Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jomar777

Re: Ed Bastion: DL considering buying the 737MAX

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:10 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Crud! :mad:

But then again, they'd be negligent if they DIDN'T "consider" it.... doesn't mean that they'll buy it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/delta-ceo ... -737-max/#

On a personal note:
DL is my primary airline, and I refuse to set foot on a MAX for at least 5yrs after their RTF.... the thought of never having to worry about it, because the airline didn't order them, was kinda nice.

It is a great post but I am not sure whether he was stating that he considered FLYING in one rather than buying them aircraft, although one might be forgiven in thinking that he basically only flies with DL (with some very rare excepetions where a private jet might be used...) so implying that he was actually open to it.

Things may change but, as of now, I do not think DL will buy any Boeing Aircraft. Airbus has enough portfolio to push them whatever they want on any segment.

Boeing's bet on DL would be a change of scenario when DL needs to replace those 737s its got maybe. But I find UA ordering NB Airbus more likely than this at present - again, things might change in future.

Additionally, as someone that flew GIG-CDG on Air France less about a year after the AF447 accident (and on a A332) and who's local national carrier has already ordered 200 of MAX (plus the local neighboors LCC's huge order of the same...), I am not phased in flying it. Once it is clear the aircraft is safe it will return to the skies and, if selected to a flight I might take, I will be on it.

It is really bad that two ended up on the ground and killing a lot of people and quite rightly the type was grounded afterwards but they were not the only aircrafts of the type flying at that time and severa others did start and completed their journey so once the MCAS issue is addressed, why not??

flymad

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:22 am

I think Ed Bastian is being very diplomatic here. He said he would "consider" flying on the Max - whether he actually fastens himself into one is a totally different story completely

Scorpio

Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:23 am

Can the thread title be changed please? At NO point does Bastion say in that interview that Delta is considering buying the 737MAX. He even says the exact opposite: 'we didn't order it - NOT PLANNING TO'.

Veigar

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:04 am

I understand the context behind the quote, and that it is not as the title claims.

What makes me laugh though is how people here, regardless of circumstance, jump on the "due diligence" bandwagon when the subject is an airline looking at Boeing aircraft. Remember the WN A220 thread...? :rotfl:

CriticalPoint

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 am

LAX772LR wrote:
caljn wrote:
You should know better than to fan the hysterical flames.

I'm doing no such thing... I simply said I don't want to travel on it, until it's flown a few years without the fatal issue that's plagued it. That's not unreasonable.

CriticalPoint wrote:
You either die from MCAS or you die from Fumes on an A320

In what multiple incidents have pax died from A320 fumes?

https://avherald.com/h?article=4b6eb830

MoKa777

Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:45 am

gokmengs wrote:
If I’m Bastian and don’t have the max in my order book, I wouldn’t consider ordering it for another 2 years of safe flying by the re-certified aircraft. DL does get a decent if not huge discount from both manufacturers anyway albeit the one they would get for a max order would be more than their usual I think we can all agree on that. Just no reason to order it now or in the very near future. “But you are not Bastian” reply in 3-2-1.....

BUT, come on, you are not Bastian...

Hahaha I had to oblige
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

ELBOB

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:02 am

ncflyer wrote:
Wouldn’t it be CEO negligence not to consider every aircraft, at least for negotiation posturing? I’m not sure why it deserves a thread when they do their job.

I don't know where this distorted concept of 'corporate negligence' has arisen. Negligence legally occurs only when a third-party, to whom the corporation has a contractual duty, suffers material harm from the action or inaction of that corporation.

It isn't negligent of the CEO or Board to ignore certain courses of action, unless they have some contract with the shareholders that says they must consider every possible option that might save the company a cent or two. And no company has such a contract. The usual verbiage revolves around 'best interest' and ignoring a non-certificated aircraft would seem to fit well with that.

I mean, Delta didn't consider the Tu-154 in the 1980s or the Tu-204 in the 90s. Was that 'negligent'? Of course not, it was just pragmatic.

Deltran757

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:09 am

Antarius wrote:
This thread should be locked. Nowhere did Bastian say anything of the sort.

But appears that off topic only applies to some people.

Fake news. People took what he said, flipped his words, and made their own assumption that Delta will order the max. You have to remember. Delta is a deal maker. Would i be surprise in the future if Delta ordered the Max. No. But i trust the process of their fleet plans for the future. They know which aircraft meet their needs. Its all about pricing and aircraft availability to acquire the max. But with A321neo and also A221 coming in next year. We will see what pans out 1-2 years from now.
To see the world... One plane at a time

RalXWB

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:02 am

The thread title needs to be changed as it is plain WRONG!

P1aneMad

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:14 am

Sounds like DL is looking for some A320NEOs and didn't like the price quoted by Airbus.

P1aneMad

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:25 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
caljn wrote:
You should know better than to fan the hysterical flames.

I'm doing no such thing... I simply said I don't want to travel on it, until it's flown a few years without the fatal issue that's plagued it. That's not unreasonable.

CriticalPoint wrote:
You either die from MCAS or you die from Fumes on an A320

In what multiple incidents have pax died from A320 fumes?

https://avherald.com/h?article=4b6eb830

So that would be none!
You just made his point.

Lootess

Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:16 pm

Thread title is completely misleading, he said they have no intentions of ordering it.

VictorKilo wrote:
Even if DL doesn’t fly the Max, they own 49% of AM, an airline who does fly the Max and has literally never owned an Airbus product. So DL does have a vested interest in the Max due to its stake in AM and I would expect them to not trash it openly even if it never flies in DL colors.

Dude, did you even watch the video? Ed just said Delta is the 2nd largest Boeing operator in the world.

qf789

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:01 pm

As topic is turning into a flamewar it will be locked
Forum Moderator