Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RCS763AV
Topic Author

RUMOR: Avianca to CDG in 2020

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 am

According to Colombian aviation blog Torreeldorado, Avianca will re-launch flights from Bogota to Paris CDG in the second half of 2020, 4x weekly on the 787-8:

https://torreeldorado.co/avianca-planea-vuelos-bogota-paris/

This marks the return to Paris after an 18 or 19 year absence from the market (it was cut in either 2001 or 2002, when it was served by the B767-200ER).

Amazing news and a very logical add now that they're focused on international and long-haul expansion!

Traffic between France and Colombia is very strong with AF getting load factors well above 90% year-round and charging astronomical fares (they are the most expensive option to Europe almost all the time). Currently, AF operates BOG-CDG daily on B787-9.

No official statement from the company has been released.

goldorak

Re: RUMOR: Avianca to CDG in 2020

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:11 pm

would be a logical move. I have always wondered why they were not serving CDG for such a long time.

ikolkyo

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:18 pm

I’m surprised they were away from this route for so long, honestly I thought they were on it this entire time.

jfk777

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:30 pm

Logical if their financial house is in order, given the recent events at AV is this the time for some European Adventurism ? United gave them a huge loan which as far as I can tell was Efronowich seems to have taken the money and left Avianca holding the bag ? IF AV has the UA money I would love to know if anyone can add what happened to the United money please share.

Slash787

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
I’m surprised they were away from this route for so long, honestly I thought they were on it this entire time.

It is indeed surprising, even I thought they were serving CDG.

Summa767

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Logical if their financial house is in order, given the recent events at AV is this the time for some European Adventurism ? United gave them a huge loan which as far as I can tell was Efronowich seems to have taken the money and left Avianca holding the bag ? IF AV has the UA money I would love to know if anyone can add what happened to the United money please share.

Actually, it's not clear that the LOAN from UA and Roberto Kriete's Kingsland (TACA) has been made effective. In any case it's working capital needed given that AV has lost a lot of money of late and is having to spend some with increasing maintenance costs of older aircraft being readied as they are returned to lessors or sold. Money is also needed to execute the restructuring -from redundancy payments to densification of aircraft (A320s going from the very comfortable 150 seats to the very standard 174 -at least for those used in shorter sectors).

Regarding the long haul fleet, it will be interesting to see if the fleet is reduced overall (A330s leaving?) and whether the 787-9 arrive. That would be better aircraft for LHR which seems to be great success.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 pm

jfk777 wrote:

That's not what happenned. As has been pointed out, UA gave an initial loan to Synergy with AV's stock as security. After Efromovich failed to comply with his loan payments, UA effectively took control of AV via Kingsland (as they can't directly take control due to their union contracts), as his shares were pignorated to UA.

After that operation was done, Kingsland and UA gave another loan to AV so they could have working capital for their restructuring, only after they were able to re-profile their debt. Such loan is convertible to AV stock, in case they decide to effectively buy the shares from Synergy.

AV is printing money in Europe. Even the BOG-MUC route which was launched very recently and according to inside sources without much preparation (an Efromovich vanity project) survived the recent cutbacks. AV is making BOG the andean region's hub to Europe. It makes perfect sense under their strategy of focusing on more profitable international and long haul routes.

If this materializes the AV network to Europe will be the most impressive in the airline's history. Only LATAM would surpass them in the region regarding European connectivity, with AM coming in very close at third.

21x weekly BOG-MAD
7-10x weekly BOG-BCN depending on season
7x weekly BOG-LHR
6x weekly CLO-MAD
4x weekly BOG-MUC
4x weekly BOG-CDG
3x weekly MDE-MAD

jfk777

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:25 am

RCS763AV wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

That's not what happenned. As has been pointed out, UA gave an initial loan to Synergy with AV's stock as security. After Efromovich failed to comply with his loan payments, UA effectively took control of AV via Kingsland (as they can't directly take control due to their union contracts), as his shares were pignorated to UA.

After that operation was done, Kingsland and UA gave another loan to AV so they could have working capital for their restructuring, only after they were able to re-profile their debt. Such loan is convertible to AV stock, in case they decide to effectively buy the shares from Synergy.

AV is printing money in Europe. Even the BOG-MUC route which was launched very recently and according to inside sources without much preparation (an Efromovich vanity project) survived the recent cutbacks. AV is making BOG the andean region's hub to Europe. It makes perfect sense under their strategy of focusing on more profitable international and long haul routes.

If this materializes the AV network to Europe will be the most impressive in the airline's history. Only LATAM would surpass them in the region regarding European connectivity, with AM coming in very close at third.

21x weekly BOG-MAD
7-10x weekly BOG-BCN depending on season
7x weekly BOG-LHR
6x weekly CLO-MAD
4x weekly BOG-MUC
4x weekly BOG-CDG
3x weekly MDE-MAD

What happened to the money United gave Synergy ? Does Efronowich have it ? It would seem if AV had it then UA would not have made a second loan to Avianca directly.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Efromovich doesn't have it, that is why he failed on his payments. Thus, UA took control of Efromovich's shares in Avianca Holdings. This deal has nothing to do with Avianca Holdings except that the shares that Synergy owned were used as collateral. But the deal was between UA and Synergy.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 am

Avianca has officially requested authority from Aerocivil (Colombian CAA) for four weekly frequencies to Paris CDG.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos