Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yulguy
Topic Author

Atlas Global suspending flights

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:17 pm

This is kind of big.

From their Facebook page:

As per the decision taken by our airline, we have entered a new phase of restructuring in order to provide you unique flight experience. As of the 26th of November 2019, we have temporarily suspended all our flights.

During this period, all flight irregularities on the tickets until the 15th of December 2019 will be assessed by our teams.
All procedures regarding involuntary change and/or refund will be announced on the 16th of December 2019, on our website. Please contact [email protected] with your PNR and flight information should you have any further inquiries and questions.

Tickets sales will be suspended until the 16th of December 2019 on all our sales channels including our website, mobile apps, etc.
"Celui qui diffère de moi, loin de me léser, m'enrichit." - Saint-Exupéry

dcajet

Re: Atlas Global suspending flights

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Good luck to AtlasGlobal. Airlines rarely end up resuming operations after suspending operations due to financial concerns.

2019 has been quite the awful year for leisure airlines operating in Europe. Relentless.
Last edited by dcajet on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Ishrion

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Flights are suspended until December 21st. For some reason the FB page doesn't say that but their Twitter does.

Also, did they just straight up disable their website?
Last edited by Ishrion on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yakamoz

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Flights are suspended until December 21st. For some reason the FB page doesn't say that but their Twitter does.

Also, did they just straight up disable their website?
Yes, all bookings stopped until Dec 16, 2019. On this date, they will do information about refund of tickets. Highly possible also about their future.

Blerg

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm

They also suspended TBS flights two weeks ago, it was probably a last minute attempt at saving themselves. Flights must have performed horribly.

aldrigsomandre

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Blerg wrote:
They also suspended TBS flights two weeks ago, it was probably a last minute attempt at saving themselves. Flights must have performed horribly.

TBS is a tough market out of IST though, too many airlines, the route is already saturated.

The best bet for KK would be ADB, AYT and BJV ops, concentrating on European and ME charters.

musman9853

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 pm

I am not looking forward to the next recession. It will be an absolute bloodbath, especially in europe.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

wedgetail737

Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Thank you for the clarifications.

stylo777

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Despite a big inbound tourism market, it's a very challenging environment with strong opponents on the market.

Domestically they are head on against TK and PC. International charter business Onur, Correndon, Sunexpress just to name a few.

Their business model was never clear (atleast to me). Running out of cash is the unfortunate bill.

Hopefully they return back to the skies. I really liked them among all the others; but chances are slim, especially in todays' market environment.

Blerg

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:59 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Despite a big inbound tourism market, it's a very challenging environment with strong opponents on the market.

Domestically they are head on against TK and PC. International charter business Onur, Correndon, Sunexpress just to name a few.

Their business model was never clear (atleast to me). Running out of cash is the unfortunate bill.

Hopefully they return back to the skies. I really liked them among all the others; but chances are slim, especially in todays' market environment.

And to think that just a week ago they were introducing new uniforms.

TK787

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:13 pm

I had probably one of my best Turkish domestic flights with them many years ago. After the flight, I visited the cockpit and made a pilot friend for many years. I agree with the above comments, cut-throat competition both domestically and internationally is the culprit. Add on top the current economic situation in Turkey plus the upcoming winter season.... I doubt we will see them flying again :(

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 pm

We're suspending flights now but will talk about refunds in ~three weeks... where does that fly? (No pun intended.)

LAXintl

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 pm

What this means is that parent German-Turkish ETS Group a large tour operator with investments in things like hotels also is either in its own financial troubles or is finally tired of funding loss making airline.

For 2 decades the airline has swung from one business plan to another. Charters, domestic full service, LCC, ACMI, international hybrid etc. Dozens of managers have come and gone with one restructuring after another.

Simply put the airline never quite found it's niche in the large but yet very competitive Turkish aviation scene.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

aemoreira1981

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Didn’t KK also have the oldest fleet among passenger Turkish carriers? That likely didn’t help either. It will be interesting as to who tried to grab slots at outstations.

stylo777

Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Didn’t KK also have the oldest fleet among passenger Turkish carriers? That likely didn’t help either. It will be interesting as to who tried to grab slots at outstations.

Tailwind and Onurair have older fleets (as far as I know), but in comparison to them the fleet has always been kept in good condition. In regards to slots there isn't anything valuable really...

MartijnNL

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:05 pm

That's too bad. Their aircraft were frequent visitors to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. Recently I have spotted one of their Airbus A330's a few times.

Maybe they had better not added this aircraft type to the fleet, just like Wow Air would have been better off by sticking to fly A320's and A321's only?

bluefltspecial

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
That's too bad. Their aircraft were frequent visitors to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. Recently I have spotted one of their Airbus A330's a few times.

Maybe they had better not added this aircraft type to the fleet, just like Wow Air would have been better off by sticking to fly A320's and A321's only?

I watched their A330 come into AMS this afternoon...
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

usflyer msp

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm

I have always hated their name. Atlas Global - what does that even mean?

goldorak

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 pm

WOW !! I have just flown with them on CDG-IST as an AF code-share. A very decent airline and product, although the FA were "cold".

aldrigsomandre

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:28 pm

usflyer msp wrote:

Well, they were called AtlasJet, then there was a crash, they had to rebrand and at the time, their strategy was to establish multiple airlines in multiple countries like Ukraine, Iraq and Russia - hence they just scrapped the Jet bit and added Global instead.

usflyer msp

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:31 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Well, they were called AtlasJet, then there was a crash, they had to rebrand and at the time, their strategy was to establish multiple airlines in multiple countries like Ukraine, Iraq and Russia - hence they just scrapped the Jet bit and added Global instead.

But the Atlas mountains are in Morocco. I don't get it.

aldrigsomandre

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

But the Atlas mountains are in Morocco. I don't get it.

Atlas, as in a book of maps and charts - not the mountain range.

yulguy
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 pm

It was (Is the past tense presumptuous?) a nice airline. I flew them IST-BEG-IST a couple years ago. I appreciated the free shuttle service to downtown Belgrade. Top notch service. I guess it's hard to find a niche and compete with juggernaut Turkish Airlines.
"Celui qui diffère de moi, loin de me léser, m'enrichit." - Saint-Exupéry

aemoreira1981

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:11 am

yulguy wrote:
It was (Is the past tense presumptuous?) a nice airline. I flew them IST-BEG-IST a couple years ago. I appreciated the free shuttle service to downtown Belgrade. Top notch service. I guess it's hard to find a niche and compete with juggernaut Turkish Airlines.

The scheduled short-haul market in Turkey is with the Rule of 3 between PC, 8Q, and TK (AnadoluJet) being the major players...although it's TK and PC the big two and then 8Q being much further behind, relying on a hybrid of scheduled and charter. The problem is: KK never decided what it wanted to be.

AtomicGarden

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:22 am

usflyer msp wrote:

Until I read the thread, I thought they were a cargo airline (Atlas Air)
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

GalebG4

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:31 am

Globalization at its worst for small companies !!!

BasilFawlty

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 am

stylo777 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Tailwind and Onurair have older fleets (as far as I know), but in comparison to them the fleet has always been kept in good condition.

Can you substantiate your statement regarding the condition of the fleets or are you just saying something?

aldrigsomandre wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The crash happened in 2007, the renaming from Atlasjet to Atlasglobal happened in 2015...
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

BasilFawlty

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:11 am

MartijnNL wrote:

Adding widebody aircraft is always a great way for a small airline to burn money and go bust eventually. flyglobespan, bmi British Midland, WOW air, Aigle Azur, etc. etc. etc.

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The scheduled short-haul market in Turkey is with the Rule of 3 between PC, 8Q, and TK (AnadoluJet) being the major players...although it's TK and PC the big two and then 8Q being much further behind, relying on a hybrid of scheduled and charter. The problem is: KK never decided what it wanted to be.

8Q is negligible on the domestic and shorthaul market. If they hadn't their long-term contract with SV they would go bust too.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

juliuswong

Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:00 am

Oh dear, much prayers with their employees and customers. Hope they will come back. They have taken off their website, not a good sign.

As for their fleet, mostly are old, won't be surprised all will be sent to scrappers. Single A320 with seven very old A321.

Talk about double whammy, two of their A332 were from Shaheen/KLM and recently delivered earlier this year. Another from TAM in storage for close to two years.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:34 am

yulguy wrote:
This is kind of big.

From their Facebook page:

As per the decision taken by our airline, we have entered a new phase of restructuring in order to provide you unique flight experience. As of the 26th of November 2019, we have temporarily suspended all our flights.

During this period, all flight irregularities on the tickets until the 15th of December 2019 will be assessed by our teams.
All procedures regarding involuntary change and/or refund will be announced on the 16th of December 2019, on our website. Please contact [email protected] with your PNR and flight information should you have any further inquiries and questions.

Tickets sales will be suspended until the 16th of December 2019 on all our sales channels including our website, mobile apps, etc.

I actually feel bad for even pointing this out given the stress and toll this will be having on their employees, but reading this my immediate thought was a flight that never left the ground was indeed a unique experience.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

CHRISBA35X

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:36 am

I wasn't a fan of theirs. Dodgy operator, corners being cut and the A320 of theirs I went on was older than the dinosaurs and really showed it. Search them on PPrune. - they had some "interesting" feedback on there from former crew. Suffice to say that's a smoking hole in the ground that was waiting to happen. Good that their people (who I'm sure were great) can find better jobs elsewhere at better operators.

bluefltspecial

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:33 am

usflyer msp wrote:

Atlas was a Titan who was responsible for bearing the weight of the heavens on his shoulders, a punishment bestowed on him by Zeus.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

PANAMsterdam

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 am

2019 has been another brutal year in the aviation industry. Not only for airlines, but also for a certain airline manufacturer. I hope for Atlas Global that they will join the skies again, but TK is really powerful in IST. Don't see how they can compete on routes like AMS, DUS, CDG and so on profitably
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

Sasha

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:53 pm

Hope they return soon. Just flew them last Friday. Nothing showed any sign of the service suspension. Of course it was just a single flight, but it wasn't empty. Acknowledge that full cabin doesn't necessarily mean good route revenue, but still :(
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

tjwgrr

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:52 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
Atlas was a Titan who was responsible for bearing the weight of the heavens on his shoulders, a punishment bestowed on him by Zeus.

As shown on Atlas Air:

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

JUANTRIPPEJR

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:17 pm

I wonder if TK will be taking over flights to destinations like Shymkent, Aktau, Makhachkala and Chelyabisnk?

usflyer msp

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:22 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

See, the name and logo were so meaningless we cannot even agree as to what the "Atlas" part is referring to.

stylo777

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:43 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
stylo777 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Tailwind and Onurair have older fleets (as far as I know), but in comparison to them the fleet has always been kept in good condition.

Can you substantiate your statement regarding the condition of the fleets or are you just saying something?

aldrigsomandre wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The crash happened in 2007, the renaming from Atlasjet to Atlasglobal happened in 2015...

Yes, I'm saying something. In fact, I'm expressing my opinion based on personal experience comprising over hundreds of flights with both KK and 8Q in the past. But hey, this is a totally subjective perception, so I'm very keen to learn more fact from you.

stylo777

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:27 pm

with almost all the fleet gone back to the lessors or for scrapping (according planespotters.net only 5 aircraft left), we can probably speak of a complete shutdown even after the mentioned period.

actually, one thing struck my mind today. (former) fleet, base, routes and ground service providers of both KK and 8Q (Onurair) are pretty similar. is there a chance for 8Q to buy KK?

davidjohnson6

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:39 pm

What assets does AtlasGlobal have that OnurAir would want ? If AtlasGlobal management felt the need to shut down, then Atlas probably has some unsustainable contracts or big debts - which means buying the company as a whole is likely a no-no. Onur has its own brand and isn't large enough to need a (now tarnished) sub-brand. The only thing I can think of is maybe AtlasGlobal's slots at some of the larger airports it served - but I don't know which airports allow slot sales

Sasha

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:05 am

Wondering if anyone has heard on this topic lately? Little under 2 weeks remaning until the date announced as restart of operations. More or less clear picture should be seen by now. Hoping it is not the obvious outcome already mentioned by many... :(
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

Jetty

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:41 am

Suspending all flights to provide an unique flight experience. That's PR BS on a new level. :banghead:

Blerg

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Sasha wrote:
Wondering if anyone has heard on this topic lately? Little under 2 weeks remaning until the date announced as restart of operations. More or less clear picture should be seen by now. Hoping it is not the obvious outcome already mentioned by many... :(

I read on another forum that some of their aircraft have been returned to the lessors so I doubt they'll be back anytime soon.

Sasha

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:33 am

Today was supposed to be the day when the website of the carrier was gonna have some info posted. Still same.

alaturka

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am

Turkish Aviation News site says; "..They are going to focus on charter flights."

https://www.airlinehaber.com/atlasgloba ... l-gececek/

Sasha

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:57 pm

a quote from their website https://www.atlasglb.com/
Dear Passengers, As of today our reservation system is open. Our flights will start by December 21st, 2019 at 11.15 AM (Istanbul time).

LAXintl

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Back flying.

First flight was service to London https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KKK ... /LTFM/EGSS

Taking reservations again on its website
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Blerg

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:33 am

So what destinations will they be flying to? I see that Belgrade is not coming back now that Air Serbia launched their own flights.

I remember reading on here that some of their planes were returned to the lessors, what are they flying with now?

Phosphorus

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:49 am

Blerg wrote:

I remember reading on here that some of their planes were returned to the lessors, what are they flying with now?

Indeed they have returned multiple planes to lessors, and at the moment, airfleets indicates only one active frame for AtlasGlobal Turkey -- A321 TC-ATF.
I've had a hunch they held on to some frames, that were assigned to subsidiaries -- like AtlasGlobal Ukraine -- but no, those were apparently returned to lessors too.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

GCT64

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:41 am

A321s TC-ATF (TLV & AMS) and TC-AGG (AYT & STN) are flying, as is A330 TC-AGF (BGW & IKA).
Not sure if there are any others. Most of the rest of the fleet has headed to storage, many at MPL, some at DGX, SNN & GYR.
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos