Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Delta350
Topic Author

Birmingham (BHM) Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:08 pm

Welcome to the Birmingham Aviation Thread for 2019
BHM got Frontier earlier this year and passenger traffic has been on a rise!

Post any more info below
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Title updated
Plane Spotter from the Magic City and Hartsfield-Jackson...(ATL)

SeanM1997

Re: Birmingham Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:36 am

Could you change the title to Birmingham (BHM) as its confusing with Birmingham (BHX)

ATLgaUSA

Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Delta350 wrote:
Welcome to the Birmingham Aviation Thread for 2019
BHM got Frontier earlier this year and passenger traffic has been on a rise!

Post any more info below

Delta added an extra flight to LaGuardia. American brought back mainline. Southwest added weekend flights to Fort Lauderdale. Other than that and the Frontier seasonal flights, I can't think of anything notable.

Delta350
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Could you change the title to Birmingham (BHM) as its confusing with Birmingham (BHX)

Yeah

EIEIDW

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:21 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:

I thought it was BHX!

Delta350
Topic Author

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Next year BHM is most likely getting BHM-DEN with Southwest. Since they don’t fly DEN-BHM or DEN-CLT. Also they did a study about how, who and why people would fly through BHM and found the San Francisco/ Silicone valley(SJC) highly for demand for business with tech and JetBlue would serve that route. Also MSP wants to start flight(s) to BHM Bc we have Shipt and they have Target, so we’d be connecting the two companies.

sprxUSA

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:26 pm

JetBlue would never do an odd BHM-SJC (Silicon, not Silicone) route.
Seems the study is a typical one that are always being done showing all the great new services they 'should' have. Who did it, Boyd or Sixlet??
BHM will be static for a long while imo as they are served appropriately.

As for BHX, A380 nonstop to BOS on Thursdays would be nice.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

TYSflyer

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:51 pm

I have thought for a while that F9 could try some unserved routes from the southeast to BOS such as MEM, GSP and BHM. I suspect these would be summer seasonal to fit with their overall route strategy.

ATLgaUSA

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Delta350 wrote:
Next year BHM is most likely getting BHM-DEN with Southwest. Since they don’t fly DEN-BHM or DEN-CLT. Also they did a study about how, who and why people would fly through BHM and found the San Francisco/ Silicone valley(SJC) highly for demand for business with tech and JetBlue would serve that route. Also MSP wants to start flight(s) to BHM Bc we have Shipt and they have Target, so we’d be connecting the two companies.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on JetBlue starting Birmingham. As far as west coast flights go, I’d expect to see Delta, Southwest, or American start a LAX flight before you see a SFO flight.

Delta has flown MSP off and on so it wouldn’t be a big surprise to see them restart that route.

Delta350
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:16 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
Delta350 wrote:

I wouldn’t hold my breath on JetBlue starting Birmingham. As far as west coast flights go, I’d expect to see Delta, Southwest, or American start a LAX flight before you see a SFO flight.

Delta has flown MSP off and on so it wouldn’t be a big surprise to see them restart that route.

Since when did they fly BHM-MSP and with what aircraft?

Delta350
Topic Author

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:21 am

sprxUSA wrote:
JetBlue would never do an odd BHM-SJC (Silicon, not Silicone) route.
Seems the study is a typical one that are always being done showing all the great new services they 'should' have. Who did it, Boyd or Sixlet??
BHM will be static for a long while imo as they are served appropriately.

As for BHX, A380 nonstop to BOS on Thursdays would be nice.

Oh ok, oops autocorrect got me.

ana767

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Since when did they fly BHM-MSP and with what aircraft?

I don't know all of the details, but I flew Delta from BHM to MSP on the way to YYC in the summer of 2013 on an E-175.

southwest1675

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Sucks WN cut back some solid service out of BHM. BNA-BHM was my very first flight many years ago.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ATLgaUSA

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:55 pm

Now that Southwest isn’t a low cost carrier, i would think spirit or frontier could come in with BHM-MSY, BHM-LAS, and BHM-Florida.

jplatts

Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:05 am

Delta350 wrote:
Next year BHM is most likely getting BHM-DEN with Southwest. Since they don’t fly DEN-BHM or DEN-CLT.

I agree that WN adding BHM-DEN nonstop service might happen with BHM being the largest WN station that WN has never served nonstop from DEN and with WN's plans to significantly expand at DEN.

In addition to BHM-DEN, WN could also re-add BHM-PHX and BHM-STL nonstop service.

Here are the load factors for WN BHM-PHX and WN BHM-STL nonstop service back in 2012:
BHM-PHX - 70.67%
BHM-STL - 74.31%

WN might be able to make BHM-STL nonstop service work since WN would be able to offer connections to more cities from BHM through STL than it did back when it last operated BHM-STL nonstop service.

Delta350 wrote:
Also MSP wants to start flight(s) to BHM Bc we have Shipt and they have Target, so we’d be connecting the two companies.

I agree that DL adding BHM-MSP nonstop service is a possibility with BHM being one of the largest domestic markets not served nonstop from MSP.

In addition to BHM-MSP, DL could also add BHM-SLC nonstop service with BHM being one of the largest markets not served nonstop from SLC.

ADent

Re: Birmingham (BHM) Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 am

I would like to see DEN-BHM. We do a lot of DEN-HSV at work, but some folks end up doing DEN-BNA to avoid the United Express flight and get better flight times. Probably won't have enough flights per day to get good times though.

Delta350
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:57 pm

United on ORD-BHM will be upgrade to CRJ-550 starting in May

maps4ltd

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:10 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Sucks WN cut back some solid service out of BHM. BNA-BHM was my very first flight many years ago.

I guess it went the way of STL-SDF or even DAL-OKC now.
Next flights:
AA1003 STL-ORD Airbus A319 November 25
AA3170 ORD-ASE Bombardier CRJ-700 November 25
AA3247 ASE-ORD Bombardier CRJ-700 November 29
AA1960 ORD-STL Airbus A319 November 29

jplatts

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:17 am

maps4ltd wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I guess it went the way of STL-SDF or even DAL-OKC now.

I mentioned that WN re-adding BHM-STL nonstop service is a possibility as WN had been able to make BHM-STL nonstop service work in the past. WN would also be able to offer 1-stop connections to a few additional cities such as DSM, PDX, SMF, SJC, and ICT from BHM through STL if it re-adds STL-BHM nonstop service.

WN re-adding BHM-PHX nonstop service is also a possibility with BHM being one of the largest markets without nonstop service to PHX.

WN adding BHM-DEN nonstop service might happen with WN planning on significantly expanding at DEN and with BHM being one of the largest WN stations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN.

caleeiii

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:46 am

I wish BHM and city officials would forget trying for new secondary carriers and work with our current airlines’ management for a couple of these realistic new/reinstated routes:

DEN: WN
EWR: UA
LAX: DL or AA
MSP: DL
PHX: AA or WN
SEA: DL
SFO: UA
SLC: DL
STL: WN

bhmdiversion

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:56 am

DL (Compass) used to fly MSP/BHM - but the route did not make money so the route was dropped. WN at BHM has reduced their schedule down and would not suspect any growth there except seasonal routes. F9 has already talked about reducing BHM as the markets served are not making enough $$$.

jplatts

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:38 pm

bhmdiversion wrote:
DL (Compass) used to fly MSP/BHM - but the route did not make money so the route was dropped.

There is some leakage over to AA, UA, and WN on BHM-MSP as AA, UA, and WN all offer 1-stop connections to MSP from BHM through Chicago. The PDEW on BHM-MSP was 40 passengers per day in Q2 2019, and 40% of the passengers were connecting to MSP from BHM on airlines other than DL in Q2 2019.

There is also a good amount of passengers connecting to SEA from BHM as the PDEW of SEA-BHM was 47 passengers per day in Q2 2019. DL also now has a much stronger presence in SEA than it did when CP operated BHM-MSP nonstop service.

DL might be able to make BHM-MSP nonstop service work due to DL being able to offer 1-stop connections to Northern Minnesota, the Dakotas, the Northwestern U.S., Alaska, Western Canada, and Asia through MSP.

DL might be able to fill at least one daily nonstop to MSP from BHM on an CRJ-700 or E-170 regional jet with a combination of O&D traffic and connecting traffic to the Northwestern U.S.

DL Connection is also discontinuing its partnership with CP and G7, and 9E, YX, and OO will be the only remaining DL Connection partners once DL Connection discontinues its partnership with CP and G7.

bhmdiversion wrote:
WN at BHM has reduced their schedule down and would not suspect any growth there except seasonal routes. F9 has already talked about reducing BHM as the markets served are not making enough $$$.

F9 was able to fill BHM-DEN nonstop flights as F9 had a load factor of 86.75% on its BHM-DEN nonstop flights in the January 2019 - August 2019 time period.

WN would probably be able to easily fill BHM-DEN nonstop flights if F9 drops BHM-DEN nonstop service since
(a) there was an average of 56 passengers/day traveling between BHM and DEN in each direction in the January 2019 - August 2019 time period,
(b) WN would be able to offer more connections from BHM through DEN than F9 does if WN adds DEN-BHM nonstop service,
(c) demand for the WN BHM-DEN nonstops would be there on both the BHM and DEN ends of the route,
(d) BHM is in a big enough market to support DEN-BHM nonstop service with WN already serving DEN nonstop from most of the other markets similar in size to BHM,
(e) BHM is one of the largest WN stations without nonstop service to DEN on WN,
and
(f) WN would likely be carrying more passengers per day on BHM-DEN than F9 does if it adds daily nonstop service to DEN from BHM.

I also previously mentioned WN re-adding BHM-STL nonstop service with WN being able to make BHM-STL nonstop service work in the past and with WN being able to offer connections to a few additional cities from BHM through STL if it re-adds BHM-STL nonstop service.

jplatts

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 pm

caleeiii wrote:
I wish BHM and city officials would forget trying for new secondary carriers and work with our current airlines’ management for a couple of these realistic new/reinstated routes:
PHX: AA or WN

I would lean towards WN re-adding BHM-PHX nonstop service over AA adding BMH-PHX nonstop service as WN still serves PHX nonstop from a few destinations that do not have nonstop service to PHX on AA such as BUF, CLE, LIT, SDF, BNA, and TUL.

ATLgaUSA

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Didn’t AA overtake WN as the second largest carrier at BHM in the late summer? I believe they did and, if so, it may be more interested in BHM-PHX than WN.

FlyKBHM

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:25 pm

On a "2019 in Review" note, I would add:
1. The introduction of CLEAR. I scoffed at the idea of needing CLEAR at BHM as the TSA lines are normally very manageable, but thanks to an employee discount went ahead and got it. I have to say that it has been more helpful than I expected, especially during busy early morning departures times and when large school / church / tour / sports groups randomly swamp the line. Unexpected positive.

2. (as ATLgaUS noted above) American bringing back mainline aircraft was big; I about fell over when I first saw an A319 at gate B2. My hatred for CRJs knows no bounds so I'm excited about better mainline options flying west.

3. The continued operation (from November 2018) and even growth of Stewart Industries decommissioning business in the former (many, many entities) complex south of the terminal. At the very least, it has brought aviation jobs and some rare liveries to BHM.

Thanks for starting the thread Delta350; please be sure to start a 2020 thread in two weeks :-)

tnair1974

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:17 pm

FlyKBHM wrote:
(as ATLgaUS noted above) American bringing back mainline aircraft was big; I about fell over when I first saw an A319 at gate B2. My hatred for CRJs knows no bounds so I'm excited about better mainline options flying west.

Mesa's CR9s are especially detested by many, maybe even by some that otherwise don't mind CRJs too much. It has become no big secret that Mesa's American Eagle flights are one of the more unreliable operations among any regional airline. It's amazing (well, maybe not) how looking up Mesa Eagle CR9s finds many flights are cancelled.

Perhaps WN's DAL-BHM service has attracted enough disgruntled Mesa DFW-BHM customers that AA felt compelled to bring back mainline.

Delta350
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:28 am

FlyKBHM wrote:
On a "2019 in Review" note, I would add:
1. The introduction of CLEAR. I scoffed at the idea of needing CLEAR at BHM as the TSA lines are normally very manageable, but thanks to an employee discount went ahead and got it. I have to say that it has been more helpful than I expected, especially during busy early morning departures times and when large school / church / tour / sports groups randomly swamp the line. Unexpected positive.

2. (as ATLgaUS noted above) American bringing back mainline aircraft was big; I about fell over when I first saw an A319 at gate B2. My hatred for CRJs knows no bounds so I'm excited about better mainline options flying west.

3. The continued operation (from November 2018) and even growth of Stewart Industries decommissioning business in the former (many, many entities) complex south of the terminal. At the very least, it has brought aviation jobs and some rare liveries to BHM.

Thanks for starting the thread Delta350; please be sure to start a 2020 thread in two weeks :-)

Your welcome! I will definitely!!

caleeiii

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:51 am

I thought F9 is/did suspend service? Do we expect them to return? And, if so, it is not daily and obviously not year round. My point is the main carriers should be lobbied before less-than-reliable low-cost carriers.

Delta350
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:53 am

tnair1974 wrote:
FlyKBHM wrote:
(as ATLgaUS noted above) American bringing back mainline aircraft was big; I about fell over when I first saw an A319 at gate B2. My hatred for CRJs knows no bounds so I'm excited about better mainline options flying west.

Mesa's CR9s are especially detested by many, maybe even by some that otherwise don't mind CRJs too much. It has become no big secret that Mesa's American Eagle flights are one of the more unreliable operations among any regional airline. It's amazing (well, maybe not) how looking up Mesa Eagle CR9s finds many flights are cancelled.

Perhaps WN's DAL-BHM service has attracted enough disgruntled Mesa DFW-BHM customers that AA felt compelled to bring back mainline.

I hope it can upgrade to the 738

Delta350
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:54 am

caleeiii wrote:
I thought F9 is/did suspend service? Do we expect them to return? And, if so, it is not daily and obviously not year round. My point is the main carriers should be lobbied before less-than-reliable low-cost carriers.

They still fly to BHM, they’re in a hiatus right now

gdavis003

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:45 pm

Anyone else notice that the flights in and out of BHM to and from ATL today were mostly on CRJ-900s? It looks like they have switched a few of the MD-88 flights for the next few weeks onto CRJ-900s. Anyone have any info?

TYSflyer

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:41 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Anyone else notice that the flights in and out of BHM to and from ATL today were mostly on CRJ-900s? It looks like they have switched a few of the MD-88 flights for the next few weeks onto CRJ-900s. Anyone have any info?

I am pretty confident related to the holiday schedule. The airlines tend to reduce gauge and frequency during the Christmas holidays as business travel plummets. In my experience delta tends to be very aggressive at reducing flying during the holidays compared to the other airlines. It should go back up to regular schedule after the first week of January.

Delta28L

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:36 am

gdavis003 wrote:

Slow business demand and it’s a short route that they may be moving capacity around to other stations that need the bigger planes to fit demand on other routes

Delta350
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 pm

What will delta use for BHM-ATL at the end of next year?(MD88s retire)

caleeiii

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Delta350 wrote:

I notice a few of the flights have switched to the 717 this spring.

tnair1974

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Delta28L wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Slow business demand and it’s a short route that they may be moving capacity around to other stations that need the bigger planes to fit demand on other routes

As another example albeit a longer route, DL (Connection) has CHA-LGA service that is no-op from Dec 20 until a few days after the new year. While it might be very easy to fill the seats during the holidays, it could end up mostly being leisure traffic thus low yields.

As TYSflyer mentioned, DL does this a lot during the holidays. UA and AA do this as well if not to the extent of DL.

Delta350
Topic Author

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:33 pm

caleeiii wrote:
Delta350 wrote:

I notice a few of the flights have switched to the 717 this spring.

I hope they bring back the 738s

ATLgaUSA

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:23 am

Landed in BHM tonight and there were three md88s

bpat777

Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:07 am

A little of topic, but BHM is one of my favorite smaller/mid-size airports. The remodel a few yrs ago looks really good.

Delta350
Topic Author

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:27 pm

There’s a 767 charter coming tomorrow I’ve heard. Does anyone have furthermore information? I.e departing airport, variant and company/ livery

gdavis003

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:33 pm

Delta350 wrote:
There’s a 767 charter coming tomorrow I’ve heard. Does anyone have furthermore information? I.e departing airport, variant and company/ livery

It is either Boston College or Cincinnati arriving for the Birmingham Bowl which is scheduled for January 2nd. The teams are supposed to arrive tomorrow I believe. Not sure which team is taking the 767 or with what airline they are chartering

jplatts

Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:53 pm

Delta350 wrote:
caleeiii wrote:

They still fly to BHM, they’re in a hiatus right now

I previously mentioned WN adding BHM-DEN nonstop service with WN still adding more nonstop routes out of DEN, with WN planning on significantly expanding at DEN, and with BHM being one of the largest WN stations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN.

gdavis003

Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Two Atlas Air 767-300s chartering both Cincinnati and Boston College for Birmingham Bowl

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GTI ... /KBED/KBHM

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GTI ... /KCVG/KBHM

SQ22

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:01 pm

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438097

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos