Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HALFA
Topic Author

Hawaiian Flight Attendant's Vote To Authorize Strike

Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:58 pm

The votes are in and the Hawaiian Airline's Flight Attendant's have spoken. They have overwhelmingly voted to authorize a strike if terms for a new contract cannot be reached with HA Management.
With 95.1% of eligible flight attendant's voting, 1881 voted in favor, and only 1 voted against. This was the largest margin (99.9%) in the history of the AFA for any carrier.
This vote sends a strong message to HA Management that the flight attendants at HA are united and deserve a fair contract. The HA flight attendants have been working under the same agreement that was ratified back in 2012, and which terms expired on December 31, 2016. It has been almost 3 years since the current contract expired. Hawaiian Airlines has two flight attendant bases, both located in two of the most expensive cities to live in the U.S.A., Honolulu and Los Angeles.
While a strike by HA's flight attendants is not imminent, the situation bear's monitoring if you have travel plans on HA in 2020. The National Mediation Board must call for a 30 day cooling off period before a strike deadline can be called by the union.
More here:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/11/2 ... ze-strike/
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/hawaii ... -a-strike/
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/11/ ... ze-strike/

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

MIflyer12

Re: Hawaiian Flight Attendant's Vote To Authorize Strike

Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:32 am

IMHO, the NMB isn't going to allow a strike and disrupt inter-island service. They'll be three more years past the amendable date and not permitted to strike. As for discouraging ticketing by passengers for 2020, don't poop where you eat.

N983AN

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:08 am

Is this just to feed union leaders egos or what? Symbolic at best, there won’t be a strike.

SANFan

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:16 am

I expect WN factors somewhere in this. Probably not just a coincidence of timing... Yikes.

bb

jaybird

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:36 am

I don't think this has anything to do with Southwest - they've been working without a contract for 3 years - that's a long time to work without a contract and/or a change in your salary. I know because my salary has been frozen since 2014!

I don't think HALFA is stirring any pot - he's stating fact. They have to be released from mediation and there has to be a 30-day cooling off period. That puts it into 2020.

And no - I don't work for Hawaiian (I do live in Honolulu) - and I don't know HALFA.

toltommy

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:59 am

jaybird wrote:
they've been working without a contract for 3 years

Wrong.

They are not "without a contract", as you state. Nor has the contract "expired", as the OP stated. But I suspect the OP is simply copy and pasting from the emails the AFA has sent out.

The fact is, contracts governed under the Railway Labor Act do NOT expire. They become amendable. However the current contract and it's work rules and pay rates remain in force until a new contract is reached, or until both sides are released to self help (lockout or strike).

It appears only one side is negotiating in public here.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

jaybird

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:09 am

The end result is the same - no wage adjustment in 3 years regardless of the terminology.

toltommy

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:16 am

Blame the process, not the players. The UAW was able to strike GM immediately. Ford was able to reach an agreement within days. The RLA should be eliminated, but neither side is willing to let that happen. That's what is holding up a new contract and likely pay increases the most. But we should remain factually correct when discussing.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

SierraPacific

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:24 am

toltommy wrote:
Blame the process, not the players. The UAW was able to strike GM immediately. Ford was able to reach an agreement within days. The RLA should be eliminated, but neither side is willing to let that happen. That's what is holding up a new contract and likely pay increases the most. But we should remain factually correct when discussing.

Yup, the RLA is a joke of legislation that is woefully outdated. It makes contract fights way harder than they need to be and also forces labor into a bad position since a strike will never be approved while the contract has no expiration date.

On the topic of Hawaiian flight attendants striking, I would have voted for a strike as well if I went 3 years without a pay raise too. I don't think anyone can blame labor on this one.

PhilMcCrackin

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:45 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
IMHO, the NMB isn't going to allow a strike and disrupt inter-island service. They'll be three more years past the amendable date and not permitted to strike. As for discouraging ticketing by passengers for 2020, don't poop where you eat.

Nope.

They ran AA's FAs around for years without letting them strike. I don't see HA's FAs having any better success. The last 121 airline labor group that was able to strike was Spirit's pilots back in 2010.

Phoenix757767

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:47 am

The NMB hasn’t declared a 30 day cooling off period nor have they been released. Waste of time and meaningless to take a strike vote. The Board will not let them strike.

OKCDCA

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:55 am

SierraPacific wrote:
toltommy wrote:

Yup, the RLA is a joke of legislation that is woefully outdated. It makes contract fights way harder than they need to be and also forces labor into a bad position since a strike will never be approved while the contract has no expiration date.

On the topic of Hawaiian flight attendants striking, I would have voted for a strike as well if I went 3 years without a pay raise too. I don't think anyone can blame labor on this one.

The RLA is far from a joke of legislation. While the inclusion of airline workers can be debated, America’s railroads contribute way too much to the daily economy to allow striking to be an easy process. There are reports today which say a three day strike of America’s railroad workers could result in an economic collapse due to lack of goods movement. For airline workers, they fall into the same category in terms of economic necessity.

I’m typically anti-union but even I can respect the view of 99.9% of voting members. Hawaiian needs to recognize this and get a deal done.

SierraPacific

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:00 am

OKCDCA wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
toltommy wrote:

The RLA is far from a joke of legislation. While the inclusion of airline workers can be debated, America’s railroads contribute way too much to the daily economy to allow striking to be an easy process. There are reports today which say a three day strike of America’s railroad workers could result in an economic collapse due to lack of goods movement. For airline workers, they fall into the same category in terms of economic necessity.

I’m typically anti-union but even I can respect the view of 99.9% of voting members. Hawaiian needs to recognize this and get a deal done.

While I agree with the spirit of the RLA, the legislation has some pretty glaring holes that allow for it to be abused easily. The problem that I see now is that striking isn't just hard but rather impossible because workgroups will never be released again by the NM so it holds every labor group at an airline hostage with absolutely nothing that they can do outside of making public claims like the statement above.

A rewrite of the RLA that has a timeline in it so that negotiations couldn't be dragged out for years would be beneficial for all in my humble opinion.

TTailedTiger

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:05 am

Once the Max is back in service WN might think about mothballing a few 737NG for inter-island service. A strike at HA would be a great time to pounce.

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:52 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
. As for discouraging ticketing by passengers for 2020, don't poop where you eat.

You are putting words in my mouth. No where in my post have I discouraged anyone to purchase tickets on HA. I only suggested they monitor the situation. That is all. This is big news in Hawaii but probably not so much in the rest of the country and this news could be missed by travelers in other regions.

77H

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:58 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Once the Max is back in service WN might think about mothballing a few 737NG for inter-island service. A strike at HA would be a great time to pounce.

While a 3 year pay freeze is rough, it is life, and other airline’s staff have endured similar or worse in the past.

While I’m sure to get flamed for my stance, have the employees at HA stopped to consider that competition is becoming more stiff for HA, an airline that doesn’t have the luxury of insulating potential losses on competitive routes throughout an expansive network like the US3, AS and WN ?
If labor costs become too high it’s likely that HA will start cutting routes, especially when the economy slows again. Less routes equal less staff. Perhaps it’s better to have pay frozen at 3 year old rates than be out of a job?

Beyond that, yes HNL and LAX are very high cost cities, but is that HA’s fault ? Perhaps the HA FA’s would be better served protesting at Honolulu Hale and the State Capitol demanding better of our elected officials and questioning where our ever increasing tax money is going?
Correct me if I’m wrong but Hawaii residents at large have one of the highest, if not the highest total tax burden in the US, and we have very little to show for it. Our public education system ranks between 45 and 50, as does the state of our infrastructure. Reigning in the corruption, the wanton waste of tax money and putting a focus on more efficient utilization of tax money could result in lowered taxes without the need to cut services even more than they have been. This would allow kama aina to retain more of their money, allowing us all to better cope with the COL.
To that end, I’d challenge any HA employee to take a look at their year-end W2, note the Hawaii withholdings then try and calculate all the taxes they pay daily like GE, gas tax, property tax, etc. Then reduce that number by 5, 10, even 15% and ask yourself if you could better cope with our cost of living if you had that extra money.

Let us not forget, HA is HQ’d in HNL, a state ranked one of the least friendly to business...

77H

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:03 am

toltommy wrote:
jaybird wrote:
they've been working without a contract for 3 years

Wrong.

They are not "without a contract", as you state. Nor has the contract "expired", as the OP stated. But I suspect the OP is simply copy and pasting from the emails the AFA has sent out.

The fact is, contracts governed under the Railway Labor Act do NOT expire. They become amendable. However the current contract and it's work rules and pay rates remain in force until a new contract is reached, or until both sides are released to self help (lockout or strike).

It appears only one side is negotiating in public here.

If this site would allow me to go back and edit my post, I would, as you are correct. It was a poor choice of words on my part to state that the terms of our present contract have "expired". You are correct to state that the terms of our present agreement that was ratified 7 years ago have not expired but became amendable nearly 3 years ago. But the fact remains that we have been working under the same contractual terms without a pay raise for nearly 3 years despite record profits being made by HA.
And no, no one is negotiating in public here. This post was added to an aviation forum because it is news worthy and was probably not picked up by national media outlets.

bennett123

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:18 am

Out of interest, if pay for the staff is fixed since 2013, what about Executive Pay and Bonuses.

If that was also fixed at 2013 rates then both sides would be incentivised to reach an agreement.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos