Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TTailedTiger

Re: Boeing 737 Max 10 Rollout

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:20 am

Aviation737 wrote:
Wow some people are really salty about the 737 and Boeing

Yeah I don't get it. Both the 737 and A320 are great planes. I'm not sure why both can't be celebrated.

flipdewaf

Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:29 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
First, for umpteenth time, it’s an amended TC, nothing is grandfathered. Second, the 707 is a different type certificate from the 727 or 737. Amateurs may be otherwise, but they’re different.

GF

Semantics! It’s launched as if it’s a new plane but gets to use some rules from the 60’s and certificated to standards not acceptable if it were designed today. Call it whatever you want.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LGeneReese

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:31 am

rbavfan wrote:
LGeneReese wrote:
airplanedriver6 wrote:
Note that the registration number is listed on the United Fleet Website as the first UA 737-10 aircraft, presumably after certification is complete. I would also suspect the aft emergency exit will be swapped with a fixed plug (with a window) like on UA's 737-900ER and 737-9.

Indeed this aircraft will eventually become UA Ship 7751... still no idea why starting at 51 rather than 01.. :scratchchin:
Also IIRC the emergency exit is required to remain active.

Because boing list them by manufacture number. They don't start each model at an 01 number.

The registration and Ship/Nose/Fleet #s are chosen by the airline/customer and have no direct connection with the aircraft manufacturer #s.
UA Max9s are Ship#s 7501-75xx while UA -chose- the Max10s as Ships 7751-7799 and probably 7801-78xx. Boeing had no input into this decision.
UA’s fleet numbering system is quite the messy mash up between the pre-merger CO and UA systems. But give me any current UA mainline ship number and I can tell you the exact aircraft type it is. :duck:

scbriml

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 am

Airliners.net, don't you just love it? Two opposing "factual" statement, neither offering any evidence to support their claim.

CALTECH wrote:
It has MCAS....

Pudelhund wrote:
You are in luck because the -10 doesn’t have MCAS.

So which is it? :banghead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TheWorm123

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 am

Aviation737 wrote:
Wow some people are really salty about the 737 and Boeing

Well the MAX did keep killing its passengers, and let’s not forget the rudder issues. You’re obviously biased just by your username.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

juliuswong

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Folks, please stick to the topic. Any discussion on MAX crashes please refer to main thread on same topic.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

DL747400

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Pudelhund wrote:

Can you provide a source for this statement?

I'm asking because there are a few posters upstream in this same thread who have said that the 737-10 MAX does indeed have MCAS.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

DL747400

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:21 pm

I find it more than a little bit surprising that Boeing placed "737-MAX" titles on the -10s winglet, though it does appear that they may be subtly trying to downplay that through the use of pale gray paint. I wonder how many of the carriers who have ordered the 737-10 MAX are going to specifically ask that no MAX titles be applied to their aircraft?

From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:29 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
First, for umpteenth time, it’s an amended TC, nothing is grandfathered. Second, the 707 is a different type certificate from the 727 or 737. Amateurs may be otherwise, but they’re different.

GF

Semantics! It’s launched as if it’s a new plane but gets to use some rules from the 60’s and certificated to standards not acceptable if it were designed today. Call it whatever you want.

Fred

Engineering is about accuracy, “grandfathering” and confusing TCs is anything but accurate.

Revelation

Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 pm

DL747400 wrote:
I find it more than a little bit surprising that Boeing placed "737-MAX" titles on the -10s winglet, though it does appear that they may be subtly trying to downplay that through the use of pale gray paint. I wonder how many of the carriers who have ordered the 737-10 MAX are going to specifically ask that no MAX titles be applied to their aircraft?

As already said on this thread, the aircraft's use of color is consistent with the family wide livery update, see earlier links.

Within the livery they could have chosen to use "737" instead of "737 MAX" but clearly they left it in not just on the winglet but also on the nose.

I don't think people should read too much in to this one way or the other.

This event was for the people who worked on the -10, this was not a media event.

I'm confident we'll get a more definitive statement at some point in the future.

And of course airline customers can paint whatever they want onto their aircraft.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

JetBuddy

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm

rbavfan wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
This should be a really great transcontinental aircraft. Plenty of space for various configurations. Enough range for any coast to coast route. I think that's where this aircraft will shine.

I don't think we'll see it used much on sub 1000nm routes. The reason is that the long fuselage makes the boarding / deboarding process longer. Which matters less if it's flying longer routes.

Wish you a long and prosperous future, Boeing 737-10.

No it does not. At MDW, DAL if a plane takes longer to load no matter the distance it will cut the number of flights/gate/day.

You're missing the point.

If you're flying 8 legs a day, and boarding/ deboarding time takes X amount of minutes, the aircraft will spend more of it's day boarding/ deboarding than if the same aircraft flies 3-4 legs per day.

kalvado

Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:33 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:
This should be a really great transcontinental aircraft. Plenty of space for various configurations. Enough range for any coast to coast route. I think that's where this aircraft will shine.

I don't think we'll see it used much on sub 1000nm routes. The reason is that the long fuselage makes the boarding / deboarding process longer. Which matters less if it's flying longer routes.

No it does not. At MDW, DAL if a plane takes longer to load no matter the distance it will cut the number of flights/gate/day.

If you're flying 8 legs a day, and boarding/ deboarding time takes X amount of minutes, the aircraft will spend more of it's day boarding/ deboarding than if the same aircraft flies 3-4 legs per day.

Same thing, more aircraft, Gates and crew are required to fly same schedule. Payback may be less flights for same seat capacity, so things somewhat balance out. There maybe fewer flights per gate, but possibly more pax per gate at the same time

JannEejit

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 pm

lightsaber wrote:
DenverTed wrote:
It's a two engine 720.

:rotfl:

Funny, but true. What does it say about me that I understood that statement fully.

Lightsaber

Same here, a while ago I put a 720 model and a 739 of same scale, side by side and they were virtually the same length.

JannEejit

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:11 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

These things still have rear door don't they ? Much faster deplaning If my recent experiences with easyJet are anything to go by ? Of course if everyone expects an airbridge nowadays then we have a problem.

FriscoHeavy

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:59 pm

rbavfan wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
flee wrote:
The 737-9 is already a slow seller - how many extra new sales will the new gear bring to justify the additional testing/certification costs for a revised undercarriage? Boeing will probably ask customers to order the 737-10 instead.

Southwest is a big customer. The 737-10 MAX is too large to work for WN at MDW due to the short runways. A 737-9 with taller landing gear could allow better runway performance, a higher takeoff weight, and range for the 737-9. With 200 seats it would maximize the number of passengers 4 flight attendants could serve. It could also allow 200 seats between the west coast and Hawaii.

Southwest would need the new landing gear on the -8 to allow flights from midway to any airport. Currently the -800/8 has range limits due to the short runways.

Sorry bud, that’s completely inaccurate.

The standard 738 can easily operate out of MDW and do so to the west coast.

The SFP isn’t needed, but would certainly help.

The MAX-8 has better performance than the -800NG.

No longer landing gear needed.
Whatever

reltney

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:43 am

DeltaConnection wrote:
Yuck.

Bring back the 757 please.

Yes indeed. 757 is no doubt a better plane. Ironically, they have the same fuselage . Will Boeing crawl out of the hole and see the light ?
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Strato2

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:21 am

DL747400 wrote:

It's called Fade out. Expect it to completely disappear in the near future.

estorilm

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Revelation wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

As already said on this thread, the aircraft's use of color is consistent with the family wide livery update, see earlier links.

Within the livery they could have chosen to use "737" instead of "737 MAX" but clearly they left it in not just on the winglet but also on the nose.

I don't think people should read too much in to this one way or the other.

This event was for the people who worked on the -10, this was not a media event.

I'm confident we'll get a more definitive statement at some point in the future.

And of course airline customers can paint whatever they want onto their aircraft.

Eh I think it's a bit of both, you bring up valid points - but they're definitely not trying to draw attention to the title as well. Contrast this with the giant "NEO" plastered all over everything Airbus is doing right now.

If it was a valuable trademark or title, the company would be leveraging it to the fullest extent. For Airbus as a marketing term - it's synonymous with a new era, efficiency, commonality, new routes, ranges, expanded payloads/MTOW. It's an incredibly valuable title that BOTH airlines were supposed to be pitting directly against each other to sell aircraft and be competitive moving forward. For Boeing, 'MAX' is that title, and they're hardly dusting a shadow of the name onto the winglets. I think it's a fair observation actually, regardless of their past liveries - they should be leveraging the "MAX" title as the future of Boeing NB's. That's absolutely no longer the case.

Spacepope

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:20 pm

reltney wrote:
DeltaConnection wrote:
Yuck.

Bring back the 757 please.

Yes indeed. 757 is no doubt a better plane. Ironically, they have the same fuselage . Will Boeing crawl out of the hole and see the light ?

No, they don’t have the same fuselage. They have the same cross section depending on where you are in the fuselage (the 757s changes from front to aft of the wings) but parts aren’t interchangeable.
The last of the famous international playboys

flyboy80

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:20 pm

So the -10 sits up higher on the main gear than the other MAX due to levered gear, correct? I recall reading the MAX fwd landing gear minimum height is a few inches greater than the NG. Are there any modifications to the slide sizes on the main cabin doors being this plane is higher off the ground? Also, engine thrust is the same at the -9MAX?

flipdewaf

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:25 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
So the -10 sits up higher on the main gear than the other MAX due to levered gear, correct? I recall reading the MAX fwd landing gear minimum height is a few inches greater than the NG. Are there any modifications to the slide sizes on the main cabin doors being this plane is higher off the ground? Also, engine thrust is the same at the -9MAX?

The -10 sits the same height above the ground on the tarmac and only raises mid rotation. If you google “max 10 gear” you’ll find some videos no doubt.

Fred

JetBuddy

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 pm

flyboy80 wrote:

No, it's the same height as the others. But the gear sits further back, improving ground clearance when rotating. The gear fits into the same wheel wells as the other 737s, so it's an interesting bit of engineering.

I don't believe there are any mods to the slides, since it sits the same height as the others.

And thrust rating is the same as the -9.

emre787
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:37 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

The -10 sits the same height above the ground on the tarmac and only raises mid rotation. If you google “max 10 gear” you’ll find some videos no doubt.

Fred

Here's the video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4IGl4OizM4

andz

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 pm

Looks stunning. I was on the last MAX flight in South Africa before the grounding (BA6240, 10 March 2019 PLZ-JNB)

Oykie wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
DenverTed wrote:
It's a two engine 720.

:rotfl:

Funny, but true. What does it say about me that I understood that statement fully.

Lightsaber

It says experienced ;-)

I flew on an Air Rhodesia 720, if you are experienced what does that make me?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

flee

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:22 am

JetBuddy wrote:
The gear fits into the same wheel wells as the other 737s, so it's an interesting bit of engineering.

I don't believe there are any mods to the slides, since it sits the same height as the others.

And thrust rating is the same as the -9.

Engine thrust is unchanged - I wonder what the field performance will be like for the 10 Max. With the improved main gear, it should be equal to that of the 9 Max, right?

iamlucky13

Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:00 am

DL747400 wrote:
I wonder how many of the carriers who have ordered the 737-10 MAX are going to specifically ask that no MAX titles be applied to their aircraft?

From a brief check of the database, it doesn't look like many have MAX written on the aircraft anyways, or when they do, it is small and subtle (see the Norwegian example).

planecane

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:06 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:
I wonder how many of the carriers who have ordered the 737-10 MAX are going to specifically ask that no MAX titles be applied to their aircraft?

From a brief check of the database, it doesn't look like many have MAX written on the aircraft anyways, or when they do, it is small and subtle (see the Norwegian example).

I don't know if it is the angle or they only had them on some but Southwest definitely had "MAX" painted on the lower part of the nose of at least 2 MAX 8s. I flew on one and saw another at a gate.

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:48 am

Looks beautiful. Long, sleek, elegant. Can't wait to see it flying.

FluidFlow

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:09 am

flipdewaf wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

Fred

What if it does not raise, or only on one side?

Relative to other problems, the gears tend to fail quiet often (and this is model or manufacturer independent). From not retracting to collapsing, there is a lot that can go wrong. On top of that they get worked hard and hard landings are not uncommon.

Will the MAX-10 gears have to be checked more often, especially after harder landings?

flipdewaf

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:16 am

FluidFlow wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
flyboy80 wrote:

Fred

Relative to other problems, the gears tend to fail quiet often (and this is model or manufacturer independent). From not retracting to collapsing, there is a lot that can go wrong. On top of that they get worked hard and hard landings are not uncommon.

Will the MAX-10 gears have to be checked more often, especially after harder landings?

My understanding is that its a passive system, effectively an airbag inflated to a given pressure driving a secondary oleo, When the wing increase AoA and so the lift increases during rotation the secondary oleo in unloaded and begins to extend and and this process continues till the oleo is fully extended (I cant remember the max (no pun intended) extension. The only mechanical parts are the additional moving parts when the gear is retracted and extended to make sure the additional oleo is capable of fitting in the the wheel wells. The critical piece of the design is pretty fool proof it seems.

As a piece of problem solving I like it a lot because it manages to deal with a very complex set of constraints without a lot of complexity in the risky areas, the guys that worked on that were clearly working at a level of whole aircraft rather than landing gear level to get the dynamics.

Fred

FluidFlow

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:21 am

flipdewaf wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

My understanding is that its a passive system, effectively an airbag inflated to a given pressure driving a secondary oleo, When the wing increase AoA and so the lift increases during rotation the secondary oleo in unloaded and begins to extend and and this process continues till the oleo is fully extended (I cant remember the max (no pun intended) extension. The only mechanical parts are the additional moving parts when the gear is retracted and extended to make sure the additional oleo is capable of fitting in the the wheel wells. The critical piece of the design is pretty fool proof it seems.

As a piece of problem solving I like it a lot because it manages to deal with a very complex set of constraints without a lot of complexity in the risky areas, the guys that worked on that were clearly working at a level of whole aircraft rather than landing gear level to get the dynamics.

Fred

Seems a really smart solution. So as long as the oleo stays intact nothing can happen as it is a passive system and a broken oleo should be noticed before take off as it would leak a lot of fluid on the tarmac.

flipdewaf

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:42 am

FluidFlow wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:

Fred

Seems a really smart solution. So as long as the oleo stays intact nothing can happen as it is a passive system and a broken oleo should be noticed before take off as it would leak a lot of fluid on the tarmac.

Sorry, I shouldn't have called it an additional oleo as I don't think it contains oil (as a damping mechanism anyway) it simply uses an un-dampened spring system (airbag type spring most likely). Not sure on how the pressure would be checked/maintained. It could be a coil spring... I'm not sure on the details...

Fred

glideslope

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:02 am

Sooner787 wrote:
I just checked Seattle Times website & didn't see story of the rollout posted yet.

Makes me wonder if the 777X first flight will occur without any prior public notice?

I would bet that to be the case. Expect flights to resume 2nd or 3rd week in Jan.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu

CALTECH

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:46 pm

scbriml wrote:
Airliners.net, don't you just love it? Two opposing "factual" statement, neither offering any evidence to support their claim.

CALTECH wrote:
It has MCAS....

Pudelhund wrote:

So which is it? :banghead:

MCAS is in all versions of the MAX, don't know why the statement was made that the -10 doesn't have it......

It is in the maintenance manual, read it the other day. 737-7/8/8200/9/10.....

All MAX versions have MCAS, but will it be called that after the fixes are made, is another question.
You are here.

patrickjp93

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:54 pm

Elementalism wrote:
The -100 is nearly 50 feet shorter compared to the MAX10. Think the engineers on the -100 project would had ever imagined this model growing to that size?

Is there an option for a door where there arent any windows forward of the engines? Be nice to be able to load this one like the 757.

Maybe that'll be Boeing's FSA: take the ORIGINAL 737 body, remake it in Al-Li to safe costs over CFRP, make the wings from CFRP, make the plane full FBW, and latest engines and call it a day.

Either that or just liquidate all of Embraer's staff minus the best engineers and redo the E2 175-195 since they're a sales disaster and at least Boeing has the scale to produce them more cheaply.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos