Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MSPNWA

Re: American Airlines Updating Their Livery

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:18 am

This is why I take Jon's information with a huge heap of salt. It's commonly blown way out of proportion or simply wrong. This fits. This is a minor change at best. Barring the winglet change, I don't know if anyone would have noticed.

Yonderlust

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:21 am

N649DL wrote:
In general, I like the AA brand refresh and dimensions on the various planes. If they could make the tail have less lines on it so it's not so busy and put something on the winglets so they're not blank, I'd be happy. I actually liked the "AA.COM" on old scheme winglets. Even a red or blue color on them would look sharp. I'm surprised they didn't keep the the "AA.COM" on the new scheme as it's free advertising and the blank winglets are just bland.

IMHO, I'm a big fan of the old scheme too but AA needed a re-fresh coming out of BK earlier this decade. The only thing that they truly made weird was the overly pixelated US inspired tail. Other branding such as ticket counters, signage, with the new "Eagle" logo still looks fresh. The light colored wood at various counters has to be US "Envoy Class" inspired and looks good as well.

Either way, I think AA did a good job overall and at least they're consistent. If anything, they really overdid it compared to UAL which is only catching up now with their "Evolution" Globe Livery. And AA must also be using good quality paint because I don't see much chipping or inconsistencies after 5-6 years of the new scheme at this point. Tell that to UAL which painted one of their 763s in the new scheme on purpose recently because it was chipping like crazy after being repainted a few years ago.

**Also recall that AA had major problems painting the A300 fleet with metallic back in the day so they opted for white / gray in the 1990s. They eventually put the metallic onto the A300 as an add on, but I'd imagine that's why they chose the neutral gray body scheme after merging with US. If I had it my way, I would've kept the ex-US white and blue body scheme and made the tail have a big white "Eagle" on it with a blue background in tandem with the current AA font.

I really do both the former AA and US schemes but they did a pretty acceptable compromise, all things considered. We can probably thank Horton for that.

I agree with much of what you say except for winglets. When they are logo'd out it looks too cutsie and like a child with stickers. No text on winglets but maybe some color gradations would look nice.

RvA

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:28 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
Miami wrote:
questions wrote:
I’ve never been a fan of AA’s “Screaming Redneck” livery. However, I’ve always thought it would look better with:

- A metallic silver similar to NW’s final livery vs the flat, military gray
- Raise the titles above the window line to prevent the Swiss cheese look
- Darken the light blue in the flight symbol

I like the way you think.

This wasn't an after merger product, it was legacy AA before merger.

US Airways employees were included in the livery vote were they not?

Antarius

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:31 am

MSPNWA wrote:
This is why I take Jon's information with a huge heap of salt. It's commonly blown way out of proportion or simply wrong. This fits. This is a minor change at best. Barring the winglet change, I don't know if anyone would have noticed.

What happened to the winglets?
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

B727skyguy

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:33 am

Fex180 wrote:
For me, the tail is the tackiest part of AA's post-merger livery. It looks very "early 2000's". I hope this livery refresh leads to a more minimalist tail design

Whenever I see the tail of an AA plane, I see a piano keyboard. It looks ridiculous. American has had some version of "AA" as their logo forever. It's an important part of their corporate identity.

Their pre-merger livery was timeless and spectacular. The could easily have kept it and just painted the fuselage silver like SU has. AA has lost their way with their current, hideous livery.

tpaewr

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:36 am

I am impressed that AA managed the “update” their livery in a way more meaningless and underwhelming than UA did.

The bar is set very high for DL to do something even more trivially and silly

Antarius

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:39 am

B727skyguy wrote:
Fex180 wrote:
For me, the tail is the tackiest part of AA's post-merger livery. It looks very "early 2000's". I hope this livery refresh leads to a more minimalist tail design

Whenever I see the tail of an AA plane, I see a piano keyboard. It looks ridiculous. American has had some version of "AA" as their logo forever. It's an important part of their corporate identity.

Their pre-merger livery was timeless and spectacular. The could easily have kept it and just painted the fuselage silver like SU has. AA has lost their way with their current, hideous livery.

This is the blockbuster approach. Netflix is coming, so let's stick to our guns. You can hate the new livery, and that's totally fine. You can definitely argue that AA did a bad job rebranding, but acting like the old livery was going to help carry a brand in 2014 after a bankruptcy is delusional.

These posts remind me of the "when will Pan Am fly again" threads we see here weekly. Nostalgic, but completely separated from reality.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

spud757

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:13 am

Personally, I love the current AA livery. Of all the major US carriers - and I say this as a Brit - AA’s colour scheme and design is the closest brand to the USA flag; almost flag carrier brand status if that were a thing in the USA. Just like the BA livery is instantly recognisable for British, AA’s is instantly distinctive as American. It looks pretty sharp seen lined up at LHR T3.

skipness1E

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 am

B764er wrote:
The original livery is timeless. Not crazy about the current one. They could've refreshed their original livery instead of doing away with it.

It’s very 1972 . It’s many things but timeless, not so much. It’s also the brand associated with 9-11.

None of the US3 really have an iconic look at the mo, none are bad, just missing something.

JannEejit

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:46 am

SXDFC wrote:
It’s hard to believe that this livery was introduced almost 7 years ago. I’d imagine a good chunk of their fleet is due for some new paint. If they were to do an update or modification, I’d imagine now would be the best time to do it. While we’re on the subject, how often does AA repaint their planes? I’d imagine N988NN might be the first repaint in a while?

Yes and almost 7 years since those endless "How dare they change our livery !" threads that appeared on a.net. This thread could be going the same way in fact. :lol: We're not really talking about a bona fide livery update here are we ? Just a different paint method. ;)

Jomar777

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:19 am

Miami wrote:
Top is new. Bottom is old:

Note: This isn't what the "updated" livery is suppose to look finished.

Just a question: how much did AA pay for the design team to come up with this change?

Jomar777

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 am

questions wrote:
I’ve never been a fan of AA’s “Screaming Redneck” livery. However, I’ve always thought it would look better with:

- A metallic silver similar to NW’s final livery vs the flat, military gray
- Raise the titles above the window line to prevent the Swiss cheese look
- Darken the light blue in the flight symbol

IMHO I think you are spot on. Would do the metalic silver more closely to what SU does - looks much nicer. Since they are changing the colour anyway.

I would also do away with the actual tail and put an American Flag properly there somehow (or - better - have kept the old logo) but this is my personal opinion.

Max Q

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am

Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Seabear wrote:
So more metallic in the paint...?

Something like this perhaps?

That’s the ticket !

Bring back this iconic livery and ditch the ugliest rebrand in the business

You can’t. Airbus and Dreamliners have to be painted

Incorrect

All the narrowbody aircraft in AA’s fleet are still built from aluminum and could use a polished finish, and only the 787 in the widebody fleet precludes this
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

birdup

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 am

Slightly off-topic, but since we’re bringing up the old AA livery, there’s something I’ve wondered for a while. Is it just me, or was the “e” in American always painted slightly higher/misaligned (or maybe bigger?) than the other letters?

You can hopefully see what I mean on the S80 here: https://www.airliners.net/photo/America ... /2310595/L

Caluma350

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:38 am

Well surely they cant do a worse job than United did

Polot

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am

Jomar777 wrote:
Miami wrote:

Just a question: how much did AA pay for the design team to come up with this change?

Probably nothing.

Airlines make minor tweaks to their livery all the time.

TheWorm123

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am

UALFAson wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:
It might just be because I’m not wearing my glasses but what is the difference between the two 787 pics? The livery looks no different tbh.

The livery as a whole does not appear to have changed much, if at all. The difference is that in the top pic (the "after") the logo and the American name plate are a bit further down the fuselage. Notice in the bottom pic the red at the bottom of the logo touches the front door, whereas in the top pic, it is a foot or two further to the right. Looking at the positioning relative to the windows, it appears to be at the same height. Although the greys appear to be slightly different shades in the two pics, it's hard to tell if that's just the lighting/angles, as there is obviously a glare on the bottom "before" pic.

I can't believe we are probably going to have a thread with likely hundreds of responses about an almost imperceptible movement of a foot or two. (For the record, I am an AA Platinum who still HATES the new livery--the US Postal Service rip-off logo, the dull grey fuselage, and especially the tail. Hideous and embarrassing to board, especially at foreign airports.)

Thank you for that, the change is barely noticeable so I agree it seems relatively pointless, especially with the cost of repainting the fleet again.

The old livery wasn’t perfect but it stood for decades so I think a slightly modified modern version was all that was needed, maybe a slightly less brutalist type face etc.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

Phoenix757767

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:53 am

Max Q wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

That’s the ticket !

Bring back this iconic livery and ditch the ugliest rebrand in the business

Incorrect

All the narrowbody aircraft in AA’s fleet are still built from aluminum and could use a polished finish, and only the 787 in the widebody fleet precludes this

Wrong, Airbus uses a different aluminum and requires paint. Show me any Airbus now that is a bare metal finish

dfdubflyer

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:08 pm

I personally love the new livery and was a much-needed freshening. The flight symbol does get a little bit lost on the a/c (although it's well integrated elsewhere in their branding). This may be apocryphal but I heard they first viewed the current paint in sunny Fort Worth and were easily able to see the sparkle/silvery color and did not test it out initially in cloudier markets (where it looks pretty gray)

scbriml

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Boy, I had no idea there was still so much butt-hurt about AA's livery. One man's 'timeless' is another's 'old fashioned and dated'. At the end of the day, it's just paint on a plane, people need to move on.

Max Q wrote:
Incorrect

Incorrect.

Airbus A32Xs require painting. Even the 737s in the old polished metal finish looked a complete hotch-potch with the tail painted grey and different panels and doors grey because they aren't metal. Looked a complete mess.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

InnsbruckFlyer

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Incorrect

Wrong, Airbus uses a different aluminum and requires paint. Show me any Airbus now that is a bare metal finish

How about this one?
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

Ishrion

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:43 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Incorrect

How about this one?

Well... he said "Show me any airbus now that is a bare metal finish. AA's A300s no longer exist. Not sure if the A300 was comprised of different materials.

Phoenix757767

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Incorrect

How about this one?

How about a current flying plane?

And AA ended up painting the A300s due to corrosion issues.

wn676

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

How about this one?

They were painted for a time but IIRC in the mid to late ‘90s they started replacing the skin panels with the polished aluminum. American retired those aircraft in the bare metal livery.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

OB1504

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:10 pm

What exactly is the change? Those two Dreamliners look identical to me.

Phoenix757767 wrote:
InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

How about this one?

Other way around. They were delivered painted and were bare metal for the second half of their careers.

Polot

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:20 pm

OB1504 wrote:
What exactly is the change? Those two Dreamliners look identical to me.

The positioning of the titles has changed, the AA logo now starts further back from Door 1, which pushes the rest of the titles back. For an obvious difference look at Door 2, and see how it’s interaction with the titles is different (in top pic “c” of American is fully contained in the door, in bottom the door is bisecting both the “c” and following “a”).

It’s too hard to tell in that one comparison if there are any actually paint differences or if it just because of lighting differences.

travelsonic

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:35 pm

N649DL wrote:
In general, I like the AA brand refresh and dimensions on the various planes. .

For me the only problem I have is that it, IMO, is incredibly radical in so far as the loss of the As with some form of eagle betwixt the two - among other changes. I mean, over the years, the logo changed a lot, but that one symbol had remained a constant in some form up until the last rebrand.

AirnerdTX

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Miami wrote:

Every time I see the "American" in a photo of their plane it looks like a watermark. I think it is the way it appears just "slapped" over the windows.

freakyrat

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Nothing new here. I've already flown in September on an Envoy E175 with the livery. The grey had a mettalic flek to it and the Eagle logo had a honeycomb look to it.

AA321T

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:54 pm

freakyrat wrote:
Nothing new here. I've already flown in September on an Envoy E175 with the livery. The grey had a mettalic flek to it and the Eagle logo had a honeycomb look to it.

That’s the current livery with mica flecks, and the logo and tail has always been made up of pentagons that appear honeycomb like up close. The new one is removing the mica in it but should still have a “mica-like” look to it (albeit probably more dull and not as metallic).

DualQual

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:16 pm

UA444 wrote:
Still better than anything post merger United

Get over it.
There's no known cure for stupid

Seabear

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 pm

Caluma350 wrote:
Well surely they cant do a worse job than United did

United's livery appears "incomplete" to me, as if they just needed to get something out there quickly & didn't want to spend the time or money.

AA's looks like they hired a group of toddlers to draw an "airplane" - and the results are obvious.

Both fall way short of greatness.

Karlsands

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Incorrect

The a300 had the old scheme.

BigWNFan

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:42 pm

I’m madly in love with the newer livery.

UpNAWAy

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm

Polot wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:
Miami wrote:

Probably nothing.

Airlines make minor tweaks to their livery all the time.

Exactly and it was probably done by Engineers not Marketing based on comments from technicians in the field.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:58 pm

AirnerdTX wrote:
Miami wrote:

Every time I see the "American" in a photo of their plane it looks like a watermark. I think it is the way it appears just "slapped" over the windows.

It does indeed scream 'careless application'. The words should be smaller, and above the windows. But other than that, I have to admit that the rest of the AA livery is also a total piece of garbage too. So there is that. . .
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:59 pm

scbriml wrote:
At the end of the day, it's just paint on a plane, people need to move on.

That's my view, but this forum gets lots of 'Won't that Airbus/Boeing look great in XX livery!'

A.net spends a lot of time on what Freud called the narcissism of small differences, where absolute trivialities (fonts! minor fractions of an inch in seat width!) get magnified and bound with great vitriol.

As long as carriers stay away from shocking (shock value wears off, then they're just left with years of ugly), I really don't care.

N766UA

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Was hoping they’d replace that stupid senseless “flight” logo with a blue scissor eagle... oh well.

OB1504

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:29 pm

AA321T wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

That’s the current livery with mica flecks, and the logo and tail has always been made up of pentagons that appear honeycomb like up close. The new one is removing the mica in it but should still have a “mica-like” look to it (albeit probably more dull and not as metallic).

So they moved the titles a few feet and changed to a cheaper/duller paint?

May as well have the outside match the cheapness of the Oasis on the inside, I suppose.

questions

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:48 pm

AA321T wrote:

To be consistent with where Doug has taken the brand.

alasizon

Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:48 pm

OB1504 wrote:
AA321T wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

So they moved the titles a few feet and changed to a cheaper/duller paint?

May as well have the outside match the cheapness of the Oasis on the inside, I suppose.

Not a cheaper paint, rather just a paint that doesn't experience premature peeling from my understanding.

The adjustment on the shifting of letters is probably to prevent premature wear and tear on the letters that were previously bisected by the L2 door.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

UWPAviation

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 am

Anyone know what the “new” winglet design will be? If it’s AA I just expect it to be them slapping the AA.com crap on it.

ocaviation

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:42 am

988NN has skd flights now. Hopefully someone catches it.

VC10er

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:26 am

You cannot compare the new UA livery to AA (well you can if you just wish to personally let everyone know your personal opinion- but you can’t say one is better than the other as a “FACT” because it’s subjective) but they are entirely different from each other from a brand positioning POV.
AA: redesigned in an attempt to be America’s flag airline (yes like BA or AF)
UA: they needed to finally address the Frankenstein created when UA & CO merged. United only did a refresh NOT a redesign. Could UA have done something better (in my opinion, yes). But liveries don’t mean as much as they once did. United TRUE brand identity is coming through segmented consumer touch points; For the high end premium business flier, people will form their opinions about United today and in the future via Polaris Lounges, seats, service etc, United mid tier via United Clubds Premium Economy and E+ and customer service. United Economy fliers will form their impressions based on price and customer service and nice gate seating (and across the board IFE and the United app)
AA: I don’t fly them enough to know. But while they visually appear to be USA’s flag carrier, all I hear is about how they have slipped behind United

As for getting rid of Massino Vignelli’s classic helvetica branding (the loss of the AA & eagle) is equal to the loss of the tulip (especially replacing the AA symbol with that HORRIBLE TRENDY AWKWARD angled eagle sniffing its armpit thing!)

Massimo Vignelli also designed the world famous NYC SUBWAY SIGNAGE! Imagine changing that?! It still looks fabulous today!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Silverstreak

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:27 am

I would love to see the end of the Greyhound Bus livery! I think though they are stuck with this one.

BAINY3

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:45 am

RvA wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
Miami wrote:

I like the way you think.

This wasn't an after merger product, it was legacy AA before merger.

US Airways employees were included in the livery vote were they not?

That vote was a couple of years after the livery change and was a vote on whether to change back to the old livery, the old tail, or keep the new one. It was not a vote on whether to adopt the new livery in the first place, which by that point was already on most of the pre-merger AA fleet.

caleeiii

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:25 am

Antarius wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
I must be the only person that doesn't mind the current livery.

I think it looks excellent.

I agree. I think it is by far the best livery of any airline out there today.

DeltaConnection

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:44 am

UA444 wrote:
Still better than anything post merger United

Can't agree more. Delta and American did very well with their post merger/post bankruptcy liveries. United took the cheap route and slapped their name on the 1990's Continental livery, which will be in place indefinitely apparently.

Max Q

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:44 am

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Incorrect

How about this one?

Exactly
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Virtual737

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:56 am

I appreciated this livery the first time I saw it. It and Etihad's would be my top two of any modern (last 20 years+). 1 plane alone looks good, a line of several with the tails aligned looks amazing and just screams American.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos