Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

edealinfo
Topic Author

Status on London Heathrow's 3rd Runway?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 pm

It has been a couple of years since London approved a 3rd runway for Heathrow. So, whats's the status?

1) Has land acquisition been completed?

2) Have existing structures on the acquired land been flattened?

3) Has construction of the 3rd runway commenced?

4) When could we reasonably expect the 3rd runway to be operational?

5) Have the price for LHR slots decreased now that LHR will have a 3rd runway? if so, by how much has the price declined?

6) Have the UK authorities decided on an allocation strategy for the new slots that will open up for the 3rd runway?

7) Has Gatwick's proposal for a 2nd runway been cleared as yet?

LAX772LR

Re: What is the status on London Heathrow's 3rd Runway?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:11 pm

edealinfo wrote:
It has been a couple of years since London approved a 3rd runway for Heathrow. So, whats's the status?

Same as it's been for the last 4 decades or so.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

by738

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 pm

edealinfo wrote:

There is actually more recent discussion about formalising use of the taxiway back up runway as a '2nd runway'

scbriml

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Ask again in about ten years. There may have been some progress by then.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DobboDobbo

Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:51 pm

The parties manifestos are coming out shortly - and we will k ow more the . I think at least one of them (possibly both) will set out conditional opposition to the runway, but that is little more than an semi-educated guess.

In summary, the political situation is a mess and it would take a miracle for this scheme to see the light of day.

Aesma

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 pm

I missed my first take-off ever the other day because the queue was so long at LHR that I fell asleep waiting and the A321Neo took off gently enough that I only woke up at top of descent !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cledaybuck

Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:30 pm

It’s right around the corner. Always has been, always will be.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

chunhimlai

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:56 am

Long long time ago when labour still had the majority, they have their own 3rd runway plan

At that moment Cameron slogan is “No if No but No third runway”
And Boris claim that he will stand in front of the bulldozer of LHR 3rd runway

rbavfan

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:21 am

LOL status? perpetual limbo.

Wingtips56

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:50 am

scbriml wrote:
Ask again in about ten years. There may have been some progress by then.

Maybe the first landing on the new LHR 3rd runway will be the first departure from the new Berlin-Brandenburg?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:09 am

Aesma wrote:
I missed my first take-off ever the other day because the queue was so long at LHR that I fell asleep waiting and the A321Neo took off gently enough that I only woke up at top of descent !

Let the co-pilot do that leg, did you?

:duck:
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

JHwk

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:42 am

Evey time I think about how dysfunctional the US is, I just turn my attention to LHR...

Arion640

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 am

chunhimlai wrote:
Long long time ago when labour still had the majority, they have their own 3rd runway plan

Just didn’t see the point of Camerons delay to be honest.

The 3rd runway is actually closer to be being built that it’s ever been though.

Bongodog49

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:35 am

As of today, it is still Govt policy to build a 3rd runway at LHR, the two major parties have flip flopped over the years over supporting the proposal, Labour have recently stated that if they win the election they will scrap the 3rd runway, having previously supported it.

The consultation on the plan closed in September, LHR will report on the results in due course, but I can't see that being before the election. Providing the new Govt supports the 3rd runway the plan will the be rewritten to take account of the consultation (some things will get altered, others will have a reason given why the consultation is being ignored) then it will go to public enquiry. When that has finished they might start buying land and digging.

There is presently no approval or even official policy for a 2nd runway at LGW

Armodeen

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 am

chunhimlai wrote:

Boris also claimed he would rather be dead in a ditch than not leave the EU on October 31st. We aren't out and he isn't dead, so make of Boris' hyperbole what you will.

Like other posters said, come back in 10 years minimum.

SwissCanuck

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Aesma wrote:

10 years and almost 12,000 posts and you flew in a plane for the first time the other day? Seriously? :eyepopping: That must have been a hell of a day for you. And you must be able to sleep anywhere.

VSMUT

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Even if they broke ground tomorrow, it would be optimistic to hope that it would be done in 10 years.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Bongodog49 wrote:
As of today, it is still Govt policy to build a 3rd runway at LHR, the two major parties have flip flopped over the years over supporting the proposal, Labour have recently stated that if they win the election they will scrap the 3rd runway, having previously supported it.

The consultation on the plan closed in September, LHR will report on the results in due course, but I can't see that being before the election. Providing the new Govt supports the 3rd runway the plan will the be rewritten to take account of the consultation (some things will get altered, others will have a reason given why the consultation is being ignored) then it will go to public enquiry. When that has finished they might start buying land and digging.

There is presently no approval or even official policy for a 2nd runway at LGW

Thank you.

jomur

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:26 pm

The owners of Heathrow Airport have been buying up land around the airport for years so probably not too much to purchase.

chunhimlai

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:52 pm

I think it is the time to discuss LHR 4th runway, not the 3rd one

airbazar

Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:55 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Even if they broke ground tomorrow, it would be optimistic to hope that it would be done in 10 years.

With that I have to disagree. T5 took less than 6 years and that was inside an active airport and all the restrictions that that imposes.
The proposed 3rd runway and associated buildings being off to the side should move a bit faster. Everything I've read about this estimates it at about 5 years

lightsaber

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:15 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
I think it is the time to discuss LHR 4th runway, not the 3rd one

I agree. London has the demand. The A321xLR, longer range proposed MAX, and possible NMA cry out for a massive amount of hub feed.

Huh, for some reason no one puts me in charge of the bulldozers.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TC957

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Judging by the stacking over Surrey I had on my MAD - LHR flight this morning waiting to land - on a Sunday morning in off-season November - that 3rd runway can't come quick enough. With several other aircraft in the stack too...how much fuel gets wasted and extra CO2 produced daily must be astronomical. Bet the NIMBY's don't think about that ! Wish they would just get on with that runway and be done with.

GibbonUK

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm

With the current Political climate in the UK dominated by one subject; the fact that the X party will automatically disagree with the Y party irrespective of the topic (one will say the sky is green and grass is blue just to oppose the other) .
Now throw in a 'Greta' , Emma 'I flew first class to be here' Thompson and the other privilege few that are on a break from their skiing in the south of France to block the work and this runway has about as much chance of happening as world peace!

With government reports detailing that an additional runway is needed in the SE by the 2030's the economic benefit of doing so is in the Billions (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ersion.pdf), I'm sure most official and politicians are aware of the net benefits personally, but political point scoring rules all!

BartSimpson

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
Aesma wrote:

10 years and almost 12,000 posts and you flew in a plane for the first time the other day? Seriously? :eyepopping: That must have been a hell of a day for you. And you must be able to sleep anywhere.

You got it wrong. He missed a takeoff for the first time because he fell asleep. It was not his first takeoff.

Revelation

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:27 pm

JHwk wrote:
Every time I think about how dysfunctional the US is, I just turn my attention to LHR...

Every time I think about how dysfunctional the US is, I just turn my attention to BER...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Gr8Circle

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:57 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
SwissCanuck wrote:
Aesma wrote:

You got it wrong. He missed a takeoff for the first time because he fell asleep. It was not his first takeoff.

The way its written, I too first thought he was saying it was his first flight ever....

uta999

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 pm

If LHR has 480000 movements a year, with an official average delay of 15 minutes each, I make that 5000 days of delays per year, or 120000 hours of stacking, taxiing and queuing with engines at idle.

Way to go Greenies...
Your computer just got better

edealinfo
Topic Author

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:10 pm

I don't get it:

1. UK wants to reduce CO2 emissions but lefts aircraft "hold" waiting for the airport to open at 6 am.

2. UK wants to increase capacity at Healthrow but won't allow flights from 11 pm to 6am

3. UK is stalling at building the 3rd LHR runway yet won't allow flights from 11 pm to 6am

GO FIGURE!

Andy33

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Very simple
The current Prime Minister has a constituency within earshot of Heathrow. There is an election next month. He wants to be re-elected. GO FIGURE!

afterburner33

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:23 pm

One of the many great shames about Brexit is that it doesn't really matter what the policies of any of the parties are towards things like this. Boris could stand up tomorrow and announce he's going to bulldoze LHR and turn it into a Peace Park, and no one would notice because "GET BREXIT DONE", etc, etc.. Stuff like this is going to be totally drowned out - this election is ultimately going to be about one thing, and one thing only.

Just yet another example of how wasted the last 3 years have been. I'd be amazed if anyone mentioned anything to do with LHR extensions any time before Feb next year.

skipness1E

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:43 pm

The expansion passed Parliament and is now proceeding through planning permission and the usual legal challenges. It's on course to happen until such time as a new government cancels it, which Boris has said he won't now do.

It's only a part of the election campaign so much as John McDonnell has said Labour will cancel it but the unions are not going to roll over on that one. Given it's not looking like Labour are getting in, certainly not as a majority, then the planning process will trundle on.

skipness1E

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:00 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I don't get it:

1. UK wants to reduce CO2 emissions but lefts aircraft "hold" waiting for the airport to open at 6 am.

2. UK wants to increase capacity at Healthrow but won't allow flights from 11 pm to 6am

3. UK is stalling at building the 3rd LHR runway yet won't allow flights from 11 pm to 6am

GO FIGURE!

The airport doesn't "open at 6am" as has been explained numerous times.
The third runway is not stalled, it was approved by Parliament last summer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44609898

eurotrader85

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Legally I think its a bit closer now to the point it would be legally difficult to block again according to John Holland-Kaye. Funny enough Boris Johnson has also softened his tone since becoming Prime Minister and begrudgingly grumbled 'he can't do anything' or in political speak, now I'm PM I have to drop this pretence and have to worry about bigger things and interests than NIMBYs in Ruislip. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7275969/Heathrow-expansion-fait-accompli-airports-chief-executive-says.html

4) When could we reasonably expect the 3rd runway to be operational?
In theory 2026, but that has been the target for a few years and buldozers haven't quite got to the point of knocking down houses in the villages of Sipson etc.

Agreed on the comments about the 4th runway. How the debate has not moved on to this is bizarre. The debate should be about the 4th runway and sixth and seventh terminals, yet here we are 15 years after it reached 'capacity' discussing what was being talked about and 30 years ago and approved over a decade ago. The only thing that has kept numbers rising is the 380s and other WBs stuffing passengers through the gates with EKs 6 a day etc, and with that programme ending where does the growth come from? Oman Air had to pay $75mln for a single purchase and landing slot in the grey secondary market. That level is not healthy for the economy of London or Britain. It's only WBs now that can justify that market level of expenditure (minus BA with its hub operation) and highlights why the number of destinations at the airport has actually dropped relative to its peers.

The runway cannot be built quick enough.

Not yet. They still need safety clearance to demonstrate that flights can takeoff/land side by side without impacting each other (wake turbulence etc). In any case the way Gatwick is trying to set up usage of the north runway, it would not have the same capacity as the current main runway, using smaller planes etc which will interfere less operationally.

My two cents, they should move the 'main runway' further across south, far enough to comply and be used for normal operations. The North Runway can be used during this time as it does now when maintenance is being applied to the main runway. Once built Gatwick will have two fully functioning runways while technically no 'new' runway has been built in the South East, by-passing the usual NIMBY nonsense.

peterinlisbon

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm

This is the UK we're talking about. I wouldn't expect them to ever get anything done. They'll be having meetings, discussions, inquiries, committees, public consultations and so on for the next 20 years at least.

StdTank80002

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:43 pm

You'll be pleased to know that it isn't just airport infrastructure decisions that are being paralysed by the B word. I'm a rail engineer and the current political climate in the UK is crippling the sector with the lack of clarity bringing in associated cost increases to cover the risk.

Unfortunately I see Heathrow being used as a political football for years to come causing delays and cost increases which may or may not lead to it being abandoned depending on who gets in power and what impacts the elusive Brexit may or may not have.

uta999

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:55 pm

It should be made law that large national infrastructure projects fall outside of local party politics, and cannot be stopped by a change of government or PM. These projects often take over ten years to complete and need to progress regardless of which numpty group wins a majority. Otherwise no-one will invest in them here ever again.

StdTank80002

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:30 pm

uta999 wrote:
It should be made law that large national infrastructure projects fall outside of local party politics, and cannot be stopped by a change of government or PM. These projects often take over ten years to complete and need to progress regardless of which numpty group wins a majority. Otherwise no-one will invest in them here ever again.

Completely agree, the same situation occurs with investment in every major infrastructure sector. Energy is the same state.

The national infrastructure commission was set up to try do this but you can't do anything unless all political parties sign up.

spinotter

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

StdTank80002 wrote:
uta999 wrote:

Completely agree, the same situation occurs with investment in every major infrastructure sector. Energy is the same state.

The national infrastructure commission was set up to try do this but you can't do anything unless all political parties sign up.

National infrastructure projects? You mean the ones that will push the biosphere into the death of every eucaryote on the earth? I'm glad that you want more kerosene, more asphalt, and more moving around resulting in CO2 emissions pushing Terra into death. What is the matter with you and your national infrastructure projects?

LHRApproach

Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I don't get it:

GO FIGURE!

This isn’t a real issue.
Depart LHR at midnight and arrive in New York around 3 am. Great.

Or arrive Munich, Zurich or Geneva around 3am. They’re all closed.

This is just a bit of spin offered by the airport that anyone fighting expansion who has actually bothered to understand the impact knows doesn’t need to be won.

StdTank80002

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:43 pm

spinotter wrote:
StdTank80002 wrote:
uta999 wrote:

National infrastructure projects? You mean the ones that will push the biosphere into the death of every eucaryote on the earth? I'm glad that you want more kerosene, more asphalt, and more moving around resulting in CO2 emissions pushing Terra into death. What is the matter with you and your national infrastructure projects?

I mean like flood defence and mitigation, energy supply (its all well and good getting rid of coal but something needs to replace it currently there isn't enough renewable built with no plans to build enough), I mean like widespread electrification of the railway network to reduce C02. The point I made was much wider than Heathrow Airport extra runway but was equally applicable to it.

Notice three examples I gave of national infrastructure which aren't kerosene and asphalt based.

leghorn

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Since the market is shifting to A321LRs and 737-10(if max doesn't kill boeing) can they not cut the runway length of the 3rd Runway by more than the 300 metres already proposed, avoid the re-routing of the motorway and just use the shorter northern runway for planes of size A320 and smaller. It'll give the locals the impression they won but in actuality they'll have even more planes(albeit quieter models) landing closer to them than would otherwise have happened.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:22 pm

LHRApproach wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
I don't get it:

GO FIGURE!

This isn’t a real issue.

This is just a bit of spin offered by the airport that anyone fighting expansion who has actually bothered to understand the impact knows doesn’t need to be won.

Why can’t the market decide on night flights? If LHR is open 24 hours for flights, as does, JFK, for instance, the market will work like the way it usually does. There are lots of flights from JFK after midnight including flights to AOuth Korea, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, etc., to name just a few.

flyingisthebest

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:40 pm

LHRApproach wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
I don't get it:

GO FIGURE!

This isn’t a real issue.

It is a 24/7 operation would allow for the proposed Project Sunrise nonstop flight from London to Sydney to depart after work and arrive at the start of the day in Sydney. That’s the highest yielding times for uk/eu to Aus flights.

Currently with curfews at both SYd/LHR the flight can’t get into SYD before the curfew if the flight leaves after 4pm. Assuming the uk finishes the working day at 5pm?

skipness1E

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:50 pm

edealinfo wrote:
LHRApproach wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
I don't get it:

GO FIGURE!

This isn’t a real issue.

Why can’t the market decide on night flights? If LHR is open 24 hours for flights, as does, JFK, for instance, the market will work like the way it usually does. There are lots of flights from JFK after midnight including flights to AOuth Korea, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, etc., to name just a few.

The market can't decide on night flights because it would be horrific for everyone under the flight path. I live nearby, not under the flight path but I do get the 09R departures in the turn for Compton on Easterlies. Now I can sleep through that (surprisingly) but the final approach over Hounslow all the way to Clalpham is not something I could live with. Even living by Canary Wharf was even more disturbing as the inbounds from BNN/LAM put the power on as they turned base leg. I could not support that 24/7 and I say that as strong supporter of LHR R3.
Anyone even asking this has, I can only assume, zero familiarity with the London area.

Besides, even curfew free LGW only has based inbounds coming home after midnight and nothing at all departing. You can find edge cases for niche markets but it's *REALLY* not worth the pain that it would inflict. We got the runway approved, take the win and know when you're ahead. airliners.net has an issue around just because something is technically possible, does not mean to say it's the right thing to do.

uta999

Heathrow 3rd runway 12 month delay

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 am

Heathrow Airport has said its project to build a third runway, has been delayed by "at least 12 months" after the aviation regulator rejected its spending plans.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has refused Heathrow's request to lift spending from £650m to £2.4bn before it even gets planning consent. The CAA is concerned passengers will end up shouldering the cost if Heathrow does not win permission to expand.

The airport now expects to complete a third runway between 2028 and 2029.

BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50861132

What is the Masterplan?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48668001

DobboDobbo

Re: Heathrow 3rd runway 12 month delay

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:26 am

It is also worth noting that the new Conservative government’s manifesto stated that this project would get no new public money.

This is relevant for two reasons. First, whilst the direct costs of the project are borne by HHL (owners of LHR) these costs have been underwritten by the government. This throws doubt over whether these costs will be underwritten in future, and this might make the project more expensive and even harder to deliver than it already is.

Second, it has been established that the project needs anything between £10bn to £30bn (depending on who you believe) of public funds to improve the surface access around the airport. Unless HHL are going to stump up for this, which is highly unlikely, this may be the opening stages of the government permitting this project to either on the vine.

SoEWR

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:26 am

Why 8 years to build a runway?

Armodeen

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:15 am

Should have added the year to the title, because for sure there will be a new 12 month delay every 12 months and we will need a new thread each year!

Kikko19

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:27 am

they have to remove entire villages and highways... 8 years would be ok in China not in Europe ehm west (uk has sailed). IMHO it will never be done.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos