Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ziyulu

Re: Rumour: Singapore Airlines looking at another US ULR route - ORD, BOS or IAD?

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:41 am

If they use the 787, I hope it's not 3-3-3 seating.

FlyHPN

Re: Rumour: Singapore Airlines looking at another US ULR route - ORD, BOS or IAD?

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:56 am

eamondzhang wrote:
FlyHPN wrote:
[People often forget that SQ and UA aren't really "friends". A booking on SQ from just about any non-direct city will have you traveling on AS or B6 to make the connection, not UA. Similarly, UA will put their TPAC connections on JL, not SQ.

That being said, I still agree that ORD makes the most sense for O&D demand.

NH not JL, and that's more because UA and NH has a JV that also covers quite a few SEA routes as well (in addition to TPAC)

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction. Indeed it would be ANA that United prefers, not JAL.

babastud

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 am

I don't really see the demand from the cities like MIA, BOS, or even IAD. Maybe ORD or Toronto? Really demand to Singapore is from California and then NYC. The demand really starts to drop after that yes I know Sea and Vancouver have some, but it pails in comparison. If someone wants to make a connect coming from the East Coast, Singapore is not an ideal place for that. There are less expensive and better connects on already existing airlines serving Asia. Don't see this happening...

Planeboy17

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 am

kearnet wrote:
I’m gonna put my money on BOS after seeing what’s happened there in the last decade and more importantly WHY it happened: the trifecta of education, money, and tech, the icing being - large O&D Asian population.

Which Chicago all has.
clrd4t8koff wrote:
kearnet wrote:
I’m gonna put my money on BOS after seeing what’s happened there in the last decade and more importantly WHY it happened: the trifecta of education, money, and tech, the icing being - large O&D Asian population.

THIS +1.

BOS is one the top 10 largest financial centers in the world without SQ service. With all the trouble going on in HKG and the impressive loads CX have had out of BOS, now is the time for SQ to strike!

And Chicago.

Atlwarrior

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:49 am

x1234 wrote:
Remember the bread and butter of SQ is business/first class passengers which make the flight sustainable. I bet its probably USA instead of Canada as Canada is mostly VFR and not much business travel (same reason they chose SEA over YVR for Microsoft, Amazon, etc.). Chicago has the 2nd highest number of Fortune 500 companies in the USA after NYC plus UA/AA megahub's. BOS/IAD is a quick train/bus/flight ride away from EWR/JFK anyways. This is the same reason EVA from TPE and China Eastern from PVG, HU from PEK and CX from HKG chose ORD after NYC.

I thought Houston had the most 2nd most Fortune 500 companies after NYC.

Cunard

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 am

jfk777 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Miami for Singapore Air is for a later time, Singapore will eventually fly to Miami when they have filled in other US cities more important to them. Other Asian airlines are waiting to fly to MIA too, when the first one does arrive the second and third will come quickly. Korean, JAL, China Eastern, EVA and China Air are among those which could fly to Miami. Cathay could make it work but its got to be 18 hours from MIA to HKG. IT needs to be an airline from the eastern part of Asia at the western edge of the Pacific Ocean.

This has to stop. If a Far East Asian airline (JL, KE, MU, etc) wanted to fly to MIA they all have the planes to do it profitably. They all have either 789’s or A359’s and even hometown airline AA has both 788’s and 789’s and even they aren’t dumb enough to waste such a resource. MIA - Far East Asia is a long ways off. MIA doesn’t have the economy to profitably support it.

You say all these airlines " have planes that can do it profitably..." Then you say MiA " doesn't have the economy to profitably support it". SO which is it ?

I think it's quite self explanatory what was said, it's very obvious what was meant by the comments.

I honestly don't understand why you have to question it with your "SO which is it"!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

LAX772LR

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 am

jfk777 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
This has to stop. If a Far East Asian airline (JL, KE, MU, etc) wanted to fly to MIA they all have the planes to do it profitably. They all have either 789’s or A359’s and even hometown airline AA has both 788’s and 789’s and even they aren’t dumb enough to waste such a resource. MIA - Far East Asia is a long ways off. MIA doesn’t have the economy to profitably support it.

You say all these airlines " have planes that can do it profitably..." Then you say MiA " doesn't have the economy to profitably support it". SO which is it ?

The two statements are not contradictory.

He's saying that (1) there's plenty of planes that have the capability to fly a route of that distance and scope with profit-potential payloads, but (2) MIA as a market isn't going to generate those profits.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

sevenair

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am

bravotango75 wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
MIA?

Why...?

Why not...?

CHRISBA35X

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 am

x1234 wrote:
With the A350ULR can they make IAH non-stop from SIN!?

99% sure this is what they are doing, yes. Far higher chance than BOS, ORD or IAD.

klm617

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:41 am

jfk777 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Miami for Singapore Air is for a later time, Singapore will eventually fly to Miami when they have filled in other US cities more important to them. Other Asian airlines are waiting to fly to MIA too, when the first one does arrive the second and third will come quickly. Korean, JAL, China Eastern, EVA and China Air are among those which could fly to Miami. Cathay could make it work but its got to be 18 hours from MIA to HKG. IT needs to be an airline from the eastern part of Asia at the western edge of the Pacific Ocean.

It amuses me that all these Asian airlines are dumping seats in every major market Yet MIA can't get one flight to Asia. MIA is the largest Latin America hub in the country. A MIA Asia flight is long overdue. These airlines make money in the oversaturated markets of SEA, NYC, LAX, SFO, BOS and ORD but for some reason can't see the potential MIA has.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

drerx7

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:55 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Remember the bread and butter of SQ is business/first class passengers which make the flight sustainable. I bet its probably USA instead of Canada as Canada is mostly VFR and not much business travel (same reason they chose SEA over YVR for Microsoft, Amazon, etc.). Chicago has the 2nd highest number of Fortune 500 companies in the USA after NYC plus UA/AA megahub's. BOS/IAD is a quick train/bus/flight ride away from EWR/JFK anyways. This is the same reason EVA from TPE and China Eastern from PVG, HU from PEK and CX from HKG chose ORD after NYC.

Houston does have the 2nd largest # of Fortune 500 companies in the U.S. As well as the second largest number of foreign consulates. With regards to the SQ going nonstop...I doubt it, I think the MAN routing with the A350 is sufficient. I'd put my money on ORD...definitely not BOS or MIA any time soon.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

raylee67

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:06 pm

praunda wrote:
SQ tried ORD for a minute about 15 years ago—withdrew during the 2003 SARS outbreak and never came back—seems like the most likely choice to try now.

Yes they did. The flight was routed via AMS with 777-200ER. I think it's less than daily though.

At the same period, they also were flying SIN-HKG-LAS, which was also axed.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

N292UX

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I'm saying BOS

tphuang

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 pm

The problem for Mia getting an Asian flight is dfw. Dfw is just better located for South American connection traffic to Asia. Aa has stated several times in the past how well located dfw is.

LightChop2Chop

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm

They could do a n/s SIN-IAH a couple of days a week complementing the existing one stop. 3X SINIAH and 4XSINMANIAH

EMB170

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

SQ's 787-10s do have 3-3-3 seating. However, the 787-10 is not a long haul aircraft for them but rather their "regional aircraft" to handle missions of up to 6 hours flying (yes, I know that's long but by SQ's standards, it's 'regional') and to serve as an A333 replacement.

SQ's ULH routes to the US are on A359 aircraft or in the case of the one-stops out of JFK and IAH, B77W or A388.

Might SQ also be looking to make the second frequency at EWR permanent (i.e. SQ 23/24)?
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

cschleic

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:39 pm

jfk777 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

The "have planes that can do it..." comment probably is just that...a comment about equipment. Plenty of airlines have the plane that could do the route. And make money if there were enough traffic. So if Asian flights to MIA made economic sense, someone would have done it already.

Planeboy17

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm

drerx7 wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Houston does have the 2nd largest # of Fortune 500 companies in the U.S. As well as the second largest number of foreign consulates. With regards to the SQ going nonstop...I doubt it, I think the MAN routing with the A350 is sufficient. I'd put my money on ORD...definitely not BOS or MIA any time soon.

It’s not easy to find data on this but I found 2 separate sources that show the Chicago metropolitan area has more F 500 companies than Houston and is 2nd behind NY. The only article I could find that showed Houston ahead was from CNN Money article using 2010 data and using only the physical limitations of the city, not including the metropolitan area.
I apologize for not posting the data but I’m out and about, but I also know that Chicago has had the most corporate relocations than any other major city the last two years as well.

aemoreira1981

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:04 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
kearnet wrote:

THIS +1.

BOS is one the top 10 largest financial centers in the world without SQ service. With all the trouble going on in HKG and the impressive loads CX have had out of BOS, now is the time for SQ to strike!

I was thinking IAH first as a UA fortress hub, but that can’t be ignored now given that CX serves BOS daily and that’s not really a hub for any airline (DL and B6 being the largest carriers there). KE is upgauging from the B789 to the B77W and will be going daily in S20. However, SQ could do better by arriving in the afternoon then leaving in the evening. This could start 3 times weekly.

_AA_777_MAN

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:09 pm

drerx7 wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Houston is actually #4 behind Dallas with 21 Fortune 500 companies.

5. MSP----18
4. Houston-----21
3. DFW-------22
2. Chicago-------33
1. NYC----------65

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bu ... /38215229/

Pinto

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:32 pm

jfk777 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

I hope you aren't being serious. He means that they have an aircraft like a 787-9 that can fly PEK-MIA and do so profitably. Now just because the aircraft can make money operating the routes doesnt mean it will make money. If I sell a car to some one then I make money, but I still have to sell the car first. It is all about people buying seats. Besides O&D and Carribean connections I dont see what MIA would offer.

On the ORD topic dont forget UA used to fly ORD-SIN via HKG. So there had to be some market for them to offer that. They only stopped that when they started LAX-SIN

MIflyer12

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:20 pm

klm617 wrote:
It amuses me that all these Asian airlines are dumping seats in every major market Yet MIA can't get one flight to Asia. MIA is the largest Latin America hub in the country. A MIA Asia flight is long overdue. These airlines make money in the oversaturated markets of SEA, NYC, LAX, SFO, BOS and ORD but for some reason can't see the potential MIA has.

It just shows the people actually committing $Billions to buy widebodies think MIA is inferior to all those places you named.

If Asians want hot and sticky they don't need to fly 15 hours for it.

johhn14

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:41 pm

Number of Fortune 500 companies isn't a great measure.

As an example, GE is in the top 20 and headquartered in Boston...there is very little headcount in Boston.

For that matter, there are plenty of large Fortune 1000 or 2000 companies, or even private companies for that matter, that drive butts in seats.

ASA

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:53 pm

johhn14 wrote:
Number of Fortune 500 companies isn't a great measure.

As an example, GE is in the top 20 and headquartered in Boston...there is very little headcount in Boston.

Right. Same goes for Boeing ... moved HQs from Seattle to Chicago. But most of its operations are elsewhere ...

DfwRevolution

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:17 pm

User001 wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Could they axe the MAN-IAH route and do IAH non-stop?

Would IAH have the pax to stand on its own? Granted we don't know the yield, but most days the amount of pax making the full journey SIN-IAH barely get past 50?

The majority of pax are either SIN-MAN-SIN and MAN-IAH-MAN.

There's definitely demand for >50 passengers per day between SIN-IAH considering all carriers and routes. The route is heavy with oil & gas traffic. Presumably a non-stop would help SQ corner more of the market. But to be honest, the GC distance of 8,600 nm strikes me as too far even with today's ULH aircraft. You're talking another an hour of block time versus SIN-EWR. If it were 1,000 nm closer, I'd call the route a slam dunk. I'd say SQ is serving the market just fine with its one-stop routing.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

FrancisBegbie

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:25 pm

tphuang wrote:
The problem for Mia getting an Asian flight is dfw. Dfw is just better located for South American connection traffic to Asia. Aa has stated several times in the past how well located dfw is.

If you want to go to Asia from South America why would you transfer in the US, where you would have to go through immigration and security checks again? Chances are you are starting from a large SA city, which will offer far more comfortable connections through Europe and sometimes even with the ME3. Only thing going for MIA or DFW may be a denser network in South America, but you got to wonder about the demand to Asia from secondary cities.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:03 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Hysterical.

Singapore isn't coming anytime soon, but the largest unserved U.S.-Asia market certainly has the "economy" to support a flight.

When JAL or Korean or American or whoever it is announces Miami-Asia, it's going to make people such as yourself oddly furious. So weird.
a.

YYZORD

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Its either ORD or YYZ. IAD & BOS doesn't have enough traffic and both ORD and YYZ was served by SQ before. YVR can be used with a regular A359 and will be similar to SIN-SEA.

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore-ai ... lr-routes/

EADSYABSOB73857

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:16 pm

FrancisBegbie wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If you want to go to Asia from South America why would you transfer in the US, where you would have to go through immigration and security checks again? Chances are you are starting from a large SA city, which will offer far more comfortable connections through Europe and sometimes even with the ME3. Only thing going for MIA or DFW may be a denser network in South America, but you got to wonder about the demand to Asia from secondary cities.

I lived in South America, and if going to Singapore, I’d go the route of Australia to connect to Singapore before going US. However, I’d be interested to see the data on O&D between SA and SIN because I can’t imagine it’s anything spectacular..

clrd4t8koff

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Hysterical.

Singapore isn't coming anytime soon, but the largest unserved U.S.-Asia market certainly has the "economy" to support a flight.

When JAL or Korean or American or whoever it is announces Miami-Asia, it's going to make people such as yourself oddly furious. So weird.

No, it doesn’t. If it did MIA would have had non-stop flights to Asia. I know you love your beloved MIA and it’s the center of the universe, but wake up. Airlines are dropping MIA.

MCO is currently the largest unserved U.S. - Asia market. It will get a flight before MIA.

https://www.anna.aero/2019/03/06/100-ro ... p-service/

MIA is not even on any list.

bravotango75

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:54 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

Hysterical.

BOS is far more important than Miami will ever be.

ChrisNH38

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 am

The ascendency of BOS notwithstanding, I also agree that Logan will be last on this totem pole.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

aemoreira1981

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:27 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
tphuang wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

But the A350’s don’t have F and JFK is a premium heavy route for them where they can sell the majority of their F cabin.

I’ve also heard they have demand for just the JFK-FRA-JFK legs as well. I don’t expect to see them replace the A380 to JFK.

Those F demand are right now flying J out of EWR. This is based on my conversation with quite a few people flying NYC-SIN. Hard to see how JFK-FRA on A380 can compete with airlines with strong POS on both end.

But if that’s true and those who were flying F out of JFK and are now jumping over to J on the non-stop EWR-SIN then why is SQ keeping the A380 on JFK-FRA-SIN? SQ has their new 77w’s with the smaller 4 seat F cabin they could easily switch to.

I will say O&D to different markets. JFK-FRA on SQ relies on B6 feed but not LH feed, while EWR-SIN is largely O&D. In its prior iteration, it catered better to connections at SIN at the morning bank there; however, it's a red-eye to EWR now.

B752OS

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:09 am

We don't need a Boston vs. Miami fight in this thread. Miami will get non-stop service to East Asia eventually. Miami is not even mentioned as a potential flight - it's simply too far from Singapore and would easily be the longest flight in the world.

dtremit

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:31 am

klm617 wrote:

MIA is just about the longest route in the US from Asia -- 700 miles further from NRT than BOS, for an example. That makes a difference.

dtremit

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:35 am

ChrisNH38 wrote:
The ascendency of BOS notwithstanding, I also agree that Logan will be last on this totem pole.

I do wonder if -- given SQ's success with B6 feed at JFK -- we could someday see a nonstop on SIN-IAH, and the MAN fifth freedom route shifting to BOS?

adamh8297

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 am

dtremit wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

I do wonder if -- given SQ's success with B6 feed at JFK -- we could someday see a nonstop on SIN-IAH, and the MAN[threeid][/threeid] fifth freedom route shifting to BOS?

SIN-GVA-BOS would be better but GVA may be too small of a metro for SIN and ME3 are well entrenched there.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

x1234

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:19 am

I have heard rumours of CX starting HKG-YVR-MIA to connect with the AA mega-hub but its now delayed due to the protests in HK. I've also heard SQ is considering SIN-MAD-MIA or SIN-YVR-MIA or SIN-YYZ-MIA.

airzona11

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:01 am

ORD/IAH have their logical reasons. It is great to see the ULH flight proliferate. Where can they fill a high number of J seats a day if they are using A359 ULR... ORD/IAH is best guess.

Ziyulu wrote:

Well, their 7810s are not for ULH so don't worry, you won't have to endure.

YYZORD

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 am

It'll probably be SIN-YVR-MIA cause that way they can use the regular A359 fleet

x1234 wrote:
I have heard rumours of CX starting HKG-YVR-MIA to connect with the AA mega-hub but its now delayed due to the protests in HK. I've also heard SQ is considering SIN-MAD-MIA or SIN-YVR-MIA or SIN-YYZ-MIA.

longtin23

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:51 am

Even SQ would add an addition direct flight to JFK, the SIN-FRA-JFK won’t drop because F/CL passengers do enjoy themselves for 24hours of flight on the suite cabin taken care by the SQ crew. While the backward section of the plane are filled with SIN-FRA-SIN and FRA-JFK-FRA passengers. If they launch the SIN-JFK route, it would free up more space to serve the SIN-FRA and FRA-JFK vv traffic.

Do note that the ULR fleet only serves J and PEY, so I do not see YVR/YYZ happening. SQ tends to use those ULR flight to complement their fifth freedom routes, so very possible JFK or IAH. Perhaps like others say shift the MAN-IAH to MAN-BOS...

3AWM

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:18 am

The A359ULR in the config SQ use them is such a niche aircraft there can only be a handful of routes it is the optimum choice for. It has more J seats than any other frame they operate other than the A380.

As such I find it hard to see how they could open any completely new route with the ULR as the destination would have to have a considerable amount of premium demand. SQ seems to like to serve these types of destinations as a one-stop (already). Therefore would expect any new route to one already served with a stop. I don't think it would be IAH as this route isn't thick enough.

My bet would be JFK as they are already operating an A380 there through FRA. Some pax would pay a premium for direct and likely SQ could just find more passengers to fly the 2 legs as a stand-alone. The fact that this is an A380 route says there is no capacity to upgauge beyond the current equipment.

I don't think operating to a United hub is actually that important, I think any route will be really about paying a premium price for a direct connection. I don't think they will be looking for connections on the US end, these are in any event available at all of the other locations they fly direct to such that they allow 1 stop connections to the main US destinations.

airbazar

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:29 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:

Besides the B6 feed, one other thing playing in favor of SQ is UA's complete lack of interest in BOS.
One might forgive UA for not wanting to fly long haul from BOS but I am convinced that they are also bullying other *A carriers with whom they have a partnership (ahem, ANA), from starting service from BOS and thus forcing feed thru SFO and ORD. SQ as a *A carrier could take a bite out of this feed.
aemoreira1981 wrote:
I will say O&D to different markets. JFK-FRA on SQ relies on B6 feed but not LH feed, while EWR-SIN is largely O&D. In its prior iteration, it catered better to connections at SIN at the morning bank there; however, it's a red-eye to EWR now.

SQ has been flying the SIN-FRA-JFK route long before B6 even existed. When SQ launched the "original" SIN-EWR route lots of people here were predicting that SQ would down gauge the JFK route to a 77W or even terminate the route. It never happened and in fact those same people were surprised when SQ replaced the 744 with an A380. SQ has a ton of code-sharing with LH on the FRA side but their early departure from FRA doesn't allow for connections. If SQ were having trouble filling the A380 on this route all they would have to do is move the departure time an hour later and they would have lots of connections in both directions. But they haven't done that which tells me the flight does really well. The same plane 1-stop if more favorable towards Y passengers, IMO. Their fares are also very competitive on this route vs. everyone else whereas the EWR flight is significantly more expensive. when you take both NYC flights combined I suspect SQ is very satisfied with the performance.
In addition, despite the lack of code-sharing on the JFK-FRA route, SQ provides an additional frequency for *A premium passengers. Notice how LH and SQ's flights a conveniently scheduled ~2 hours apart. Bottom line is I don't see the JFK/FRA route going anywhere to make way for a non-stop. If they want additional capacity for the non-stop EWR flight, in a couple of years they will have the option to upgauge it to an A350-1000ULR :)

Planeboy17

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:53 pm

airbazar wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

Besides the B6 feed, one other thing playing in favor of SQ is UA's complete lack of interest in BOS.
One might forgive UA for not wanting to fly long haul from BOS but I am convinced that they are also bullying other *A carriers with whom they have a partnership (ahem, ANA), from starting service from BOS and thus forcing feed thru SFO and ORD. SQ as a *A carrier could take a bite out of this feed.
I dont not think your theory holds up very well since LH and LX have major BOS ops and in the last few years SAS and soon OS will begin service. I can’t imagine a scenario where ANA wanted to jump on BOS and UA muscled them out of that decision. I think JAL has just been a bit more proactive with new routes such as BOA and SAN. Just my humble opinion though.

3AWM

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 pm

airbazar wrote:
SQ has been flying the SIN-FRA-JFK route long before B6 even existed. When SQ launched the "original" SIN-EWR route lots of people here were predicting that SQ would down gauge the JFK route to a 77W or even terminate the route. It never happened and in fact those same people were surprised when SQ replaced the 744 with an A380. SQ has a ton of code-sharing with LH on the FRA side but their early departure from FRA doesn't allow for connections. If SQ were having trouble filling the A380 on this route all they would have to do is move the departure time an hour later and they would have lots of connections in both directions. But they haven't done that which tells me the flight does really well. The same plane 1-stop if more favorable towards Y passengers, IMO. Their fares are also very competitive on this route vs. everyone else whereas the EWR flight is significantly more expensive. when you take both NYC flights combined I suspect SQ is very satisfied with the performance.
In addition, despite the lack of code-sharing on the JFK-FRA route, SQ provides an additional frequency for *A premium passengers. Notice how LH and SQ's flights a conveniently scheduled ~2 hours apart. Bottom line is I don't see the JFK/FRA route going anywhere to make way for a non-stop. If they want additional capacity for the non-stop EWR flight, in a couple of years they will have the option to upgauge it to an A350-1000ULR :)

I don't think they would drop the A380 FRA service I think they would just add the ULR service and sell those seats at a premium. As you say, both flights probably do well. The connections at FRA are really for the SIN-FRA leg and they are numerous. I think this leg would work fine without the tag. The JFK leg probably does OK too, it has connections to B6. I'm sure flying with SQ has got some appeal over flying the same route with LH or UA. For FRA-JFK they could probably dump some cheap fares on that route as it's outside of their home market.

PacoMartin

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

x1234 wrote:

I doubt it. That is an additional 400 miles. I would be shocked if it is not ORD.

Great circle from Singapore to all seven United hubs
SIN SFO 8,446 mi
SIN LAX 8,770 mi
SIN DEN 9,069 mi
SIN ORD 9,357 mi
SIN EWR 9,534 mi
SIN IAD 9,655 mi
SIN IAH 9,930 mi
----------------------
SIN BOS 9,405 mi Boston is NOT a UA hub, it is their busiest non-hub city

LAX772LR

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I doubt it. That is an additional 400 miles.

Advertised range of the A359ULR in a premium configuration is 9700nm, which is sufficient to do the 8629nm SIN-IAH, with about a 12% margin for winds/weather/etc. That's cutting it close, but doable.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

airbazar

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:35 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I doubt it. That is an additional 400 miles. I would be shocked if it is not ORD.

Great circle from Singapore to all seven United hubs
SIN SFO 8,446 mi
SIN LAX 8,770 mi
SIN DEN 9,069 mi
SIN ORD 9,357 mi
SIN EWR 9,534 mi
SIN IAD 9,655 mi
SIN IAH 9,930 mi
----------------------
SIN BOS 9,405 mi Boston is NOT a UA hub, it is their busiest non-hub city

GC path is irrelevant here. It's all about the winds which impact the route. SIN-IAH would actually be shorter than SIN-EWR. A lot shorter, like 2 hours shorter.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA ... /WSSS/KEWR
IAH-SIN is where there would be a problem.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA ... /KEWR/WSSS
The flight would follow a route identical to the current IAH-MAN-SIN, which is waaay too long for this plane. And going West over the Pacific it's just as long plus the headwinds.

SIN-IAH would be no problem. It's a mere

xorrygva

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

adamh8297 wrote:
dtremit wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:

I do wonder if -- given SQ's success with B6 feed at JFK -- we could someday see a nonstop on SIN-IAH, and the MAN[threeid][/threeid] fifth freedom route shifting to BOS?

SIN-GVA-BOS would be better but GVA may be too small of a metro for SIN and ME3 are well entrenched there.

That would actually work very well IMO. According to this article https://www.anna.aero/2019/03/06/100-routes-asias-top-10-airports-non-stop-service/, GVA is the 6th largest unserved market from SIN and 1st in Europe. Combined with BOS, I am pretty sure that a B773 or A359 could have decent loads and yields on a daily basis.

3AWM

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:20 am

SIN-GVA-BOS may be a viable route but they aren't going to serve it with the ULR as a regular A350-900 could do it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos