Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

artflyer

Re: Future of long haul services with just one widebody?

Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:57 am

Blerg wrote:
More good news from JU, November was another fantastic month for them. Capacity is up by 9%, passenger numbers rose by 25%. Hopefully JFK improved as well.

https://www.exyuaviation.com/2019/11/ai ... ember.html

Indeed good news. I think that having reduced capacity in the winter season for BEG-JFK, they have an even bigger increase in capacity percentage wise on other routes (much bigger than 9%) and these have very good loads, specially compared to last year. Loads on any subsidised routes may help in particular.

What are their plans for the summer in terms of planes? Will they lease / wet-lease new planes or reduce charters or the whole winter increase just lifts capacity (except for BEG-JFK) to more or less summer levels while it will stay this summer more or less similar to last years summer capacity.

Koosi

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:59 am

MettP wrote:
What I don’t understand is why they don’t try to capitalize more on Prague’s popularity among Asian tourists, especially a route to Japan was discussed many times in media, but the rumours never proved to be true.

raylee67 wrote:
OK's ICN route is really a legacy from its partial ownership by Korean Air. Now that KE no longer owns any of OK, I am not sure if that route (and the leased A333) will stay for long. Korean tourists to Central Europe will most likely prefer to fly on KE. OK can code share on KE's flight. I think they remain on friendly terms.

The thing about ICN is that it's not solely supported by leisure traffic, there are strong business ties between the two countries. The ability to offer connections at both ICN and PRG can't hurt either.

MettP

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:58 pm

Well, South Korea is only 16th biggest trade partner for the Czech Republic, Japan is 20th with just around 15% lower volume of trade, so the difference is not as big. Japan is much more interesting for Czech tourists than South Korea as well. Also Prague airport lists Tokyo among unserved routes with the biggest potential, similar as Hanoi, which is going to be opened soon by Bamboo Airways. I think Tokyo is really a missed opportunity for OK...

Koosi

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:37 pm

MettP wrote:
Well, South Korea is only 16th biggest trade partner for the Czech Republic, Japan is 20th with just around 15% lower volume of trade, so the difference is not as big. Japan is much more interesting for Czech tourists than South Korea as well. Also Prague airport lists Tokyo among unserved routes with the biggest potential, similar as Hanoi, which is going to be opened soon by Bamboo Airways. I think Tokyo is really a missed opportunity for OK...

I don't disagree that PRG could probably support a Tokyo flight, I'm just not sure OK is in a position to pull it off with no partner in Japan.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos