Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gen2stew
Topic Author

AA Employee Survey

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 pm

AA is again polling the workforce. The article from VIEW FROM THE WING is yet another reminder that the Tempe management is over their heads/out of sinc/unable to grasp what AA is supposed to be. Very sad and very worrisome.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american-ai ... questions/
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

LAXintl

Re: AA Employee Survey

Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:50 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with company surveying employees.

Results need not be shared publicly or with entire employee groups. Surveys can be important to track trends and receive feedback.

What or how AA wants to deal with a survey is entirely within its right.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 am

Gary Leff is insufferably cynical. There are lots of ways to handle employee surveys, and selective dissemination of results is common.

CHOWahoo

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:13 am

This happens in my workplace every year. Rephrase or eliminate the questions that didn't elicit the desired responses. Don't ask questions where you know the answer will be unfavorable. Focus on the responses that seem to affirm senior management's strategy. Middle management gets blamed for the unfavorable responses. Rinse and repeat.

airtran737

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:16 am

It doesn't matter how they adjust the survey. AA doesn't have the wherewithal to do anything to fix the negative answers which were in the last survey.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

bob75013

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:32 am

CHOWahoo wrote:
This happens in my workplace every year. Rephrase or eliminate the questions that didn't elicit the desired responses. Don't ask questions where you know the answer will be unfavorable. Focus on the responses that seem to affirm senior management's strategy. Middle management gets blamed for the unfavorable responses. Rinse and repeat.

I ran the survey process for a fortune 50 firm. Surveyed people from Toyko, to Bostom to Freising and everywhere in between. Surveyed over 50,000 people in some years. We did it every year. The company invested millions every year in the process. You don't invest millions to play games. Most questions did not change from year to year. Why? Trends are important. New questions were added as new topics of interest surfaced.

WesternDC6B

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:37 am

When I was confronted with surveys at work, I gave totally neutral and “vanilla” answers. Zero to Ten got average answers. Why? Because anonymous surveys aren’t anonymous. I may be cynical or paranoid, but, I don’t believe for two seconds that the pages aren’t somehow identifiable.

Why risk a job?
Last edited by WesternDC6B on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

mga707

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:38 am

Employer surveys always are used against employees come contract negotiation time. That is exactly why have always urge employees to not participate in them.

MO11

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:46 am

gen2stew wrote:
AA is again polling the workforce. The article from VIEW FROM THE WING is yet another reminder that the Tempe management is over their heads/out of sinc/unable to grasp what AA is supposed to be. Very sad and very worrisome.

When you say "Tempe management", certainly you are referring to people that used to work in Tempe, not where their offices are now?

stl07

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 am

I take surveys. If you are as paranoid as some of the above posters suggest, its time for you to look for a new job in a company you can at least somewhat trust.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Sydscott

Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:58 am

stl07 wrote:
I take surveys. If you are as paranoid as some of the above posters suggest, its time for you to look for a new job in a company you can at least somewhat trust.

I've always taken the surveys as well. As long as the feedback you give is constructive / framed in a helpful manner with suggestions on how to improve there isn't a risk to your job and there will likely be lots of minor / tiny suggestions for improvement at specific places or in specific things that AA could do that cost basically nothing but improves a particular aspect of service or Club or something. Only idiots bitch and moan in an employee survey so just don't be one of those people.

winginit

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:22 am

gen2stew wrote:

... and? Delta and United both poll their workforces every single year, sometimes more than once.

superjeff

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:47 am

Good Grief! This is ridiculous. American is no different than their competition, including international competition.

mga707

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:48 am

mga707 wrote:
Employer surveys always are used against employees come contract negotiation time. That is exactly why have always urge employees to not participate in them.

Left out the word 'unions' above. Between 'why' and 'have'. Could not seem to edit post. Sorry. And no, not 'paranoia', as suggested. Just years of experience.

D L X

Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:58 am

Why does anyone give a whit what Gary Leff says?

DeltaConnection

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 am

LAXintl wrote:

Results need not be shared publicly or with entire employee groups. Surveys can be important to track trends and receive feedback.

I am pretty new to A.Net, but I didn't realize they allowed AA management to openly post on these forums?

DeltaConnection

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:06 am

winginit wrote:
gen2stew wrote:

... and? Delta and United both poll their workforces every single year, sometimes more than once.

Except in the case of DL and UA the majority of the workforces are happy. When I connected through ORD last week I saw every AA pilot wearing "It's Time" Lanyards. Clearly can't be happy, and I'm sure the mechanics and FA's and even gate agents aren't very happy either.

chepos

AA Employee Survey

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 am

gen2stew wrote:

The mormon families killed in Sonora was sad, some of the situations going on in this country are worrisome. In the grand scheme of things an optional internal employee survey does not seem as something that should cause grief or despair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by chepos on Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fly the Flag!!!!

stl07

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 am

mga707 wrote:
mga707 wrote:

Left out the word 'unions' above. Between 'why' and 'have'. Could not seem to edit post. Sorry. And no, not 'paranoia', as suggested. Just years of experience.

That wasn't directed at you
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:35 am

DeltaConnection wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

I am pretty new to A.Net, but I didn't realize they allowed AA management to openly post on these forums?

As long as you don't share any secrets, they don't care. The mods are also pretty good at making sure they don't say anything they shouldn't and if secretes are shared, they are instantly deleted.

flyaadc10

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 am

Interesting that you all care that much about us to post this Unless you work for the company - step off. We don't need your opinions. We'll figure it out on our own.

winginit

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm

flyaadc10 wrote:
Interesting that you all care that much about us to post this Unless you work for the company - step off. We don't need your opinions. We'll figure it out on our own.

So you don't think non-AA employees should post their opinions about how AA treat their employees? Yeesh no wonder your airline is in such a disastrous state...

D L X

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:31 pm

winginit wrote:
flyaadc10 wrote:

So you don't think non-AA employees should post their opinions about how AA treat their employees? Yeesh no wonder your airline is in such a disastrous state...

I think he’s saying non-AA employees (such as Gary Leff) shouldn’t tell AA employees how they feel.

slvrblt

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm

The issue isn't conducting surveys; as stated above, companies do that all the time. The trouble is, AA (USAir) doesn't give a darn about opinions or surveys, it's just an exercise. Why bother? Save the cost - you won't listen or do anything to make constructive changes anyway. You've gotten lots of feedback - what have you done? Not much to speak of. Actions speak louder than words, you don't react, and we don't believe you anymore anyway.

To me, AA died in 2014. This current company isn't worthy of the history, or the name of American Airlines. This is just USAir by another name, they should have called it that and let AA die a death with dignity. I've spent 30+ years at least feeling appreciated in some way or another, valued for input and suggestion that were actually listened to at times. Yes, legacy AA did listen. I was at more than one President's conference hosted by Crandall where things came to light and were addressed, ON THE SPOT. Local management listened too, lest it be brought up at the President's conference.
Now - they don't listen nor care to hear suggestions or constructive criticism. You can even describe to them in significant detail how an ill-conceived process or policy is going to work out (been there, seen and done that) but they ignore you.

Management preaches customer service and ''elevating the experience'' which is laughable and supremely hippocritical. Our company policy and actions are anything but service friendly. We cancel flights for crew issues or mechanical delays ( which anyone can have) but, then our guidance is to ''protect FIRAV." (first available). All the flights are full; so when is FIRAV? Next week? Next month? When? You're not allowed to rebook on another carrier, that's out. So, yes sir, here you go. Your family is 41st on the standby list. Enjoy that long-awaited vacation, and have a great flight!!
For no-protect things like that, legacy AA would have had an extra section flight or upgrade of equipment to lift out the distressed passengers. Not this management bunch. No way. You're out of luck as a passenger.

Further, our lives don't exist in a vacuum. All companies have policies, they should be treated as guidance, as legacy AA did. Sometimes rules should be bent, when life throws you a curve, and a company's policy may state one thing but human decency dictates another. We were always allowed to make an exception or modify a rule, as long as justification was applied and documented. No more.
No matter the circumstances, you will be called in and admonished or worse for digressing outside established rules.

I'm fine with it now, used to it, and only have about a year to retirement so I don't really care anymore. It's what USAir wants, so I do it. I'm just sorry the American Airlines name is still attached to it.
..everything works out in the end.

spinotter

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:34 pm

CHOWahoo wrote:

So you believe that the entire exercise is just for show? Why even do it, then? Window dressing? You'd like to think that there is something good, even in AA management!

alasizon

Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 pm

slvrblt wrote:
Management preaches customer service and ''elevating the experience'' which is laughable and supremely hippocritical. Our company policy and actions are anything but service friendly. We cancel flights for crew issues or mechanical delays ( which anyone can have) but, then our guidance is to ''protect FIRAV." (first available). All the flights are full; so when is FIRAV? Next week? Next month? When? You're not allowed to rebook on another carrier, that's out. So, yes sir, here you go. Your family is 41st on the standby list. Enjoy that long-awaited vacation, and have a great flight!!
For no-protect things like that, legacy AA would have had an extra section flight or upgrade of equipment to lift out the distressed passengers. Not this management bunch. No way. You're out of luck as a passenger.

Ignoring the operational issues that exist that prohibit an extra section during peak periods and the fact that it has nothing to do with the C-Suite or even middle management, submit your concerns as part of the survey. Yes, everyone knows the operation has been rough but if you don't say anything (even on stuff that you feel seems obvious, repetitive and un-important to management) then you have no right to complain about them not listening.

The survey is a chance for the employees to actually put forth their opinions and provide details and example to try to make the company better. If all one ever says is "it sucks" then its never going to get better; can't expect management to put forth all the effort to come up with the solutions and implement them and execute them.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

slvrblt

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:09 pm

alasizon wrote:
slvrblt wrote:

Ignoring the operational issues that exist that prohibit an extra section during peak periods and the fact that it has nothing to do with the C-Suite or even middle management, submit your concerns as part of the survey. Yes, everyone knows the operation has been rough but if you don't say anything (even on stuff that you feel seems obvious, repetitive and un-important to management) then you have no right to complain about them not listening.

The survey is a chance for the employees to actually put forth their opinions and provide details and example to try to make the company better. If all one ever says is "it sucks" then its never going to get better; can't expect management to put forth all the effort to come up with the solutions and implement them and execute them.

So. You're a tower manager. Stung you, did I? Well and good; take it as constructive criticism. Did you even read the part where I said we've specifically pointed out things to managers that are still ignored? May I point out you don't have to deal face to face with the upset, discomfited passengers on the floor that irrops mishandling causes? You state there's operational issues that ''prohibit an extra section during peak periods......blah blah. ''Submit my concerns as part of the survey,'' etc,, etc. You see? Easy for you to say, isn't it? That's symptomatic of whats wrong at AA now. Please don't preach nonsense to me about your problems during peak periods; that happens as a matter of course of doing business to any airline; Delta, even United seems to handle theirs quite well, like legacy AA used to. Doug Parker publicly states he wants us to be more like them. You preplan for those; like knowing it will snow in winter; like knowing there will be storms and heavy loads in summer. Nothing new. But we can't handle any hiccups very well. Legacy AA dealt with it as a matter of course, but the AA people who knew how to manage plan B, C, D are gone. This USAir management can't get a grip. You state it has nothing to do with the C-Suite or middle management?? Really?? Look in the mirror, sir or madam, whoever you are. Good grief.

RDUDDJI

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:23 pm

stl07 wrote:

This. If you really believe your company is out to get you, it’s in your interest to find another job.

My company does these surveys every two years. There are changes that come about as a result. There were two managers in my department I know of that got fired this year because their employees essentially said they had no faith in their leadership and weren’t happy in their job. (There was an investigation, but the managers in question didn’t respond well to their subordinates input when questioned by their managers, so they gone).

I knew one of the managers and he deserved to be fired. No leadership skills and very lazy. Didn’t know the other one.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

alasizon

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:35 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
stl07 wrote:

This. If you really believe your company is out to get you, it’s in your interest to find another job.

My company does these surveys every two years. There are changes that come about as a result. There were two managers in my department I know of that got fired this year because their employees essentially said they had no faith in their leadership and weren’t happy in their job. (There was an investigation, but the managers in question didn’t respond well to their subordinates input when questioned by their managers, so they gone).

I knew one of the managers and he deserved to be fired. No leadership skills and very lazy. Didn’t know the other one.

Part of the problem with the management portion of the survey for airlines is the fact that depending on the person taking the survey, who they consider their "manager", their "leadership", etc. varies. For a given airport agent, they may look at their supevisors/leads, their CSMs, their Duty Managers, their Directors, etc. each differently so the generic questions about management become too broad for management/leadership to take back for true personal changes/development.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

par13del

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 pm

So let me get this right, AA workers who pushed for the legacy AA management to get the boot in favour of US Air management are now extolling the virtues of the legacy AA management, have they forgotten why they preferred US Air management?
If they can find virtue in the old legacy AA management maybe they can also find some in the new management, change was requested so try to embrace. I am only a pax who can only comment from the service side, unfortunately, that means that line staff get lumped in with the C suite decision makers since they are the implementors.

Airbuser

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:50 am

3rd survey in three years. Poor results the first year followed by even worse results last year (that’s all they said about last years results). We are frustrated and nothing changes. Any complaint falls on deaf ears. Not one manager gets fired. The executives are still here. Our performance goes further down the tubes. Why even put out a survey?

The beatings will continue until morale improves. I will not do the survey this year. Why bother?

n7371f

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 am

Not when you spend most of your time on the flying piece of poop.

MIflyer12 wrote:
Gary Leff is insufferably cynical. There are lots of ways to handle employee surveys, and selective dissemination of results is common.

Antarius

Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:32 am

winginit wrote:
flyaadc10 wrote:

This is like college football coaching - its a closed fraternity of people who pooh-pooh on people who question their BS by challenging them as "not being there" and "not understanding wats going on".

If so, they can enjoy the underperformance as a company and the likelihood of being the industry leader in speed-to-next-bankruptcy.

And the "we'll figure it out on our own" is comical given that several AA employees and their unions ushered in the DP era and the merger. Cutting of the nose to spite the face, but this is the bed you made.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

apodino

Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:10 am

One issue with this current version of the survey is that there is no option to free text comments. It’s just a bunch of multiple choice questions asking a few irrelevant questions, such as do you see yourself at American in 10 years even though most people on the front line are lifers because of seniority.

Without the ability to comment and just asking questions basically rating each statement on a scale, all management can be told from this survey is that they are not doing a good job. Everyone already seems to know this, but they keep doing the same things. And I need not mention what the definition of insanity is.

jetmatt777

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:56 am

Several years ago I coincidentally ran into a person from Glint outside of work, who does these employee surveys at UA, and possibly AA. He told me the algorithm pools together keywords from comments, as well as has "smart" filtering to specifically toss out any survey which they feel is from a disgruntled employee. Regarding the comments, it only looks for specific words and phrases that are commonly used across all submissions and ranks them, and they do not necessarily get read by anyone individually.

For example, if out of 15,000 surveys the top common phrases are "recognition", "respect", "valued" with low rankings in correlating scale-ratings they will assume the employees don't feel recognized, respected, or valued. They might not read your comment but just parse the phrases from it and see how common of a theme it is.

While it's interesting, I lost any respect for the process after that point. I was told if you are unhappy, you need to vote 2-4 (out of 10) and never vote a 0 or 1, as if you have more than two 0 or 1 ratings, it will cast your survey aside into the disgruntled pile.

slvrblt

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:47 am

par13del wrote:
So let me get this right, AA workers who pushed for the legacy AA management to get the boot in favour of US Air management are now extolling the virtues of the legacy AA management, have they forgotten why they preferred US Air management?
If they can find virtue in the old legacy AA management maybe they can also find some in the new management, change was requested so try to embrace. I am only a pax who can only comment from the service side, unfortunately, that means that line staff get lumped in with the C suite decision makers since they are the implementors.

You're pretty much correct, although it wasn't everyone. Specifically, it was the unions Parker went to, pleading his case to dump Tom Horton in favor of him, promising all kinds of things. Front line customer service, at the time, wasn't union so we didn't have a say and just got dragged into the USAir mess.

AEROFAN

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:53 am

mga707 wrote:

You need to go find a job in a new company. Such mistrust does not engender confidence in your company. I hope you don't work for an airline I have flown on.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos