Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbazar

Re: Rumour: Singapore Airlines looking at another US ULR route - ORD, BOS or IAD?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 pm

SQ has wanted to serve BOS via Europe for a long time (or did want in the past). That they haven't done it it tells me that either they can't get the rights on the European side, or they wanted to do it via LHR but couldn't make the slots work. For now they code-share with VS on both of their BOS-LHR flights. In fact if you try to book BOS-SIN, what you get for the top 3 options is BOS-LHR-SIN with VS/SQ.

hohd

Re: Rumour: Singapore Airlines looking at another US ULR route - ORD, BOS or IAD?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
I agree that ORD makes the most sense. The UA connections would help sustain the flights.

SQ and UA do not code share or offer flights on each other's networks and they do not cooperate with each other. Even AA may cooperate with SQ before UA does. So Star hubs mean nothing to SQ. In fact B6 or AS hubs might be better for connections. ORD is generally weak on Asian flights lately so I doubt it is ORD. Could be JFK or BOS or IAD.

Polot

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:33 pm

hohd wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
I agree that ORD makes the most sense. The UA connections would help sustain the flights.

SQ and UA do not code share or offer flights on each other's networks and they do not cooperate with each other. Even AA may cooperate with SQ before UA does. So Star hubs mean nothing to SQ. In fact B6 or AS hubs might be better for connections. ORD is generally weak on Asian flights lately so I doubt it is ORD. Could be JFK or BOS or IAD.

That is no longer the case starting a few years ago. SQ codeshares with UA on some flights from IAH. I’m not sure if UA places their codes on any SQ flights from SIN.

3AWM

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:23 pm

For me JFK makes most sense.

Assuming the existing route fills an A380, if all of the JFK passengers instead got the direct flight there would still be approaching 70% LF on the A380 route.

Plus the short fall could be made up by selling flights over 3 markets not one (SIN-FRA, SIN-JFK, FRA-JFK).

When you consider connections it's even better. FRA is SQ's main connecting point for Europe so there are plenty of 1 stops that can be sold. It also creates a lot of one stop options at JFK onto B6 as noted.

UA only codeshare on IAH flights with SQ.

Details of all of SQ's codeshares are here https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/gb/t ... partners/#

Polot

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 pm

3AWM wrote:
For me JFK makes most sense.

Assuming the existing route fills an A380, if all of the JFK passengers instead got the direct flight there would still be approaching 70% LF on the A380 route.

Plus the short fall could be made up by selling flights over 3 markets not one (SIN-FRA, SIN-JFK, FRA-JFK).

When you consider connections it's even better. FRA is SQ's main connecting point for Europe so there are plenty of 1 stops that can be sold. It also creates a lot of one stop options at JFK onto B6 as noted.

UA only codeshare on IAH flights with SQ.

Details of all of SQ's codeshares are here https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/gb/t ... partners/#

I don’t see JFK happening because they are already flying nonstop to EWR. When flying NYC-SIN nonstop the difference between traveling to EWR or JFK is negligible.

WorldFlier

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:02 pm

SASViking wrote:
ORD and IAD would make the most sense. They both offer a lot of connections via UA and they both also have a relatively high amount of business travellers

UA and Singapore don't play well. Based on my searches for flights...

NZ321

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:17 pm

My pick is SQ pick up fair traffic between FRA and JFK. And they ship the volume and discounted premium along with it. Not expecting non-stop JFK at this juncture. I'd say, YYZ or ORD have to be on the cards. BOS runner up. But YYZ is not a US route and a number of airlines have pulled back from ORD lately. Love to see MIA but not expecting another one-stop. The international transit experience at ORD in the afternoon is pretty awful. Are there slots? Will be interesting to see what unfolds. It's a mystery to me that SQ continue to focus on US but no service to Canada. YYZ has to be screaming for service. What about IAD?

3AWM

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:47 pm

Polot wrote:
I don’t see JFK happening because they are already flying nonstop to EWR. When flying NYC-SIN nonstop the difference between traveling to EWR or JFK is negligible.

It's not like they don't fly to JFK already, in fact they have 3 times as many seats to JFK as EWR.

It's more about how the increased seats can be spread. If they added a daily to EWR they are adding 150 seats, doubling capacity. If they add to JFK the extra 150 seats are spread over 3 routes, SIN-FRA, SIN-JFK, FRA-SIN.

Also JFK has the codeshare connections but EWR does not.

airbazar

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:02 pm

Polot wrote:
hohd wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

That is no longer the case starting a few years ago. SQ codeshares with UA on some flights from IAH. I’m not sure if UA places their codes on any SQ flights from SIN.

It is true that the codesharing between SQ and UA is too small to be relevant but that doesn't mean that they don't sell eachother's flights on mixed itineraries. There's a huge misconception on a.net that if 2 airlines are not codesharing they must no be cooperating with eachother. That couldn't be further from the truth.
If you go on united.com and try to book EWR-SIN, some of the options that pop-up have combined UA/SQ legs, like this one:

New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR) to Tokyo, JP (NRT)
11:00 am - 3:00 pm (14h)
UA 79 | Boeing 777-300ER
Long layover
Depart EWR: Wed, Jan 8
Arrive NRT: Thu, Jan 9
5h 25m connection
Tokyo, JP (NRT) to Singapore, SG (SIN)
8:25 pm - 3:05 am (7h 40m)
SQ 11 | Boeing 777-300ER
Operated By Singapore Airlines

timberwolf24

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 pm

I’ve heard a rumor an announcement may come this week.

Planeboy17

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:29 pm

hohd wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

Sc then why would IAD be better than ORD?

YYZORD

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Honestly I think when they say US route, they sometimes mean North America continent like BR puts Canadian Destinations listed in America destinations on their website. Tbh I'd say its YYZ or ORD for long haul but YVR also with a regular A359 is possible too!

TSA125

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 pm

LightChop2Chop wrote:
They could do a n/s SIN-IAH a couple of days a week complementing the existing one stop. 3X SINIAH and 4XSINMANIAH

Has such an arrangement occurred in the past? Anyone know? Seems rather efficient to me.

ASA

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 am

TSA125 wrote:
Has such an arrangement occurred in the past? Anyone know? Seems rather efficient to me.

SIN-IAH is longer than SIN-EWR by about 400 miles ... seems unlikely ... is IAH really the Mecca of oil industry these days?

I'll hold my speculation for a few more days - hoping there is really an announcement later this week! :crossfingers:

LAXintl

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:30 am

If it matters, SIA provided some insight about its North America operation at its recent earnings call.

o Passenger demand strong - "premium demand flourished on U.S. routes, including the four ultra-longhaul nonstops"
o Who buys seats on these nonstops - "1) local demand to/from Singapore, 2) connecting ASEAN traffic, 3) Indian subcontinent esp from U.S. West Coast, 4) Australia to/from EWR"
o Financial sector corporate traffic "lagging", however "sufficient offsetting strength from IT and professional services"

drerx7

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 am

ASA wrote:
TSA125 wrote:

SIN-IAH is longer than SIN-EWR by about 400 miles ... seems unlikely ... is IAH really the Mecca of oil industry these days?

I'll hold my speculation for a few more days - hoping there is really an announcement later this week! :crossfingers:

IAH definitely is the mecca of the energy sector. Where else would be a contender? With that said - I don't think this route would go non-stop.

airbazar

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:04 am

ASA wrote:
TSA125 wrote:

Check out reply #98. SIN-IAH GC route is longer than SIN-EWR but neither of those are flown or would be flown via the GC route. Time aloft would be shorter for SIN-IAH. The return however is a whole different ball game.

changyou

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:06 am

Rumoured to be JFK.
SQ26 FRA-JFK downgauge to 7WR.
SQ12 NRT-LAX in return will get the 380.

LAXdude1023

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:15 am

ASA wrote:
TSA125 wrote:

While I don’t think IAH-SIN will be served nonstop, Houston is unquestionably the Mecca of the energy industry in the Americas.

paulduwon

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:42 am

LAXintl wrote:
o Financial sector corporate traffic "lagging", however "sufficient offsetting strength from IT and professional services"

If this is true, wouldn't SQ benefit more from moving their 1-stop SIN-SFO flight to ICN from HKG?
Given the political situation in Hong Kong, and the strong IT traffic between ICN and SFO, I think it was a mistake that they axed SIN-ICN-SFO route.
Assuming the protests in Hong Kong continues, I think it's inevitable that SQ1/2 will be shifted to another city.

BA744PHX

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:07 am

changyou wrote:
Rumoured to be JFK.

Would they cxl EWR-SIN or maintain both EWR/JFK-SIN nonstop?

tphuang

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:24 am

I don't see why they need to cancel EWR when there is this much demand on NYC-SIN. There is enough connection out of both EWR/JFK to capture traffic from IAD/BOS/ORD.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:37 am

changyou wrote:
Rumoured to be JFK.

Something here doesn’t add up. Why would they add JFK non-stop when they already do EWR non-stop. Yes, NYC has SIN demand but not for 3 daily flights (2x non-stop and 1x via FRA). Also, why would they pull the A380 from Jfk and put it back on LAX-NRT when:

1). They’ve already cancelled the A380 from NRT-LAX-NRT not that long ago.

2). the premium passengers that would pay for F/Suites want HND and there’s now several new LAX-HND flights coming.

This makes no sense to me.

My money is on BOS due to the close partnership with B6.

ITSTours

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 am

LAXintl wrote:
If it matters, SIA provided some insight about its North America operation at its recent earnings call.

o Passenger demand strong - "premium demand flourished on U.S. routes, including the four ultra-longhaul nonstops"
o Who buys seats on these nonstops - "1) local demand to/from Singapore, 2) connecting ASEAN traffic, 3) Indian subcontinent esp from U.S. West Coast, 4) Australia to/from EWR"

Australia - Singapore - EWR seems to be a significant detour. Interesting people are actually buying this route.

USAirALB

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:58 am

To me JFK makes the most sense.

I can't personally see IAD. In my eyes, the Baltimore-Washington region lacks the financial industries necessary to provide support for the flight. CX is rumored to be struggling on IAD-HKG, and through KA essentially provides all the connections in Southeast Asia that SQ and MI provide. I think you will see someone start IAD-TPE and IAD-PVG way before SQ were to start IAD-SIN. It just doesn't make sense.
LAXintl wrote:
4) Australia to/from EWR"

That's fascinating to me. Though I would assume it is onward connections to PER/ADL/DRW rather than SYD or MEL.

Kent350787

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:29 am

ITSTours wrote:

Australia - Singapore - EWR seems to be a significant detour. Interesting people are actually buying this route.

It's around 30 hours, including a 3hr20 wait in Changi. But at least you're flying SQ rather than some of the alternatives, and you don't have to transit LAX and fly US domestic. That said, it is longer than via NRT/HND or HKG.

Kent350787

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:35 am

USAirALB wrote:
That's fascinating to me. Though I would assume it is onward connections to PER/ADL/DRW rather than SYD or MEL.

True, that's likely, with direct services to SIN from each.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:13 am

Kent350787 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Why is ADL-NYC any different than MEL-NYC?

FSDan

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:24 am

changyou wrote:
Rumoured to be JFK.

If true, I wonder if the LAX-NRT upgauge would only last through the Summer 2020 Olympics? LAX-TYO will be getting an injection of capacity already through UA's new LAX-HND flight and JL's new LAX-HND flight, not to mention the other NH flight and the AA flight moving over from NRT to HND.

I do think JFK-SIN makes sense, though. Plenty of high value traffic on NYC-SIN, and many who prefer JFK to EWR just as others prefer EWR to JFK.

USAirALB

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:41 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

MEL can be reached nonstop via LAX and SFO, allowing one to fly NYC-LAX/SFO-MEL. ADL either requires connecting in SYD/MEL/BNE after flying to another US city to catch a nonstop to the Australian east coast, or connecting in HKG (CX), CAN (CZ), DXB (EK), or QR (DOH).

Flying NYC-HKG-ADL is the shortest route. Whenever I have flown SQ001/SQ002 or SQ31/32 there were always a handful of Australians on the route, as were there when I flew SQ25. It may not be the shortest route, but SQ is relatively popular in Australia and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those travelers had status with SQ.

Kent350787

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:48 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

ADL only has three x one stop eastbound options to NYC, via SIN, HKG or CAN. I wouldn't ever see it as a non-stop route. MEL also has QF and United multiples daily via US west coast.

And I agree with the PP on SQ popularity in Australia.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:31 am

Kent350787 wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

It's around 30 hours, including a 3hr20 wait in Changi. But at least you're flying SQ rather than some of the alternatives, and you don't have to transit LAX and fly US domestic. That said, it is longer than via NRT/HND or HKG.

Actually from PER you can get onto several US bound flights with a 90 minute transit time via SIN. Other airlines such as CX, CZ, EK and QR also do well out of PER with US connections. Those who choose to go via SYD/BNE/MEL whether they travel via QF or VA result in having to get the redeye from PER to the east coast and normally spend several hours in transit at those ports before departing for the US

changyou

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:37 am

BA744PHX wrote:
changyou wrote:
Rumoured to be JFK.

Would they cxl EWR-SIN or maintain both EWR/JFK-SIN nonstop?

This new JFK service is an addition to EWR.
3 daily to NYC afaik.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:03 am

Kent350787 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

ADL only has three x one stop eastbound options to NYC, via SIN, HKG or CAN. I wouldn't ever see it as a non-stop route. MEL also has QF and United multiples daily via US west coast.

For now. People can soon go ADL-AKL-EWR so that will be moot. SQ and QF will be obsolete in no time on routes like ADL-NYC, PER-NYC, SYD-NYC, BNE-NYC, CNS-NYC and MEL-NYC

airbazar

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:51 pm

ITSTours wrote:

EK is selling to the same crowd so why would SQ be any different? People don't buy plane tickets based on GC route. I doubt 90% of the flying public even knows what that is. People buy plane tickets based on price, convenience of schedule, and airline affinity, but not necessarily in that order.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:09 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

For now. People can soon go ADL-AKL-EWR so that will be moot. SQ and QF will be obsolete in no time on routes like ADL-NYC, PER-NYC, SYD-NYC, BNE-NYC, CNS-NYC and MEL-NYC

Both QF and SQ will carry the bulk of the business traffic. The NZ service will only operate 3 times a week, therefore its not really business friendly. I would also suggest you do a bit of research before lumping all those in, you do realise PER-AKL-EWR requires a 14 hour layover in AKL. Just for comparison

NZ departs PER at 1850 which would arrive in EWR at 1735 the following day or you could take SQ which departs PER just after 1700 and arrive in EWR at 530 the next morning, about 10 hours shorter in travelling time

eta unknown

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:25 pm

The only significant ex AU traffic SQ is carrying to NYC is from PER where going via SIN isn't that much further than via SYD/MEL/BNE/AKL and SQ has been carrying them for years, plus a bit to LAX/SFO. EK/QR also carry some NYC traffic via their hubs and due to geography also isn't that much of a detour. ADL pax will go via MEL. DRW pax numbers are too insignificant to contemplate.

x1234

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:20 pm

SQ is better off flying SIN-LAX/SFO NON-STOP on the A380 weight-restricted west-bound like QF8 DFW-SYD,

tcaeyx

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:32 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Also, why would they pull the A380 from Jfk and put it back on LAX-NRT when:

2). the premium passengers that would pay for F/Suites want HND and there’s now several new LAX-HND flights coming.

The A380 was only pulled from LAX because they added ICN. In the past year, LAX has gone from (2) 77W per day to (1) 77W and (1) premium-heavy A359. Makes sense to add the capacity back with the A380 and maintain their competitive edge to TYO with their suites.

clrd4t8koff

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 am

tcaeyx wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

The A380 was only pulled from LAX because they added ICN. In the past year, LAX has gone from (2) 77W per day to (1) 77W and (1) premium-heavy A359. Makes sense to add the capacity back with the A380 and maintain their competitive edge to TYO with their suites.

But don’t you agree that those passengers paying for suites are premium passengers who want to go to HND, not NRT?

ZK-NBT

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:32 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
tcaeyx wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

But don’t you agree that those passengers paying for suites are premium passengers who want to go to HND, not NRT?

Suites LAX-HND won’t help SQ though as they can’t fly that route.

I always remember reading that SQ were the cheapest FRA-JFK, that was probably back in the 744 days, they were then flying the premium A380 on the route, i think recently it switched back to the oldest less premium sub fleet.

I think Going 77W makes sense on FRA-JFK, a chance to improve yeilds, while adding SIN-JFK non stop replaces some of the lost premium capacity.

LAX772LR

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Yes, NYC has SIN demand but not for 3 daily flights (2x non-stop and 1x via FRA).

Why not? That's essentially what they do in LAX, with NRT instead of FRA.

clrd4t8koff wrote:
They’ve already cancelled the A380 from NRT-LAX-NRT not that long ago.

Just downgauged, not cancelled. That flight is still around and doing fine.

x1234 wrote:
SQ is better off flying SIN-LAX/SFO NON-STOP on the A380 weight-restricted west-bound like QF8 DFW-SYD,

Based on _______?

clrd4t8koff

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:02 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

SQ is only 2x to LAX. One is non-stop and the other is via NRT, no?

LAX772LR wrote:
Just downgauged, not cancelled. That flight is still around and doing fine.

Never said the route was cancelled, only the A380 that used to operate it was.

airbazar

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:08 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

SQ is only 2x to LAX. One is non-stop and the other is via NRT, no?

Yup, they cut ICN-LAX last year. But NYC-SIN is a larger market than LAX-SIN so wouldn't that alone justify a second non-stop?

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm

How about BOS-LHR-SIN? That would kill two birds in one shot:

1) Star Alliance gets into the hot BOS-LHR market.
2) Boston gets a (1-stop) flight to Australia.

NorthwestB744

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm

ORD. I don't feel like Boston is big enough. IAD maybe.

Arion640

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Wouldn’t that be a 2 stop flight?

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Wouldn’t that be a 2 stop flight?

Right.

TWA902fly

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Could an A359ULR make SIN-GRU? It is 413sm/359nm longer than SIN-EWR, but I am not sure how the winds are along that flight path. Didn't SQ serve GRU at one point via BCN?

'902

dcaviation

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:22 pm

hohd wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

You are absolutely wrong. Taken from Singapore's own web site. They have started codesharing back in 2016.
Singapore codeshares with United.

Codeshare destinations with United Airlines

Routes
Houston ↔ Atlanta
Houston ↔ Austin
Houston ↔ Dallas
Houston ↔ Fort Lauderdale
Houston ↔ Miami
Houston ↔ New Orleans
Houston ↔ Orlando
Houston ↔ Tampa

and here is another source
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2016/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos