B757Forever
Topic Author

Delta DC7B inbound to ATL for DL museum.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Douglas DC-7B, N4887C (Delta Ship 717), is in the air and flying home! The DC-7B left Mesa, AZ, yesterday, stopped overnight at Midland, TX, and is scheduled to arrive in ATL at about 5:00 p.m. today. Expecting flyby along north runways and landing to follow. You can track its flight here: https://planefinder.net/flight/N4887C.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

Newark727

Re: Delta DC7B inbound to ATL for DL museum.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Oh excellent! I saw them working on that plane at Coolidge, Arizona earlier this year, and all they could tell me was that they were going to fly it to Phoenix when it was ready. Glad it has a home!

B757Forever
Topic Author

Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:47 pm

It will be painted and polished for display at the Delta Flight Museum. As cool as it would be to have a flying example, that is simply not going to happen. This may very well be the last DC7B flight ever. :(

doulasc

Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:31 pm

B757Forever wrote:
It will be painted and polished for display at the Delta Flight Museum. As cool as it would be to have a flying example, that is simply not going to happen. This may very well be the last DC7B flight ever. :(

Lets hope not,The DC-7B stranded in Charlotte may have a slim chance only if the right amount of capital is invested.I was told its not only a
problem with the engine but insurance costs are prohibitive.The one in New Smyrna Beach that one has no chance.

georgiaame

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:19 am

Well, it wasn't a DC-7 (I flew on one in 1961!), but flying out to IAH last week, there was a B-17 parked at the Delta maintenance hanger here in Atlanta. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to get a shot. We at war, or something?
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

SteelChair

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:25 am

georgiaame wrote:
Well, it wasn't a DC-7 (I flew on one in 1961!), but flying out to IAH last week, there was a B-17 parked at the Delta maintenance hanger here in Atlanta. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough to get a shot. We at war, or something?

Perhaps related the November 11 holiday?

Congrats to the Delta Museum. Having a 4 engine propliner really puts them in a different league imho.

PS Hangar. I hate to correct people on a webpage, but that one is a pet peeve of mine.

B757Forever
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:36 am

georgiaame wrote:

Delta TechOps has a pretty big Veterans Day event each year. This year we had a total of roughly 30 current or historic military aircraft on display.

scbriml

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:42 am

That's really cool. I saw this plane when I visited Coolidge in early 2017.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

airtechy

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:06 am

My first commercial flight was on a Delta DC-7 (might have been this plane!) from Knoxville to Atlanta in early 1966. I think they only flew them for a few more months. The weather was stinko in Atl and we had to circle for an hour. I also remember having to run the full length of the two terminal wings to my next DC-9 flight to MCO. :eyepopping:

It will make a great addition to the museum. :)

Jim

mga707

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:44 am

She made it to ATL without incident. Finally home.

FlyingElvii

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:06 am

doulasc wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

Lets hope not,The DC-7B stranded in Charlotte may have a slim chance only if the right amount of capital is invested.I was told its not only a
problem with the engine but insurance costs are prohibitive.The one in New Smyrna Beach that one has no chance.

Wasn’t there also me under restoration in Ocean City, NJ?

GCT64

Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:55 am

Are the Erickson DC-7s still operating? This photo suggests they are:

Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

Babyshark

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:16 pm

mga707 wrote:
She made it to ATL without incident. Finally home.

Sweet. Any good photos?

Cebo29

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:02 pm

She’s parked on the southeast side of DNTC and she’s a beauty.

Dominion301

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 pm

GCT64 wrote:
Are the Erickson DC-7s still operating? This photo suggests they are:

Indeed. According to the photo they will retire after the 2020 firefighting season.

nikeherc

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:13 pm

Beautiful! I was able to fly on Delta DC-6s and DC-7s in the late 1960s. I am delighted to see that Delta will honor one of its greatest planes in its museum. I know this puts me in the minority, but I always thought the '7 was the most attractive of the four-engine prop-liners. It looked like it was all business and had pleasing proportions. I remember when DL started retiring the big prop planes. They stored a bunch of them on the grass between the apron and the runway at my home airport of CAE. I'm still nostalgic for them.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

AAflyguy

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Cool video of the takeoff, ATL flyover, and landing: https://news.delta.com/one-final-homeco ... nta-return

AAflyguy

tomaheath

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:18 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
Cool video of the takeoff, ATL flyover, and landing: https://news.delta.com/one-final-homeco ... nta-return

AAflyguy

Wow. Great video. I was somewhat surprised about the gear up flight.

TW870

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:45 am

tomaheath wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:

AAflyguy

A good marketing video for sure, but not by or for prop enthusiasts. No cool start-up sequence, music covering up the sound of the engines, and most importantly, no cool camera work for the infamous R-3350 exhaust stack fire plumes on takeoff.

I was an obsessive propliner geek in high school back with this bird was with T&G Aviation out at Chandler field as a firebomber. They were experts in all things DC-7 throught the 1980s and early-1990s, and did a really cool renovation of a former Northwest DC-7C, N289, in the late-1980s. They ended up selling it to Santo Domingo-based Aerochago, and it was lost in an accident soon after delivery.

This particular Delta aircraft was cool because they never repainted it. It flew for T+G in a faded Delta color scheme the whole time.

Babyshark

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:06 am

TW870 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:

AAflyguy

A good marketing video for sure, but not by or for prop enthusiasts. No cool start-up sequence, music covering up the sound of the engines, and most importantly, no cool camera work for the infamous R-3350 exhaust stack fire plumes on takeoff.

I was an obsessive propliner geek in high school back with this bird was with T&G Aviation out at Chandler field as a firebomber. They were experts in all things DC-7 throught the 1980s and early-1990s, and did a really cool renovation of a former Northwest DC-7C, N289, in the late-1980s. They ended up selling it to Santo Domingo-based Aerochago, and it was lost in an accident soon after delivery.

This particular Delta aircraft was cool because they never repainted it. It flew for T+G in a faded Delta color scheme the whole time.

If you look back through it’s photo history it had a different paint scheme until the 2000s. The paint is from the early 2000s and evidently for a brief moment it had the delta logo but the owner had to remove it.

TW870

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:51 am

Babyshark wrote:
TW870 wrote:
tomaheath wrote:

If you look back through it’s photo history it had a different paint scheme until the 2000s. The paint is from the early 2000s and evidently for a brief moment it had the delta logo but the owner had to remove it.

Oh yeah I stand corrected. My memory had faded like the aircraft. I actually pulled out Steve Piercey's photo book Air Freighters which has a picture of it from 1981 at Chandler before you posted. It looks like the travel club that flew it after Delta kept it in the basic Delta scheme without the titles. Then, T+G seems to have painted over some of it, keeping the basic geometrics of the DL scheme, but painting red over some of the navy below and above the cheat line, and then painting the tail all red and white. It was very faded, though, so I don't know if it ever got a full re-spray. Piercey's book has it shot about the same time as the 1981 photo in this data base - about a year after it came to T+G.

thewizbizman

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:56 am

B757Forever wrote:

They keep the DC-3 flightworthy, so keep your fingers crossed they do the same for the DC-7.
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

crownvic

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:32 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
doulasc wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

Ocean City NJ is a small GA airport with a 2900' x 60' runway that I doubt could handle the weight of a DC-7. As much as I would love for you to be right, you must be getting confused with some other aircraft. The Berlin Airlift Society in NJ has a C-54 and a C-97 Strat, but that is the only operating large pistons I know of in the region.

crownvic

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 am

Does anyone know what is happening with the DC-7C at Goodyear AZ? That is a true, beautiful Seven Seas!

SierraPacific

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:03 am

I always saw that DC-7 while doing touch and go's at post-apocalyptic Coolidge (slightly joking). I love to see that it made its way home and didn't join the other aircraft rotting on the ramp there.

Also, if anyone is a fan of airworthy Shorts aircraft that is the place to go

slcguy

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:13 am

I remember flying on a Delta DC-7 when i was 5 years old. Obviously at that age i don't remember all the details. Late August 1961 DAL-MSY and return about a week later MSY-DAL. The things that stand out were the dark blue/black engine cowlings and 4 bladed props on a late afternoon departure from DAL. The return flight was skirting a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. Hit turbulence during meal service, remember seeing a butter knife in the air going end over end from my moms seat to mine lol. Those engine cowlings and the tumbling knife will always be remembered. Wonder if this one of those aircraft, Will never know.

scbriml

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Also, if anyone is a fan of airworthy Shorts aircraft that is the place to go

Indeed:

Somewhat OT, but if you want Skyvans, Perris Valley, CA is the place to go:

Meanwhile, back on the topic of Delta's DC-7, it's great to see some love for an old classic. Too many are just rotting around derelict at remote fields.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

FlyingElvii

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

crownvic wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
doulasc wrote:

Ocean City NJ is a small GA airport with a 2900' x 60' runway that I doubt could handle the weight of a DC-7. As much as I would love for you to be right, you must be getting confused with some other aircraft. The Berlin Airlift Society in NJ has a C-54 and a C-97 Strat, but that is the only operating large pistons I know of in the region.

Sorry, I meant Ocean County, Toms River

B757Forever
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

They keep the DC-3 flightworthy, so keep your fingers crossed they do the same for the DC-7.

The fabulous looking Delta DC-3 hasn't flown in quite a few years. It does live indoors in a climate controlled museum and thus remains in excellent condition. It could be made flyable in a short time if desired. I believe the cost of operations, maintenance and insurance is a bigger financial burden than the Delta Flight Museum is ready to carry. The DC-7 will be displayed outdoors, directly in front of Hangar 1, right outside of where the DC-3 lives in climate controlled comfort!

B757Forever
Topic Author

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:09 am

crownvic

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:13 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
crownvic wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Sorry, I meant Ocean County, Toms River

Yes, I think we are talking about the Berlin Airlift Historical Flight aircraft...

monsoon84

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:01 am

That’s awesome to hear that’s where it went. They flew it out of P08 about a month before the main runway there closed until May. Never though I would see that plane fly again; they have been working on it for years....

reltney

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:10 pm

B757Forever wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

The fabulous looking Delta DC-3 hasn't flown in quite a few years. It does live indoors in a climate controlled museum and thus remains in excellent condition. It could be made flyable in a short time if desired. I believe the cost of operations, maintenance and insurance is a bigger financial burden than the Delta Flight Museum is ready to carry. The DC-7 will be displayed outdoors, directly in front of Hangar 1, right outside of where the DC-3 lives in climate controlled comfort!

To bad, The DC-7 needs to be inside. It really does. Perhaps that needs to be put in motion. My father flew the first 767 into service in 82..”Spirit” and ironically flew 2 DC-7s to the new owner. He is looking if it was this one. If it has the ground down tail skid, it was one of the planes.

The DC-3 was ground looped and did major damage to the wing by the not so great former chief pilot of the late 90s... Delta decided to park it but the 3 could be flyable in 30 days .
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

BravoOne

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:36 pm

thewizbizman

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:20 pm

reltney wrote:
B757Forever wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:

To bad, The DC-7 needs to be inside. It really does. Perhaps that needs to be put in motion. My father flew the first 767 into service in 82..”Spirit” and ironically flew 2 DC-7s to the new owner. He is looking if it was this one. If it has the ground down tail skid, it was one of the planes.

The DC-3 was ground looped and did major damage to the wing by the not so great former chief pilot of the late 90s... Delta decided to park it but the 3 could be flyable in 30 days .

That is amazing they do that, I have immense respect for the people down at that museum. I really do wish they had the monetary resources to keep every aircraft they have flightworthy. Do you guys know if any besides the DC-3 are flightworthy or able to be made flightworthy within a few months?
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

friendlyskies22

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

This move by DL is a shining example how the company cares about its employees, retirees and the important area of public image and education. Other major carriers seem to have missed this type of opportunity to showcase their history, image and legacy.

Polot

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:20 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
reltney wrote:
B757Forever wrote:

That is amazing they do that, I have immense respect for the people down at that museum. I really do wish they had the monetary resources to keep every aircraft they have flightworthy. Do you guys know if any besides the DC-3 are flightworthy or able to be made flightworthy within a few months?

AFAIK the DC-3 is the only one airworthy (or near airworthy).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos