Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:32 pm

https://arynews.tv/en/pia-pakistan-us-direct-flights/

According to this article, nonstop flights to JFK from Pakistan will likely start April 2020.
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan
 
KingB123
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 pm

I'd rather they didn't and sort their planes and financial mess first before doing this.
King B
 
TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 pm

KingB123 wrote:
I'd rather they didn't and sort their planes and financial mess first before doing this.

I agree, but often what happens with PK is they put the Pakistani community over financial stability. That trend can be seen in SKT, LHE, ISB and especially KHI. (Routes like CDG and YYZ)
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:13 pm

If I were PIA, I would look to launch ISB/LHE - JFK via a stop in Birmingham (BHX) or Manchester (MAN). PIA already serve these 2 destinations and giving a JFK tag could secure fifth freedom traffic and filling planes. Birmingham doesn't have a New York route and this could be a way to serve NYC
 
TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
If I were PIA, I would look to launch ISB/LHE - JFK via a stop in Birmingham (BHX) or Manchester (MAN). PIA already serve these 2 destinations and giving a JFK tag could secure fifth freedom traffic and filling planes. Birmingham doesn't have a New York route and this could be a way to serve NYC

PK served LHE-MAN-JFK for years until 2017, when they cut the flight citing competition from the ME3 and also the MAN stop was undesirable for many going to JFK.
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan
 
YYZORD
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:35 am

Why is there need for this flight if they have an interline agreement with AC? Someone can for example do LHE-YYZ-LGA/EWR instead of flying into annoying JFK. US preclearance is also a breeze compared to customs at JFK.
 
TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Why is there need for this flight if they have an interline agreement with AC? Someone can for example do LHE-YYZ-LGA/EWR instead of flying into annoying JFK. US preclearance is also a breeze compared to customs at JFK.

Probably because whoever thought of this “brilliant” idea to fly into JFK again is not thinking. Probably doesn’t even realize he could expand the AC agreement to a codeshare!
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan
 
TSA125
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:12 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
If I were PIA, I would look to launch ISB/LHE - JFK via a stop in Birmingham (BHX) or Manchester (MAN). PIA already serve these 2 destinations and giving a JFK tag could secure fifth freedom traffic and filling planes. Birmingham doesn't have a New York route and this could be a way to serve NYC


The new CEO at PIA seems to be insistent that he'll get an approval from the US DOT for a nonstop to JFK. It would be huge if it works out this way.
No not that TSA.
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1166
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:23 pm

TSA125 wrote:
The new CEO at PIA seems to be insistent that he'll get an approval from the US DOT for a nonstop to JFK. It would be huge if it works out this way.


Is Pakistan still CAT 2 status with the FAA?
Vahroone
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10455
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
TSA125 wrote:
The new CEO at PIA seems to be insistent that he'll get an approval from the US DOT for a nonstop to JFK. It would be huge if it works out this way.


Is Pakistan still CAT 2 status with the FAA?

No, it is CAT 1.
 
hohd
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Cat 1 or not it will be difficult to get permission from USDOT for nonstop flights to JFK from Pakistan. Best bet is route vis Birmingham which currently has no service to JFK area.
 
JUANTRIPPEJR
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Isn't the westbound stop in Europe obligatory because of US security concerns? I believe Ethiopian is in the same category.
 
TryToFlySomeday
Topic Author
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:38 pm

JUANTRIPPEJR wrote:
Isn't the westbound stop in Europe obligatory because of US security concerns? I believe Ethiopian is in the same category.

It was obligatory because TSA was not allowed to do screening in Pakistan themselves. TSA has visited ISB and KHI earlier this year, so I believe the westbound stop will be dropped.
Ethiopian would do nonstops to ORD and IAD if it weren’t for the elevation of the runway at ADD. Nothing to do with security, as ADD has a more secure airport than ISB/KHI as of right now. (As you can tell by the presence of multiple western airlines!)
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan
 
JUANTRIPPEJR
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:50 pm

TryToFlySomeday wrote:
JUANTRIPPEJR wrote:
Isn't the westbound stop in Europe obligatory because of US security concerns? I believe Ethiopian is in the same category.

It was obligatory because TSA was not allowed to do screening in Pakistan themselves. TSA has visited ISB and KHI earlier this year, so I believe the westbound stop will be dropped.
Ethiopian would do nonstops to ORD and IAD if it weren’t for the elevation of the runway at ADD. Nothing to do with security, as ADD has a more secure airport than ISB/KHI as of right now. (As you can tell by the presence of multiple western airlines!)

The altitude in ADD does not seem to be a problem since ET flies to Brazil non-stop from ADD and the distance to GRU is nearly the same as the US East coast.
 
wn676
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:55 pm

JUANTRIPPEJR wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
JUANTRIPPEJR wrote:
Isn't the westbound stop in Europe obligatory because of US security concerns? I believe Ethiopian is in the same category.

It was obligatory because TSA was not allowed to do screening in Pakistan themselves. TSA has visited ISB and KHI earlier this year, so I believe the westbound stop will be dropped.
Ethiopian would do nonstops to ORD and IAD if it weren’t for the elevation of the runway at ADD. Nothing to do with security, as ADD has a more secure airport than ISB/KHI as of right now. (As you can tell by the presence of multiple western airlines!)

The altitude in ADD does not seem to be a problem since ET flies to Brazil non-stop from ADD and the distance to GRU is nearly the same as the US East coast.


IAD is about 900nm further from ADD than GRU, that difference is not insignificant.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
JUANTRIPPEJR
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:31 am

Re: Rumor: PK to possibly resume JFK in April 2020

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:18 pm

wn676 wrote:
JUANTRIPPEJR wrote:
TryToFlySomeday wrote:
It was obligatory because TSA was not allowed to do screening in Pakistan themselves. TSA has visited ISB and KHI earlier this year, so I believe the westbound stop will be dropped.
Ethiopian would do nonstops to ORD and IAD if it weren’t for the elevation of the runway at ADD. Nothing to do with security, as ADD has a more secure airport than ISB/KHI as of right now. (As you can tell by the presence of multiple western airlines!)

The altitude in ADD does not seem to be a problem since ET flies to Brazil non-stop from ADD and the distance to GRU is nearly the same as the US East coast.


IAD is about 900nm further from ADD than GRU, that difference is not insignificant.

Mexico City is at nearly the same altitude as ADD, yet Aeromexico B787s can now fly non-stop to Korea! Am I missing something?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos