Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LPAspotter
Topic Author

New market for the Canary Islands

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Could it be possible that in the next couple of years, airlines from the US (Delta or American) or Canada (Air Transat or Air Canada Rouge) started flying to the Canary Islands, as this destination is quite similar to Hawaii or other destinations frequently visited by North American tourists.
Possibly not year round, but maybe during the summer season.

bhxalex

Re: New market for the Canary Islands

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:48 pm

No. There's zero premium demand and almost no demand full stop at the Canaries PoS.
Aside from the beaches and resorts, there's precious little else to do there or anywhere else within a few hours flying distance. Not to mention copius similar, cheaper places half the distance away from both sides of North America. If PMI & IBZ didn't require overflying half the European hubs then they might be candidates for limited NA service, but certainly not the Canaries.

Embajador3

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:52 pm

bhxalex wrote:
No. There's zero premium demand and almost no demand full stop at the canaries POS.
Aside from the beaches and resorts, there's precious little else to do there or anywhere else within a few hours flying distance. Not to mention copius similar, cheaper places half the distance away from both sides of North America.

I am sorry, but there are plenty of things to do at the Canary Islands. Each island offers different alternatives to just beaches and resorts. Perhaps, they need more advertising in the US/Canada, since most people from there never heard of them!
Flying Together

alfa164

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:08 am

At one time, there were nonstops to the Canaries - on Spanair, if I remember correctly - but those flights disappeared, along with that airline itself. The fact that no Spanish airline has has added flights to the USA (UX even has sort of a mini-hub in Tenerife) probably means no one thinks it would be profitable.

Embajador3 wrote:
I am sorry, but there are plenty of things to do at the Canary Islands. Each island offers different alternatives to just beaches and resorts. Perhaps, they need more advertising in the US/Canada, since most people from there never heard of them!

I cannot disagree about things to do - I particularly like visiting the old villages and towns in the mountains - but the the beaches are the real reason most tourists go there, and it would be a hard sell to Americans, who can find equal (or better) beaches in CUN, PUJ, or PLS.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

davidjohnson6

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:13 am

If the Canaries are to see transatlantic flights, it will likely be to east coast USA, somewhere along the Boston-Washington corridor

Can the Canaries compete with Florida and the Caribbean ? Would an airline choose to add a flight from NYC to a Caribbean island unserved from the USA instead ? Cuba has not been the vacation goldmine that US airlines had hoped for - demand seems to be based on Florida-Cuba instead of routes from all over the USA to Cuba. Norwegian tried flying from French Caribbean islands to NY - this didn't work out

I've been to 5 of the different Canary Islands over 10 trips - they're great for people from northern Europe in winter who want some sunshine, but a lot of advertising will be needed before transatlantic flights start. I imagine that the advertising cost to persuade 100 additional residents of Europe to visit the Canaries for a holiday is much much cheaper than it would cost to attract 100 Americans. The Spanish tourist aithorities probably know this and have little intention of spending a large quantity of money to persuade a small number of NY'ers to visit
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWorm123

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:14 am

The islands do sell themselves as being a gateway from South America to Africa and strong cultural links to South America.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

MIflyer12

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 am

Flight distance BOS-Gran Canaria puts all of Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean into play. That's a lot of competition. Iceland is unique. Can the Canaries offer that?

FCRO

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
The islands do sell themselves as being a gateway from South America to Africa and strong cultural links to South America.

Gateway?
I think the only recent flight from the canarias to South America was from a venezuelan airline
I am from South America
There is no cultural link between South America and canary island
Most of people never heard of them

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 am

bhxalex wrote:
There's zero premium demand and almost no demand full stop at the Canaries PoS.

But it wasn't always like that....

*Cough* Tenerife air disaster, 1977

In the foreground PH-BUF operating KL4805 from AMS, full of Dutch tourists heading for Gran Canaria

In the background N736PA Clipper Victor operating PA1736 from LAX & JFK, full or US tourists (mostly retired folks) heading for Gran Canaria.

There's also an unidentified DC-8 taxying in the far distance.

It's true I haven't seen much US metal at TFS or LPA in recent years, so maybe it's lost it's appeal?

(Thx as ever to Wikipedia.)
Nothing to see here; move along please.

MAH4546

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:24 am

The biggest Canary market from the States is Miami, and it’s driven by VFR, not tourism. It was served by Air Europa around 2009/2010. At the time Air Europa only flew MIA-TFN, not MIA-MAD.
a.

TheWorm123

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:29 am

FCRO wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

Gateway?
I think the only recent flight from the canarias to South America was from a venezuelan airline
I am from South America

This describes it better than I can.

https://amateurtraveler.com/discovering ... -tenerife/

And they do advertise it in Tenerife yes.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

airbazar

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:52 am

IMO the answer is no, there won't be any non-stop service on a North American carrier any time soon and here's why. The Canaries are predominantly a Summer destination. They are not far enough South to even be competitive with the Caribbean for Winter tourists, and in the Summer all the TATL attention is on Continental Europe.
Yes there is more than just beaches in the Canaries, but beaches is the reason why most people travel there. One need only to look at the Azores which are much closer, much cheaper, actually have a VFR market, but Americans don't really go there. Maybe TAP's new service will change that but I doubt it.
In 2009 Air Europa tried a Madrid-Tenerife-Miami route. It didn't so so well.
viewtopic.php?t=967819

OGLOBAL

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:53 am

FCRO wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

Gateway?
I am from South America

there are lots of south americans living in canary islands . and lots of spaniard in canaries have latin origin even their accent is very similar to colombian or venezuelan accent

M564038

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:23 am

So the canaries even want or have room for more tourists? There is severe backlash against tourism in large parts of sothern europe.

a350lover

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:18 am

I see potential for flights Canaries-MIA, and of course for flights Canaries-CCS. These should be the first non-stop flights to America from the Canaries.

tobsw

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:18 am

Canary Islands is a "winter-sun" destination fro Northern Europe. In summer, it's a main destination for mainland Spaniards (it's low season for northern tourists).

NOW, back to the topic. It's a fact that the Canary Islands is special. It's fragmented (8 islands), and this doesn't help. Where should American airlines (AA, DL,...) begin? However, the reason is that all main islands are accessible one-stop from the east and west coast (JFK, BOS, ORD, PHL, DFW, LAX, SFO (In summer), MIA) with IB and AA. That's the reason why AA puts its code on IB flights from MAD to the Canary Islands.

To finish, the Canary Islands are, form the USA point of view, a niche tourist destination. Usually culturally rich Americans know about them, and if they want to go for their unique traits (rather than beaches), they will go (=they have the means to go). It's not a tourist destinations for the masses.

upperdeckfan

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 am

Venezuelan diaspora could easily support TFN-CCS, has been flown in the past by Viasa, S3 and IB. It's a heavy VFR market thus probably appealing for a future LCC european carrier or a subisidzed local carrier like Binter. Keep in mind that now it could be served by narrowbodies which was not the case in the past. And of course, environment in Venezuela must need to change before any of this can happen.

Reagarding US potential, as great as destination the Canaries are, unfortunately can't compete with Caribbean. First of all Canaries are more expensive on average (euro vs. USD or local currency in most of caribbean islands), winter weather is not 100% guaranteed to be warm enough to comfortably get in the water and last but not least is the location which is much farther for most of US markets. On the other hand, Canaries authorities have never been interested in advertising the islands in the US markets, I guess they have more than enough with the european demand.

I recall UX experience on MAD-TFN, it didn't last more than a year and it was only 1 or 2x weekly at the most.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

jamsco99

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 am

Why would people fly 7-8 hours for tacky 1960s holiday resorts?

Kadish

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:16 am

jamsco99 wrote:

Either you hevent been in the Canaries or you dont know what tacky means......

tobsw

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:30 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
Venezuelan diaspora could easily support TFN-CCS, has been flown in the past by Viasa, S3 and IB. It's a heavy VFR market thus probably appealing for a future LCC european carrier or a subisidzed local carrier like Binter. Keep in mind that now it could be served by narrowbodies which was not the case in the past. And of course, environment in Venezuela must need to change before any of this can happen.

Air Plus Ultra flies 1x week between TFN and CCS.

pipeafcr

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:30 am

FCRO wrote:
TheWorm123 wrote:

Gateway?
I am from South America

You're wrong. So so many Canarians migrated to the northern part of South America in the era and that's why there are flights to CCS. Additionally, the airline that connects Tenerife to Caracas is a Spanish airline and they have been in that market for years.
Felipe Carrillo

sevenair

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:39 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
bhxalex wrote:
There's zero premium demand and almost no demand full stop at the Canaries PoS.

But it wasn't always like that....

*Cough* Tenerife air disaster, 1977

In the foreground PH-BUF operating KL4805 from AMS, full of Dutch tourists heading for Gran Canaria

In the background N736PA Clipper Victor operating PA1736 from LAX & JFK, full or US tourists (mostly retired folks) heading for Gran Canaria.

There's also an unidentified DC-8 taxying in the far distance.

It's true I haven't seen much US metal at TFS or LPA in recent years, so maybe it's lost it's appeal?

(Thx as ever to Wikipedia.)

I'm fairly sure the PanAm passengers were only connecting to a cruise ship and not Gran Canaria.

Having recently been I don't see the appeal to the islands. La Palma is beautiful, but the rest are full of cheap nasty winter sun seeking northern Europeans. The USA has way more beautiful places on their doorstep without the need to fly long haul or even have a passport.

jamsco99

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 am

jamsco99 wrote:

I've been twice.
In tenerife we struggled to find a spanish restaurant, they were all english food. Theres nothing cultural there and the towns are all resorts that have been planned with shopping centres the focal point of the town. Lots or lookie lookie men too

seahawk

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am

If US tourists become a significant factor, it would chase away a lot of the European tourists. (very different demands and most likely rising prices)

peterinlisbon

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am

I don't think there would be a large enough volume of traffic and what there is already goes through Madrid or London. But perhaps an American carrier could make it work with a single flight to their hub, offering connections to all over the USA.

A disadvantage that the Canary Islands have is that they are fragmented - there are 7 different islands with their own airports, so whichever island an airline chooses the passengers for all of the other islands would have to take another connecting flight, so they might as well fly via Madrid and connect there.

marcogr12

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:47 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
I don't think there would be a large enough volume of traffic and what there is already goes through Madrid or London. But perhaps an American carrier could make it work with a single flight to their hub, offering connections to all over the USA.

A disadvantage that the Canary Islands have is that they are fragmented - there are 7 different islands with their own airports, so whichever island an airline chooses the passengers for all of the other islands would have to take another connecting flight, so they might as well fly via Madrid and connect there.

They don't need a connecting flight..Binter Canarias flies directly between the Canary Islands..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

LPAspotter
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:53 am

To be honest there is a significant number of American tourists arriving to the Canary Islands, for example in 2018 nearly 40,000 American tourists visited the Canary Islands.

Joelatbsl

Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:07 pm

LPAspotter wrote:
To be honest there is a significant number of American tourists arriving to the Canary Islands, for example in 2018 nearly 40,000 American tourists visited the Canary Islands.

Don't you think that the numerous feeders from and to Madrid cater for that need? I would severely doubt that a longhaul carrier could make anything out of any US-Canaries flight. For starters, you would have to define a departure point the U.S. (New York, Boston, Miami?). Then you may have to concentrate on one point of arrival (Tenerife? Gran Canaria?). Way easier to do this via Madrid and other hubs ...

JOEL

ACCS300

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:09 pm

As a Canadian I love the Canaries, been 3x and to 3 islands, having lived in Europe I absolutely love a place devoid of North American tourists, makes for a very difference experience that I can find in Mexico, Hawaii or the Caribbean. Really hope that doesn't change and don't think it will, if North Americans are going to commit to Europe and deal with long haul flights, mainland Europe is far too much of a draw while the Canaries are pretty much off-the-radar.

airbazar

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:30 pm

LPAspotter wrote:

The majority of those probably already live in Europe.
Those numbers usually come from hotel check-ins where you have to show your passport.

upperdeckfan

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:31 pm

I forgot to mention that DL is discontinuing JFK-AGP next summer, it has been the only US-Spain non-stop outside of MAD/BCN for years. EWR-SVQ by UA was announced for next summer although it doesn't seem to be up for sale yet.

If Malaga could not sustain a summer seasonal JFK nonetheless Tenerife or Las Palmas.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

TC957

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:59 pm

I think it will take a big marketing push by the Canary island's tourism associations, held in conjunction with an airline, to promote the islands to US tourism. Clearly, they haven't done so as forecast returns in increased US visitor numbers won't cover the expenditure. So let's leave the islands for us Europeans to enjoy !

Galwayman

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:03 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
As a Canadian I love the Canaries, been 3x and to 3 islands, having lived in Europe I absolutely love a place devoid of North American tourists, makes for a very difference experience that I can find in Mexico, Hawaii or the Caribbean. Really hope that doesn't change and don't think it will, if North Americans are going to commit to Europe and deal with long haul flights, mainland Europe is far too much of a draw while the Canaries are pretty much off-the-radar.

Completely agree , let’s keep it special

dfw88

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:40 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
I forgot to mention that DL is discontinuing JFK-AGP next summer, it has been the only US-Spain non-stop outside of MAD/BCN for years. EWR-SVQ by UA was announced for next summer although it doesn't seem to be up for sale yet.

If Malaga could not sustain a summer seasonal JFK nonetheless Tenerife or Las Palmas.

EWR-SVQ by UA was never announced. It was rumored on A.net, among other places, but never mentioned or announced by UA. So don't expect it to go on sale.

professorpryor

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:50 pm

bhxalex wrote:
No. There's zero premium demand and almost no demand full stop at the Canaries PoS.
Aside from the beaches and resorts, there's precious little else to do there or anywhere else within a few hours flying distance. Not to mention copius similar, cheaper places half the distance away from both sides of North America. If PMI & IBZ didn't require overflying half the European hubs then they might be candidates for limited NA service, but certainly not the Canaries.

OTOH - With Cape Verde as a new destination from Washington-Dulles, nothing is impossible.

ro1960

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Kadish wrote:
jamsco99 wrote:

@ jamsco99:
Some resorts do show their age but the new ones ones are rather upscale like this one:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XiL7ZH3NTddVG5XB7

Please visit Google before posting.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

ro1960

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:14 pm

airbazar wrote:
IMO the answer is no, there won't be any non-stop service on a North American carrier any time soon and here's why. The Canaries are predominantly a Summer destination.

Wrong. The Canary Islands and particularly Gran Canaria is a year-round destination with peaks between October and March. Temperature is in the 25-30°C most of the time. See LPA traffic figures here:

https://airportgrancanaria.com/statistics/
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

lesfalls

Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 pm

tobsw wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:

Air Plus Ultra flies 1x week between TFN and CCS.

How is it doing then? Pity that they don't sell the MAD-TFN sector.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

tphuang

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:16 pm

This will totally work on a smaller plane in summer season from nyc. I would totally chose Canary's over Caribbean islands. The later is so boring.

LPAspotter
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:39 pm

tphuang wrote:
This will totally work on a smaller plane in summer season from nyc. I would totally chose Canary's over Caribbean islands. The later is so boring.

Yeah I definitely see American or Delta opperating their A321 NEOs from JFK or BOS.

jamsco99

Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Kadish wrote:
jamsco99 wrote:

@ jamsco99:
Some resorts do show their age but the new ones ones are rather upscale like this one:

https://images.app.goo.gl/XiL7ZH3NTddVG5XB7

Please visit Google before posting.

I prefer to visit the actual place not Google

usdcaguy

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Love how argumentative and contentious this posting is. As an American, I think Gran Canaria is wonderful. You get great deals on hotels, decent nightlife and very nice scenery. Love the narrow, scenic bus rides around the island and the small villages to explore. The main advantage vs the Caribbean and Hawaii is that the hotels and food are cheap but you get to spend your vacation in a developed, European country with none of the inconveniences of less developed places. Services in Spain are often more plentiful than in the US. Most people don’t get this and simply hop on a cruise or visit some resort in Jamaica, but they aren’t getting to experience a very unique place. I think a carrier could try maybe a thrice weekly flight JFK-LPA October to April when equipment is more available. It would sure beat leaving LPA either in the middle of the night to return to the States or lugging baggage out of the Barajas airport to overnight in MAD on the way home.

Joelatbsl

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:52 pm

But still, the prices an airline would have to charge even on the A321neo would almost be prohibitive unless they can unearth a massive nest of high-rollers. Plus you still have that issue with the several islands, unless all these American tourists assemble on Gran Canaria for the reasons mentioned above ...

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 am

jamsco99 wrote:
jamsco99 wrote:

I've been twice.
In tenerife we struggled to find a spanish restaurant, they were all english food. Theres nothing cultural there and the towns are all resorts that have been planned with shopping centres the focal point of the town. Lots or lookie lookie men too

Yes, there are a lot of restaurants serving English food to english tourists, and german beer to german tourists, and Irish pubs for the Irish, and, and, and.....
So you're not wrong. And it's tragic, but if that's what the tourists want, that's what the tourists get, and the locals laugh all the way to the bank.

But here's the thing; the locals don't visit these places - they have their own establishments, usually some distance from the resorts.

The trick is to do your research and find the real Tenerife. And be prepared to eat at what might seem like strange hours.

My favorite lunchtime fish restaurant is closed until 2pm with the shutters down as if the owners are holiday. At 2:15pm you sit there all alone wondering if you've made a mistake, but around 2:30pm it suddenly starts to fill up with Spanish families and business people. Lunch starts at 3pm, there's no menu, and the waiters don't speak any English. It's glorious. :bigthumbsup:

My favorite evening restaurant will produce a dusty old menu if you absolutely insist. Otherwise they expect you to know what you want before you even sit down, which is invariably either garlic chicken or pollo piquante. with patatas bravas or chips, a big plate of ensalada, and a house wine to die for, which comes out of an unlabelled barrel sitting on the bar. There's only one waiter, who is at least 100 years old, and he runs around like Usain Bolt.

Thank goodness neither of them ever gets mentioned on tripadvisor. :lol:

But you are also correct that there is no real reason for US tourists to cross the Atlantic.... when they have Cuba right on their doorstep. :duck:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

peterinlisbon

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:33 am

marcogr12 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

They don't need a connecting flight..Binter Canarias flies directly between the Canary Islands..

That's my point. If I wanted to go from New York to Lanzarote, a direct flight to one of the other Canary Islands wouldn't make any difference. I can already get there with one connection in Madrid.

asuflyer05

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 am

I vacationed on Gran Canaria 2 years ago. I had an incredible time. Playa Del Ingles/Maspalomas/Meloneras reminded me a bit of Honolulu. The touristy area appears to have been struck by an anti-charm missile but once you get outside PDI the island is down right beautiful. Cute towns to explore such as Mogan and Agaete. Great infrastructure, low prices and I felt safe 100% of the time I was there. I can't say that for my last few trips to the Caribbean and Mexico.

While a non-stop from the US to LPA would be great, now that we have IB serving IAD-MAD it's pretty easy for me to get to the Canaries.

marcogr12

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

That's my point. If I wanted to go from New York to Lanzarote, a direct flight to one of the other Canary Islands wouldn't make any difference. I can already get there with one connection in Madrid.

Not if you want to combine many islands in one trip..Madrid flights to Canaries are a 3h flight..Intercanarian flights are 30-45'...Why would want to change and change again planes in Madrid? Unless you are an avgeek, the average passenger would prefer a direct flight to LPA or TFS and then do island-hopping..But i do agree that americans would prefer MIA or the Carribean which is much closer..If you wanna compare it to Hawaii though it's another thing, since East Coast flights take about 10h to HNL and Hawaii is terribly expensive..So maybe,just maybe, a NY-Canaries wouldn't seem so outrageous for americans
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Boeing74741R

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:37 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:
I vacationed on Gran Canaria 2 years ago. I had an incredible time. Playa Del Ingles/Maspalomas/Meloneras reminded me a bit of Honolulu. The touristy area appears to have been struck by an anti-charm missile but once you get outside PDI the island is down right beautiful. Cute towns to explore such as Mogan and Agaete. Great infrastructure, low prices and I felt safe 100% of the time I was there. I can't say that for my last few trips to the Caribbean and Mexico.

While a non-stop from the US to LPA would be great, now that we have IB serving IAD-MAD it's pretty easy for me to get to the Canaries.

Some of those touristy places were built in the 60's, 70's and 80's when folk from northern European countries started flocking to the Canary Islands (mainly the bigger ones of Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura) on package holidays. There are a number of other touristy places across Spain and the Canaries/Balearics that aren't too dissimilar in terms of age and showing it. I haven't been to Gran Canaria for 13 years, though I look at images of places such as Puerto Rico and apart from signage outside shops/restaurants/bars in the main shopping centre and the odd hotel, the place appears to have barely changed since the first and last times I went there. I guess a total bulldoze/rebuild won't happen unless demand drops and there's pressure to reinvent themselves, though some places elsewhere have cropped up in more recent years such as Amadores and Taurito.

Agree though that Gran Canaria is a nice place once you get out of the tourist resorts.I also quite liked Lanzarote the one time I went there nearly 15 years ago. Not as overdeveloped like its other neighbours and I think some local legislation regarding building heights helps so tall skyrise hotels barely exist.

In any case, one reason why the Canaries are popular is that for European holidaymakers it's one of the few short-haul destinations that are guaranteed warm weather all year round. Most other places such as the Balearic Islands that are within a shorter flying time from countries such as the UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden etc. aren't that warm in winter and some places effectively "shut down" from late-October to late-March and direct flights to some places are seasonal, such is the reliance on tourism in some places, so it's an attractive option for those seeking some winter sun in particular and is also popular in the summer months.

Whether the Canaries can be sold to the American market when domestic or Caribbean Sea-based options exist that are within a shorter flying time is another question, though it's worth pointing out that the Canaries aren't prone to hurricanes.

Pyrex

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:12 pm

Man, this thread is classic A.net. Armchair CEOs wondering (for the umpteenth time in one year) why a route who stands no chance of commercial success does not exist, rampant anti-U.S. xenophobia, someone claiming island X is ideally suited to be a mega-hub between Y and Z. All this is missing is a little A vs B and this could be A.net in a nutshell.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

peterinlisbon

Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Not if you want to combine many islands in one trip..Madrid flights to Canaries are a 3h flight..Intercanarian flights are 30-45'...Why would want to change and change again planes in Madrid? Unless you are an avgeek, the average passenger would prefer a direct flight to LPA or TFS and then do island-hopping..But i do agree that americans would prefer MIA or the Carribean which is much closer..If you wanna compare it to Hawaii though it's another thing, since East Coast flights take about 10h to HNL and Hawaii is terribly expensive..So maybe,just maybe, a NY-Canaries wouldn't seem so outrageous for americans

That's true if you want to visit several islands, including whichever one you first have to land at. However, you could already do an open jaw via Madrid and I think a lot of people just choose one and fly in and out of there rather than travelling between islands. I went once to Tenerife and once to Lanzarote and in both cases I flew there directly and flew back from the same place nonstop. Maybe Americans would have different travel patterns than people from Europe given that the distance is much greater. But then, that could mean that they might actually like to stop in mainland Spain and have some time there as well.

Actually I would highly recommend the Canary Islands - each one is different and has many interesting things to see, not just beaches but also volcanoes, underground caves and unusual scenery. It's a good idea to rent a car to get around, which is another reason why you kind of best to choose an island as each one has enough to see for a week.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos