Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Sheikh Ahmed: Emirates still denied access to 'many cities'

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Emirates Group Chairman, has expressed his thoughts on the many cities that Emirates wants to operate to but is facing rejection from their respective countries.

According to the Chairman, some countries are denying access to the carrier because the local carrier is strong and influencing or facing opposition from the local government.

An example where the Government is opposing Emirates entry would be Germany, where Emirates is only entitled to serve four cities. Emirates have been clear that they would like to fly to Berlin.

An Example about where the local airline is strong would be Mexico. Emirates will be launching daily flights to Mexico City via Barcelona. Aero Mexico has filed a legal case against Emirates access to the city but Emirates has won the case.

Quote: “ That was a tough one. I mean the Mexicans they've been after us for the last five years. They're very keen,” Sheikh Ahmed said”

Emirates has also faced opposition in Nigeria, where the chairman of Airline operators of Nigeria, has saif that the government should restrict Emirates access to the country in order to protect the national carrier “Air Peace”

I think that the countries that are protecting their airlines is doing so because they want to preserve their airline’s market share against Emirates. Your thoughts?

Link: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... any-cities

gunnerman

Re: Sheikh Ahmed: Emirates still denied access to 'many cities'

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 pm

EK is heavily restricted by Canada as only YYZ is permitted (five times a week).

DL747400

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Crocodile tears. :shakehead:

Sounds like not all countries are stupid enough to throw open their airports and allow EK unrestricted access to their markets. It is much easier to simply deny EK access than it is to close the door and kick them to the curb once they’re already in. Until EK learns how to compete openly, fairly, and without government subsidies, let them remain on the outside wanting in.
Last edited by DL747400 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

TObound

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:46 pm

gunnerman wrote:
EK is heavily restricted by Canada as only YYZ is permitted (five times a week).

EK might have gotten more if they had pushed to operate to other cities. But if they got another 9 slots today, they'd simply go double daily to YYZ.

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:00 pm

International free trade - in services as well as goods - is negotiated, not a right. It sounds like he has a problem with failures by his government to attain the free access he wants. :)

kjeld0d

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:04 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Thanks for reminding us! Not every country is willing to throw their established air service into disarray by allowing a state-funded loss-making enterprise to dump capacity.

Whiteguy

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Incorrect, the airlines of both countries are limited by the flights per week not destinations or cities.

sonicruiser

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Sounds like a lot of airlines can’t compete with Emirates.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

OzarkD9S

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:09 pm

sonicruiser wrote:

Sounds like a lot of airlines can’t compete with Emirates.

Or, they don't want too. Dubai is a tourist/business spot and a major global hub but the O&D to/from DXB doesn't equate to a two airline route in many instances. So EK can fill all the demand lets say between BOS and DXB and all the connections onward, but DL isn't going to draw enough traffic from DXB to connect through BOS to fill a plane, so the feed is really one sided.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

smartplane

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:22 pm

DL747400 wrote:

Sounds like not all countries are stupid enough to throw open their airports and allow EK unrestricted access to their markets. It is much easier to simply deny EK access than it is to close the door and kick them to the curb once they’re already in. Until EK learns how to compete openly, fairly, and without government subsidies, let them remain on the outside wanting in.

Joint ventures to restrict supply / gouge prices are fantastic for airlines. But not so good for exporters, citizens and tourism. Keep out evil competition which reduces margins and shareholder dividends.

eicvd

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:10 am

No restrictions on adding a 3rd daily to DUB, c’mon EK you’ve applied for the slots at least...
COYBIB

qf2220

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:15 am

TObound wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

EK might have gotten more if they had pushed to operate to other cities. But if they got another 9 slots today, they'd simply go double daily to YYZ.

This is doable - here in Australia many of the ASAs are unlimited to most cities, with restrictions only on SYD, MEL, BNE, PER and sometimes ADL. But as you say, carriers are not overly interested in them and when they are (eg QR to CBR) its an obvious workaround to get to the main city (SYD).

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:35 am

Are they also restricted in the USA and most countries in Asia as well?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

Nicoeddf

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:53 am

That's what you get when you offer little but want the world...
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

hz747300

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 am

SQ789 wrote:
Are they also restricted in the USA and most countries in Asia as well?

Can't speak for all Asian markets, but they have 4x daily to HKG, generally 1 77W, 3 A380 (1 via BKK) and everytime I have flown them they are full. They are full, and no one is going to DXB. But they don't advertise that way in HKG, they advertise as a shortcut to 27 European Cities. When I flew them to BKK, everyone got off in BKK. As good as the EK experience is, I still believe it is up to local market to decide how much EK, or ME3, service they want to permit.
Keep on truckin'...

usdcaguy

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:38 am

I've flown EK in economy and was largely underwhelmed. I remember asking someone for some water, and they gave me the tiniest cup. Largely insufficient for flying the number of hours their itineraries require. They are not particularly cheap in business, and even in economy from the US, they are higher than many others. EK didn't so much as bring better service and fares into the US as they did siphon off passengers from the US3 and their European counterparts. The arrival of QR and EY dumped even more unnecessary capacity into the market. Though their load factors are now fine (QR and EY seemed to struggle with this for a while), the ME3 make it harder for other carriers to make a premium and pay their employees good wages. I'm not saying that they are subsidized to an extent that exceeds what the US government gives carriers in terms of airport infrastructure and services, but they do get things like subsidized loans, etc. from their governments that make it possible for them to expand. Meanwhile, the US3 have been incredibly slow to expand to the Middle East, Africa and the Indian subcontinent because of the ME3 (ME4 if you count TK). Open skies sound wonderful until they hurt one of your own.

vadodara

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 am

If EK was willing to stay with secondary cities, perhaps there would have been less resistance.

BER is an extreme example where LH does not want to serve but will prevent EK from expanding.

chidino

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 am

Emirates is arguing a dead horse. History shows that people will fly direct whenever possible. Once aircraft can tie together any city pair, the need for Dubai disappears.

tvarad

Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:42 am

Every country has one or more airlines, only Emirates Airlines has a country. That's the crux of the problem.

Fiend

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:50 am

chidino wrote:
Emirates is arguing a dead horse. History shows that people will fly direct whenever possible. Once aircraft can tie together any city pair, the need for Dubai disappears.

History shows most people will choose the cheapest option. And as long as Emirates offer a cheaper option than flying direct they will continue to exist.

I switched from flying with EK to QR as I prefer the easier transfer in Doha.
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

admanager

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:51 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
International free trade - in services as well as goods - is negotiated, not a right. It sounds like he has a problem with failures by his government to attain the free access he wants. :)

Thank you for a succinct answer.

thekorean

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:04 am

chidino wrote:

Keywords there being whenever possible.

Airlines like Emirates will always exist because there will always be a need for connecting flights.

OGLOBAL

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:21 am

usdcaguy wrote:
I've flown EK in economy and was largely underwhelmed. I remember asking someone for some water, and they gave me the tiniest cup. Largely insufficient for flying the number of hours their itineraries require. They are not particularly cheap in business, and even in economy from the US, they are higher than many others. EK didn't so much as bring better service and fares into the US as they did siphon off passengers from the US3 and their European counterparts. The arrival of QR and EY dumped even more unnecessary capacity into the market. Though their load factors are now fine (QR and EY seemed to struggle with this for a while), the ME3 make it harder for other carriers to make a premium and pay their employees good wages. I'm not saying that they are subsidized to an extent that exceeds what the US government gives carriers in terms of airport infrastructure and services, but they do get things like subsidized loans, etc. from their governments that make it possible for them to expand. Meanwhile, the US3 have been incredibly slow to expand to the Middle East, Africa and the Indian subcontinent because of the ME3 (ME4 if you count TK). Open skies sound wonderful until they hurt one of your own.

the same could be said about Delta and PANAM with their scissor hubs in Asia right ? oh wait but if it's a US company it's fine . double standards.

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 am

TObound wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Ek should try to fly to Buffalo and bus up the passengers to Toronto. Its being done right now in Seattle to Vancouver. Which Seattle to Vancouver drive time is about double what it would take for a bus to from Buffalo to Toronto. So if Emirates was really that desperate to get more flights that are closer to Toronto. It is doable.

chidino

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:08 am

thekorean wrote:
chidino wrote:

Airlines like Emirates will always exist because there will always be a need for connecting flights.

So QF is just wasting their time (and millions of dollars)? No offense, but welcome to 2020.

aeropix

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 am

Fiend wrote:
History shows that people will fly direct whenever possible.

chidino wrote:
History shows most people will choose the cheapest option.

Well, it looks like we have a debate about what the people really want, so I think hub airlines with lower fares will always have a competitive niche.

aeropix

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:56 am

qf2220 wrote:
ASAs are unlimited to most cities, with restrictions only on SYD, MEL, BNE, PER and sometimes ADL.

Ah, I see it's unlimited to most cities, with the exception of most cities.

KingOrGod

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 am

QR1350

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 am

chidino wrote:
thekorean wrote:
chidino wrote:

So QF is just wasting their time (and millions of dollars)? No offense, but welcome to 2020.

I don’t think they’re saying QF is wasting their time. LON-SYD is a huge market where people will pay to fly directly. I would suggest they meant (and I agree) that connecting flights will always be needed as I don’t think you’re ever going to get direct flights between, say, Colombo and Seattle (might be wrong, but I suspect that flight wouldn’t be profitable) and therefore Emirates will work as a connection. Just because direct routings will be possible between two city pairs doesn’t mean they will happen. And as people have said here, plenty of people will opt for a stopover on the LON-SYD route even if direct is offered. Of course, I’m sure we’ll see Emirates and Qantas one stop options, schedules and pricing adjusted to take into account the market after direct flights start. But connections will still have their place.

qf2220

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:08 am

aeropix wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
ASAs are unlimited to most cities, with restrictions only on SYD, MEL, BNE, PER and sometimes ADL.

Ah, I see it's unlimited to most cities, with the exception of most cities.

I think a more correct description is it is unlimited to most cities, except the biggest ones. Which i think will convey your point more clearly.

smartplane

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:24 am

hz747300 wrote:
As good as the EK experience is, I still believe it is up to local market to decide how much EK, or ME3, service they want to permit.

But it's not THE 'local market' that decides. It's the local airline or airlines that want to minimise competition and maximise margins.

smartplane

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:28 am

usdcaguy wrote:
Open skies sound wonderful until they hurt one of your own.

If your airlines have increased salaries, benefits and conditions at a similar rate as they have rewarded shareholders, that argument stands tall. But generally, rewards are rather narrow.

Closed or partly open skies harm local tourism and exporters. If you already have enough of both, keep your skies closed.

Waterbomber2

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:43 am

Well many people here are assuming that EK's success is based on low fares.
For a big part, it isn't because it can fill dozens of A380 business class seats and even first class with people who have direct flight options from their cities.

For instance, how do you explain the multiple daily A380's into the relatively small AMS where you have a very strong carrier that is heavily reliant on feed to sustain itself? Do you think that KLM would willingly forfeit their O&D to EK so they can spend more money feeding in pax?

The Dutch are frugal and want to save money, but is that the reason why dozens of Dutch choose EK over KLM on a daily basis, or is it because EK can offer something more that equates to value?

CHRISBA35X

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 am

YVR, YYC, TLV, BER, MEX, BOG, HNL. Struggling to see many more places they don't already serve that they would want to.

AntonioMartin

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:10 am

tvarad wrote:
Every country has one or more airlines, only Emirates Airlines has a country. That's the crux of the problem.

IIRC..so do Air Botswana, Luxair and Caribbean Airlines... :)

AntonioMartin

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:12 am

CHRISBA35X wrote:
YVR, YYC, TLV, BER, MEX, BOG, HNL. Struggling to see many more places they don't already serve that they would want to.

PHX

Arion640

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 am

tvarad wrote:

So Etihad and Air Arabia don’t count then?

FatCat

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:32 am

I'm sorry but a Gvt that closes the slots / limits the capacity of a given Airline to protect the Country's Airlines is worse that a Gvt owning / helping / funding an Airline.
We're living in a Capitalist World - what the heck.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

CHRISBA35X

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:46 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:

PHX

DTW or PHL over PHX surely?

konkret

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:21 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
TObound wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Ek should try to fly to Buffalo and bus up the passengers to Toronto. Its being done right now in Seattle to Vancouver. Which Seattle to Vancouver drive time is about double what it would take for a bus to from Buffalo to Toronto. So if Emirates was really that desperate to get more flights that are closer to Toronto. It is doable.

The slight difference being that there is plenty of demand to/from Seattle itself plus all the connections through Alaska network, so the passengers bussed from Vancouver are just icing on the cake.

Nicoeddf

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:32 am

vadodara wrote:
If EK was willing to stay with secondary cities, perhaps there would have been less resistance.

BER is an extreme example where LH does not want to serve but will prevent EK from expanding.

Does not want to serve? LH flies like 10 dailies to FRA and then another 10 dailies to MUC to connect with all off the world on own metal and onwards via partners.

As EK wouldn't offer BER-HKG, but rather BER-DXB-HKG, the people of Berlin have plenty choices of one-stops to all of the world via a dozen carriers.

As someone else said: if you don't have anything to offer in negotiations, how can you expect to gain anything? Arguably, they are already plenty well of in most parts of the world...
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

nethkt

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:55 am

Welcome to Thailand! Bangkok 6-7 flights daily (mostly 380), Phuket 2 daily in winter and even 3rd on some days!
It is not so free-trade world as ones wish after all.
Let's just blame it on yields.

TObound

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
TObound wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

There's simply no profitability in doing that. They'd have to open a new station, with zero airline feed (they have Westjet in Toronto), and get pax through US Customs (no small feat given the current administration). How many passengers would put up with all that to literally save a handful of dollars on a flight? The Canadians who go to Buffalo do that predominantly to access cheaper flights to destinations in the US. Even the passengers who want to depart from there to take international connections at major hubs are rare.

CHRISBA35X wrote:

China.

PW100

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:08 pm

DL747400 wrote:

Does government need to come up for the rights/jobs of several (tens of-) thousands of airline employees, or (tens of-) millions of consumers . . .

Good for your airlines, bad for your consumers.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

chidino

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 pm

aeropix wrote:
Fiend wrote:
History shows that people will fly direct whenever possible.

chidino wrote:
History shows most people will choose the cheapest option.

Well, it looks like we have a debate about what the people really want, so I think hub airlines with lower fares will always have a competitive niche.

Quoted me wrong. Please check before posting.

Buffalomatt1027

Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:05 am

TObound wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
TObound wrote:

There's simply no profitability in doing that. They'd have to open a new station, with zero airline feed (they have Westjet in Toronto), and get pax through US Customs (no small feat given the current administration). How many passengers would put up with all that to literally save a handful of dollars on a flight? The Canadians who go to Buffalo do that predominantly to access cheaper flights to destinations in the US. Even the passengers who want to depart from there to take international connections at major hubs are rare.

CHRISBA35X wrote:

China.

I think Jet blue does ....... But hey! The busing from Seattle to Vancouver works. Why cant BUF - TOR by bus work? And its not about a cheaper flight, its EK trying to get more flights in the Toronto area due to slot restriction.

hz747300

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:04 am

smartplane wrote:
hz747300 wrote:
As good as the EK experience is, I still believe it is up to local market to decide how much EK, or ME3, service they want to permit.

But it's not THE 'local market' that decides. It's the local airline or airlines that want to minimise competition and maximise margins.

Sorry, I meant the local government, which in many jurisdictions is voted by the people, ie, Canada. I don't know if many recall when SQ was trying to gain SYD-LAX flying rights. To me, this was purely a decision for the Australian government to make. Same for EK, the local government can decide--if the people don't like the decision they can vote new people in. My guess? 90% of the population doesn't give a toss.
Keep on truckin'...

konkret

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:40 am

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
TObound wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

CHRISBA35X wrote:

China.

I think Jet blue does ....... But hey! The busing from Seattle to Vancouver works. Why cant BUF - TOR by bus work? And its not about a cheaper flight, its EK trying to get more flights in the Toronto area due to slot restriction.

Busing from Vancouver to Seattle works only as an addition to the demand from/to Seattle itself and all the connections onto Alaska. Buffalo has neither of those.
Your idea of EK starting flights to BUF to serve Toronto is as likely as EK starting flights to SZZ to serve Berlin (the travel time is similar and at least there are no border checks intra-EU).

Revelation

Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:54 am

konkret wrote:
Your idea of EK starting flights to BUF to serve Toronto is as likely as EK starting flights to SZZ to serve Berlin (the travel time is similar and at least there are no border checks intra-EU).

:scratchchin:

That'd serve Angie and buddies right. Do like MOL does and call it East East Berlin.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

moa999

Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 am

nethkt wrote:
Welcome to Thailand! Bangkok 6-7 flights daily (mostly 380), Phuket 2 daily in winter and even 3rd on some days!
It is not so free-trade world as ones wish after all.
Think the Thai Govt is happy for all the tourism $s that come from allowing other airlines to fly in.

Thai loses enough money as it is, that it can't afford to expand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos