Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
GalebG4
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 am

Blerg wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

But how do we know passengers don't have a problem with the product? Personally most people I know look forward to a pre-arrival meal especially on longer flights. For many passengers especially in secondary eastern European airports, LH is the only option when flying to north America or Asia.

But hey, let LH cut costs, become less passenger friendly but then they should not complain when their passengers switch to Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Qatar ... heck I think even US carriers might be offering a better product on transatlantic flights than LH... and that says a lot.

From most* east european airports you have other options than just Lufthansa Group airlines, BA, AF, LOT and KLM for North America, ME3, Turkish, Finnair, SAS and Aeroflot for Asian routes so there is a lot of competition when it comes to long haul east European airports.
When it comes to product they can always choose different better product not just cheapest that is available as they can on short haul. But generally low cost trends with ancillary has made harder for passengers to buy right tickets for right price when it comes to food, seat, baggage, internet and drinks.


Please read more carefully what I wrote. I was referring to secondary destinations in eastern Europe, most of the airlines you mentioned don't even fly to all the primary ones.

Why would they fly somewhere where there is no demand (selo), anyway tickets are going to be expensive irrelevant of flying destination as long as there is no real competition. Look you choose your product that you are going to buy like in a store, you are not going to buy a chocolate that you don’t like. Still don’t understand why you are bothered with Lufthansa basic product quality from secondary east European destinations when you can choose your product on both short and long haul flights irrelevant of the airline. If you are buying ticket for your grandma then be a good boy and buy her product that she deserves. In reality nobody really cares about secondary EAST EUROPEAN destinations.
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:02 am

DTVG wrote:
I think when it comes to C, they definitely are lazy because of their big (corporate) customer base in Germany and the nearby countries. At the same time these C customers just don’t really seem to have high expectations and are happy with the crap they are provided.


LH J class is so mediocre, I was shocked. The seat was so narrow, not to mention playing footsie with your seatmate and no aisle access from the window seats. The catering was thoroughly forgettable as well. I mean really, I'd fly AA any day over LH especially in J. And I hate AA.

They definitely have the Germany market cornered. Their FRA hub is also massive enough that they connect city pairs that are relatively unique so that's guaranteed business. Flew NAP-FRA-LAX on LH a few years ago, and that was one of very few choices to fly that route nonstop.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 am

GalebG4 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:
From most* east european airports you have other options than just Lufthansa Group airlines, BA, AF, LOT and KLM for North America, ME3, Turkish, Finnair, SAS and Aeroflot for Asian routes so there is a lot of competition when it comes to long haul east European airports.
When it comes to product they can always choose different better product not just cheapest that is available as they can on short haul. But generally low cost trends with ancillary has made harder for passengers to buy right tickets for right price when it comes to food, seat, baggage, internet and drinks.


Please read more carefully what I wrote. I was referring to secondary destinations in eastern Europe, most of the airlines you mentioned don't even fly to all the primary ones.

Why would they fly somewhere where there is no demand (selo), anyway tickets are going to be expensive irrelevant of flying destination as long as there is no real competition. Look you choose your product that you are going to buy like in a store, you are not going to buy a chocolate that you don’t like. Still don’t understand why you are bothered with Lufthansa basic product quality from secondary east European destinations when you can choose your product on both short and long haul flights irrelevant of the airline. If you are buying ticket for your grandma then be a good boy and buy her product that she deserves. In reality nobody really cares about secondary EAST EUROPEAN destinations.


And how many people around Skopje, Tirana, Sibiu, Iasi, Sarajevo, Kosice ... can afford to treat their grandma to a business class ticket she deserves? Your comment is arrogant and makes little sense. For many the choice is all about LH Group which is reducing onboard quality while keeping the same ticket price. In other words, they are getting less for the same price. For many people out there, when they enter a shop there is only one chocolate brand on the shelves.

Looking at LH Group list of destinations, I think they do care about secondary destinations in eastern Europe, especially Austrian Airlines.
 
RvA
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 am

Most of the flying public don’t buy their air tickets in economy based on the food served. It’s business so if this works to improve margins and stock holder returns then this is a success. Savvy travellers know they are other options, most will just buy on price and/or schedule.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 am

RvA wrote:
Most of the flying public don’t buy their air tickets in economy based on the food served. It’s business so if this works to improve margins and stock holder returns then this is a success. Savvy travellers know they are other options, most will just buy on price and/or schedule.


If that's true then why did BA bring back the service it had before they cut it? Obviously people care enough to have complained or maybe switched to other airlines.
 
FluidFlow
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:39 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:56 am

Does LH still has the glass bottled beer on European routes? I remember I once had to down one on a hop from Munich to Geneva. Was surprised they even offered service on that hop and it was after 10 in the night so I thought why not have a beer and they brought one in a glass bottle. Felt at least luxurious for such a short flight.
 
oschkosch
Posts: 598
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:38 am

FluidFlow wrote:
Does LH still has the glass bottled beer on European routes? I remember I once had to down one on a hop from Munich to Geneva. Was surprised they even offered service on that hop and it was after 10 in the night so I thought why not have a beer and they brought one in a glass bottle. Felt at least luxurious for such a short flight.



Yes, it is typically a Warsteiner Pilsener that is served.

https://www.warsteiner.de/
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:
 
Junglejames
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:07 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

dcajet wrote:

Lufty is just adjusting its service bar to the low height set by BA last year. A cold vegetarian snack as a pre-landing meal is exactly what BA serves these days (usually a tiny vegetarian wrap with a microscopic Dairy Milk chocolate bar.)


Incorrect.
Trans Atlantic, going by reports, seems to be a stupid little snack. But longer distance, BA offer a 2nd meal.
So ignoring narrow bodies, it was only really London to East Coast America which suffered. Certainly to Asia, I noticed no difference in service, and they offer more snacks than you can shake a hairy stick at.
Also, haven't I seen recently that BA are reversing the cuts?

By the sounds of this, Lufthansa is going to a dodgy little snack for all long haul flights. That is worse than BA.
On top of that, Premium Economy seems to be much worse.
 
SwissCanuck
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:45 am

Air Canada called their JV partner LH to complain that their Y passengers were getting jealous as LH serves edible food (AC does not). Had to level the playing field ! I guess it's time to take AF/KLM if LX isn't available at a reasonable price across the pond.
 
RvA
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:58 am

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
Most of the flying public don’t buy their air tickets in economy based on the food served. It’s business so if this works to improve margins and stock holder returns then this is a success. Savvy travellers know they are other options, most will just buy on price and/or schedule.


If that's true then why did BA bring back the service it had before they cut it? Obviously people care enough to have complained or maybe switched to other airlines.


I don’t believe anyone will alter their buying decision because LH serves a cold second meal rather than a warm meal. People, especially in economy, buy for schedule and price. If LH has a better offer than someone else schedule and price wise I don’t think a cold or warm meal option is going to end up making much difference.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:08 am

RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
Most of the flying public don’t buy their air tickets in economy based on the food served. It’s business so if this works to improve margins and stock holder returns then this is a success. Savvy travellers know they are other options, most will just buy on price and/or schedule.


If that's true then why did BA bring back the service it had before they cut it? Obviously people care enough to have complained or maybe switched to other airlines.


I don’t believe anyone will alter their buying decision because LH serves a cold second meal rather than a warm meal. People, especially in economy, buy for schedule and price. If LH has a better offer than someone else schedule and price wise I don’t think a cold or warm meal option is going to end up making much difference.


And what if that passenger is booking the next time and TK, AF, SK or KL are about the same price (which usually is the case)? Why would they pick LH with its downgraded product over their competition which still provides a better experience? From what I know, AF has 32' legroom in economy compared to LH's 31.
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9737
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:14 am

The LH product leaves a lot to be desired anyway, so it makes no difference.
 
User avatar
FLYERLHR
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:18 am

Lufthansa is only 5 stars because of scamtrax - They have a first class section on their long hauls that is why they are five stars. Without their first class cabin, LH would just about become a 4 star airline


xxcr wrote:
Not sure how an airline that's rated 5 stars can offer this kind of service.... i flew LH from CPH-MUC-SFO and they are not worth the 5 stars...
 
User avatar
FLYERLHR
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am

SWISS has also recently reduced service - if you have booked economy light you will only get served a bottle of water and pay for a meal (only from GVA and short-haul flights)
 
J343
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:43 am

DTVG wrote:
I don’t think LH is great for long haul in Y, but lately I have had worse Experiences even when paying a higher price (such as CX or LX). Obviously the announced change in catering won’t make them any better and apparently we are in a race to the bottom and/or their is a lack of competition on long haul routes.

I think when it comes to C, they definitely are lazy because of their big (corporate) customer base in Germany and the nearby countries. At the same time these C customers just don’t really seem to have high expectations and are happy with the crap they are provided.


I would honestly pick CX over LH any day. QR on the other hand is very over rated. Airline of the Year with 3-3-3 on their B787s and 3-4-3 on their B77Ws not to mention the rather thin padding on their B787 Y seats and the shrinking pitch on their B77Ws (going from 33" to 31"). I've never ever had bad experiences with CX. My only comment with CX is the lack of personal air vents and mood lighting in Y. Otherwise, I cannot fault them. Also, BA has better service compared to LH and AF. I always find myself having a chat with BA and CX crew.
 
RvA
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:53 am

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

If that's true then why did BA bring back the service it had before they cut it? Obviously people care enough to have complained or maybe switched to other airlines.


I don’t believe anyone will alter their buying decision because LH serves a cold second meal rather than a warm meal. People, especially in economy, buy for schedule and price. If LH has a better offer than someone else schedule and price wise I don’t think a cold or warm meal option is going to end up making much difference.


And what if that passenger is booking the next time and TK, AF, SK or KL are about the same price (which usually is the case)? Why would they pick LH with its downgraded product over their competition which still provides a better experience? From what I know, AF has 32' legroom in economy compared to LH's 31.


Again we are talking warm second vs cold second meal. I don’t see that as being as big a deal as people say here.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 pm

RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:

I don’t believe anyone will alter their buying decision because LH serves a cold second meal rather than a warm meal. People, especially in economy, buy for schedule and price. If LH has a better offer than someone else schedule and price wise I don’t think a cold or warm meal option is going to end up making much difference.


And what if that passenger is booking the next time and TK, AF, SK or KL are about the same price (which usually is the case)? Why would they pick LH with its downgraded product over their competition which still provides a better experience? From what I know, AF has 32' legroom in economy compared to LH's 31.


Again we are talking warm second vs cold second meal. I don’t see that as being as big a deal as people say here.


It's not just about the second meal, LH onboard product in economy has been going down for a while now. Their inflight entertainment isn't great either. So this is just another thing that was recently downgraded.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 631
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Maybe they are better of when they are investing their money in their service instead of buying stars at Skytrax.....
 
SwissCanuck
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm

FLYERLHR wrote:
SWISS has also recently reduced service - if you have booked economy light you will only get served a bottle of water and pay for a meal (only from GVA and short-haul flights)


Are they really doing this on the JFK flight (the only ex-GVA LX WB flight)?
 
User avatar
FLYERLHR
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:25 pm

no, I stated only short-haul unless swiss believe a 7hr flight is short-haul haha


SwissCanuck wrote:
FLYERLHR wrote:
SWISS has also recently reduced service - if you have booked economy light you will only get served a bottle of water and pay for a meal (only from GVA and short-haul flights)


Are they really doing this on the JFK flight (the only ex-GVA LX WB flight)?
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 9737
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 pm

In the end cold does not have to mean bad. Especially as it will be breakfast in many cases.
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:41 pm

I always enjoyed flying LH YVR-FRA as you got a hot breakfast which AC dumped years ago. Doesn't sound like much but I really enjoyed it as opposed to AC's tiny slice of banana bread of WS's nothing-at-all.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm

RvA wrote:
Most of the flying public don’t buy their air tickets in economy based on the food served.


That … doesn't mean it won't have an impact, positive or negative, on people's perception, though. :roll:
Last edited by travelsonic on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
travelsonic
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm

EDIT: Sorry, double-post of an odd sort, a.net isn't allowing me to delete.
Last edited by travelsonic on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
passyflyer
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 pm

What shocks me most is that it also applies to premium economy. The hard product is quite good and I feel there should also be a significant upgrade when it comes to food.

For economy passengers this seems acceptable to me, even though marketing disposable headphones as an eco-friendly measure is ridiculous.
 
mutu
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:04 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm

But how do we know passengers don't have a problem with the product? Personally most people I know look forward to a pre-arrival meal especially on longer flights. For many passengers especially in secondary eastern European airports, LH is the only option when flying to north America or Asia.

But hey, let LH cut costs, become less passenger friendly but then they should not complain when their passengers switch to Turkish Airlines, Emirates, Qatar ... heck I think even US carriers might be offering a better product on transatlantic flights than LH... and that says a lot.[/quote]

It should also be remembered the airlines monitor what food goes to waste. It is a fact, especially on short haul (away from breakfast) that passengers wasted much of the food. So the demand wasn't as strong as it used to be when airports had fewer quality catering outlets available to passengers pre flight.

Whilst it is indeed true to say catering cutbacks are primarily a cost cutting measure, the product was not the primary decision factor for pax, clearly when picking a short flight..

And the next (similar) trend will be stripping out IFE (heavy, capital expensive, complex and unstable performance) because at some point the majority of pax will stream their own content choice over wifi/pre-downloaded.

As the saying goes, use it or lose it
 
dtremit
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:08 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:11 pm

passyflyer wrote:
What shocks me most is that it also applies to premium economy. The hard product is quite good and I feel there should also be a significant upgrade when it comes to food.


It's sort of shocking they're providing economy catering to premium economy passengers in the first place. The trend elsewhere seems to be towards a streamlined business class catering service -- and loading on a few extra J meals is a lot cheaper way to differentiate the product than upgrading the hard product.
 
RvA
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

And what if that passenger is booking the next time and TK, AF, SK or KL are about the same price (which usually is the case)? Why would they pick LH with its downgraded product over their competition which still provides a better experience? From what I know, AF has 32' legroom in economy compared to LH's 31.


Again we are talking warm second vs cold second meal. I don’t see that as being as big a deal as people say here.


It's not just about the second meal, LH onboard product in economy has been going down for a while now. Their inflight entertainment isn't great either. So this is just another thing that was recently downgraded.


What are the other things that were recently downgraded?
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:27 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
And this fro a '5 star airline' according to Skytrax. What a disappointing development to read on a rainy Wednesday night.

I have to wonder, where do the full service carriers get off on the notion that a few dollars makes an ounce of difference. With LHs, and BAs for that matter, buying power, how much does it really cost them to put a proper meal out. In BA's case, a bottle of water even on short haul. I'm willing to bet they can do it for €5 or less. if they bumped tickets up by that amount no one would batter an eyelid, even more so on long haul as this announcement is for. The legacy carriers are losing the plot, and for sure customers.

Skytrax is a complete joke. I don't know why anyone pays attention to them
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:29 pm

9w748capt wrote:
DTVG wrote:
I think when it comes to C, they definitely are lazy because of their big (corporate) customer base in Germany and the nearby countries. At the same time these C customers just don’t really seem to have high expectations and are happy with the crap they are provided.


LH J class is so mediocre, I was shocked. The seat was so narrow, not to mention playing footsie with your seatmate and no aisle access from the window seats. The catering was thoroughly forgettable as well. I mean really, I'd fly AA any day over LH especially in J. And I hate AA.



Tbf aa's hard and soft product in j is excellent
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
Adipocere
Posts: 323
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:35 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 pm

I don’t think there are too many people discerning enough to buy tickets based on the quality of the ‘second’ meal. I think the way it goes is that pax will put up with an airline replacing every seat cushion with a bed of nails if they priced their tickets $5 cheaper to show up on top of the online travel search boards. That positioning is all that matters.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:23 pm

RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:

Again we are talking warm second vs cold second meal. I don’t see that as being as big a deal as people say here.


It's not just about the second meal, LH onboard product in economy has been going down for a while now. Their inflight entertainment isn't great either. So this is just another thing that was recently downgraded.


What are the other things that were recently downgraded?


Well as someone who has been flying LH for almost two decades I can tell you that legroom has gotten worse, snacks in the galley, inflight entertainment is not the best out there... yet tickets are not cheap.
 
BEG2IAH
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:42 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Recently I flew UA from Chicago via MUC to BEG and then back on LH from BEG via MUC. Catering on LH was horrible (I ate a "beef" meal), service was very mediocre, and they got me hopping mad because I never got the stroller brought at the gate in MUC. They told me "oh, we never bring it". There were other issues so I wrote to them. The email I received from LH was such a joke that I will be avoiding them any way I can. The deterioration in service and attitude is palpable and it's been happening within the last year. Even my parents who don't care about details noticed how much better UA was - the seat, FAs, food, the plane, just everything. I had a few more flights with LH this past year and things are not good.
Flying at the cruising altitude is (mostly) boring. I wish all flights were nothing but endless take offs and landings every 10 minutes or so.
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:07 pm

dtremit wrote:
passyflyer wrote:
What shocks me most is that it also applies to premium economy. The hard product is quite good and I feel there should also be a significant upgrade when it comes to food.


It's sort of shocking they're providing economy catering to premium economy passengers in the first place. The trend elsewhere seems to be towards a streamlined business class catering service -- and loading on a few extra J meals is a lot cheaper way to differentiate the product than upgrading the hard product.

Not really. Look at NH, SQ, JL and others. PE gets the same meals as Y.
 
AdEd
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:23 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
Wow. US legacies are starting to look very premium indeed compared to the often-vaunted European legacies these days. On a recent DL long-haul, I was offered a mid-flight fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie and a choice of hot pre-landing snacks in Economy.


For sure. On a recent UA flight from NRT to ORD (12 hours), we were served two full hot meals and a tasty cold midflight snack. Portions may have been on the smaller side, but it was rather impressive nontheless.
 
dcajet
Posts: 4727
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:31 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Junglejames wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Lufty is just adjusting its service bar to the low height set by BA last year. A cold vegetarian snack as a pre-landing meal is exactly what BA serves these days (usually a tiny vegetarian wrap with a microscopic Dairy Milk chocolate bar.)


Incorrect.
Trans Atlantic, going by reports, seems to be a stupid little snack. But longer distance, BA offer a 2nd meal.
So ignoring narrow bodies, it was only really London to East Coast America which suffered. Certainly to Asia, I noticed no difference in service, and they offer more snacks than you can shake a hairy stick at.
Also, haven't I seen recently that BA are reversing the cuts?

By the sounds of this, Lufthansa is going to a dodgy little snack for all long haul flights. That is worse than BA.
On top of that, Premium Economy seems to be much worse.


Incorrect? Me, myself and I can tell you that it is correct. Again, on a 7+ hr BA LHR-DXB A350-1000 flight last month, the second service is as I described it. Of course, on 10+ hr flights, such as a LHR-EZE, the second service is as it used to be. But then so is on Lufty. Their second service on the FRA-EZE (13 hours) continues to be a hot breakfast.
Keep calm and wash your hands.
 
FreitaMa
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Not sure what is Lufthansa doing. They are selling flights as premium even if you fly Eurowings. And now this. Lufthansa is a strong brand but Spohr destroys the image (brand) and the product more and more. So for continental and intercontinental flights I will keep flying with AirFrance, where the product is getting better with every flight.

Really sad the development. Hopefully they'll get a new CEO bevor the brand is completely destroyed.
 
User avatar
spinotter
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:37 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:03 pm

ikramerica wrote:
This kind if cut is frustrating because one can’t compensate by buying a hot meal before boarding.

You wake up, you are hungry, they give you cereal and milk and a piece of fruit. I guess that’s fine. You won’t starve.


You would not starve or die of thirst either if you received not one molecule of food or drink on the longest nonstop soon to be in existence - SYD-LHR. Talk about a bunch of spoiled human beings!
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:11 pm

IMHO... Some of the airlines see the value in Skytrax as advertising because they support it, otherwise I doubt they would be as prevalent. I'm not saying I think they are the gold standard and I think most of us airgeeks on this site already have our personal favorites and opinions.

As a side note, on a recent LAX to FRA LH flight I heard and saw them offer up coach to premium for $169 and premium to business for $1100.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone
 
User avatar
adv40624
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:41 pm

I have flown LH twice this year from DEN-BUD via FRA. The first trip was in business and the second trip was in economy. I did not pick LH based on their meal service, but rather their schedule. I knew ahead of time that their business class was old school. No direct aisle access, but I honestly was surprised at how poor their seats were compared to other airlines. The seats felt narrow like the old business class on UA's 767. I honestly felt their business class was a poor value for the price paid, so on my second trip I flew economy and saved the company money. The meals were nothing to brag about in business or economy, but I did not pick the flights based on meal service. I picked LH for the simple reason they offered the schedule that got me to BUD and back to DEN with the least connections and flight times that worked for my schedule. I honestly would be surprised to see people move to another airline based on meal service. UA did this years ago on their flights to Europe. The second meal in economy before landing is a cold meal with a cup of yogurt and a warmed up croissant. In my opinion, LH is doing nothing that other airlines have already done.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Some of the responses on this thread are ridiculous. Nobody purchases an airline ticket based on quality/quantity of meals served onboard particularly in Y.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:54 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
So what does the “premium” blue on their new livery stand for now? Blue-ish plate special?


If you recall, they lightened it. It’s no longer premium.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:58 pm

Quality of the meal onboard is definitely an important factor in building a brand of a certain airline. As the brand gets stronger more and more people will be familiar with the airline which makes it more likely they will fly with them in the future. Saying that people are just after the cheapest fare is wrong because then why are airlines still offering something free of charge? If that argument was valid then buy on board would have become the norm by now.

Furthermore, if onboard catering did not play a role, then Delta would not have bothered with bringing back meals on certain domestic routes in the US. They obviously feel that cheap fare and a convenient schedule are no longer enough to bring them customers.
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm

adv40624 wrote:
I have flown LH twice this year from DEN-BUD via FRA. The first trip was in business and the second trip was in economy. I did not pick LH based on their meal service, but rather their schedule. I knew ahead of time that their business class was old school. No direct aisle access, but I honestly was surprised at how poor their seats were compared to other airlines. The seats felt narrow like the old business class on UA's 767. I honestly felt their business class was a poor value for the price paid, so on my second trip I flew economy and saved the company money. The meals were nothing to brag about in business or economy, but I did not pick the flights based on meal service. I picked LH for the simple reason they offered the schedule that got me to BUD and back to DEN with the least connections and flight times that worked for my schedule. I honestly would be surprised to see people move to another airline based on meal service. UA did this years ago on their flights to Europe. The second meal in economy before landing is a cold meal with a cup of yogurt and a warmed up croissant. In my opinion, LH is doing nothing that other airlines have already done.


I fly long haul business class several times a year. I want a comfortable, lie flat seat and friendly, attentive service. I rarely eat all the food put in front of me and often refuse courses like the appetizer, cheese plate or dessert. Large breakfasts before landing just make me feel bloated. Water, coffee, yogurt and fruit is perfect.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Blerg wrote:
Quality of the meal onboard is definitely an important factor in building a brand of a certain airline. As the brand gets stronger more and more people will be familiar with the airline which makes it more likely they will fly with them in the future. Saying that people are just after the cheapest fare is wrong because then why are airlines still offering something free of charge? If that argument was valid then buy on board would have become the norm by now.

Furthermore, if onboard catering did not play a role, then Delta would not have bothered with bringing back meals on certain domestic routes in the US. They obviously feel that cheap fare and a convenient schedule are no longer enough to bring them customers.


So you purchase tickets based on what airline has the best/most food onboard? I find that odd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 4237
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:12 pm

chepos wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Quality of the meal onboard is definitely an important factor in building a brand of a certain airline. As the brand gets stronger more and more people will be familiar with the airline which makes it more likely they will fly with them in the future. Saying that people are just after the cheapest fare is wrong because then why are airlines still offering something free of charge? If that argument was valid then buy on board would have become the norm by now.

Furthermore, if onboard catering did not play a role, then Delta would not have bothered with bringing back meals on certain domestic routes in the US. They obviously feel that cheap fare and a convenient schedule are no longer enough to bring them customers.


So you purchase tickets based on what airline has the best/most food onboard? I find that odd.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Please read more carefully what I wrote. I said onboard meals are an important factor when it comes to building a corporate brand among the travelling public. It might not be a decisive factor but it does play a role in building a positive image.

Think about it like this. You are flying from TBS to JFK and you have Ukraine International for €550 and Turkish Airlines for €570, schedules are about the same and so is the price. Which one will you go for? I suppose you don't travel much between Europe and North American but most airlines offer more or less similar prices and schedules. So other factors come in play.
 
Ronaldo747
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:31 pm

I think this will not last long, just like BA LH will it take back in a silence move. A lot of companies, especially medium-sized ones only pay for Y+ or even less. Those staff will avoid LH very quickly, and LH cannot afford this.


chepos wrote:
Some of the responses on this thread are ridiculous. Nobody purchases an airline ticket based on quality/quantity of meals served onboard particularly in Y.


In most cases not in direct sense, however in Germany as a German. no matter if F,C,Y+ or Y, if you board a Lufthansa jet you always expect a full service with decent meals, not low cost service. A matter of course.
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3113
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 pm

chepos wrote:
Some of the responses on this thread are ridiculous. Nobody purchases an airline ticket based on quality/quantity of meals served onboard particularly in Y.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By that logic, why offer any meals at all then?

Changes like this might not move the needle much on their own, but combined with the other degradations mentioned here, it certainly adds up.
 
402679
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 pm

I wonder how that 5 Star Airline by Skytrax is doing lol
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:24 pm

chepos wrote:
Some of the responses on this thread are ridiculous. Nobody purchases an airline ticket based on quality/quantity of meals served onboard particularly in Y.

How do you know? I certainly do. When flying intra Europe I usually select KLM, because they offer free catering while other airlines don't. Why should I use Finnair to Helsinki, SAS to Copenhagen or Iberia to Madrid when I can also travel on KLM with much better service? To save a few euro's? On flights with KLM this year to Catania, Helsinki and Ibiza they even served complimentary hot meals in economy. To me that makes all the difference and keeps me coming back to KLM.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos