Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

787SIN
Topic Author

GoAir Goes Ploughing at Bengaluru

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 am

News articles online today are indicating a GoAir A320 Neo departed the paved surface while attempting to land a few days ago in foggy conditions. Interesting thing is the left engine also allegedly stalled (GTF) when crew chose to take the aircraft back into the air. Pictures show the off roading was for a reasonable distance. Seems conditions didn’t improve and they diverted and landed safely elsewhere.

SQ22

Re: GoAir Goes Ploughing at Bengaluru

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 am

Can you provide a link to those articles please?

aldrigsomandre

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:14 am

SQ22

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:24 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:

Thanks.

P1aneMad

Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:

Has anyone actually understood what the news report means by...

The A320 jet had taken off from Nagpur on Monday with a reported 180 people on board and was scheduled to land in Bengaluru later the same day. However, on landing the plane began veering off the runway and onto the grass-covered strip of land on one side of the runway.

At this point the pilot increased engine speed and was, fortunately, able to take off. The plane then proceeded to Hyderabad, its diversionary airport, where it landed safely.

...cause I sure did not.

787SIN
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:01 am

Here’s it is on Aviation Safety Network

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/230676

smokeybandit

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:

The A320 jet had taken off from Nagpur on Monday with a reported 180 people on board and was scheduled to land in Bengaluru later the same day. However, on landing the plane began veering off the runway and onto the grass-covered strip of land on one side of the runway.

At this point the pilot increased engine speed and was, fortunately, able to take off. The plane then proceeded to Hyderabad, its diversionary airport, where it landed safely.

...cause I sure did not.

Sounds like they got their timelines mixed up.

Polot

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:40 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:

...cause I sure did not.

The plane basically did a touch and go at Bengaluru. Some of that “touch” involved grass and not just pavement though.

Took off from Nagpur->while landing in Bengaluru began veering off runway->aborted landing and went airborne again->diverted to Hyderabad.

Amiga500

Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:58 pm

787SIN wrote:
Interesting thing is the left engine also allegedly stalled (GTF) when crew chose to take the aircraft back into the air.

Where'd that come from?

Would be concerning if true.

Can't have engines surging when going TOGA!

Weatherwatcher1

Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Amiga500 wrote:
787SIN wrote:
Interesting thing is the left engine also allegedly stalled (GTF) when crew chose to take the aircraft back into the air.

Where'd that come from?

Would be concerning if true.

Can't have engines surging when going TOGA!

It would be interesting to see a photo of the engine. Did the engine strike the ground resulting in damage which led to it stalling, or was the engine producing irregular thrust on approach causing the airplane to yaw causing them to go off the runway?

Did the engine cause them to miss the runway or did missing the runway damage the engine? I’m sure the investigators will find out.

Dominion301

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm

There a pic of the gear on avherald: http://avherald.com/h?article=4cf40719&opt=0

zeke

Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:38 pm

BLR does not have an LVO approach, the ILS is CAT1 only. That aircraft should not have been near the ground without visual reference.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

inflightVideo

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:57 am

Video from onboard. Looks like it touched down on the grass briefly after engaging TOGA thrust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wj6hZenK00

aeropix

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:44 am

My guess is the pilots mistook the edge lights for the centerline lights. They would not be the first to do so. I was riding with my friend in Airport ops at LAX one day when China Airlines lined up on the edge lights in broad daylight and tried to take off. It sounds impossible to believe but these things do happen.

BawliBooch

Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Good to see Go Air catching up with SpiceJet. They must have been feeling left out in the runway overruns department.

Anyone knows if the pilot was a local or an expat?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

intelijet

Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:51 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
Good to see Go Air catching up with SpiceJet. They must have been feeling left out in the runway overruns department.

Anyone knows if the pilot was a local or an expat?

If you've had bothered to read the article: "The plane was flown by an expat pilot who has now been suspended"

zkojq

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:17 pm

inflightVideo wrote:
Video from onboard. Looks like it touched down on the grass briefly after engaging TOGA thrust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wj6hZenK00

Oh my - what a disaster. Airbus sure builds them A320neos tough.

aeropix wrote:
My guess is the pilots mistook the edge lights for the centerline lights. They would not be the first to do so. I was riding with my friend in Airport ops at LAX one day when China Airlines lined up on the edge lights in broad daylight and tried to take off. It sounds impossible to believe but these things do happen.

Same thing happened to a LAN A340 at AKL five years or so ago.
First to fly the 787-9

zeke

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:38 pm

aeropix wrote:

Looking at the video it is drifting, classic sign of the LOC being disturbed by another aircraft. Don’t see 550 m visibility.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Q

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Lucky it was not hitting the ILS antenna or radio box or taxiway if there was a plane on the taxiway.where the plane landed off course on its the path was all empty area. Thank God not happening. Crazy scenario!!

Q

Q

Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Center lights should redesign of all airports. Maybe dash bright then next dash dim lights then bright then dim just like visual is better to see it. All end edges lights should remain the same bright lights all the way. What do you think?

Q

edealinfo

Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Q wrote:
Center lights should redesign of all airports. Maybe dash bright then next dash dim lights then bright then dim just like visual is better to see it. All end edges lights should remain the same bright lights all the way. What do you think?

Q

Logical. I am surprised the airline experts didn’t think of it.