From the creators of 5 star airline..

aviationaware

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:14 am

Delta is ramping up Economy service, Lufthansa is ramping down. Quite the contrast indeed.

theasianguy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:19 am

With these changes, Lufthansa economy will be offering the same levels of service as a LCC, but still charge more for the base fare. I can't believe that United is providing a better transatlantic experience than their JV peer. At least UA serves 2 hot meals and a snack on West Coast transatlantic flights.

As they have unbundled fares, their nonstop long hauls are still as expensive as ever in monopoly markets. When Norwegian unbundles fares, at least they only charge $500, while LH continues to charge $1200. Flying LH is no longer pleasant for a multitude of reasons.
1. Charge for seat selection
2. Charge for checked luggage
3. Meal cuts on 10+ hour flights (this announcement)
4. Euro business
5. Terrible punctuality out of FRA
6. Uncompetitive business seats without direct aisle access

I guess only LH First is a good experience these days.

DTVG

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 am

I don’t think LH is great for long haul in Y, but lately I have had worse Experiences even when paying a higher price (such as CX or LX). Obviously the announced change in catering won’t make them any better and apparently we are in a race to the bottom and/or their is a lack of competition on long haul routes.

I think when it comes to C, they definitely are lazy because of their big (corporate) customer base in Germany and the nearby countries. At the same time these C customers just don’t really seem to have high expectations and are happy with the crap they are provided.

hongkongflyer

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:56 am

theasianguy wrote:
With these changes, Lufthansa economy will be offering the same levels of service as a LCC, but still charge more for the base fare. I can't believe that United is providing a better transatlantic experience than their JV peer. At least UA serves 2 hot meals and a snack on West Coast transatlantic flights.

As they have unbundled fares, their nonstop long hauls are still as expensive as ever in monopoly markets. When Norwegian unbundles fares, at least they only charge $500, while LH continues to charge $1200. Flying LH is no longer pleasant for a multitude of reasons.
1. Charge for seat selection
2. Charge for checked luggage
3. Meal cuts on 10+ hour flights (this announcement)
4. Euro business
5. Terrible punctuality out of FRA
6. Uncompetitive business seats without direct aisle access

I guess only LH First is a good experience these days.

and recently introduced "Y- fare" on long haul flights...

usxguy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:04 am

Dang... you will now get more on Condor than Lufty!! I was very surprised on my FRA-PUJ flight in Y+
xx

davies2911

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:04 am

dcajet wrote:
george77300 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

BA did it last year.

I must have been hallucinating then when BA served me a cold tiny vegetarian wrap with a small chocolate bar before landing on a LHR-DXB last month. The first meal (lunch) was very nice, and they offered a small Magnum ice cream bar mid-flight. Same goes for the pre-arrival breakfast on flights from the US East Coast to LHR... it is usually just a muffin with a yogurt if memory serves.

I flew LHR-DXB last Sunday and the second service was a hot pizza which was lovely. The whole experience was much better than my last WTP trip in 2017 to BOS and back.

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:39 am

As far as connecting passengers go, there is also another thing to consider, for its size FRA doesn't have that many airside restaurants especially in the Z gate area. Most of them are small and overcrowded during peak hours, especially at a time when North American flights depart. From what I remember, in the Z gate area there is a McDonald's, a few shops that sell sandwiches (like supermarkets), a bakery and I think a small restaurant by the glass roundabout. Definitely not enough especially if you are having a 2 hour connection and can't afford to wait in line.

Oh and let's not forget about another thing, LH has a 31' seat-pitch in economy class. Hardly 5 star either.

I think this is a miscalculated move that will backfire. Luckily Swiss is still sticking to their much better onboard product... in economy class at least.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos