Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

KLM CEO: betting on sustainable aviation

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:34 pm

KLM TOPMAN PIETER ELBERS: betting on sustainable aviation

AMSTERDAM - Aviation will change drastically in the coming century. According to KLM CEO Pieter Elbers, at the moment that KLM celebrates its 200th anniversary, people mainly travel via means of transport such as the Hyperloop. "If there is still flying, it is electric."

Elbers was keynote on Tuesday evening during the annual Economy lecture by weekly magazine Elsevier, which was held in De Rode Hoed in Amsterdam. During his speech, Elbers sketched chronologically the development of aviation from his own experience; from his parents' honeymoon to Jersey and his own first flight with Transavia to Turkey to the moment he joined KLM, where he was allowed to usher in the 100th anniversary year more than a month ago.

Aviation is in full swing, as evidenced by the various themes that Elbers touched on, such as the sustainable ambitions of KLM, the plans to relocate Schiphol to the sea and the cooperation with Air France.

Less emissions
Regarding sustainability, Elbers stated that the share of aviation in global air pollution is relatively small, but that the sector must do everything it can to reduce it. Next year the annual meeting of the IATA will be held in Amsterdam, and Elbers wants to put sustainability high on the agenda there.

“We too, as KLM, are becoming more sustainable by investing in fuel-efficient aircraft. To be able to do that, we must continue to make a profit and continue to grow at Schiphol. "

Not in the North Sea
Asked what he thinks about building an airport in the North Sea, as a measure to monitor the balance between the growth of and noise pollution, a cautious sigh appears because he has to explain again why a sea airport is a waste of money in his eyes. “I am very cautious about this type of investment that costs billions. I prefer to invest that money in more fuel-efficient aircraft, which saves a lot more emissions. With Schiphol at sea we solve a little noise, but not the CO2 emissions. Let's first use the available capacity at Lelystad before we go to the sea. Before Schiphol is realized at sea we are so many years further and so many billions poorer that there are already other solutions. ”

Elbers uses the stage in De Rode Hoed to make it clear to visitors that aviation is one of the most important pillars of the prosperity of the Netherlands. "KLM will therefore continue to pioneer when it comes to relevant bodies for travelers."

Happy with Air France
The merger with Air France remains a recurring theme, certainly when it comes to financial results. Elbers still emphasizes the necessity of that merger. “Anyone who does not consolidate in time has lost the game. Air France and KLM have six hundred planes together, Delta Air Lines has 1,200, Chinese airlines are over 2,000. The collaboration with Air France was a good move and brought KLM a lot. ”

Link in Dutch

Interesting speech. So he foresees the end of aviation as we know it. It is a shame that we don't already have moved Schiphol to the North Sea, it would have been finished by now if it was started in de mid-1990s. The Netherlands is small, too small to do everything within its borders. So hard choices need to be made.

So how do you see this speech?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

AirFiero

Re: KLM TOPMAN PIETER ELBERS: betting on sustainable aviation

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:34 pm

If KLM is a publically traded company, stockholders should sell NOW.

smartplane

Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:39 pm

Additional senior environmental / CORSIA-related ICAO appointments imminent. Perhaps a leading candidate. When does his KLM contract end?

RvA

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Not too surprising to say is it? In 100 years who knows what it will be like. Either way he won’t be here.

CDGIAD

Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:44 pm

I've read the article as far as my Dutch enabled me to.

On one hand he says building a new airport would cost billions and it shouldn't be done because it means more CO2, but on the other hand he says Hyperloop is the future, when it would be even more expensive to build and emit a lot of CO2 for its construction and operation too.
This after saying that people should fly less...

I'm not sure how good of a CEO he is for KLM, they may never turn 200 years old with such ideas. It's like having a vegan at the head of a meat company.

If he's so obsessed with CO2 it might be time to step down and become a yoga teacher or something.

Motorhussy

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:02 pm

CDGIAD wrote:

On one hand he says building a new airport would cost billions and it shouldn't be done because it means more CO2, but on the other hand he says Hyperloop is the future, when it would be even more expensive to build and emit a lot of CO2 for its construction and operation too.

I'm not sure how good of a CEO he is for KLM, they may never turn 200 years old with such ideas. It's like having a vegan at the head of a meat company.

If he's so obsessed with CO2 it might be time to step down and become a yoga teacher or something.

CO2 awareness and emissions mitigation is integral in the planning of any business that intends operating into the future. When the cost to the environment starts having to be borne by the business, only those who planned a carbon-zero future will survive. The airline industry is not immune from this eventuality

BTW, yoga is practiced by many successful executives, give it a try.
come visit the south pacific

IWMBH

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:19 pm

why all the negativity? The man just shared his vision on the future over the next 100 years. it is not like he is going to be around for that or that he is planning any short term decisions on it.

Beside that he tells journalists that KLM will be on the forefront in the battle against global warming by buying efficient planes in the future. And why wouldn’t you, planes who emit less CO2 are often also more fuel efficient and thus cheaper to operate.

The new Amsterdam airport in the North Sea is dead in the water and only alive in the minds of people that can’t come to terms with the current situation as it is in the Netherlands.

I think this is just a standard speech which is hardly worth mentioning, I think Luchtvaartnieuws is the only Dutch news source that even published it.

MartijnNL

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:33 pm

AirFiero wrote:

Why?

Revelation

Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49 pm

AirFiero wrote:

Meanwhile, in Venice...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

CeddP

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
It's like having a vegan at the head of a meat company.

And where would a vegan has the most impact? Alone at home, or at the head of a meat company?
It's not because we fly and burn massive amount of fuel for a living that we can't be aware of the challenge facing the industry. Then some bury their head in the sand, others try to do something about it...

Amsterdam

Re: KLM CEO: betting on sustainable aviation

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:10 pm

He just said what the media wants to hear
Wat he HAS to say these days
Nothing more, nothing less

AngMoh

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 pm

CDGIAD wrote:

What he says is that a new airport will cost Billions and the only problem it fixes is noise. He rather invests that in new aircraft which are more efficient (and make less noise). Overall that strategy he sees as more sustainable and more profitable.

While you can talk about hyperloop, it is a fact that in Europe high speed rail already has affected aviation significantly. Sticking your head in the sand is not an effective response to that.

CDGIAD wrote:

He talks about how to be most profitable when CO2 is going to be a big factor whether you like it or not. If you think this is not important, just have a look how big a mess the NOx discussion has created in the Netherlands because people sat on the problem for a while and did nothing. Now there are knee jerk last minute mitigatons to that issue which in my mind don't make sense.

If a vegan at the head of a meat company.makes the company more profitable, then they should hire the vegan.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

PanAm788

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:52 pm

I read his comments as mostly pandering to media types and ESG investors. That being said, if I was a shareholder I would prefer him to argue the case for aviation growth and it’s positive economic impact. But what do I know..

Aviation is only about 2% of global CO2 emissions yet it is integral to the world economy (and to developing nations that are rapidly lifting more and more people out of poverty). It’s not going anywhere any time soon.

keesje

Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

:checkmark:
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

MIflyer12

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:27 am

PanAm788 wrote:
I read his comments as mostly pandering to media types and ESG investors. That being said, if I was a shareholder I would prefer him to argue the case for aviation growth and it’s positive economic impact. But what do I know..

I guessed you missed this from Qantas a few days ago, too:

Qantas says it will slash its net carbon emissions to zero by 2050, becoming only the second airline group in the world to make the commitment.

Today’s Qantas announcement comes at a time of growing scrutiny of the airline industry’s carbon footprint and pressure on travellers to opt for more environmentally friendly modes of transport.

Qantas announced today it would achieve its 2050 target through fuel efficiency and the carbon offset schemes.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... dddba2721b

PanAm788

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:18 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
PanAm788 wrote:

I guessed you missed this from Qantas a few days ago, too:

Qantas says it will slash its net carbon emissions to zero by 2050, becoming only the second airline group in the world to make the commitment.

Today’s Qantas announcement comes at a time of growing scrutiny of the airline industry’s carbon footprint and pressure on travellers to opt for more environmentally friendly modes of transport.

Qantas announced today it would achieve its 2050 target through fuel efficiency and the carbon offset schemes.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-a ... dddba2721b

I did not see that. Same idea as the KLM CEO though. 2050 is a long ways away. “Carbon neutral” is pretty broad too and it doesn’t mean they won’t still fly planes burning jet fuel as they can do other things to “offset” their carbon emissions.

I may be cynical but I really think this is all about avoiding negative media coverage and avoiding getting on the bad side of ESG investors.

umichman

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 am

Who knows what the technology will be 100 years from now. Maybe it's electric, maybe it's algae based fuels, maybe it's something completely different. Why place your bet on one particularly technology? All I know is that electric based storage technologies will need to improve radically if it's going to be an electric flying future. It reminds me of people who were predicting 60-70 years ago that flying cars would be commonplace now.

CDGIAD

Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:38 am

Amsterdam wrote:

My comment about yoga and vegan was meant to be sarcastic.
My point is that his speech makes it sound like aviation is not the future.

But as the above poster wrote, Elbers just said what the media wanted to hear.
Clothing industry accounts for 8% of the CO2 emissions, yet no media urges anyone to stop buying new clothes.

afgeneral

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:57 am

all credibility flew out the window when he mentioned hyperloop

FlyRow

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 am

afgeneral wrote:

Then again they are going to build a full size test track in the near future, Hardt Hyperloop is one of the leading innovators in that business and they are centred in Delft. One of the talked option is a test track in Flevoland combining it with a new LEY-AMS link, the investment money is already there and secured.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

afgeneral

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 pm

FlyRow wrote:
afgeneral wrote:

Then again they are going to build a full size test track in the near future, Hardt Hyperloop is one of the leading innovators in that business and they are centred in Delft. One of the talked option is a test track in Flevoland combining it with a new LEY-AMS link, the investment money is already there and secured.

he's talking about hyperloop being a viable alternative to flying, not about some test track in Delft

Elementalism

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Hyperloop lol

Jetty

Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:22 pm

afgeneral wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
afgeneral wrote:

he's talking about hyperloop being a viable alternative to flying, not about some test track in Delft

Possibly in 100 years he said. Nothing wrong or incredible about that statement.

PanAm788 wrote:
I read his comments as mostly pandering to media types and ESG investors. That being said, if I was a shareholder I would prefer him to argue the case for aviation growth and it’s positive economic impact. But what do I know.

He did both actually. He wants AMS to grow so KL can make more profit to invest in the sustainable development of aviation. :lol: That argument requires some creative thinking but keeps everyone happy.

Some people seem lost about the political reality in The Netherlands and the background behind these statements. Many sectors had regulations imposed to reduce their carbon footprint while aviation and KL have had almost full governmental support, with billions being invested in AMS and it’s surrounding infrastructure and even the acquisition of shares of French company AFKL for 700 million euro. That doesn’t sit well with some environmentalists (of which The Netherlands has quite a few). AMS already has most international flight movements in the world yet wants to grow further and needs political support for this. A decision about that is made in the coming year and now Elbers makes statements like this. I’m not saying he isn’t genuine but it isn’t coincidental either.

Eikie

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Jetty wrote:
afgeneral wrote:
FlyRow wrote:

Possibly in 100 years he said. Nothing wrong or incredible about that statement.

PanAm788 wrote:
I read his comments as mostly pandering to media types and ESG investors. That being said, if I was a shareholder I would prefer him to argue the case for aviation growth and it’s positive economic impact. But what do I know.

He did both actually. He wants AMS to grow so KL can make more profit to invest in the sustainable development of aviation. :lol: That argument requires some creative thinking but keeps everyone happy.

Some people seem lost about the political reality in The Netherlands and the background behind these statements. Many sectors had regulations imposed to reduce their carbon footprint while aviation and KL have had almost full governmental support, with billions being invested in AMS and it’s surrounding infrastructure and even the acquisition of shares of French company AFKL for 700 million euro. That doesn’t sit well with some environmentalists (of which The Netherlands has quite a few). AMS already has most international flight movements in the world yet wants to grow further and needs political support for this. A decision about that is made in the coming year and now Elbers makes statements like this. I’m not saying he isn’t genuine but it isn’t coincidental either.

I think KLM sees that to make money, you have to be, or be thought of as, a green company (as much as possible within your field of work). Reducing CO2 is the rage, and they take active steps to stay number 1 in the sustainability index. They also recently went to Washington to meet with 3 senators to discuss "green" aviation and to explain the role they took in a synthetic fuel factory in the Netherlands.

So I think Elbers and KLM are real about reducing environmental impact, if not just to keep making money in a changing world.

JAMBOJET

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 pm

Didn’t KLM cut a Brussels frequency in the name of the environment, wait two weeks, then announce austin with the slot?

The timing may be off for that, but it felt that way. Seems like an odd way to help the environment.

speedbird52

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:30 am

I really don't understand why the aviation industry is such a target for the climate change discussion. Automobiles produce far more emissions every year. Public transport is by every metric a good thing for the environment. Unless we decide to go back to being isolationist societies that don't interact with each other, we will need airplanes for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Elementalism

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:47 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
I really don't understand why the aviation industry is such a target for the climate change discussion. Automobiles produce far more emissions every year. Public transport is by every metric a good thing for the environment. Unless we decide to go back to being isolationist societies that don't interact with each other, we will need airplanes for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Small market compared to cars. Easier to make into an economic class struggle. Rich fly, poor can't. I also think there is some isolationist ideals in that community as well. They view globalism\international trade as bad.

What I find funny is how out of touch a lot of these people are with reality. To think Hyperloop is going to

1. Replace flying is ridiculous
2. Is economically feasible is pathetic
3. Is technologically feasible is hilarious.
4. Is green. And by green I mean energy efficient. It will take a lot of energy to create a vacuum in a tube that stretches hundreds of miles.

Hyperloop is not even a new idea. It was proposed in the late 1800s early 1900s and failed because it wasnt a worthy technology.

Eikie

Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:20 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:
Didn’t KLM cut a Brussels frequency in the name of the environment, wait two weeks, then announce austin with the slot?

The timing may be off for that, but it felt that way. Seems like an odd way to help the environment.

You can't expect an airline to stop flying out of environment concerns, it is still a business with employees and shareholders.

It can however, make steps to "greenify" their business as much as (economically) possible.

To get from ams to bru the train is an alternative. To get to Austin it isn't.

And to be complete, KLM stops flying to Havana (in the summer) and uses that slot for the Austin flight. But they will use that brussels slot for another flight as well.

JAMBOJET

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Eikie wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

You can't expect an airline to stop flying out of environment concerns, it is still a business with employees and shareholders.

It can however, make steps to "greenify" their business as much as (economically) possible.

To get from ams to bru the train is an alternative. To get to Austin it isn't.

And to be complete, KLM stops flying to Havana (in the summer) and uses that slot for the Austin flight. But they will use that brussels slot for another flight as well.

I don’t have any problem with them flying anywhere. But acting green and suggesting people take the train while using the slot for a longer more polluting flight is just a bit over the top and a bit deceitful IMO.
But thanks for the heads up that aus is from hav directly!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos