Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

F27500

Re: Aegean new livery

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Have to be kidding .. ANOTHER all white bore .. when will this trend go away? Why are airlines so afraid to show their own individual identities today? Everything is so generic looking. Branding is a thing of the past, I guess.

Polot

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 pm

F27500 wrote:
Why are airlines so afraid to show their own individual identities today? Everything is so generic looking. Branding is a thing of the past, I guess.

Like when all liveries were cheatlines that looked exactly the same?

ScottB

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:22 pm

F27500 wrote:
Have to be kidding .. ANOTHER all white bore .. when will this trend go away? Why are airlines so afraid to show their own individual identities today? Everything is so generic looking. Branding is a thing of the past, I guess.

Well, the body is white and the tail appears to be predominantly blue. The Greek flag is blue and white, so the choice of colors pretty much screams "Greece."

F27500

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Polot wrote:
F27500 wrote:
Why are airlines so afraid to show their own individual identities today? Everything is so generic looking. Branding is a thing of the past, I guess.

Like when all liveries were cheatlines that looked exactly the same?

No they most certainly did not .. compare EA, NA, DL, TW , UA, OA, AZ, SA, KL (just a few examples) .. how did they look "exactly the same"? .. And there were many other liveries like the later US, UA ones that were not cheatline-centric .. prior to this era of the dull and uninspired all-white look.

They can all do ALOT better nowadays NOT to all look alike. Nothing is more boring than a sea of all-white Airbii, 737 and RJs.

NearMiss

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Gotta thank the not white engines.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

jeffh747

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Slightly off topic but why are more airlines going with the raccoon mask on the neos? It has to be an option since most neos don't have the mask, but it's interesting seeing more and more airlines add the mask to their Airbuses, including SAS which has the mask on their A320ceos now.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

SASViking

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:35 pm

jeffh747 wrote:
Slightly off topic but why are more airlines going with the raccoon mask on the neos? It has to be an option since most neos don't have the mask, but it's interesting seeing more and more airlines add the mask to their Airbuses, including SAS which has the mask on their A320ceos now.

In the case of SAS, it's a part of their new livery. Every single aircraft that will be painted in the new livery will have the mask. The main reason is that the A350 have the mask and SAS wants for livery to look identical on all aircraft
Types flown: A319, A320, A32N, A321, A332, A333, A343, AT43, AT75, AT76, B717, B732, B735, B736, B737, B738, B752, B753, CRJ9, DC10, DH4D, DHC3, E135, E145, E175, E190, E195, F100, MD11, MD81, MD82, MD87, RJ1H

SR380

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:53 am

jeffh747 wrote:

It's a trend. Just like cheatlines were in the past.

SR380

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 am

F27500 wrote:

The only fact is that white is lighter, cheaper, and it's easier for airlines to repaint once an airframe goes from one airlines to another. Ence the fact that Aer Lingus went euro white, so in case IAG went to swap aircraft from an airlines to another they don't have to adopt an hybrid livery like CityLink from Indonesian now flying a pink WOW A330neo, or Air Caraïbes flying the ex Air Azur all grey A330.

Blerg

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:32 am

F27500 wrote:

Actually, if you look at the new livery, in terms of the amount of paint, it's an improvement. Aegean was pretty anemic until now.

VC10er

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:28 pm

I would assume that one reason AEGEAN is using the “OLYMPIC” name and logo is for legal trademark protection. The same way GOL in Brazil has some aircraft with VARIG livery.
It gets to “Use it or lose it” laws! I’m not 100% sure how similar trademark laws differ between the EU and USA or any other country but I’m sure they are all close. If a company (or person) trademarks a name and it’s logo/design or buys the rights to the trademark, there is a certain amount of time you have to use it. You cannot just create or buy a brand name and sit on it so nobody else can use it. In the USA I think it is only 2 or 3 years. If you don’t use the name (and logo which is considered “trade dress”) for commercial purposes it will ultimately go back out to the pubic domain. You lose your rights to own it even if you bought or paid for its creation. Aegean might simply wish to keep ownership of “OLYMPIC AIRLINES” and its logo. To keep it they must use it for commercial purposes. In the USA, if business wanted to trademark a name today for possible use sometime in the future you cannot just put it in a file for 10 years and stop other companies from using it. For a product brand, in order to retain exclusive rights to it, they must create a package goods or service mark (airlines) business must done using that name.
If I’m not mistaken, GOL bought the VARIG name and identity for potential use one day. But they had to paint a few planes and place them in revenue service in order to keep it. If HERSHEY have a name they loved for a brand of chocolate they “might” want to use one day, in order to keep it they would have to create a chocolate bar or something, make a thousand of them with a label and ship it across state lines and have it placed at some retailers and sell it. Even if they lose money on it, it’s the only way to retain a name.
Now, when it comes to “OLYMPIC” what is really interesting is that the IOC owns the 5 rings and guards it with great zeal! (Warning: don’t ever use the 5 Olympic Rings for the new sport wear line you want to launch - the IOC will come down on you like a ton of bricks!
“OLYMIC AIRLINES” either had to obtain special permission from the IOC, or OLYMPIC was using the 5 Rings prior to the formation of the IOC and OLYMPIC was able to grandfather it.

As for the Aegean branding in that link to the design agency, first that is mostly a brand look book and manual. It was created so that there was a consistent “branded look” from the website to printed materials and signage. (Similar to what United is doing with the globe grid) It does look like the 2 seagulls and sun were ever so slightly cleaned up but NOTHING could be more generic! It could very easily be a logo for Caribbean Airways or MiamiAir or Los Angeles Regional Airlines or Maldives Island Air- anything! It is 100% devoid of uniqueness and they could never legally stop any other airline from using a very similar flying bird logo (LIKE TAM!!!)
It is BAD branding! Compare it to Cathay Pacific (yes another bird-like logo) but Cathay is unique in its execution, so much so that it is both distinctive and also says something about the airline’s origin and its stature as a global airline -as well as legally defendable. If another airline redesigned or started up and used a paint brush swooping bird wing, WHAMMO, Cathay’s lawyer’s would be ruthless!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

eamondzhang

Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:08 pm

F27500 wrote:

Because the truth is Aegean's livery is always predominantly eurowhite and heck they're already adding more colour onto the aircraft with the new livery!

Why don't you just google "Aegean Airlines livery" and look at the changes?

Michael

OA260

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:14 pm

VC10er wrote:
I would assume that one reason AEGEAN is using the “OLYMPIC” name and logo is for legal trademark protection. The same way GOL in Brazil has some aircraft with VARIG livery.
It gets to “Use it or lose it” laws! I’m not 100% sure how similar trademark laws differ between the EU and USA or any other country but I’m sure they are all close. If a company (or person) trademarks a name and it’s logo/design or buys the rights to the trademark, there is a certain amount of time you have to use it. You cannot just create or buy a brand name and sit on it so nobody else can use it. In the USA I think it is only 2 or 3 years. If you don’t use the name (and logo which is considered “trade dress”) for commercial purposes it will ultimately go back out to the pubic domain. You lose your rights to own it even if you bought or paid for its creation. Aegean might simply wish to keep ownership of “OLYMPIC AIRLINES” and its logo. To keep it they must use it for commercial purposes. In the USA, if business wanted to trademark a name today for possible use sometime in the future you cannot just put it in a file for 10 years and stop other companies from using it. For a product brand, in order to retain exclusive rights to it, they must create a package goods or service mark (airlines) business must done using that name.
If I’m not mistaken, GOL bought the VARIG name and identity for potential use one day. But they had to paint a few planes and place them in revenue service in order to keep it. If HERSHEY have a name they loved for a brand of chocolate they “might” want to use one day, in order to keep it they would have to create a chocolate bar or something, make a thousand of them with a label and ship it across state lines and have it placed at some retailers and sell it. Even if they lose money on it, it’s the only way to retain a name.
Now, when it comes to “OLYMPIC” what is really interesting is that the IOC owns the 5 rings and guards it with great zeal! (Warning: don’t ever use the 5 Olympic Rings for the new sport wear line you want to launch - the IOC will come down on you like a ton of bricks!
“OLYMIC AIRLINES” either had to obtain special permission from the IOC, or OLYMPIC was using the 5 Rings prior to the formation of the IOC and OLYMPIC was able to grandfather it.

As for the Aegean branding in that link to the design agency, first that is mostly a brand look book and manual. It was created so that there was a consistent “branded look” from the website to printed materials and signage. (Similar to what United is doing with the globe grid) It does look like the 2 seagulls and sun were ever so slightly cleaned up but NOTHING could be more generic! It could very easily be a logo for Caribbean Airways or MiamiAir or Los Angeles Regional Airlines or Maldives Island Air- anything! It is 100% devoid of uniqueness and they could never legally stop any other airline from using a very similar flying bird logo (LIKE TAM!!!)
It is BAD branding! Compare it to Cathay Pacific (yes another bird-like logo) but Cathay is unique in its execution, so much so that it is both distinctive and also says something about the airline’s origin and its stature as a global airline -as well as legally defendable. If another airline redesigned or started up and used a paint brush swooping bird wing, WHAMMO, Cathay’s lawyer’s would be ruthless!

The only reason why Aegean bought OA logo and name was to prevent someone else doing it and being a competitor and there was no nostalgia for the Olympic brand on their part thats for sure.

Re: logo

“ Onassis wanted to copy the five coloured rings of the Olympic emblem, but the International Olympic Committee claimed the rights to the emblem, so a new, six ring logo was introduced. The first five rings stand for the five continents, while the sixth stands for Greece.[28] Colours used were yellow, red, blue and white.“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Airlines

VC10er

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:25 pm

OA260 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

The only reason why Aegean bought OA logo and name was to prevent someone else doing it and being a competitor and there was no nostalgia for the Olympic brand on their part thats for sure.

Re: logo

“ Onassis wanted to copy the five coloured rings of the Olympic emblem, but the International Olympic Committee claimed the rights to the emblem, so a new, six ring logo was introduced. The first five rings stand for the five continents, while the sixth stands for Greece.[28] Colours used were yellow, red, blue and white.“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Airlines

Well (I know nothing really) about OLYMPIC (either version) all that I do know come from a Greek friend of mine who is super-ultra rich and would always fly them in paid First Class nearly every month from Montreal (assuming they flew to Montreal) - I only know that he did that out of national pride and wanting to do his part to help the troubled airline (I’m going back about 24 years)

I do know a lot about the IOC however as Landor had created many Olympic logos for a number of years, both for the pitch cities and the finals. There was once TONS of bad PR if Landor did the Olympics taking place in a certain country or city. When discoverEd in that local country/city that design agency was NOT from that country/city the uproar was huge. Eg: had the logo and mascots for the Rio Olympics been done by Landor in SF or London or NY it’s easy to understand why the local hosts would be upset!

However Landor and the IOC once had an extremely tight relationship, and the IOC was concerned had Landor not have had “any” role at all. I personally had worked on a couple including when NYC pitched for hosting the Olympics (I worked on the NYC pitch logo- which is and entirely different thing, it’s only use was to brand the pitch materials that were presented to the IOC) reading the rules defining exactly when and how ANY one or more ring could be used and in the IOC approved colors was so onerous that it seriously hampered a designer’s ability to design. Say I designed 5 ovals, NOT TOUCHING each other, but each oval was in the 5 IOC colors: NYC’s Olympic Pitch Committee would have had its hand slapped for that!

So: the fact that they added a 6th ring “for Greece” but the other 5 remained the same as the Olympic 5 rings would NOT have been enough (not even close!) to be acceptable to the IOC. There must have been another factor!

As for Aegean wanting to OWN that identity purely to prevent a one day competing airline makes total sense. However to retain ownership of it, Aegean would have to use it commercially somehow, and visible to the public- exactly why at Santos Dumont in Rio, you will buy a GOL ticket, but the 737 you board is in VARIG livery. If you have a connecting flight in Brazil after a United or Delta flight - the connection will say “operated by GOL/RG” (or NRG) for “New VARIG”. (Remember that debacle?)

ajs123uk

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:57 am

So does anyone know when it’s actually going to be fully revealed?

Blerg

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 am

ajs123uk wrote:
So does anyone know when it’s actually going to be fully revealed?

From what I saw online, their A320neo is supposed to start flying on scheduled flights from March 2020. My guess is that it should be delivered to the airline in January/February. I suppose they will have some ceremony to mark their arrival and the whole 'facelift.'

CHRISBA35X

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 am

Lots of folks complaining about the Eurowhite of A3's new livery - whilst forgetting that A3's livery was the definition of boring Eurowhite before and is, if anything, more colourful now.

BoardingPass

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Aegean's first A320neo (SX-NEO) completed its C1 flight today and will be delivered "wrapped" on Thursday night (19.12.2019). The airline will present its new livery only in January when the 2nd A320neo will join the fleet :)

bspc

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:04 pm

jeffh747 wrote:

I think its an option that Airbus offers to all customers on their NEOs.

FLYERLHR

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 pm

It gets delivered tomorrow - which means we could be seeing it

MikeUniformEcho

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Airlines do everything they can to cut costs nowadays and brands are getting more and more minimalist. But some people still get so angry when another airline goes eurowhite. The only people who care about airplane liveries are us. The general public just board through the jetbrige barely looking at the aircraft. I understand it was way cooler when airlines had more elaborated and different liveries, but there's no need to make a big deal out of it.
Aegean's livery was very outdated and in need of change.

Blerg

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:46 am

MikeUniformEcho wrote:
Airlines do everything they can to cut costs nowadays and brands are getting more and more minimalist. But some people still get so angry when another airline goes eurowhite. The only people who care about airplane liveries are us. The general public just board through the jetbrige barely looking at the aircraft. I understand it was way cooler when airlines had more elaborated and different liveries, but there's no need to make a big deal out of it.

I highly disagree, I think many people look at liveries as they are an important part of a business' identity. When it comes to Aegean, livery is extremely important as most of their fleet boards via a remote stand when departing from a Greek airport, Athens included. People look at the plane, take pictures of or with it ... while going up the stairs. There is a reason why all major airlines have interesting or impressive/iconic liveries.

Athan

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Credit: Twitter @Frenchpainter
Source: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EL_Eh90W4AASfEL.jpg:large

airboss787

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:39 pm

I like it. Very Qantas, Alaska and in a great way. I think this trend is better than the China Eastern type of Euro white paint schemes. The colors are bright and they stand out in the gloomy weather from the picture. I just hope the titles are big enough and I would love it even more.
Star Alliance Gold

Airdolomiti

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 pm

You can actually sort of see the titles below the white tape on that last photo. They certainly look large, and fairly plain typeface-wise. I hope it blends in well with the remainder of their corporate identity - I particularly like their corporate typeface as seen on their website, it works very well both with the Latin and Greek alphabet.

I will miss the current livery a little bit since A3 is one of my favourite airlines to fly on, but it is in dire need of a refresh, so I am looking forward to seeing the full livery.

Blerg

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:02 am

Hopefully they introduce new seats, the one they have now are not very comfortable especially on longer, night flights.

OA260

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 am

Its a very personal thing seats. I find them fine and most of my A3 flights are around 4 hours.

VC10er

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:22 pm

MikeUniformEcho wrote:

I read that so often, that “regular people don’t see the aircraft they are boarding from the jet bridge” - “people don’t care it doesn’t make a difference as purchase decisions are made based on other factors like price or airline FF miles or airline preferences”

This is all not true. Imagine if every single airline was just white with the airline name in plain Times Roman just big enough to read: Lufthansa, Singapore, Delta, United, American, British, Air France, Cathay. Southwest, EasyJet, JetBlue, Emirates etc, etc - all the same. (although the interiors were what they are now along with the level of service from each.

Consumers may not think they notice or care, but they don’t realize how much they actually do! I know MANY, MANY people who couldn’t care less about aviation but FLIPPED OUT when United killed the tulip!

Most airports I’ve been to, people CAN see all the planes out of the airport windows (maybe not the plane they are going to be on, but if you’re flying British Airways people will see dozens and dozens of BA aircraft. Then Thai comes rolling along, and people WILL feel something different. Or perhaps Qatar, DIFFERENT!

No matter how you slice it, a livery is one part of what distinguishes one airline from another. Each livery is an “Ad” because everything under the banner of “business communications” is advertising and advertising works.

blooc350

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:35 pm

F27500 wrote:

It wont go away so get use to it lol

CarbonFibre

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Skyliner says SX-NEO is being delivered today. Presumably leaving in the dark unless the white stickers get left on.

Blerg

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:31 pm

OA260 wrote:
Its a very personal thing seats. I find them fine and most of my A3 flights are around 4 hours.

Ok.

Athan

Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:55 pm

AEGEAN is expected to unveil their new brand identity in January 2020 on their first A320neo and A321neo which will go into service later that month. Expect a new logo among other things.

SEU

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:23 pm

F27500 wrote:

Its cheaper and 99% of the flying public dont care about the livery on the actual plane, more the branding on the website, tickets etc.

upintheair2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:00 pm

MikeUniformEcho

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:40 pm

VC10er wrote:
MikeUniformEcho wrote:

I read that so often, that “regular people don’t see the aircraft they are boarding from the jet bridge” - “people don’t care it doesn’t make a difference as purchase decisions are made based on other factors like price or airline FF miles or airline preferences”

This is all not true. Imagine if every single airline was just white with the airline name in plain Times Roman just big enough to read: Lufthansa, Singapore, Delta, United, American, British, Air France, Cathay. Southwest, EasyJet, JetBlue, Emirates etc, etc - all the same. (although the interiors were what they are now along with the level of service from each.

Consumers may not think they notice or care, but they don’t realize how much they actually do! I know MANY, MANY people who couldn’t care less about aviation but FLIPPED OUT when United killed the tulip!

Most airports I’ve been to, people CAN see all the planes out of the airport windows (maybe not the plane they are going to be on, but if you’re flying British Airways people will see dozens and dozens of BA aircraft. Then Thai comes rolling along, and people WILL feel something different. Or perhaps Qatar, DIFFERENT!

No matter how you slice it, a livery is one part of what distinguishes one airline from another. Each livery is an “Ad” because everything under the banner of “business communications” is advertising and advertising works.

I agree that liveries are a important part of the brand, otherwise all the planes would be painted in white. What I was trying to say is that some people make a HUGE deal when a livery changes to eurowhite, as if it was the most important thing about an airline.

sciing

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:45 pm

upintheair2019 wrote:

Unsharp, far away and the tail still covered, not really worth to be posted here.

upintheair2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:48 pm

sciing wrote:
upintheair2019 wrote:

Unsharp, far away and the tail still covered, not really worth to be posted here.

Maybe the photographer couldn't snap better pics, otherwise he would have done this.
If you've found better photos taken in ATH today with this aircraft, sharper pics, pls feel free to post them.

LoneSky

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:50 pm

Airdolomiti wrote:
You can actually sort of see the titles below the white tape on that last photo. They certainly look large, and fairly plain typeface-wise.

Not only can you discern the title, but with some basic photo manipulation you can clearly see two large "strokes" on the tail. They correspond to the two white strokes in this image I made:

What is interesting is the light blue stroke visible on the tail cone in the latest photos closely matches where the larger white stroke would lie if it were flipped vertically, as in the image above. Unfortunately there is nothing visible in the manipulated photo to indicate the light blue strokes are there at all, but the stroke on the tail cone clearly does goes up onto the tail so something light blue must be there. What exactly it is is all speculation, of course.

Wingtips56

Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:29 am

Anybody else see Canada's PWA/Pacific Western in that tail logo?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

CDGIAD
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:51 am

LoneSky wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:
You can actually sort of see the titles below the white tape on that last photo. They certainly look large, and fairly plain typeface-wise.

Not only can you discern the title, but with some basic photo manipulation you can clearly see two large "strokes" on the tail. They correspond to the two white strokes in this image I made:

What is interesting is the light blue stroke visible on the tail cone in the latest photos closely matches where the larger white stroke would lie if it were flipped vertically, as in the image above. Unfortunately there is nothing visible in the manipulated photo to indicate the light blue strokes are there at all, but the stroke on the tail cone clearly does goes up onto the tail so something light blue must be there. What exactly it is is all speculation, of course.

If this close to the final design, then I absolutely love it. This new logo would be awesome.
But when you look at the first picture from Twitter that I posted at the beginning, there seems to be a thick light blue line that goes across the rudder part, like the body of the bird, the thin line going down the fuselage being the wing.

AirwayBill

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:31 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
LoneSky wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:

If this close to the final design, then I absolutely love it. This new logo would be awesome.
But when you look at the first picture from Twitter that I posted at the beginning, there seems to be a thick light blue line that goes across the rudder part, like the body of the bird, the thin line going down the fuselage being the wing.

Same. This is some stunning work.

IndianicWorld

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:04 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
LoneSky wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:

Given that the image posted with the stickers covering are not exactly blocking it out, I would say that is the final design.

I hadn’t noticed at first, but looking closely, the name and tail design match the render posted.

sciing

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:07 pm

upintheair2019 wrote:
sciing wrote:
upintheair2019 wrote:

Maybe the photographer couldn't snap better pics, otherwise he would have done this.
If you've found better photos taken in ATH today with this aircraft, sharper pics, pls feel free to post them.

I am fine with the great ones taken in Toulouse.

OlympicATH

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:12 pm

If that is the design then I’m very disappointed. It is extremely generic and looks like a bad livery from 10 years ago. Nothing about it is memorable and sticks with you. The font is boring and the “logo” looks like it was designed by a 10 year old on Paint. It screams budget/charter, not premium flag carrier. They took something which was classy and elegant (but needed a refresh) and turned it into a cheap nightmare.

intaJET

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:27 pm

LoneSky wrote:
Airdolomiti wrote:

Season Greetings to everyone,

That is an outstanding rendition, and if close to actual (when unveiled), is First Class (minor pun intended), suites Aegean's corporate persona. Congratulations, great job!

Merry Christmas folks.

OA940

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:56 pm

The only reason people hate on this (and tbh any new livery) is because they just wanna whine and they're just afraid of change. People also bitched about the new QF, AC, SK and TN liveries and they now love them. It wasn't nice before and now it's just old and tiring. I say ask everyone who is whining now what they think of this livery in 2 years and 80% at least will say they like it now. Can't we just skip to that?

As for the livery itself it's a solid upgrade. The colours are very refreshing and they mix into eachother very well, plus they give off a fresh vacation/summer vibe (which is literally Greece's whole thing). Plus, that logo is elegant, a good modern evolution of the old logo, and kinda gives off an ancient pattern vibe. Overall a very nice brand
A350/CSeries = bae

redcap1962

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Athan wrote:

Makes me wonder it is allowed to fly the plane with this giant sticker on the stabilizer. Shouldnt block movement of the rudder in any way... :roll:
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

upintheair2019

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:11 pm

sciing wrote:
I am fine with the great ones taken in Toulouse.

A better one from ATH: www.facebook.com/pilotshop.gr/photos/a. ... 930041301/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneSky

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:21 pm

CDGIAD wrote:

That tapered light blue line that goes from the tail cone then up across the rudder is the only indication that something light blue is present on the vertical tail. It could be anything, the body of an abstract bird, a semi-circle representing the sun, etc. The only thing that seems clear are the two strokes:

Original image credit: Twitter @Frenchpainter

Because we know for certain part of the rudder is light blue yet no latent continuation of the light blue pattern is visible under the masking, it seems reasonable to speculate that the masking could be sufficient to obscure the light blue parts of the design but perhaps—perhaps—insufficient to obscure something lighter that contrasts more with the dark blue paint. Thus the reason for making the two strokes white, if any of that makes sense.

It also could be merely coincidence that the light blue line on the tail cone roughly matches an inverted white stroke and the actual design looks nothing like my image. I take no position on the merits of the design itself (@OlympicATH) and I leave it up to the reader to decide if there is any validity to this conjecture. Still, it's fun to sleuth while we await the unveiling. :)

LoneSky

Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:15 pm

One more thing I just noticed: if you closely examine the photo there is a sliver of unmasked area along the trailing edge of the rudder and another, smaller area roughly in the center of the tail where you can see the underlying paint color. I blurred the original image, increased the saturation, and marked the areas with colored arrows corresponding to the color that is visible to better illustrate what I mean:

Original image credit: Twitter @Frenchpainter

Not only do the colors match the rendering but the shapes do as well, at least where they intersect. In this nearly side-on photo (in which you can also just make out the colors in the slivers) I was able to align the design without much trouble:

Original image credit: Dieter Mueller
Source: https://xfw-spotter.blogspot.com/search/label/Aegean%20Airlines

A few days ago I didn't even know this airline existed. Now I almost can't wait to see the unveiling! Of course it will be more than a little embarrassing if I'm way off. :lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos