JJ777
Topic Author

LA may launch GRU-DOH

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:47 pm

LA announced today, alongside a few new international routes out of LIM, that they are exploring the possibility of starting their own GRU-DOH flight in a codeshare with QR.

I must say this one confused me a little bit. Isn't the daily GRU-DOH flight ran by QR enough for this route? Plus, now that DL has taken most of LA's A350s that weren't delievered yet, what would they use on such a route? A 789 on a SCL-GRU-DOH route?

tphuang

Re: LA may launch GRU-DOH

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:48 pm

Great way to blow off all the money DL just invested.

Fyano773

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:10 pm

You’d better say LATAM. LA no longer exits by itself.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

stl07

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 pm

And didn't they leave OW
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

JJ777
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 pm

stl07 wrote:
And didn't they leave OW

Yes they are leaving OW but QR still owns a 10% chunk of LATAM.

J343

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

I wonder how DL is going to react to this given their history with QR

OGLOBAL

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:34 pm

the current flight by QR takes a detour and it's longer because of the blockade so if it's operated by LA the blockade won't be enforced

x1234

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Oh I almost forgot the GRU-JNB flight now operates with the JJ A350 and SCL-SYD non-stop 3x weekly (other 4x weekly goes via AKL) on the 789. So LATAM is active still in OneWorld or is it QR's 10% investment in LATAM!? I hope LA keeps the code-shares to Asia via SYD/AKL & JNB with CX.

TWA772LR

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 am

x1234 wrote:
Oh I almost forgot the GRU-JNB flight now operates with the JJ A350 and SCL-SYD non-stop 3x weekly (other 4x weekly goes via AKL) on the 789. So LATAM is active still in OneWorld or is it QR's 10% investment in LATAM!? I hope LA keeps the code-shares to Asia via SYD/AKL & JNB with CX.

Well in relative terms the DL investment did just happen so it will take some time to drop those routes. Or they can also be legitimately profitable, too. Only SA flies to JNB from South America and its the same with QF and Australia and those are the only competition for LA.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

JJ777
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:46 am

TWA772LR wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Well in relative terms the DL investment did just happen so it will take some time to drop those routes. Or they can also be legitimately profitable, too. Only SA flies to JNB from South America and its the same with QF and Australia and those are the only competition for LA.

GRU-JNB is an excellent route for LA AFAIK.

Jomar777

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
the current flight by QR takes a detour and it's longer because of the blockade so if it's operated by LA the blockade won't be enforced

You might have spotted the right reason here. Whilst QR needs to make a huge detour because of the GCC Blockade, LA would not have this problem. This means that there's a likelihood, at least as far as LATAM has some sort of tie up with Qatar Airways, that LATAM might take this flight over and save QR a B77L. I do not know how much do they make on the route but it may be the likely outcome since it does save a lot of money to avoid the pointless diversion and, since the blockade does not seem likely to end any time soon...

As for the equipment, it might be a way to get back at least one of the A359s which belongs to LATAM but is flying around the MIddle East on behalf of QR

MoKa777

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

Will another carrier operating the route make any meaningful difference as far the blockade is concerned?

Is a third party carrier starting or ending its flight in Qatar allowed to overfly Saudi Arabia/UAE/Bahrain/Egypt (the countries I believe are part of the blockade)?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

OGLOBAL

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:50 am

Jomar777 wrote:
OGLOBAL wrote:

You might have spotted the right reason here. Whilst QR needs to make a huge detour because of the GCC Blockade, LA would not have this problem. This means that there's a likelihood, at least as far as LATAM has some sort of tie up with Qatar Airways, that LATAM might take this flight over and save QR a B77L. I do not know how much do they make on the route but it may be the likely outcome since it does save a lot of money to avoid the pointless diversion and, since the blockade does not seem likely to end any time soon...

As for the equipment, it might be a way to get back at least one of the A359s which belongs to LATAM but is flying around the MIddle East on behalf of QR

it is a successful route for QR with the help of LA and one world alliance my sister lives in Asuncion . and she always takes that flight whenever she visits BEY and they are not cheap

Arion640

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 am

Don’t forget Delta will only hold 20% of LATAM while Qatar own 10% so they still have some control. Everyone makes it sound Delta are 100% shareholders.
No bumps. No bangs - Concorde

tobsw

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:07 am

It seems the GCC blockade against Qatar is thawing, according to recent reports and events in the last couple of days.

JJ777
Topic Author

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
Will another carrier operating the route make any meaningful difference as far the blockade is concerned?

Is a third party carrier starting or ending its flight in Qatar allowed to overfly Saudi Arabia/UAE/Bahrain/Egypt (the countries I believe are part of the blockade)?

I don't think so. LA has the same overflying restrictions on GRU-TLV that El Al has.

jfk777

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:40 pm

tphuang wrote:

LATAM is not getting money directly from Delta, DL is buying 20% of the airline's existing shares on the stock market.

tphuang

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:43 pm

jfk777 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

LATAM is not getting money directly from Delta, DL is buying 20% of the airline's existing shares on the stock market.

There were definitely some money provided to latam for transition cost.

migair54

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Indian Airlines overfly the UAE on the way to Doha.

I think if the flight is doing very good it could make sense to add a second daily flight to offer transfer traffic another bank of departures out of Doha, that'd maximize the connectivity in Doha and if the timings are good in GRU they could also do the same there.

However I don't think that the traffic is that big and I'd not understand why Latam is going to start a flight where they will not be getting the biggest part of the pie, I think they could use the planes and resources to open better and more profitable own routes to Europe or USA.

gatibosgru

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm

I can only see this working if the QR flight is replaced by the LA one.
@DadCelo

OB1504

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Fyano773 wrote:
You’d better say LATAM. LA no longer exits by itself.

LA is the IATA code for LATAM and is thus an accurate way to refer to LATAM. Use of the JJ code has been discontinued.

Fyano773

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Ah Ok, thank you...

dcajet

Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 pm

JJ777 wrote:
LA announced today, alongside a few new international routes out of LIM, that they are exploring the possibility of starting their own GRU-DOH flight in a codeshare with QR.

I must say this one confused me a little bit. Isn't the daily GRU-DOH flight ran by QR enough for this route? Plus, now that DL has taken most of LA's A350s that weren't delievered yet, what would they use on such a route? A 789 on a SCL-GRU-DOH route?

Must have missed it: what new routes ex-LIM have been announced? Would you have a source?

Thanks,
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

OGLOBAL

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 pm

JJ777 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

I don't think so. LA has the same overflying restrictions on GRU-TLV that El Al has.

Only QR is not allowed to overfly UAE KSA and Egypt all other airlines are allowed to . just check royal jordanian flight path from amm to doh or mea from bey to doh

MoKa777

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:10 am

OGLOBAL wrote:
JJ777 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

Only QR is not allowed to overfly UAE KSA and Egypt all other airlines are allowed to . just check royal jordanian flight path from amm to doh or mea from bey to doh

Aah, I see. I wasn't sure. Thank you
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

onwFan

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:40 am

tphuang wrote:

Indeed! I remember that CX attempted HKG-DOH in a JV with QR and that failed miserably. I hardly see how LA will be able to claim a premium in such a fragmented market as Latam-Asia with a route like GRU-DOH.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos