Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Qantas A380 door nearly ripped off aircraft during towing mishap

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:34 pm

A Qantas A380 (VH-OQB) has been damaged while being towed out of a hangar. The aircraft struck scaffolding and the front lower R1 door was nearly ripped off. As a result today's QF7 SYD-DFW was cancelled. It is expected to take about 2 weeks to repair the damaged aircraft

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 5391o.html
Forum Moderator

readytotaxi

Re: Qantas A380 door nearly ripped off aircraft during towing mishap

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Only the door damaged? Guess we are going to have wing walkers in the hanger now.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

zeke

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Not that long ago EK also had a door ripped off in an hanger incident.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

NWAROOSTER

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:19 pm

The aircraft must like being a Hanger Queen. When I was a mechanic you ALWAYS had Wing Walkers when an aircraft was being moved into or out of a hanger as well as when an aircraft was being moved to or from a gate at the ramp. You do not cut corners when towing an aircraft. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

smithbs

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Let me get in front of this right now - Please! No jokes about speed tape! We all know that joke!

Enough!

goosebayguy

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 pm

How the heck does such an event happen? Cost cutting on wing walkers just cost them any money ever saved.

ikramerica

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Maybe the plane is so big the wing walkers couldn’t see everything.
smithbs wrote:
Let me get in front of this right now - Please! No jokes about speed tape! We all know that joke!

Enough!

Is it a write off?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

VolvoBus

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:27 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Maybe the plane is so big the wing walkers couldn’t see everything.
smithbs wrote:

Enough!

Is it a write off?

I suspect your comment was facetious, but trying to visualise what happened, you might actually be right.

As I imagine the plane would have been with its nose in the hangar and tail outside,it was being pushed backwards. In this case,would wingwalkers have been towards the tail and wide,also ensuring no idiot was trying to drive something along the apron. From that position,would a wingwalker have been able to see the door ? Would it have been normal for the plane to be moved with the door open ? It rather looks as if it may have been moved before all the external access platforms had been removed to a safe position.

I have no knowledge of standard practices, but does my theory fit the available facts ?

787SIN

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Interesting, that door was definitely still open for maintenance as there is that red/white safety pole/strap in place. Probably a bit more to it than just being pushed out of the hangar as surely an engineer at QF would have done a walk around before commencing a push out of a hangar, especially one with what appears to be some form of docking to ensure all platforms are clear and doors are closed.

chonetsao

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Very sad for the aircraft involved. And operational nightmare for airline.

T4thH

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Someone will have to explain something, these two weeks out of duty will be a high expensive nightmare.

Cointrin330

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:35 pm

This will cause an operational nightmare for the airline, whose A380s (12 in all) are tightly scheduled and with the entire fleet going through cabin modifications.

JayinKitsap

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm

The scaffolding was safety yellow and not far from the nose wheel, even the tug operator should have seen this.

trnswrld

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:23 pm

How someone moves an A380 without looking around it first is beyond me...even if there were no other people assisting. Come awn guys, this is first day shit. Ofcourse I wasn't there so who knows what really happened.

AirbusOnly

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:53 pm

HiFly can help! Their „whale“ 9H-MIP is without work since October, 7! ;)

TWA772LR

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 am

smithbs wrote:

Enough!

The door is clearly stuck in that position. It needs WD40.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

lightsaber

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:29 am

AirbusOnly wrote:

If HiFly's A380 is available, time to press it into service. Not cheap, but the best solution.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

RyanairGuru

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:50 am

lightsaber wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

If HiFly's A380 is available, time to press it into service. Not cheap, but the best solution.

Lightsaber

It's early-to-mid November, a generally very quiet travel period. Between selectively cancelling a couple of DFW turns where there are realistic options to rebook passengers via LAX or SFO, or by downgauging QF35/36 MEL-SIN-MEL, they can probably cover for a couple of weeks. If this happened in 6 weeks time then they might need to consider alternatives.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Revelation

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:09 am

ikramerica wrote:
smithbs wrote:

Enough!

Is it a write off?

Clearly that won't buff out.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

par13del

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:32 am

I agree, speed tape will not work, gorilla tape on the other hand.......

WesternDC6B

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:25 am

smithbs wrote:

Enough!

What about “that will buff right out”?

/ducking

smi0006

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:40 am

In fairness- I know QF has very strict policies around moving their aircraft around the Sydney ‘jet base’ however I’d imagine Swiss cheese effect - something was left out in the way, another aircraft was parked adjacent to the hangar, wing Walker was so focused on the win tip he wasn’t looking at the forward nose, cabin door was left open due to excessive cabin heat?

I’d be more surprised if the wingtip has clipped, but this seems such an unusual angle I don’t think a walker is normally allocated to the front of the aircraft.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:43 am

You would think there would be a checklist (perhaps on a iPad or tablet) for the 'wingwalkers' to use and especially with the 380 due to likely tight clearances.

DBCoop3r

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:02 am

Looks like a classic case of not following procedure, probably due to schedule pressure.

With holiday travel and southern hemisphere summer approaching not the most ideal timing. A two week fix is lucky.

qf002

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:09 am

T4thH wrote:
Someone will have to explain something, these two weeks out of duty will be a high expensive nightmare.

I'd be more concerned for the person who took the photo and leaked it to the press.

cskok8

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:10 am

In addition to wingwalkers they should have doorwalkers?

juliuswong

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:17 am

Give Airbus a ring for new door or the scrapper scrapping ex-SQ breaker at LDE, they should have some spare lying around.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

ZK-NBT

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:31 am

chonetsao wrote:
Very sad for the aircraft involved. And operational nightmare for airline.

As much as we love aircraft, that can be repaired, someone might have some explaining to do, and yes an operational nightmare, fortunately it didn’t happen in a few more weeks with peak season approaching.

smi0006

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:41 am

qf002 wrote:
T4thH wrote:

I'd be more concerned for the person who took the photo and leaked it to the press.

Agreed, very inconsiderate of their colleagues in the Media team who have to manage this now, along with 737 pickle fork coverage. I believe in a just culture so unbiased investigations for those involved in the incident itself. For those that leaked the photo - no excuse, dismissal if caught.

Whilst contradictory- as an avgeek was whilst this is sad for the airframe, and I hope good learnings and practices are uncovered - glad the pic was leaked so we could understand a little more of the inner workings and events at QF.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 am

As mentioned on the Australian Thread, QF1 SYD-SIN-LHR is cancelled on Monday
Forum Moderator

OccasionalVisit

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:30 am

Steve Purvinas at the Engineering union is always very quick at blaming Qantas any time he's unhappy. What about when it's one of his guys who cause the damage ?

XT6Wagon

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:55 am

OccasionalVisit wrote:
Steve Purvinas at the Engineering union is always very quick at blaming Qantas any time he's unhappy. What about when it's one of his guys who cause the damage ?

It will somehow be traced to outsourced labor. Or "management pressures on staff to cut corners and work 200hr weeks with unpaid overtime".

whichever.

vhtje

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:04 am

OccasionalVisit wrote:
Steve Purvinas at the Engineering union is always very quick at blaming Qantas any time he's unhappy.

To be fair, questioning the actions of business/employers and defending the actions of members/employees is the very purpose of a union boss. What else would you have him do? I am sure that whichever employees were involved in this incident, they will be assisted through the inquiry process by their union.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

BrianWilkes

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 am

There spare 747 will cover for that loss...........

SwissCanuck

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Always walk around your trailer and make sure everything is shut tight. Towing 101. Jeez :)

If the whale is available maybe insurance will pick up the tab. I love the livery but the interior is kind of blah.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:27 pm

BrianWilkes wrote:

What spare 747 is that?
Forum Moderator

Cointrin330

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:42 pm

BrianWilkes wrote:

Which one? There are only 6 left and they're spoken for on other routes.

B757Forever

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:32 pm

smi0006 wrote:
In fairness- I know QF has very strict policies around moving their aircraft around the Sydney ‘jet base’ however I’d imagine Swiss cheese effect - something was left out in the way, another aircraft was parked adjacent to the hangar, wing Walker was so focused on the win tip he wasn’t looking at the forward nose, cabin door was left open due to excessive cabin heat?

I’d be more surprised if the wingtip has clipped, but this seems such an unusual angle I don’t think a walker is normally allocated to the front of the aircraft.

Having moved thousands of aircraft in my career, I could easily see this occurring because I have witnessed similar damages. There are many more obstacles moving an aircraft into and out of a hangar than when moving one on the the ramp. People get in a hurry due to schedule pressures and may not necessarily follow the proper procedures resulting in damage.
At my employer, we have a checklist to be completed before aircraft movement into or out of the hangar. The checklist ensures that the correct number of personnel are assigned, it names the person in charge of the movement (who is not the tug driver), it ensures that everyone has an air horn in their hand (to stop movement if needed) and that every person involved knows their area of responsibility.
In this case, it's hard for me to understand how someone failed to move the stand clear of the aircraft prior to movement as it is quite close to the tug driver's location. Human factors will do it every time!
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

NWAROOSTER

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Is Qantas going to need to buy a door from one of the Singapore Airlines A380s being scrapped???? Or can the door actual be repaired???? What about the door frame?? Interesting scenario. :old:

Revelation

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:06 pm

NWAROOSTER wrote:
Is Qantas going to need to buy a door from one of the Singapore Airlines A380s being scrapped???? Or can the door actual be repaired???? What about the door frame?? Interesting scenario. :old:

Two weeks down time suggests that either doors are very difficult to source (probably not since there are scrapped frames around and/or Airbus could probably "loan" one off the testbed / museum piece till a new one is built) or damage extends beyond the door.

EDIT: A post on another aviation forum suggests each door is made specifically for each aircraft based on a laser scan of the fuse. Maybe this is why it is taking two weeks to repair the plane.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

NWAROOSTER

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Revelation wrote:
NWAROOSTER wrote:

Two weeks down time suggests that either doors are very difficult to source (probably not since there are scrapped frames around and/or Airbus could probably "loan" one off the testbed / museum piece till a new one is built) or damage extends beyond the door.

EDIT: A post on another aviation forum suggests each door is made specifically for each aircraft based on a laser scan of the fuse. Maybe this is why it is taking two weeks to repair the plane.

I find it ludicrous that the passenger doors are custom made for the A380. Doors get damaged all the time. Usually it when the boarding gate suddenly move and the door gets damaged. Airlines either have spare doors or one is robbed off an aircraft that is in check. The donor door may get returned after the damaged door is repaired. Two Singapore A380s, frames three and five, have already been scrapped or are in the process of being scrapped. Also there are two more that are now withdrawn from service. What are the airlines, if there are any, going to do if they need to replace a damaged door ten years from now if the doors are custom made for each aircraft. Scrap the aircraft or spend a million dollars for a custom made replacement which could take six months. I have seen many aircraft photos showing doors with their frames removed. Is that how a damaged door going to be repaired or replaced? I hope NOT. :old:

nry

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
smithbs wrote:

Enough!

What about “that will buff right out”?

/ducking

Nothing that a couple of Shamwows could clean up.

The real question is whether or not this impacts the ability to haul fish.
B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, B787, DC9/MD80, DC10, MD11
A319, A320 (+neo), A321, A330, A340
L1011
ATR77, CRJ200, CRJ700, E145, E170, E175

EK413

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 am

NWAROOSTER wrote:
Revelation wrote:
NWAROOSTER wrote:

I find it ludicrous that the passenger doors are custom made for the A380. Doors get damaged all the time. Usually it when the boarding gate suddenly move and the door gets damaged. Airlines either have spare doors or one is robbed off an aircraft that is in check. The donor door may get returned after the damaged door is repaired. Two Singapore A380s, frames three and five, have already been scrapped or are in the process of being scrapped. Also there are two more that are now withdrawn from service. What are the airlines, if there are any, going to do if they need to replace a damaged door ten years from now if the doors are custom made for each aircraft. Scrap the aircraft or spend a million dollars for a custom made replacement which could take six months. I have seen many aircraft photos showing doors with their frames removed. Is that how a damaged door going to be repaired or replaced? I hope NOT. :old:

If a replacement door is required & based on the image I’d say would be the case they can rob a door off 1 A380 currently in Heavy MX AUH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

jumbojet

Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 am

is the scaffolding OK?

hongkongflyer

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:58 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
BrianWilkes wrote:

Which one? There are only 6 left and they're spoken for on other routes.

They have spare to do the Antarctica flights<- just a joke. I just off the one on 10 Nov

AtomicGarden

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 am

smithbs wrote:

Enough!

I thought you were gonna gonna lose it over the "hanger" thing :weeping:
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos