Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zubin

Re: Lufthansa Catering Reductions in economy and premium economy

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 am

Many here have claimed that LH will get away with it because of their incredible reach in the European market. I recently flew to DUS from BOM and while my first preference was EK, they were sold out for the dates that I traveled. I had to settle for LH due to a better arrival time both at DUS and BOM versus TK. The on-board product however, leaves much to be desired. I was barely able to sleep during the overnight from BOM-FRA and a cabin crew strike caused my FRA-DUS connection to be cancelled. I was handed a voucher for rail service instead. FRA was also quite a mess with long queues for immigration.

I’ve flown TPAC with CX (Y) and SQ (PEY) this year and EK to YYZ in Y and all three were much better in every respect. The SQ/CX PEY have curtains that divide PEY and Y and the meals on PEY in SQ were among the very best I’ve had in the sky. I’ll prefer to stay away from LH as much as I can in the future.

eielef

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:03 am

Isn't it a crime, or an offense, to starve people on board an aircraft? Deprive them of drinking water, if they don't pay?

Recently, my sister flew Level, between EZE and BCN. Its a 13 hours flight. If you don't pay, you don't get anything. That means: no water for 13 hours. Isn't that a crime? It should be considered so. At least, is seriously bad for your kidneys and all of your health.
Level sells a club sandwich for 8Eur, a warm "meal" for 9 Eur, a kosher meal for 14 Eur (can't it be discrimation, charging orthodox jews more?), a snack (small Pringles chips) 3,5Eur, coffee or tea 3,5Eur, a can of coke 3Eur, a bottle of water (0,3l) 2,5Eur. Your body needs at least 2-3 litters of water, that means: you need at least 1,5l during the flight, that means: buy 5 bottles (12,5Eur) just not to die.

I think the government should step and stop this absurd tendency. Soon, before people dies, or faints.
Why the heck does Lufthansa serve only a vegetarian snack? In Germany, only 10% are vegetarian (less in other European countries), meaning 90% want meat. How can the test people of this 80 flights be so wrong and convince the airline management of something so absurd...

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:15 am

eielef wrote:
Isn't it a crime, or an offense, to starve people on board an aircraft? Deprive them of drinking water, if they don't pay?

Recently, my sister flew Level, between EZE and BCN. Its a 13 hours flight. If you don't pay, you don't get anything. That means: no water for 13 hours. Isn't that a crime? It should be considered so. At least, is seriously bad for your kidneys and all of your health.
Level sells a club sandwich for 8Eur, a warm "meal" for 9 Eur, a kosher meal for 14 Eur (can't it be discrimation, charging orthodox jews more?), a snack (small Pringles chips) 3,5Eur, coffee or tea 3,5Eur, a can of coke 3Eur, a bottle of water (0,3l) 2,5Eur. Your body needs at least 2-3 litters of water, that means: you need at least 1,5l during the flight, that means: buy 5 bottles (12,5Eur) just not to die.

I think the government should step and stop this absurd tendency. Soon, before people dies, or faints.
Why the heck does Lufthansa serve only a vegetarian snack? In Germany, only 10% are vegetarian (less in other European countries), meaning 90% want meat. How can the test people of this 80 flights be so wrong and convince the airline management of something so absurd...

Wasn't there a case some years ago when Norwegian only allowed payment by credit card so this person couldn't buy water and then they were forced to change their policy? I think I remember something like that happening.

Faro

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 am

Frankly, how much savings per flight do these mean catering cut-backs provide? Off-set that against people's perception of your acquired cheapness and you're left with what?

Faro
The chalice not my son

eielef

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 am

Lot's of people doesn't have a credit card, or there are some technical difficulties and your card doesn't work. I'd do as Air France that the standard meal is given for free (and is very good, but portions are rather too small) but charge you for a better meal. And, we have a saying that: you can deny a glass of water even to your enemies. (No se le niega un vaso de agua a nadie, siquiera a tu enemigo).
If they say is to reduce emissions, that will be one more reason to hate Greta and believe is all FAKE.
You don't reduce emissions cutting on the catering. You do changing your aircraft engines to electric ones... But that's too of the future. Maybe in 20 years or so. Today, that's all we have.
Also, do you know how many resources have been used to produce the plastic foil that is used on each product of the catering? Why the heck do they put bread inside plastic foil, or the fork and knife (mostly made out of plastic) also in a plastic bag, together with the napkin?

seahawk

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 am

LH says that in testing customers preferred the new cold meal over the old hot. Which imho is quite possible considering that the second warm meal was always a bit underwhelming and that the newer sandwiches and wraps are quite good. And it also mirrors the trend noticed in the lounges, where sandwiches with salad and other healthy ingredients are more popular than the old scrambled eggs and so on.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:48 am

seahawk wrote:
LH says that in testing customers preferred the new cold meal over the old hot. Which imho is quite possible considering that the second warm meal was always a bit underwhelming and that the newer sandwiches and wraps are quite good. And it also mirrors the trend noticed in the lounges, where sandwiches with salad and other healthy ingredients are more popular than the old scrambled eggs and so on.

Of course Lufthansa will say that they are doing this because customers want it. What are they supposed to say? Sorry, we expanded two hubs that are next to each other, bought troubled carriers and invested in an LCC without really knowing what to do with it ... so please, could you help us out by paying more to get less in return?

eielef

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:08 am

seahawk wrote:

Is pretty easy to change it. Improve the second warm meal and that's it.
Imagine the following: you want your children to eat apples instead of cookies. You can explain all the advantages, but maybe they still prefer cookies. If you tell them: but cookies doesn't taste any good (and you add salt and chili to them). After trying the "new" cookies they wont like them, and they'll prefer apples.
LH could have ruined the 2nd warm meal in order that this test persons choose the sandwich, because is not as bad as the warm meal.
But, please, let me know, how big is a sandwich? If is less than 200g, is laughable. Is a joke.

blandy62

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:16 am

Blerg wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Of course Lufthansa will say that they are doing this because customers want it. What are they supposed to say? Sorry, we expanded two hubs that are next to each other, bought troubled carriers and invested in an LCC without really knowing what to do with it ... so please, could you help us out by paying more to get less in return?

That’s how they (all airlines) always justify the cut. It is good for the customers. Everybody complain for a while and then accept it. Others then follow because how it was well implemented by the first one

chonetsao

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:14 am

eielef wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Is pretty easy to change it. Improve the second warm meal and that's it.
Imagine the following: you want your children to eat apples instead of cookies. You can explain all the advantages, but maybe they still prefer cookies. If you tell them: but cookies doesn't taste any good (and you add salt and chili to them). After trying the "new" cookies they wont like them, and they'll prefer apples.
LH could have ruined the 2nd warm meal in order that this test persons choose the sandwich, because is not as bad as the warm meal.
But, please, let me know, how big is a sandwich? If is less than 200g, is laughable. Is a joke.

That is what BA did to its short haul catering. One year before they went to BOB, they started to serve a salami or cheese sandwich onboard. The problem is the sandwich tastes so bad, the bread was awful and ingredient was full of chemicals. The sandwiches package has a full description of the food, there were over 20 kind of artificial ingredient that it completed ruined the appetite. So after flying for a while, many people just simply ignore the offering and think it is better to not have it. Alas! BA then said due to passenger feedback it will partner with M&S to offer more superior food but you have to pay...

Sokes

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm

I had a flight from Germany to Gulf at around 22:00. I still had to proceed to India. After climb food service. That's just to make sure one can't get sleep.
I love eating in the plane. But does it any good? Digestion is hard work. The body has enough strain with the thin, dry air. Why increase the body's workload with digestion?
I don't think that Lufthansa's decision is based on cost alone. Frequent flyers may find that Lufthansa flights exhaust them less. After all we are an ageing society.
As WBM says: one can bring a snack along.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

S75752

Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Will these changes also apply to LH's various long-haul subsidiaries? I am curious if this will also effect the product on LX, OS, SN... (Unless those already have this standard, and LH is just stepping downward to meet it)

eielef

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:06 pm

Sokes wrote:

Define snack. For instance a salad. You need a fork and a knife (for some). You can't board those items to a plane. Say a sandwich then. , i'd love to take, together with my sandwich (which, off course, I'd have to eat cold) a glass of wine. Forbidden to drink your own alcohol. Then, change wine for a Coke. You can't bring any liquids to the airport, you remember? And where can you buy coke in an airport? I was in AMS few weeks ago and I was surprised there was a supermarket (Albert Heijn) that charged up to three times more than in the city. Not sure why, but there I paid 2,90Eur a bottle of Coke. (0,5l). And that was, off course, before security control.

So regulations doesn't make it easy to bring your own food. Some years ago, when BA was still Rebecca's Favourite Airline, I mistakenly bought a ticket with BA number but on an IB aircraft (LHR-MAD in a 346). They sold food on board. I don't pay for food on board. Never did, never will. But i'm always hungry. So I bought in Tesco some chocolate puddings. And I had no spoon. I asked for one. They didn't want to give me one. So I ate my chocolate puddings with my fingers.

Crews some times are very unhelpful, and I believe they (specially in FR) get a plus to their paycheck if they can sell you anything/everything.

Sokes

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:35 pm

eielef wrote:
Define snack.

"A snack is a small service of food and generally eaten between meals.[1] Snacks come in a variety of forms including packaged snack foods and other processed foods, as well as items made from fresh ingredients at home.
Snack foods are typically designed to be portable, quick, and satisfying. Processed snack foods, as one form of convenience food, are designed to be less perishable, more durable, and more portable than prepared foods. They often contain substantial amounts of sweeteners, preservatives, and appealing ingredients such as chocolate, peanuts, and specially-designed flavors (such as flavored potato chips)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snack

eielef wrote:
Sokes wrote:

Define snack. For instance a salad. You need a fork and a knife (for some). You can't board those items to a plane. Say a sandwich then. , i'd love to take, together with my sandwich (which, off course, I'd have to eat cold) a glass of wine.
I don't pay for food on board. Never did, never will. But i'm always hungry. So I bought in Tesco some chocolate puddings. And I had no spoon. I asked for one. They didn't want to give me one. So I ate my chocolate puddings with my fingers.

Well you already found the solution for the salad problem. God helps those who help themselves.
Alcohol dehydrates the body. Not a good idea in the extreme dry air of a plane.
If you are always hungry you will soon get health problems. Maybe Lufthansa gives you a chance to change your lifestyle.

I also have a habit of munching all day. It's a good thing if an airline says one can stay 10 hours without food.
Even smokers have to stay 10 hours without cigarettes.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

RvA

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:03 pm

I still find the comments here amusing. Talking about starvation because of a sandwich instead of some carb loaded crappy second meal. Love the humour guys keep it coming. Imagine the starvation on the long long train and long distance bus services. Does anyone even arrive at their destination alive?

EIBPI

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:10 pm

RvA wrote:
I still find the comments here amusing. Talking about starvation because of a sandwich instead of some carb loaded crappy second meal. Love the humour guys keep it coming. Imagine the starvation on the long long train and long distance bus services. Does anyone even arrive at their destination alive?

Try the LH second snack cold vegetarian sandwich and come back here. It is two small and thin slices of bread, with a some cheese paste and a slice of cheese. If you check the expiration date, you will likely find a date 18 months to two years into the future (preservatives + deep frozen).

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 pm

RvA wrote:

Well for starters you are allowed to bring your own food and drinks on a bus or train ride, you are not when it comes to a plane. Furthermore, both trains and buses make regular stops, plane do not until they reach their final destination.

RvA

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:

Well for starters you are allowed to bring your own food and drinks on a bus or train ride, you are not when it comes to a plane. Furthermore, both trains and buses make regular stops, plane do not until they reach their final destination.

You can’t bring food and drink on a plane?

RvA

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:32 pm

EIBPI wrote:
RvA wrote:

Try the LH second snack cold vegetarian sandwich and come back here. It is two small and thin slices of bread, with a some cheese paste and a slice of cheese. If you check the expiration date, you will likely find a date 18 months to two years into the future (preservatives + deep frozen).

A sandwich that’s made up of stuff between slices of bread. Interesting concept I should give that a try.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm

RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:

Many airports have security at the gate so no, in many instances you can't.

WildcatYXU

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:22 pm

RvA wrote:

What I find amusing are people here cheering any service reduction done by airlines.

RvA wrote:

Food: Generally yes, however your own food has adhere to the security rules. Food purchased airside yes.

Drink: From outside of the airport no (albeit I once witnessed an exception to this rule). Purchased past security: Water, soft drinks yes. Alcoholic drinks purchased past security could be brought aboard, however cannot be consumed. So I can't bring a bottle of my favourite ale aboard and drink it instead of the mass produced horse piss served by the airline even if I could purchase it airside.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

OSL777FLYER

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:26 pm

I read about this in the Spiegel German news magazine about 3 months ago.

The situation is this: Lufthansa want to cut even more costs, so they are cutting positions at LSG catering in FRA and MUC. These are among the lowest paid employees in the LH group already, but that was not enough for them.

What happens now, is that LH has bought and will construct more catering facilities just over the border in the Czech Republic. The food (hence the sandwiches that will keep for a long time) will then be trucked to MUC or FRA and then loaded onto the Aircraft.

A while ago LH stated on their website that they had "trouble with the catering for the European flights" this was the reason, employees were on strike because of these new developments.

For a company that for several years did not have any employee disruptions, they are sure getting a lot these days.

How in the world will they keep their 5-star rating after this? Probably not!

This is currently only being done to economy and premium economy (or if you can call that after this then). In Business and First it will currently not change, simply because LH knows that this is something you cannot do to passengers who pay the big bucks.

However for the Y-class passengers who only look at price............But as someone already stated, will people really change an airline due to the catering. For me personally in Economy no, but in Premium Economy YES.

What makes them stop at second meal. I would not be surprised if we see "buy on board" products at the so-called Legacy carriers in the near future.

SASViking

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Many airports have security at the gate so no, in many instances you can't.

Some airlines, mainly LCCs and charters, don't allow passengers to bring their own food. Most major airlines allow it. If you need to bring it through security it simply just need to comply with the rules, for example liquids in a sealed bag etc.
Most airports in the world do NOT have security at the gate, a security checkpoint between the check-in area and food/shopping/gate area is the norm.
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

redcap1962

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:40 am

GalebG4 wrote:
In conclusion Lufthansa is more efficient, sustainable and offers cheaper prices with new product range. They are world leading airline group with most modern, efficient and sustainable fleet. Lufthansa group priority is sustainability, and vegetarian food is just one of their important steps towards carbon neutral footprint.

GalebG4 wrote:
Government is responsible for important steps of lowering carbon footprint. That also means doing steps that people are unfortunately not fan of but represent important step towards carbon neutral environment. You should all listen to UN Greta Thunberg speech, and see that small steps towards carbon neutrality is most important step of human kind. Lufthansa has done great steps and is leader in carbon free footprint.

Here you can see how serious Lufty is regarding sustainability and the need to reduce the carbon neutral footprint! :hissyfit: :banghead:

OSL777FLYER wrote:
What happens now, is that LH has bought and will construct more catering facilities just over the border in the Czech Republic. The food (hence the sandwiches that will keep for a long time) will then be trucked to MUC or FRA and then loaded onto the Aircraft.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

chepos

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 am

RvA wrote:

If there is something anetters are good at is over dramatization and good ole hyperbole. Who knew economy cabin airplane breakfast was held in such high esteem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

mrwhistler

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:19 am

WildcatYXU wrote:
Drink: From outside of the airport no (albeit I once witnessed an exception to this rule). Purchased past security: Water, soft drinks yes. Alcoholic drinks purchased past security could be brought aboard, however cannot be consumed. So I can't bring a bottle of my favourite ale aboard and drink it instead of the mass produced horse piss served by the airline even if I could purchase it airside.

Not sure how widely it applies outside of the US, but the rule is that the flight attendants have to be the one serving you alcohol. You can bring your own and as long as the FA agrees to pour it for you, you're fine. I'm sure if you asked nicely most FAs would agree to pour your ale for you at mealtime.

RvA

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:12 am

I’m almost convinced but please let’s go a bit longer because I still have the feeling a sandwich isn’t worthy of an outrage. Can someone help?

vahancrazy

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am

RvA wrote:
I’m almost convinced but please let’s go a bit longer because I still have the feeling a sandwich isn’t worthy of an outrage. Can someone help?

OK, let s see if we have similar ideas!

LH has high flight tickets because it has treated its flyers properly until now.

When I fly intra EU I often need to use them because they provide the best schedule or they are the only airlines to my final destination with 1 transfer. On a 2.5h and a 1h flights their miserable Y meal is acceptable because the other factors (destination, transfer time) are the key factors in my purchase decision. (total travel time 5-6hours)

On an intercontinental flight. After my flight to their hub, I need to spend several hours onboard plus sometime have a second transfer too.
When I land after the transfer and the long houl flight I want to be relaxed (total travel time 12hours). Thus, the flight experience is important. If I need to disembark and immediately look for food or drink, I will still spend money and time due to the poor onboard product.... In such case, yes, I pay more attention to what the airline offers because I sum all costs to my total trip value, not just basic flight ticket without considering how it affects my pre/post-flight.

seahawk

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am

Wait how it develops. The test sandwiches and wraps were imho fine. We will have to see if the final product is worse.

hippogryphe

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 am

chepos wrote:
RvA wrote:

If there is something anetters are good at is over dramatization and good ole hyperbole. Who knew economy cabin airplane breakfast was held in such high esteem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're also pretty good replying condescendingly to anyone who dares take issue with airline business decisions or Results of the Free Market, as the twenty or so identical variations on your comment upthread or in any other similar thread on this forum demonstrate well.

RvA

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:35 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
RvA wrote:

LH has high flight tickets because it has treated its flyers properly until now.

When I fly intra EU I often need to use them because they provide the best schedule or they are the only airlines to my final destination with 1 transfer. On a 2.5h and a 1h flights their miserable Y meal is acceptable because the other factors (destination, transfer time) are the key factors in my purchase decision. (total travel time 5-6hours)

On an intercontinental flight. After my flight to their hub, I need to spend several hours onboard plus sometime have a second transfer too.
When I land after the transfer and the long houl flight I want to be relaxed (total travel time 12hours). Thus, the flight experience is important. If I need to disembark and immediately look for food or drink, I will still spend money and time due to the poor onboard product.... In such case, yes, I pay more attention to what the airline offers because I sum all costs to my total trip value, not just basic flight ticket without considering how it affects my pre/post-flight.

Personally I always have some fruit with me, or a protein bar, whatever. A flight lasting 12 hours where I have 1 hot meal and a cold sandwich actually reflects more accurately what I would otherwise consume at home/work. I don’t have 2 hot meals in 12 hours so I don’t expect, need or care for having it when I fly either. If anything I just make sure I hydrate well and I will eat something more healthy on arrival or before departure.
For me what’s more important is if there are charging capabilities on the flight (I rarely watch the IFE) than what the food offered is. Even in business class I skip courses almost every time.

GalebG4

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
GalebG4 wrote:
In conclusion Lufthansa is more efficient, sustainable and offers cheaper prices with new product range. They are world leading airline group with most modern, efficient and sustainable fleet. Lufthansa group priority is sustainability, and vegetarian food is just one of their important steps towards carbon neutral footprint.

GalebG4 wrote:
Government is responsible for important steps of lowering carbon footprint. That also means doing steps that people are unfortunately not fan of but represent important step towards carbon neutral environment. You should all listen to UN Greta Thunberg speech, and see that small steps towards carbon neutrality is most important step of human kind. Lufthansa has done great steps and is leader in carbon free footprint.

Here you can see how serious Lufty is regarding sustainability and the need to reduce the carbon neutral footprint! :hissyfit: :banghead:

OSL777FLYER wrote:

Making fun of sustainability means being against planet earth, and showing hatred towards Lufthansa sustainability plan is not actually against Lufthansa but against planet earth. We need to respect companies that are changing the world, long live Greta Thumberg!!! Lufthansa is showing us right path towards carbon neutral future.

blrsea

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:55 pm

RvA wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:
RvA wrote:

Personally I always have some fruit with me, or a protein bar, whatever. A flight lasting 12 hours where I have 1 hot meal and a cold sandwich actually reflects more accurately what I would otherwise consume at home/work. I don’t have 2 hot meals in 12 hours so I don’t expect, need or care for having it when I fly either. If anything I just make sure I hydrate well and I will eat something more healthy on arrival or before departure.
For me what’s more important is if there are charging capabilities on the flight (I rarely watch the IFE) than what the food offered is. Even in business class I skip courses almost every time.

You still didn't answer vahancrazy's question. You are still talking about just a 12 hour flight, which is fine. Though for majority, in a 12 hour interval, they will have two hot meals (unless in night). If I take hypothetical 8am-8pm, I am sure many would have 2 hot meals between breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Your scenario makes sense for O&D passengers, like FRA-JFK/FRA-SEA etc, but not for connecting passengers. If someone is flying BLR-FRA-SEA (which I have flown with LH few times), its disappointing to not have 2nd hot meal before landing. Usually, the last meal is served 1.5 hours/2hours before landing. After landing, one has to run to the connecting gates and catch the next flight after clearing security. When connecting to the next flight, you need to be at gate at least 30-40 mins earlier. The next meal is then served 1-1.5 hours after take off. If I experience such service once and end up being hungry for 5-6 hours, then I will look for options the next time. If EK or BA offers a hot filling meal before landing which will help me stay hunger-free till the next flight's service, of course I will switch.

LH's changes might work for O&D customers, but I doubt connecting passengers will be happy with those changes. Especially for those having 2 hours or less for connections (for US where you need additional security clearance) and the available choices at FRA airport.

vahancrazy

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:23 pm

RvA wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:
RvA wrote:

Thank you!

Although, yes, I consume two hot meals withing 12 hours, also your idea is interesting.
Regarding hidratation: when possible in Europe I travel with a water tank / bottle empty and refill... At airports you can use sink in the toilette area as water is drinkable almost everywhere. Outside EU depends by country.
I agree about IFE. I would be equally happy with or without IFE.

RvA

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 pm

blrsea wrote:
RvA wrote:
vahancrazy wrote:

You still didn't answer vahancrazy's question. You are still talking about just a 12 hour flight, which is fine. Though for majority, in a 12 hour interval, they will have two hot meals (unless in night). If I take hypothetical 8am-8pm, I am sure many would have 2 hot meals between breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Your scenario makes sense for O&D passengers, like FRA-JFK/FRA-SEA etc, but not for connecting passengers. If someone is flying BLR-FRA-SEA (which I have flown with LH few times), its disappointing to not have 2nd hot meal before landing. Usually, the last meal is served 1.5 hours/2hours before landing. After landing, one has to run to the connecting gates and catch the next flight after clearing security. When connecting to the next flight, you need to be at gate at least 30-40 mins earlier. The next meal is then served 1-1.5 hours after take off. If I experience such service once and end up being hungry for 5-6 hours, then I will look for options the next time. If EK or BA offers a hot filling meal before landing which will help me stay hunger-free till the next flight's service, of course I will switch.

LH's changes might work for O&D customers, but I doubt connecting passengers will be happy with those changes. Especially for those having 2 hours or less for connections (for US where you need additional security clearance) and the available choices at FRA airport.

Maybe those are some lifestyle differences fuelling the discontent then. I don’t know anyone who is more than 1 hot meal per day on normal work days so 12 hours or 20 hours doesn’t actually matter.
For people connecting onwards with back to back longhaul, are they not getting 2 hot meals anyway then? You feel they should have 3 or more?

Blerg
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm

RvA wrote:
blrsea wrote:
RvA wrote:

Maybe those are some lifestyle differences fuelling the discontent then. I don’t know anyone who is more than 1 hot meal per day on normal work days so 12 hours or 20 hours doesn’t actually matter.
For people connecting onwards with back to back longhaul, are they not getting 2 hot meals anyway then? You feel they should have 3 or more?

Ok, we get it. We should all be like you, bring our own fruits, vegetables and inflight entertaining and expect the bare minimum from airlines so that they can maximize their profits. Just because you eat one hot meal per day doesn't mean everyone does.

RvA

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
blrsea wrote:

Ok, we get it. We should all be like you, bring our own fruits, vegetables and inflight entertaining and expect the bare minimum from airlines so that they can maximize their profits. Just because you eat one hot meal per day doesn't mean everyone does.

Not saying any of these things. Same way I’m sure you’re not suggesting everyone should eat 2 hot meals in 12ish hours either.
Simply stating the second meal going to a cold sandwich is hardly the scandal some are making it sound to be.
Either way for those folks that find this a deal breaker the simple way around this is to just not fly LH then if it’s so bothersome. Having choices is great. For those who have to take LH it is a shame but such is life. If the majority of their customers have an issue with this and start flying other airlines LH will come around.

Delta777Jet

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 am

The problem is the size of the first meal is filling you for max 5 hours. Its not a complete Home Made Hot Meal. It shameful for a full fare carrier to go bare minimum. At least they should offer an additional Buy on Bord Snacks. They could even make more money and are even a step closer to Ryanair. :)
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

SteelChair

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:07 pm

These service cuts are telling. LH must be suffering, yet another sign that long haul international yields are falling.

seahawk

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 pm

LH never offered a second hot filling meal.

Woodz

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello,
@seahawk: not true - I am traveling Germany - San Francisco / San Jose at least once a year for over ten years and they served two "full meals" during that flight. The second one was usually a lighter or breakfast type - but it still was a complete "set". But this is some years ago.

I am Frequent Traveller (sometimes Senator) with Lufthansa for over 15 years - but I can clearly see a demise. This cut on the food might be the last nail to the coffin for me to be "loyal" - together with the upcoming cuts on the miles and more program.
Quality and Service has decreased significantly - and now is not different to other carriers / alliances. So why I should now chose Lufthansa/Eurowings anymore?
Some examples:
- with Eurowings taking over the local routes prices have increased on average - especially if you are traveling for business on shorter notice. Especially the fee for extra baggage - not honoring your flight status - is awful.
- Eurowings is one of the most unpuctual airlines I ever experienced and their customer service is a disgrace (e.g. working on requests for month - or not paying the EU compensation for more than 9 month!) - not to mention there Hotline which has waiting times for hours, if not days
- with Eurowings counters often open only between 2 hours and 1.5 hours before the flight - so that Lounge Access is not possible if I am earlier at the Airport. So why not checkin in with Lufthansa? Flying with other alliance - no issue there.
- Cutting the snacks on Lufthansa to a "food bar" (of bad quality - with tons of sugar, often) and now totally is "cheap" (to pay for the Managers Bonus?) - other airlines still have free drinks....
- the seating on A32xneo is awful - the backrest is too "vertical" - the back foam in the wrong place and even me as a small person is hitting the front seat with my knees and having the table tray almost in the stomach
- etc. - I could continue with additional

So overall, I do not understand Lufthansa's strategy - as they are now not even undistinguishable from other carriers/alliance - they got even worse.

Cheers
Michael

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos