HappyContrails
Topic Author

NYT obituary for the last survivor of the Hindenburg disaster.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Werner Doehner, the last living survivor, talked with Associated Press in 2017, on the eve of the 80th anniversary of the disaster. He lost his father on scene and his sister, who succumbed later to her injuries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/16/us/w ... aster.html

Dominion301

Re: NYT obituary for the last survivor of the Hindenburg disaster.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Wow that was quite the story. Hopefully more anetters comment on this thread.

TUSPHX

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Didn't know that there were any survivers still living then. That is an incredible story.
A mile of highway will take you just one mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.
If it ain't boeing, i ain't going.

cedarjet

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:19 pm

The lead photo of the crash is absolutely incredible. I’ve always been fascinated by the Hindenburg. The 1970s movie isn’t bad considering some of the shortfalls of the genre (just today over lunch I watched a bit of SST Death Flight on YouTube, with the Brady Bunch dad at the controls and Billy Crystal as a gay flight attendant, so it could have been worse). The Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen is phenomenal, if you’re interested in this kind of thing.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

JetBuddy

Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:44 pm

That's an interesting story. I've always thought of the Hindenburg disaster as so far in the past, with no real connection to today. But reading about this man, the last survivor just dying, it changes the perspective a bit.

oldannyboy

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Wow. Reading about a 'survivor' brings the whole accident much much closer to us, and to some extent I think it perhaps makes it a "REAL THING" as conversely some may perceive this to be 'yet another piece of long lost history'.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:43 pm

“The past isn’t dead, it isn’t even past”

Faulkner

ssteve

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm

I have always been amazed at the Macon and the Akron. Amazing, amazing, brittle things.

klm617

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:56 pm

cedarjet wrote:
The lead photo of the crash is absolutely incredible. I’ve always been fascinated by the Hindenburg. The 1970s movie isn’t bad considering some of the shortfalls of the genre (just today over lunch I watched a bit of SST Death Flight on YouTube, with the Brady Bunch dad at the controls and Billy Crystal as a gay flight attendant, so it could have been worse). The Zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen is phenomenal, if you’re interested in this kind of thing.

I agree I have been to that museum it is truly amazing.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

DFW17L

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:18 pm

What amazes me about the Hindenburg Disaster is how many people survived.

smokeybandit

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 pm

DFW17L wrote:

Well it didn't crash hard and the fire burning upward at first gave people time to run from the gondola before it collapsed on itself.

kjeld0d

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

Well it didn't crash hard and the fire burning upward at first gave people time to run from the gondola before it collapsed on itself.

Its unfortunate that George C. Scott and Anne Bancroft weren't able to defuse the bomb in time...

mga707

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:31 pm

ssteve wrote:
I have always been amazed at the Macon and the Akron. Amazing, amazing, brittle things.

Agree. The USS 'Los Angeles', which did not fly after the loss of the 'Macon', and both 'Graf Zeppelin' airships, which likewise were grounded after the 'Hindenburg' crash, all survived until the outbreak of WW2, when all three were scrapped by their respective government for vital metal for the war effort. They were the last three dirigibles in the world (not to be confused with blimps).

JohnJ

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:42 pm

The Hindenburg crash site in Lakehurst, NJ is worth a visit. You have to make advance reservations, and be a U.S. citizen to visit, as it’s on an active military base. If you have base privileges, you can get there without issue. They have a small museum on site.

Gemuser

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:33 pm

mga707 wrote:
ssteve wrote:

Agree. The USS 'Los Angeles', which did not fly after the loss of the 'Macon', and both 'Graf Zeppelin' airships, which likewise were grounded after the 'Hindenburg' crash, all survived until the outbreak of WW2, when all three were scrapped by their respective government for vital metal for the war effort. They were the last three dirigibles in the world (not to be confused with blimps).

They were not the "last three dirigibles in the world"! There were several operating out of Friedrichafen when I was last there in 2017 and the Zeppelin Company is still building small [compared to the 1930s giants] rigided frame dirigbiles.

I second the advice to visit themuseum, very well worth it! Also the Donier Museum out at the airport.

Gemuser

mga707

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:50 am

Gemuser wrote:
mga707 wrote:
ssteve wrote:

They were not the "last three dirigibles in the world"! There were several operating out of Friedrichafen when I was last there in 2017 and the Zeppelin Company is still building small [compared to the 1930s giants] rigided frame dirigbiles.

I second the advice to visit themuseum, very well worth it! Also the Donier Museum out at the airport.

Gemuser

OK, then, the last three 'classic' dirigibles...

Phosphorus

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

Gemuser wrote:
mga707 wrote:
ssteve wrote:

Gemuser

Sorry, but you seem to be mistaken. Existing "Zeppelin NT" are not rigid airships/dirigibles. They are semi-rigid airships -- a distinct class, different from blimps and from rigids; neither of them in the meantime.
Umberto Nobile was a famous designer of semi-rigids (including famous/infamous Italia).
I've read a quote, attributed to Ferdinand von Zeppelin, to the degree that "semi-rigid airships combine the worst shorfalls of blimps with the worst shortfalls of rigid airships, with no notable advantages of either" or some such.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Gemuser

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:48 am

Phosphorus wrote:
Gemuser wrote:
mga707 wrote:

Gemuser

Sorry, but you seem to be mistaken. Existing "Zeppelin NT" are not rigid airships/dirigibles. They are semi-rigid airships -- a distinct class, different from blimps and from rigids; neither of them in the meantime.
Umberto Nobile was a famous designer of semi-rigids (including famous/infamous Italia).
I've read a quote, attributed to Ferdinand von Zeppelin, to the degree that "semi-rigid airships combine the worst shorfalls of blimps with the worst shortfalls of rigid airships, with no notable advantages of either" or some such.

Not what I was told at the Zeppelin Museum! Do you have a referance, please?

Gemuser

Heinkel

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am

smokeybandit wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

In the big Zeppelins, the gondola was only the flight deck for the flight crew. The passenger deck was in the main body.

Phosphorus

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 am

Gemuser wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Not what I was told at the Zeppelin Museum! Do you have a referance, please?

Gemuser

"Been there, done that". Yes, Zeppelin museum is a great one to visit, and yes, they go to a great length trying to build a bridge from original von Zeppelin work to Zeppelin NT.
But.
Zeppelin NT is not a classical rigid craft, it's a semi-rigid. Wiki is a good starting place to learn the difference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-rigid_airship
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777

klwright69

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Yeah, too bad George C. Scott and Anne Bancroft couldn't diffuse the bomb in time...

The movie The Hindenburg is pretty good. Everyone should at least watch the final 30 minutes of the film. The final destruction sequence is very impressive even by modern standards.

twaconnie

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:07 pm

It's my understanding this disaster never would have happened if Germany had access to non-flammable helium. The US would not sell helium to Germany at that time for political reasons.And I maybe wrong the US is only place were helium is found.

Phosphorus

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:01 pm

twaconnie wrote:
It's my understanding this disaster never would have happened if Germany had access to non-flammable helium. ...

True.

twaconnie wrote:
... The US would not sell helium to Germany at that time for political reasons...

More broadly, strategic reasons. Yes, Hindenburg disaster has set in motion a chain of events, that could have led to US export license being granted for sale of helium for the next Graf Zeppelin II. But it didn't. Red tape took time, and then one of the US officials refused to sign -- so it was delayed again. And then Germany invaded Czechoslovakia, and the matter, predictably, died. (Innocent times, weren't they? Once an aggressor's true face is revealed, the list of people, willing to do business with him, is growing thin. Was true for Hitler, is not true for Putin. But I digress).

twaconnie wrote:
....And I maybe wrong the US is only place were helium is found.

It was.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos