Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

clrd4t8koff

Re: Rumour: Singapore Airlines looking at another US ULR route - ORD, BOS or IAD?

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 pm

airbazar wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Why not? That's essentially what they do in LAX, with NRT instead of FRA.

SQ is only 2x to LAX. One is non-stop and the other is via NRT, no?

Yup, they cut ICN-LAX last year. But NYC-SIN is a larger market than LAX-SIN so wouldn't that alone justify a second non-stop?

It is a larger market, but it's not large enough to support a 3rd daily SQ flight in my opinion with the CN3 plus the plethora of other Asian carriers at JFK & EWR. If they add JFK non-stop I don't see the point of the JFK-FRA-SIN flight.

clrd4t8koff

Re: Rumour: Singapore Airlines looking at another US ULR route - ORD, BOS or IAD?

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 pm

dcaviation wrote:
hohd wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
I agree that ORD makes the most sense. The UA connections would help sustain the flights.

SQ and UA do not code share or offer flights on each other's networks and they do not cooperate with each other. Even AA may cooperate with SQ before UA does. So Star hubs mean nothing to SQ. In fact B6 or AS hubs might be better for connections. ORD is generally weak on Asian flights lately so I doubt it is ORD. Could be JFK or BOS or IAD.

You are absolutely wrong. Taken from Singapore's own web site. They have started codesharing back in 2016.
Singapore codeshares with United.

Codeshare destinations with United Airlines

Routes
Houston ↔ Atlanta
Houston ↔ Austin
Houston ↔ Dallas
Houston ↔ Fort Lauderdale
Houston ↔ Miami
Houston ↔ New Orleans
Houston ↔ Orlando
Houston ↔ Tampa

and here is another source
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2016/

So is IAH the only airport they codeshare out of? Not LAX, SFO or EWR??

clrd4t8koff

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 pm

NorthwestB744 wrote:
ORD. I don't feel like Boston is big enough. IAD maybe.

SQ and UA don't codeshare out of ORD, LAX, SFO or IAD. While O&D out of ORD-SIN is larger than BOS-SIN, BOS would at least benefit from SQ's close partnership with B6. BOS would get traffic from IAD, DCA, BWI, PHL, CLE, DTW, CHS, CLT, and on and on. I wouldn't be surprised to see SQ add BOS to funnel connections through BOS and focus on JFK-FRA-SIN & EWR-SIN as O&D primarily.

strfyr51

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 pm

x1234 wrote:
With the A350ULR can they make IAH non-stop from SIN!?

they could in fact with the ULR right Today!!

blooc350

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:31 pm

All I can tell you guys is its neither of these 3 cities..........thats all

YYZORD

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Its YYZ then!

blooc350 wrote:

setho212

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:31 pm

blooc350 wrote:

If you can't tell us the city can you at least give us an idea when the announcement will be made?

ZK-NBT

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:59 am

blooc350 wrote:

Which 3? NYC, LAX, IAH?
YYZORD wrote:
Its YYZ then!

blooc350 wrote:

YYZORD wrote:
Its YYZ then!

blooc350 wrote:

I doubt YYZ, that’s a lot of premium seats.

AVENSAB727

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:21 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
blooc350 wrote:

Which 3? NYC, LAX, IAH?
YYZORD wrote:
Its YYZ then!

blooc350 wrote:

YYZORD wrote:
Its YYZ then!

blooc350 wrote:

I doubt YYZ, that’s a lot of premium seats.

I think he meant ORD, BOS or IAD. My guesses are either YYZ or IAH.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

LAX772LR

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:26 am

airbazar wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
SQ is only 2x to LAX. One is non-stop and the other is via NRT, no?

Yup, they cut ICN-LAX last year.

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

SQ is 3x from LAX during the high season, and 17x weekly during the low.

SQ35/36 morning nonstop A359ULR
SQ37/38 evening nonstop A359ULR
SQ11/12 1stop 77W via NRT
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

YYZORD

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:16 am

I'm surprised YYZ is more of a front runner than YVR, maybe the SEA route affects YVR pax?

SQ32

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:54 am

IAH - SIN east bound is about 19.5 hours worst case -- calculation base on extrapolating SFO-SIN flight path and flight time. A359ULR is a 19.6 hour bird, duducting 5t of reserve fuel. A 2012 report stated 2 way pax per year as below. SIN IAH is speculated to be quite premium. Singapore market alone can support 3 ULR flights a week.

- Houston:
Singapore, Singapore: 36,974
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 13,388
Jakarta, Indonesia: 12,237
Perth, Australia: 11,819

nname

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 am

YYZORD wrote:
I'm surprised YYZ is more of a front runner than YVR, maybe the SEA route affects YVR pax?

Because YVR is not in the US, and SIN-YVR is also not an ULR route (can be done with regular A350)

SQ32

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 am

This was data published 2012.

Washington DC-Baltimore Region
Singapore, Singapore: 19,505
Jakarta, Indonesia: 12,228

Chicago
Singapore, Singapore: 23,592

Boston:
Singapore, Singapore: 16,421

Houston:
Singapore, Singapore: 36,974
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 13,388
Jakarta, Indonesia: 12,237
Perth, Australia: 11,819

Seattle:
Singapore, Singapore: 16,449
Jakarta, Indonesia: 12,950

Los Angeles:
Singapore, Singapore: 104,052
Jakarta, Indonesia: 67,029
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 37,913
Perth, Australia: 35,235

San Francisco Bay Area:
Singapore, Singapore: 93,592
Jakarta, Indonesia: 32,333
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 15,527

New York:
Singapore, Singapore: 112,608
Jakarta, Indonesia: 36,971
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 26,314

tphuang

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 pm

The NYC to Singapore demand is only going up now that more companies are moving their apac office from Hong Kong to Singapore. There is a lot of paid business demand here.

The loser from this will be Cathay who has always captured a huge chunk of the NYC to Singapore market. I know very few people that preferred going sq via Frankfurt over cx via Hong Kong.

airbazar

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:48 pm

SQ32 wrote:
IAH - SIN east bound is about 19.5 hours worst case -- calculation base on extrapolating SFO-SIN flight path and flight time.

I think your math if off. SFO-SIN is consistently at or over 17 hours. IAH-SFO is at least 4 hours. Put those 2 together and we have a minimum of 21 hours, not 19.5 and we haven't even gotten to the worse of the Winter jetstream.
IAH-SIN as a TATL route would likely be just as fast due to having a strong tail wind all the way to SIN. Tha is why EWR-SIN goes over he Atlantic.
Either option is just too long for this plane so IAH non-stop is a non-starter.
tphuang wrote:
The NYC to Singapore demand is only going up now that more companies are moving their apac office from Hong Kong to Singapore. There is a lot of paid business demand here.

Very good point. I didn't even think of that. That makes the case even stronger for a second NYC non-stop.

YYZORD

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:53 pm

nname wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Because YVR is not in the US, and SIN-YVR is also not an ULR route (can be done with regular A350)

And YYZ is in the US???

LAX772LR

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

airbazar wrote:
SQ32 wrote:
IAH - SIN east bound is about 19.5 hours worst case -- calculation base on extrapolating SFO-SIN flight path and flight time.

I think your math if off. SFO-SIN is consistently at or over 17 hours. IAH-SFO is at least 4 hours. Put those 2 together and we have a minimum of 21 hours, not 19.5

It doesn't work that way:
You can't just tack on two individual segments and think their combined time would be the equivalent airtime of a nonstop.

For one thing, a nonstop SIN-IAH is 151mi shorter distance than SIN-SFO-IAH, if following the Great Circle.
And if it indeed followed the G.C., then SIN-IAH would track noticeably higher north than SIN-SFO-IAH.

But of course it wouldn't simply go that set route:
SQ would put significant diligence into modeling optimal tracks/altitudes/etc to take advantage of favorable winds, air masses, temps, densities, etc etc.

So yes, it's quite feasible that an eastbound/northbound nonstop to Texas would only be 2hrs or so longer than a nonstop to California.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

nname

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 am

YYZORD wrote:
nname wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

And YYZ is in the US???

Well, the thread title says "another US ULR route", so I don't know why there's this talk about YYZ and YVR......

jerseyewr777

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:39 am

Didn't SQ mention not to long ago they wanted to drop fifth freedom routes? JFK is the winner then for the new nonstop!!

YYZORD

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:18 pm

nname wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
nname wrote:

And YYZ is in the US???

Well, the thread title says "another US ULR route", so I don't know why there's this talk about YYZ and YVR......

Well when some asian airlines mention US routes, they mean North America routes. Also YVR and YYZ serves not only the Canadian market but also the American market too thanks to US Preclearance.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:22 pm

YYZORD wrote:
nname wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

And YYZ is in the US???

Well when some asian airlines mention US routes, they mean North America routes. Also YVR and YYZ serves not only the Canadian market but also the American market too thanks to US Preclearance.

You can’t honestly say YYZ, YVR, YUL, etc serve the American market because of preclearance. Is it convenient to have preclearance in Canada - sure. But it doesn’t save any time landing in YYZ and then going through US customs, only to have to endure another flight....or land in the US and just go through clearance at your final destination. That’s wayyyy less stressful.

SQ32

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 am

Very high chance JFK. SQ22 SQ21 J seats are over-subscripted and PEY glut remain, but nevertheless J seats revenue alone should already be quite profitable. Another 7x flight per week per direction to NYC will work when SQ downgrade SIN-FRA-JFK to 777W.

airbazar

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:57 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
airbazar wrote:
SQ32 wrote:

I think your math if off. SFO-SIN is consistently at or over 17 hours. IAH-SFO is at least 4 hours. Put those 2 together and we have a minimum of 21 hours, not 19.5

You can't just tack on two individual segments and think their combined time would be the equivalent airtime of a nonstop.

For one thing, a nonstop SIN-IAH is 151mi shorter distance than SIN-SFO-IAH, if following the Great Circle.
And if it indeed followed the G.C., then SIN-IAH would track noticeably higher north than SIN-SFO-IAH.

SQ would put significant diligence into modeling optimal tracks/altitudes/etc to take advantage of favorable winds, air masses, temps, densities, etc etc.

So yes, it's quite feasible that an eastbound/northbound nonstop to Texas would only be 2hrs or so longer than a nonstop to California.

2 things that you missed. One, I'm talking about IAH-SIN and not SIN-IAH. And second, in those 21 hours I didn't factor in time descending and ascending.. Bottom line is IAH-SIN is no less than 21 hours flying time whether you go TPAC or TATL.
SIN-IAH would actually be less flying time than SIN-EWR, so it's easily doable,

PolarRoute

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:52 pm

airbazar wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
airbazar wrote:

2 things that you missed. One, I'm talking about IAH-SIN and not SIN-IAH. And second, in those 21 hours I didn't factor in time descending and ascending.. Bottom line is IAH-SIN is no less than 21 hours flying time whether you go TPAC or TATL.

No, what you actually did is you factored in time descending and ascending TWICE for one flight. That's what putting two flights together means.
And I'm not quite seeing why you would say the duration for IAH-SIN doesn't change no matter the direction. Its GC distance is just shy of 10,000mi and that's practically equivalent to SYD-JFK. At those distances, you can choose whichever direction with the most favorable wind and it will outpace the actual travel distance.
It is, if ever came to fruition, gonna be a long flight yes, but you overshot it with that 21 hrs.

airbazar

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:40 pm

PolarRoute wrote:
airbazar wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

No, what you actually did is you factored in time descending and ascending TWICE for one flight. That's what putting two flights together means.

But I did not do that. 4.5 hours IAH-SFO + 17.5 hrs SFO-SIN would have come up to 22 hours if I had done that, not 21.
Where I did make a mistake was in including taxi time. So while it might not be 21 hours aloft save for the days with the strongest winds it sure will be gate to gate on just about every day.

PolarRoute wrote:
And I'm not quite seeing why you would say the duration for IAH-SIN doesn't change no matter the direction. Its GC distance is just shy of 10,000mi and that's practically equivalent to SYD-JFK. At those distances, you can choose whichever direction with the most favorable wind and it will outpace the actual travel distance.
It is, if ever came to fruition, gonna be a long flight yes, but you overshot it with that 21 hrs.

Humm isn't that what I said?
I'm not sure what you are arguing. SIN-IAH would be entirely doable because of a tail wind all the way over the Pacific.
IAH-SIN as a TPAC would be a good ~21 hour flight on some days.
IAH-SIN as a TATL would be about the same (~21 hrs), despite being a much longer route distance wise, because of tail winds.
So it would be up to the day's flight planning to decide which way to go. Longer distance but faster sped or sorter distance but slower speed.

PolarRoute

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:40 am

airbazar wrote:
But I did not do that. 4.5 hours IAH-SFO + 17.5 hrs SFO-SIN would have come up to 22 hours if I had done that, not 21.
Where I did make a mistake was in including taxi time. So while it might not be 21 hours aloft save for the days with the strongest winds it sure will be gate to gate on just about every day.

Okay. Maybe you were talking block time and I was thinking flight duration? Let's find out... :scratchchin:

airbazar wrote:
Humm isn't that what I said?
I'm not sure what you are arguing. SIN-IAH would be entirely doable because of a tail wind all the way over the Pacific.
IAH-SIN as a TPAC would be a good ~21 hour flight on some days.
IAH-SIN as a TATL would be about the same (~21 hrs), despite being a much longer route distance wise, because of tail winds.
So it would be up to the day's flight planning to decide which way to go. Longer distance but faster sped or sorter distance but slower speed.

What you did say was though, is that 'IAH-SIN is no less than 21 hrs flying time'...

airbazar wrote:
Bottom line is IAH-SIN is no less than 21 hours flying time whether you go TPAC or TATL.

So yeah, there's what I'm arguing about. It indeed is gonna be less than 21 hrs 'flying time'.

ITSTours

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:52 am

JFK-SYD took about 19 hours, and its distance is slightly longer.
Why would IAH-SIN take 2 hours longer?

setho212

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:53 am

So despite the rumors there was no news last week. What are the chances we hear something this week.

airbazar

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm

ITSTours wrote:
JFK-SYD took about 19 hours, and its distance is slightly longer.
Why would IAH-SIN take 2 hours longer?

Geography.
JFK-SYD didn;'t have to deal with northern Pacific head winds that add at least 2 hours. Don't believe me? SFO-SIN is 2 hours longer than SIN-SFO.
Both SIN and IAH are in the northern hemisphere. There's no getting away from the fact that a Westbound flight will take a good 20-21 hours.

TSA125

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:01 am

So was there not much to this rumor then?
No not that TSA.

YYZORD

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 am

My Prediction: JFK on the A359ULR along with YVR on the regular A359. These are the only two routes I see viable for SQ's future on North America as YYZ and ORD cannot support that many premium economy seats...

Pbb152

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:01 am

airbazar wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I just ran a flight plan using today's winds from IAH to SIN at M84. Time enroute was 19+11 and optimized route was westbound via northern Alaska, Russia and south through Mongolia, China and Vietnam. I also ran one using June historic winds and time enroute was 18+30. Also westbound but more southerly right over top of Anchorage, Petropavlovsk, and via Japan, Taiwan, Philippines and Vietnam territorial waters.

setho212

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:06 am

TSA125 wrote:
So was there not much to this rumor then?

Who knows!! SQ seems to be announcing a few equipment changes lately (flights with new suites going to London and Auckland), so maybe there are more announcements coming! I'm really anxious though.

setho212

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:58 pm

I really wish SQ would announce something already. I’m looking to book an award for January 2021 next month and I’d like to know if suites or first class will even be available. I’d hate to transfer a bunch of Amex points only to find out I will be getting a lesser product than I originally booked!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos