Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dbo861
Topic Author

Allegiant to open DSM base

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:00 pm

https://www.kcci.com/article/allegiant- ... s/29738521

I was shocked to hear this announcement. They will have 2 A320s and 66 aircrew based at DSM. It will be interesting to see what routes they add from DSM.

Scarebus34

Re: Allegiant to open DSM base

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 pm

They already run a decent amount of routes - opening the base is more about cost savings than it is announcing additional routes.

DesMoineser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm

You beat me to it, dbo.

Scarebus34, the article specifically mentions they will be adding routes as a result.

The new base also means Allegiant will add to the destinations it serves from Des Moines, though the company declined to say what those will be. Grey said she expects those announcements to come soon.

dbo861
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
They already run a decent amount of routes - opening the base is more about cost savings than it is announcing additional routes.

How much cost savings would opening a new base be for them? Their flights are all out and backs, so this wouldn't save them hotel costs. They'll have to relocate maintenance personnel and build a $50 million hangar. This seems like a lot of effort and a big investment to only support 8 (2 of which are seasonal) nonstop routes, almost all of which only operate 2-3x weekly.

DesMoineser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Given G4’s recent focus on BNA and its recent addition of CID-BNA, I would imagine that’s a likely pick-up.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:55 pm

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

How much cost savings would opening a new base be for them? Their flights are all out and backs, so this wouldn't save them hotel costs. They'll have to relocate maintenance personnel and build a $50 million hangar. This seems like a lot of effort and a big investment to only support 8 (2 of which are seasonal) nonstop routes, almost all of which only operate 2-3x weekly.

Why would they have to build a hangar? Nothing in that article mentioned a hangar.
From my cold, dead hands

DesMoineser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 pm

The Des Moines Register article mentioned they'd be performing maintenance on those A320s in DSM which would, presumably, require a hangar.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/development/2019/11/08/allegiant-air-establish-new-base-des-moines/4167018002/

Two of the airline's 70-plus aircraft, both Airbus A320s, will be based in Des Moines. Pilots will fly out of the airport early in the morning and will return when their routes are finished. Mechanics will service the planes once they've landed.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 pm

DesMoineser wrote:
The Des Moines Register article mentioned they'd be performing maintenance on those A320s in DSM which would, presumably, require a hangar.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/development/2019/11/08/allegiant-air-establish-new-base-des-moines/4167018002/

Two of the airline's 70-plus aircraft, both Airbus A320s, will be based in Des Moines. Pilots will fly out of the airport early in the morning and will return when their routes are finished. Mechanics will service the planes once they've landed.

Regular line MX in no way requires a hangar to get things done. It can easily be done on the ramp
From my cold, dead hands

DesMoineser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Then what are they paying $50 million for?

Legitimate question, not sarcasm.
Last edited by DesMoineser on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbo861
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
DesMoineser wrote:

Regular line MX in no way requires a hangar to get things done. It can easily be done on the ramp

Fair enough. I was just assuming that's what the $50million investment was for. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Scarebus34

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 pm

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

You answered your own question. There is no base now so they are spending on hotel/transportation. They obviously see it as cost advantageous to open a base. Probably cheaper to park planes and rent space at DSM than elsewhere.

One must also ask themselves how much legitimate growth can they have at DSM... probably not much.
Last edited by Scarebus34 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drdisque

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:18 pm

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

It provides a point where they can launch flights to outstations without a crew base such as MSY or MYR, they can often then tag another destination without a crew base on in a W routing as one trip:

For example: DSM-MSY-SGF-MSY-DSM

WeatherPilot

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:38 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
DesMoineser wrote:

Last thing I knew it still got cold and snowy in Iowa.

Dalmd88

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
DesMoineser wrote:

Last thing I knew it still got cold and snowy in Iowa.

Line doesn't need a hangar. Even if it's cold and snowy. DL has had line stations at a lot of northern locations without hangars. Off the top of my head ORD, JFK, MCI, DEN, PHL, BDL. When I worked in BOS we had 15 overnights and our hangar at the time fit two. We worked a lot on the ramp year round.

Why DSM? I bet the airport rents the space for offices and storehouse cheap. Plus it is a good flow through location being that it already supports flights to many bases. It works well for crewing and maintenance.

DesMoineser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Scarebus34, it's interesting you say that.

2013 - 2,201,388 +5.8%
2014 - 2,319,431 +5.4%
2015 - 2,365,643 +2.0%
2016 - 2,483,924 +5.0%
2017 - 2,578,308 +3.8%
2018 - 2,773,207 +7.6%

Des Moines is currently up 6.9% YTD, on pace for 2,964,558 total pax. DSM has averaged 127,000 or additional passengers each year since 2013. Allegiant currently serves slightly less than 250,000 passengers a year from DSM. DSM is currently growing at 5% per year, twice the 2.5% the rate at which air travel nationally is forecast to grow through 2038.

If that's "not much growth potential," then I'd be interested to see what meets your standard.

nws2002

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

You answered your own question. There is no base now so they are spending on hotel/transportation. They obviously see it as cost advantageous to open a base. Probably cheaper to park planes and rent space at DSM than elsewhere.

One must also ask themselves how much legitimate growth can they have at DSM... probably not much.

I agree with you on it being most cost-effective to park planes and rent space at DSM. I bet the airport gave them a decent deal. You can only launch so many flights each morning for the larger bases before you run out of gates and ticket counter space to process passengers. If they want to keep growing they have to expand bases or overnight crews/aircraft at outstations.

Currently, G4 does not spend money on hotel/transportation unless an aircraft has a mechanical issue and the crew needs to overnight. The majority (nearly all) of their flights are planned as out and backs from a base or at most an inside turn, with the aircraft and crew still returning to the base at the end of each day. They trialed a few longer flights which required them to overnight pilots at other bases, but I don't know if that has continued.

MIflyer12

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:08 pm

DesMoineser wrote:
Scarebus34, it's interesting you say that.

2013 - 2,201,388 +5.8%
2014 - 2,319,431 +5.4%
2015 - 2,365,643 +2.0%
2016 - 2,483,924 +5.0%
2017 - 2,578,308 +3.8%
2018 - 2,773,207 +7.6%

Des Moines is currently up 6.9% YTD, on pace for 2,964,558 total pax. DSM has averaged 127,000 or additional passengers each year since 2013. Allegiant currently serves slightly less than 250,000 passengers a year from DSM. DSM is currently growing at 5% per year, twice the 2.5% the rate at which air travel nationally is forecast to grow through 2038.

If that's "not much growth potential," then I'd be interested to see what meets your standard.

There's total airport passenger growth, and there's what Allegiant could do with its fleet in terms of prospective destinations and frequencies. Those aren't anywhere near the same thing.

DesMoineser

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 pm

The local economy is strong and people here have money to spend on leisure travel. G4 specializes in leisure travel for small markets. They probably have a good handle on their reasons for doing this and it certainly goes beyond cheap office space.

The airline themselves said this will lead directly to additional route announcements. Clearly they plan to grow that 250,000 number. Maybe with the crew base and 3-4 additional routes, or the conversion of some seasonal routes to year-round routes, they can add 40-50% to their total. GRR received additional routes with their crew base announcement and we've been told to standby for more announcements. The plan is to grow and they have a growing market to do it in.

dbo861
Topic Author

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

But they have no hotel/transportation costs. Allegiant only schedules crews for day trips, no layovers..therefore no hotels. I agree with you, they obviously see it as cost advantageous to open a base, but I still don't believe they'd spend $50 million and dedicate 2 aircraft to support only 8 non-daily flights.

drdisque wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

It provides a point where they can launch flights to outstations without a crew base such as MSY or MYR, they can often then tag another destination without a crew base on in a W routing as one trip:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't how Allegiant schedules their aircraft. They do out and backs from the aircraft bases, so the aircraft and crew return home each night.

astaz

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 pm

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

But they have no hotel/transportation costs. Allegiant only schedules crews for day trips, no layovers..therefore no hotels. I agree with you, they obviously see it as cost advantageous to open a base, but I still don't believe they'd spend $50 million and dedicate 2 aircraft to support only 8 non-daily flights.

drdisque wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this isn't how Allegiant schedules their aircraft. They do out and backs from the aircraft bases, so the aircraft and crew return home each night.

The advantage more so comes from space to park planes is my bet... DSM is served from a lot of the other G4 bases, (IWA, PIE, PGD, SFB, VPS, LAX, LAS) most of which are pretty tight on space, and some have expensive overnight fees I would guess. By parking the planes in DSM you can operate the same flights (backwards) and add or free up space in the other bases.

DesMoineser

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:01 am

DSM really does't have that much space left for RONs. The 2005 Master Plan, which has since been taken down, noted we were basically out of room for them then. The new terminal master plan provides additional ramp space in the first phase for RON aircraft because of that deficiency.

guy739

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:50 am

A lot of the smaller bases(TYS, AVL, BNA, etc) are to help provide relief for the larger bases. PIE/SFB for example are basically at max capacity, so the smaller bases allow for planes to come into the bigger bases in between the morning and afternoon banks.

drdisque

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:39 am

astaz wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

drdisque wrote:

The advantage more so comes from space to park planes is my bet... DSM is served from a lot of the other G4 bases, (IWA, PIE, PGD, SFB, VPS, LAX, LAS) most of which are pretty tight on space, and some have expensive overnight fees I would guess. By parking the planes in DSM you can operate the same flights (backwards) and add or free up space in the other bases.

This IS how Allegiant schedules aircraft if they want to add a flight between two stations that aren't a base, particularly any MYR flights from non-bases.

n7371f

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:46 am

Hate to be bearer of bad news but Allegiant won't be building any hanger in DSM.

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:48 am

dbo861 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
DesMoineser wrote:

Fair enough. I was just assuming that's what the $50million investment was for. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

At least recently, the $50MM investment figure has been a standard part of the announcement of a two-aircraft base. Look at the BNA and TYS announcements, for instance. I don’t know how they come up with the number but expect that there is some . . . interesting . . . accounting involved.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:14 am

Cubsrule wrote:
dbo861 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

At least recently, the $50MM investment figure has been a standard part of the announcement of a two-aircraft base. Look at the BNA and TYS announcements, for instance. I don’t know how they come up with the number but expect that there is some . . . interesting . . . accounting involved.

Ryanair also always use a standard investment formula when they put out a Press Release for a new base. No idea how it is worked out, but could well include aircraft value also.

cbphoto

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 am

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

drdisque wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

That’s absolutely how Allegiant schedules their flights. They do lots of inside turns and a pairing like that would not require a crew to overnight.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

tjwgrr

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 am

n7371f wrote:
Hate to be bearer of bad news but Allegiant won't be building any hanger in DSM.

dbo861 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

We are currently a 4 a/c base for G4 here in GRR with no G4 hangar.....and more snow than DSM. MX is done on the ramp.

G4 has some additional GSE here including a scissor lift type catering truck.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

ITSTours

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm

For me DSM means Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Never knew that airport code existed!

DesMoineser

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:10 pm

It has to do double duty around here whenever someone goes nuts on a commercial flight, especially with a companion animal.

Exeiowa

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:18 pm

There is probably a little extra room available since the Air National Guard unit switched to flying drones.

DesMoineser

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm

The IANG definitely does not allow civilian aircraft to use their ramp. Their lease of that area and refusal to either pay the full amount or relinquish control is, as far as I know, still a very contentious issue.

peterinlisbon

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:22 pm

This is good news for the people of Des Moines. I imagine it will mean more direct services instead of having to connect via hubs.

spinotter

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm

DesMoineser wrote:
The IANG definitely does not allow civilian aircraft to use their ramp. Their lease of that area and refusal to either pay the full amount or relinquish control is, as far as I know, still a very contentious issue.

How is it possible that the IANG refuse to pay the full amount unless they have a contract which has those terms written into it?

FATFlyer

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Cubsrule wrote:

One of the TV news reports about the DSM base had this quote:
“It means investment. It’s a $50 million investment by Allegiant into the community to staff the base, for training, for the beautiful airbus aircraft that will be stationed here. We are very excited to grow that operational footprint,” said Hilarie Grey, Allegiant Travel Company's managing director of corporate communications.
http://whotv.com/2019/11/08/allegiant-air-announces-des-moines-international-airport-to-become-20th-aircraft-base/

If an accurate statement by G4's rep, then a big part of the $50 million is how they are calculating the value of the 2 aircraft for the base.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

DesMoineser

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:12 am

The lease situation is a complex story with nationwide implications. The story linked below explains, but the TL;DR is the IANG only had to pay $1 per year while the F-16s were present. Since they aren’t anymore, airport management believes, per the contract language, that the lease should now be market rate. The ANG disagrees.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/business/2015/07/11/iowa-air-national-guard-airport-faa/30027313/

The IANG ramp is still off-limits to civilian aircraft.

strfyr51

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 am

Nothing wrong with DSM if the facilities are there, How does the airport handle snow removal? and will they have a Hangar for Maintenance? I worked a few winters at Omaha NB and the freight route we flew went from OMA-DSM to CMH and Returned CMH-CID-OMA. I never had a problem supporting my airplanes unless there was a Blizzard and the Runways were icy.

DesMoineser

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:02 pm

They’re great at snow removal. No maintenance hangers around that can support an A320, just those for the FBOs and Endeavor’s CRJ900 engine shop. Per previous posters, that’s not a problem.

phllax

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:34 pm

DesMoineser wrote:
DSM really does't have that much space left for RONs. The 2005 Master Plan, which has since been taken down, noted we were basically out of room for them then. The new terminal master plan provides additional ramp space in the first phase for RON aircraft because of that deficiency.

Aren’t there lines for the 4 A5 gates total, with one each between A2-A4 and A1-A3 and one next to the A5 gate on the end of the terminal that can be used for parking, or are they used each night by UA?

DesMoineser

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:04 pm

The A5 end is UA’s turf, but I don’t know if G4 is entirely unable to park there overnight. Obviously if G4 and DSM inked the deal, there’s room somewhere, but the ramp is running out of space.

JAAlbert

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:27 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:

I'd sure hate to conduct maintenance/repairs on the ramp anytime during a Des Moines winter! Or do anything else on that ramp for that matter ;)

Boiler905

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:53 pm

5 guesses for future routes by G4 from DSM: AUS/FLL/BWI/SAV/MSY, could see many other possibilities though
Boiler Up

dbo861
Topic Author

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 am

I haven't seen any announcements yet, but DSM-BNA is bookable on Allegiant's website, twice weekly beginning Feb 13.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos