enilria
Topic Author

WN Selects DEN Over BNA/HOU (for What???)

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:55 am

I read this entire article and I don't understand exactly what DEN beat out BNA and HOU to get? It wasn't the hangar as that decision had already occurred. It wasn't the gates, as WN asked for those quite a while back. It wasn't flight growth because they say they will continue to grow "organically" which I think means as they would naturally. The jobs would have come anyway from the use of the new gates and the maintenance base. Did DEN beat out BNA to use the gates WN already was begging for at DEN? LOL

So, what exactly did Denver beat out BNA and HOU to get?

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) has chosen Denver International Airport over the airports in Houston and Nashville for a major expansion which will result in up to 1,013 jobs and a $75 million in capital construction projects.

Southwest, which is the second-largest passenger carrier at DIA, has requested that it receive all of the 16 new gates that DIA is currently adding to Concourse C.

“We’ve requested all 16 gates and we hope that we get all of those,” Van Eaton said.

The $75 million capital expenditure project is associated with the gate expansion. It will include expanding ticket areas, among other construction, Van Eaton said. It's not the only construction project Southwest is involved in at DIA.

Southwest announced in May at a shareholders meeting held in Denver that it planned to build a roughly $100 million hangar at DIA with space for three Boeing 737 planes inside and parking for eight more planes outside the hangar. Van Eaton confirmed that none of the incentives will go toward staffing that construction project.

Gould noted that the operations at DIA would cost more than those at the other facilities in Nashville and Houston that Southwest was considering. Van Eaton added that the cost reduction offered by the incentives inspired Southwest to move to Denver.

Gould said that the airline is likely to grow organically in Denver as well in the coming years and added that there would be reporting requirements added to the contract to ensure taxpayer money goes only to the specified project rather than other growth. Gould added that the proposed project supports the state’s economic goals in several ways.

“First, the project represents a potential major expansion occurring at Denver International Airport, highlighting DEN’s status as a leading international airport,” Gould said, using the facility’s Federal Aviation Administration code.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news ... yptr=yahoo

tphuang

Re: WN Selects DEN Over BNA/HOU (for What???)

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:30 am

Maybe just a feel good story for DIA to hear.

AirFiero

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:32 am

If WN adds 16 gates, what will be it’s total at DEN?

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:44 am

I will say, it’s a bit odd that BNA was even in the running for whatever this is, considering it is not even a crew base yet.

AirFiero wrote:

onaclearday

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:52 am

While the article doesn't clearly state what Denver won, I think both the headline and a quote deep in the piece give a plausible answer. (It sure doesn't say much about the quality of the writing when the reader needs to piece together substance from clues buried in the paragraphs.)

Headline:
Confirmed: Southwest Airlines to add more than 1,000 jobs at DIA

The clues:
"...a planned increase in the amount of pilots and flight crews based out of Denver, Van Eaton said.
"But they all will be very well-paying jobs,” Van Eaton said.

I take these two pieces of evidence to mean that SWA will increase its Denver pilot and flight attendant bases by a substantial amount. Probably not by 1,000, but most likely a significant portion of that number.

And while not all of those warm bodies will be transplants to Colorado, a good percentage of them no doubt will be. That equals new housing, more renters, more needed services, etc., etc.

Again, it would be nice to read a professionally written article that doesn't leave you asking, like the post's title, "What????"

enilria
Topic Author

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 am

onaclearday wrote:
While the article doesn't clearly state what Denver won, I think both the headline and a quote deep in the piece give a plausible answer. (It sure doesn't say much about the quality of the writing when the reader needs to piece together substance from clues buried in the paragraphs.)

Headline:

The clues:
"...a planned increase in the amount of pilots and flight crews based out of Denver, Van Eaton said.

I take these two pieces of evidence to mean that SWA will increase its Denver pilot and flight attendant bases by a substantial amount. Probably not by 1,000, but most likely a significant portion of that number.

And while not all of those warm bodies will be transplants to Colorado, a good percentage of them no doubt will be. That equals new housing, more renters, more needed services, etc., etc.

Again, it would be nice to read a professionally written article that doesn't leave you asking, like the post's title, "What????"

Completely agree. So “DEN beats out BNA/HOU for new crew base expansion” could have been a useful headline. I wonder if the crew base is even it!

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 am

onaclearday wrote:

Headline:

The clues:

Which again, if that is the case, why was BNA even in the running when WN doesn’t even have a crew base there yet.

onaclearday

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:04 am

Which again, if that is the case, why was BNA even in the running when WN doesn’t even have a crew base there yet.

Since SWA was nudging all three communities for an economic incentive to base flight crews in one of those cities, perhaps they were considering opening a BNA base if Nashville power brokers coughed up enough green bling...

onaclearday

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:07 am

coughed up enough green bling...

That sounds pretty unappealing on second read. Sorry, everyone...

rbavfan

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:18 am

AirFiero wrote:

39 as they have 23 currently per their web page.

stl07

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:22 am

onaclearday wrote:

Since SWA was nudging all three communities for an economic incentive to base flight crews in one of those cities, perhaps they were considering opening a BNA base if Nashville power brokers coughed up enough green bling...

Makes sense, but then that makes me wonder why PIT was not in the running if it was about money since money grows on trees at the PIT airport
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:23 am

This is the most confusing article I’ve ever read. Maybe BNA was considered to be a base, but they decided to just invest more into DEN's base.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:22 am

Forget the pilots and FA's. SWA needs to hire more ground ops personnel. When I was a CSA we, and especially the ops agents, were starting to be overworked with mandatory OT given out like candy. Now it's gotten out of hand especially for the ops agents and some have transferred out of DEN or left SWA altogether because the pay scale for ground ops is not a livable wage for the Denver area, among other reasons that I won't get in to.

In fact Fox31 in Denver just mentioned the 1000 jobs added: flight crews (they mentioned the average salary is $128k, try telling that to the FA's), 16 more gates, hangar. And no new details. But the ground ops staffing definitely needs to be addressed and doesn't sound like it is.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Forget the pilots and FA's. SWA needs to hire more ground ops personnel. When I was a CSA we, and especially the ops agents, were starting to be overworked with mandatory OT given out like candy. Now it's gotten out of hand especially for the ops agents and some have transferred out of DEN or left SWA altogether because the pay scale for ground ops is not a livable wage for the Denver area, among other reasons that I won't get in to.

In fact Fox31 in Denver just mentioned the 1000 jobs added: flight crews (they mentioned the average salary is $128k, try telling that to the FA's), 16 more gates, hangar. And no new details. But the ground ops staffing definitely needs to be addressed and doesn't sound like it is.

I’ll just go ahead and say that working at Southwest was not a life changing experience like they make it to be. Overrated. I’ve never been around a more miserable group of people in my life. Herb’s airline is dead.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:34 am

southwest1675 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I’ll just go ahead and say that working at Southwest was not a life changing experience like they make it to be. Overrated. I’ve never been around a more miserable group of people in my life. Herb’s airline is dead.

While I agree Herbs airline is gone, I loved my DEN peeps. They are the best people I've worked with, sans a lot of the local leadership.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

questions

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:40 am

southwest1675 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

But they play it up like Herb’s still around. LUV LUV LUV.

It’s all BS. Total BS. Because they have nothing else to talk about.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 am

TWA772LR wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

While I agree Herbs airline is gone, I loved my DEN peeps. They are the best people I've worked with, sans a lot of the local leadership.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s good people there, but management at my station was not reflective of what Herb was about. They’re gonna let him roll over in his grave in my opinion.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

questions

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:14 am

southwest1675 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, there’s good people there, but management at my station was not reflective of what Herb was about. They’re gonna let him roll over in his grave in my opinion.

There are good people everywhere. And smart people everywhere. But if the ceiling is low, e.g., poor leadership above them, then they can’t perform.

I was referring to corporate.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:18 am

questions wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

There are good people everywhere. And smart people everywhere. But if the ceiling is low, e.g., poor leadership above them, then they can’t perform.

I can agree with that. Just think we’ve lost our touch, and the company focuses more on numbers, and not the people anymore.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

questions

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:29 am

southwest1675 wrote:
questions wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I can agree with that. Just think we’ve lost our touch, and the company focuses more on numbers, and not the people anymore.

There is A LOT of people talk and culture talk. But it’s a bizarre, no one really knows what it means, drink the Kool-Aid and just nod, zombie-cultish feeling. And, while there are pockets of exception, it is, shockingly, incredibly unsophisticated.

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:00 am

southwest1675 wrote:
questions wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Funny you mention that, one of the BNA representatives last night I was talking to feels the same way.

I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself though, from as passenger experience, I still think WN provides good value and lightyears better customer service than most airlines. Overall, I don’t think the basic WN experience has changed too much. Yes, things change as a company grows up, but WN is still a good company overall.

I mean, they aren’t exactly a niche airline anymore, they are now a major player in the US market, so everything can’t be exactly the same.

TWA772LR

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:14 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

100%. My local union rep said the same thing.

Silver1SWA

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:30 pm

questions wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
questions wrote:

There is A LOT of people talk and culture talk. But it’s a bizarre, no one really knows what it means, drink the Kool-Aid and just nod, zombie-cultish feeling. And, while there are pockets of exception, it is, shockingly, incredibly unsophisticated.

The culture lives on through the use (overuse?) of longstanding buzzwords. Reality, at least on the frontlines is very different. Is it still a great company to work for? Absolutely. Is it what it used to be? Nope.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

airfrnt

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Here is a much better writeup:
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/22/s ... l-airport/

Southwest Airlines has chosen Denver over Nashville, Tenn., and Houston for a major expansion that could bring more than 1,000 new jobs to Denver International Airport over the next eight years.

The Colorado Economic Development Commission awarded Southwest, which applied under the code name Project Garfield, $12.5 million in job growth incentive tax credits Thursday morning at a meeting held in Cañon City.

“While we are still firming up our plans, the package makes Denver more attractive to long-term growth including the possibility of adding more flights and more jobs,” Jason Van Eaton, Southwest’s senior vice president of government affairs and real estate, said in an email.

To receive the full incentive, the Dallas-based airline must add 1,013 full-time jobs paying an average annual wage of $128,115. It has eight years to make the hires.

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:35 pm

airfrnt wrote:
Here is a much better writeup:
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/22/s ... l-airport/

Southwest Airlines has chosen Denver over Nashville, Tenn., and Houston for a major expansion that could bring more than 1,000 new jobs to Denver International Airport over the next eight years.

The Colorado Economic Development Commission awarded Southwest, which applied under the code name Project Garfield, $12.5 million in job growth incentive tax credits Thursday morning at a meeting held in Cañon City.

“While we are still firming up our plans, the package makes Denver more attractive to long-term growth including the possibility of adding more flights and more jobs,” Jason Van Eaton, Southwest’s senior vice president of government affairs and real estate, said in an email.

To receive the full incentive, the Dallas-based airline must add 1,013 full-time jobs paying an average annual wage of $128,115. It has eight years to make the hires.

Expansion of what though? That is the question.

jfklganyc

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Remember, F9 pilots chose Republic over WN

All these years later, a very bad move

usflyguy

Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:50 pm

Herb retired when he did because he knew what he was building couldn’t be sustained cost-wise and he wasn’t going to be the bad guy and say that those never-ending raises were going to have to end. When people bring up Herb, it’s because they want to keep the continuous raises flowing... he left when the airline had 30,000 employees and served 59 cities with 350 airplanes. Southwest Airlines is more than double the size on every metric compared to 2001 when he retired as CEO. Very few of the employees want to acknowledge that the airline is a business, they want it to be some sort of family or something.

The COMPANY offers great wages (for the skills required of the positions), profit sharing, great health/vision/dental benefits, great retirement with a 11% match at 100% of contribution, generous vacation... the corporate office sends flowers to funerals, gifts to employees out on medical leave, I could go on and on. The company is the worst when it actually comes to managing people because much of the management is more concerned with being liked and being friends with employees than actually managing said employees.

And flight attendants can easily make $80k - $100k, if not more. I am one, I know.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:13 pm

usflyguy wrote:
Herb retired when he did because he knew what he was building couldn’t be sustained cost-wise and he wasn’t going to be the bad guy and say that those never-ending raises were going to have to end. When people bring up Herb, it’s because they want to keep the continuous raises flowing... he left when the airline had 30,000 employees and served 59 cities with 350 airplanes. Southwest Airlines is more than double the size on every metric compared to 2001 when he retired as CEO. Very few of the employees want to acknowledge that the airline is a business, they want it to be some sort of family or something.

The COMPANY offers great wages (for the skills required of the positions), profit sharing, great health/vision/dental benefits, great retirement with a 11% match at 100% of contribution, generous vacation... the corporate office sends flowers to funerals, gifts to employees out on medical leave, I could go on and on. The company is the worst when it actually comes to managing people because much of the management is more concerned with being liked and being friends with employees than actually managing said employees.

And flight attendants can easily make $80k - $100k, if not more. I am one, I know.

Proud 6 year employee. No doubt change has occurred. I do love Southwest. I wouldn’t wanna work anywhere else. No place is perfect. There are a few things I think the company could do better though. The new generation of WN employees (technically me) view the company different than some of the old timers who were there for Herb’s prime. I just feel bad for the new hires who drink all the kool-aid who think they’re about to get some life changing experience. It’s no different than working at any other mainline carrier. I recall WN used to be very selective in their positions. Now it seems like they’ll take anyone who has a diploma and can pass a drug test. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just I can attest that they genuinely used to look for unique people.
Last edited by southwest1675 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Vctony

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:18 pm

I think the corporate world as a whole has changed over the past 10-15 years. I worked for USAA and that company also changed to being more numbers focused and less employee/customer focused. Numbers and metrics draw corporate America in every decision nowadays.

Silver1SWA

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:19 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
usflyguy wrote:

Proud 6 year employee. No doubt change has occurred. I do love Southwest. I wouldn’t wanna work anywhere else. No place is perfect. There are a few things I think the company could do better though. The new generation of WN employees (technically me) view the company different than some of the old timers who were there for Herb’s prime.

And station-level management is filled with that new generation of employees who have 5 years or less with the company.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jetmatt777

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Curious how they are going to add 1,012 jobs with an average wage of $128,000.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

MIflyer12

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:59 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

It's in the story:

The high salaries reflect in part a planned increase in the amount of pilots and flight crews based out of Denver, Van Eaton said.

WN pilot wages are good, and high with a few years seniority as will be the case of the many jobs bid-in. These pilot jobs won't all be filled with 1st-year pilots. Smart journalists would ask the figure for median wage, not the average, where a particularly well-paid group skews the average.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilMcCrackin

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:02 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

I'm assuming that's mostly pilots because very few ground personnel are getting anywhere near that.

johnboy

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Interesting thread. Thanks for all the insightful replies above. I saw the headline and was trying to figure out the exact same thing as OP.

flyPIT

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 pm

From the original article:

"Southwest, which is the second-largest passenger carrier at DIA, has requested that it receive all of the 16 new gates that DIA is currently adding to Concourse C."

Is it not obvious that 16 new gates will result in a massive increase in flights (and the jobs that go with it) that could have been placed in BNA or HOU? Not sure what the confusion is about.
FLYi

spinotter

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:41 pm

onaclearday wrote:
coughed up enough green bling...

That sounds pretty unappealing on second read. Sorry, everyone...

It sounds exactly like reality, unless you think that currency has a good taste and looks appetizing.

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:45 pm

flyPIT wrote:

"Southwest, which is the second-largest passenger carrier at DIA, has requested that it receive all of the 16 new gates that DIA is currently adding to Concourse C."

Is it not obvious that 16 new gates will result in a massive increase in flights (and the jobs that go with it) that could have been placed in BNA or HOU? Not sure what the confusion is about.

The 16 gates was already public knowledge for a while now, so what’s new? BNA/HOU don’t have that kind of capacity for new flights so why was it even necessary to mention them?

Cubsrule

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:50 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

The 16 gates was already public knowledge for a while now, so what’s new? BNA/HOU don’t have that kind of capacity for new flights so why was it even necessary to mention them?

That's the sort of confusing part about the whole thing. It seems like Colorado may have just thrown a bunch of money at something that was going to happen anyway.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Jshank83

Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

That's the sort of confusing part about the whole thing. It seems like Colorado may have just thrown a bunch of money at something that was going to happen anyway.

That was the vibe I got. Denver was getting this the entire time but they used the other cities as leverage to get some money out of Denver.

flyPIT

Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:53 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Isn't BNA about to launch a $1 billion dollar expansion including new gates and concourse expansions? If WN came to BNA and said we need 15 new gates I'm sure BNA would make it happen as would any other mid size US airport including HOU.
FLYi

BNAMealer

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 pm

flyPIT wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Isn't BNA about to launch a $1 billion dollar expansion including new gates and concourse expansions? If WN came to BNA and said we need 15 new gates I'm sure BNA would make it happen as would any other mid size US airport including HOU.

Right now, BNA isn't in a position to add whatever WN wants because the current expansion requires a lot of shuffling around of different airlines due to the construction of the new FIS facility. Once BNA Vision 1.0 is finished in 2023, then they'll start on Vision 2.0 which will allow WN to gain a fair amount of new gates. In the future, WN will most likely be taking over most, if not all of C and all of D, so that could give them up to 28 gates.

DEN was likely chosen because

A) They had a gate expansion underway that directly benefits WN in the immediate term

B) They have stated publicly that DEN (along with BWI and HOU) is a 2020 growth target

C)As stated before, it was likely Denver/the state of Colorado threw some extra money down

I think WN will turn greater attention towards BNA in a few years after those stations mature a bit and BNA wraps up Vision 1.0

Wacko55

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Once BNA Vision 1.0 is finished in 2023, then they'll start on Vision 2.0 which will allow WN to gain a fair amount of new gates. In the future, WN will most likely be taking over most, if not all of C and all of D, so that could give them up to 28 gates.

How many gates will WN have after 1.0 is finished in 2023? When will 2.0 start and finish?

BNAMealer

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 am

Wacko55 wrote:
Once BNA Vision 1.0 is finished in 2023, then they'll start on Vision 2.0 which will allow WN to gain a fair amount of new gates. In the future, WN will most likely be taking over most, if not all of C and all of D, so that could give them up to 28 gates.

How many gates will WN have after 1.0 is finished in 2023? When will 2.0 start and finish?

WN will net two additional gates next year when D is finished. They are gaining all 6 on D, but losing 4 temporarily on C while the new International concourse is being built. When that is finished, WN will likely get back 1-2 on C, bringing them to a total of 17-18 at the conclusion of the current work.

The next round should begin shortly thereafter (2023-2024ish) and end a few years later. 13 new gates will be added as part of that expansion.

Rdh3e

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:42 pm

Reading this thread and others before it becomes apparent that this is an extension of WN's media pressure campaign designed to force DIA to give them all the new C gates. This seems disingenuous because it would be about a 70% increase in the number of gates and DEN is already nearly tied with MDW for largest WN station.

jetmatt777

Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
Reading this thread and others before it becomes apparent that this is an extension of WN's media pressure campaign designed to force DIA to give them all the new C gates. This seems disingenuous because it would be about a 70% increase in the number of gates and DEN is already nearly tied with MDW for largest WN station.

Agree. Even United's aggressive growth couldn't make use of 16 gates overnight. And United is actually growing, not just putting out press releases.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos