Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
81819
Topic Author
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:54 am

Hello All,

As posted on the Australian Aviation thread yesterday (by oskarclare), Etihad flew a 787-10 between AUD and BNE, a 7462 mile or 14 hour trip.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ateposted/

As speculated, we assume the aircraft flew light with a reduced passenger and freight load. Still, quite an impressive flight considering the published range of the aircraft.

It would be good to hear from A.net members who have more information on this flight. Some of our more technical minded /experienced posters could enlighten us on how this flight was possible.

Cheers

Travel
 
User avatar
rida79
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 am

you mean from AUH? AUD is also in Australia
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:31 am

travelhound wrote:
As speculated, we assume the aircraft flew light with a reduced passenger and freight load. Still, quite an impressive flight considering the published range of the aircraft.


Unil those restrictions are known - with specificity and confidence - there really isn't much to say. I would be skeptical of assertions that Boeing has severely underrated range on standard conditions.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8440
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:38 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
As speculated, we assume the aircraft flew light with a reduced passenger and freight load. Still, quite an impressive flight considering the published range of the aircraft.


Unil those restrictions are known - with specificity and confidence - there really isn't much to say. I would be skeptical of assertions that Boeing has severely underrated range on standard conditions.


Given that this flight is scheduled with a 789 and this was a last minute substitution it is pretty reasonable to assume the flight wasn't full unless there happened to be 50 standby pax. Additionally while we are moving towards the Australian summer, late November is still a relatively quiet travel period here (no Thanksgiving bump!) so - without looking up the loads - I would be very surprised if even a 789 was full.

As to Boeing underestimating the aircraft's range, time will tell for sure, but anecdotally it appears that they have. They have form with this, Boeing circa 2003 had little idea how capable the 77W would prove to be.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15173
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:56 am

travelhound wrote:
As posted on the Australian Aviation thread yesterday (by oskarclare), Etihad flew a 787-10 between AUD and BNE, a 7462 mile or 14 hour trip.


So an aircraft with a design range of 6430 nm with 330 passengers and baggage completed a trip of 6485 nm half empty and that is supposed to be impressive?

You do know the difference between a mile and a nautical mile ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
Avgeek21
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:44 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:08 pm

Don’t forget it’s a UAE holiday period around these days and almost all flights ex UAE are full. So it could well be a swap due to available volume. I’ve seen several ex UAE A380’s with a 100% load and 50+ staff on stby.
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Avgeek21 wrote:
Don’t forget it’s a UAE holiday period around these days and almost all flights ex UAE are full. So it could well be a swap due to available volume. I’ve seen several ex UAE A380’s with a 100% load and 50+ staff on stby.

Aren't the most of the passengers of EK/EY/QR flights transit passengers? So in this case the most passengers on this flight wasn't originated from AUH.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8440
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:12 pm

afterburner wrote:
Avgeek21 wrote:
Don’t forget it’s a UAE holiday period around these days and almost all flights ex UAE are full. So it could well be a swap due to available volume. I’ve seen several ex UAE A380’s with a 100% load and 50+ staff on stby.

Aren't the most of the passengers of EK/EY/QR flights transit passengers? So in this case the most passengers on this flight wasn't originated from AUH.


Generally yes, but if it is a local holiday then it stands to reason that there will be a higher proportion of UAE O&D pax.

However if the holiday was affecting loads then it would be in the direction AUH-BNE, with the winds behind them.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:16 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
As speculated, we assume the aircraft flew light with a reduced passenger and freight load. Still, quite an impressive flight considering the published range of the aircraft.


As to Boeing underestimating the aircraft's range, time will tell for sure, but anecdotally it appears that they have. They have form with this, Boeing circa 2003 had little idea how capable the 77W would prove to be.


It is a bit off topic but could you please tell me more about this unexpectedly better than expected range of the 77W or have a link about it? Couldn’t find it
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.
 
Eyad89
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:47 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:22 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

Generally yes, but if it is a local holiday then it stands to reason that there will be a higher proportion of UAE O&D pax.

However if the holiday was affecting loads then it would be in the direction AUH-BNE, with the winds behind them.


What holiday are Emiratis having now?
 
rnav2dlrey
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:23 pm

for more detail, search for the thread documenting UA using the 78J on IAD-NRT for a few turns. i believe there are exact fuel/weight numbers in that thread from a UA employee.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm

So what? United flies a 787 from SFO to SIN, which is 16 hours.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
So what? United flies a 787 from SFO to SIN, which is 16 hours.


787-9 version not a 787-10
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3675
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:14 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:
for more detail, search for the thread documenting UA using the 78J on IAD-NRT for a few turns. i believe there are exact fuel/weight numbers in that thread from a UA employee.


there are the IAD-PEK flight numbers (from Jayunited if I remember correctly) the numbers posted show the 787-10 falling exactly on the Boeing payload range chart for the 787-10.

Fred
Image
 
JustSomeDood
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:44 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
for more detail, search for the thread documenting UA using the 78J on IAD-NRT for a few turns. i believe there are exact fuel/weight numbers in that thread from a UA employee.


there are the IAD-PEK flight numbers (from Jayunited if I remember correctly) the numbers posted show the 787-10 falling exactly on the Boeing payload range chart for the 787-10.

Fred

As Boeing's payload range chart quotes [email protected] 330pax, the fact that UA's data supports the chart on a westbound TPAC route means that a 787-10 can fly 6000+nm routes with a full pax load in the real world, which should shut up some vocal advocates that claim the contrary. Even higher density configured -10s (VN with 367 seats) should have no issues flying 10-11 hr routes with no payload penalty.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 13546
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Delta28L wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
So what? United flies a 787 from SFO to SIN, which is 16 hours.


787-9 version not a 787-10


Wasn't there a one-off for more premium seats or so flying some 160 pax a while back?

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 3675
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:24 pm

JustSomeDood wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
rnav2dlrey wrote:
for more detail, search for the thread documenting UA using the 78J on IAD-NRT for a few turns. i believe there are exact fuel/weight numbers in that thread from a UA employee.


there are the IAD-PEK flight numbers (from Jayunited if I remember correctly) the numbers posted show the 787-10 falling exactly on the Boeing payload range chart for the 787-10.

Fred

As Boeing's payload range chart quotes [email protected] 330pax, the fact that UA's data supports the chart on a westbound TPAC route means that a 787-10 can fly 6000+nm routes with a full pax load in the real world, which should shut up some vocal advocates that claim the contrary. Even higher density configured -10s (VN with 367 seats) should have no issues flying 10-11 hr routes with no payload penalty.

I agree, there are people on here that like to use half truths to peddle their views. Once you have (or can calculate) the vital pieces of information on an aircraft it should be all settled but people like to assume one of the vital pieces then arguments ensue.
1. Takeoff weight
2. Landing weight
3. Still air range

The still air range is often difficult to determine and its often good to use flight distance and flight time as a good proxy.

Fred
Image
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2994
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 pm

zeke wrote:
travelhound wrote:
As posted on the Australian Aviation thread yesterday (by oskarclare), Etihad flew a 787-10 between AUD and BNE, a 7462 mile or 14 hour trip.


So an aircraft with a design range of 6430 nm with 330 passengers and baggage completed a trip of 6485 nm half empty and that is supposed to be impressive?

You do know the difference between a mile and a nautical mile ?


You know it was half empty how? Can I see some sources? The flight is typically operated by the 300 seat 787-9 configuration so I doubt it was half empty.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:28 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
travelhound wrote:
As speculated, we assume the aircraft flew light with a reduced passenger and freight load. Still, quite an impressive flight considering the published range of the aircraft.


Unil those restrictions are known - with specificity and confidence - there really isn't much to say. I would be skeptical of assertions that Boeing has severely underrated range on standard conditions.


He didn’t postulate that it was severely underrated and for your point on knowing the restrictions, the next paragraph from the OP said:

It would be good to hear from A.net members who have more information on this flight. Some of our more technical minded /experienced posters could enlighten us on how this flight was possible
 
81819
Topic Author
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards
 
9Patch
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:44 pm

travelhound wrote:
Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards

SeatGuru says Etihad's 787-10 has 289 seats (22 business and 267 standard) so an 86.3% load factor is 249 passengers.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etiha ... 787-10.php
 
chiki
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:19 pm

9Patch wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards

SeatGuru says Etihad's 787-10 has 289 seats (22 business and 267 standard) so an 86.3% load factor is 249 passengers.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etiha ... 787-10.php
It's actually 299 seat, but 32 business

Sent from my SM-J415F using Tapatalk
 
waly777
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:20 pm

9Patch wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards

SeatGuru says Etihad's 787-10 has 289 seats (22 business and 267 standard) so an 86.3% load factor is 249 passengers.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etiha ... 787-10.php


Seatguru is incorrect. EY 787 config:

787-9 has 299 seats (28J, 271Y)

787-10 has 336 seats. (32J, 304Y)
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3698
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 pm

That's impressive if the load factor is accurate. The 78X has a bit of an A330 potential in it. With performance improvements down the line, the frame becomes more and more lucrative.
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:27 pm

Simple truth is that the 787-10 has the same fuel capacity as the 787-9/8 so the -10 can fly nearly the same distance but in order to carry all the fuel you have to sacrifice load.

United got ETOPS 240 for -10 so that it could fill in for a -9 if needed. There will come a day when a -9 goes tech in LAX and a -10 will fly to MEL, and everyone on here will go nuts........
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 838
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 pm

This has been discussed endlessly. The consensus is the 787-10 is a 5000nm plane with a 35 ton payload, even against westerly winds. It can comfortably fly 6000nm with full pax and bags. The flight profile mentioned in the OP should be zero surprise to anyone.

As for NZ. They can fly the 787-10 to LAX or SFO with meaningful cargo. Whether or not they choose to do so is a different matter. Whenever anyone mentions a flight like EWR to TLV on a 787-10 many seemed surprised. They shouldn't be.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
xwb777
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Eyad89 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Generally yes, but if it is a local holiday then it stands to reason that there will be a higher proportion of UAE O&D pax.

However if the holiday was affecting loads then it would be in the direction AUH-BNE, with the winds behind them.


What holiday are Emiratis having now?


Commemoration Day and National day. 28th until 4th Dec.
 
User avatar
Antaras
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:38 am

JustSomeDood wrote:
Even higher density configured -10s (VN with 367 seats) should have no issues flying 10-11 hr routes with no payload penalty.

The longest route HVN will operate by B78X is SGN-ICN, 2209 miles - less than 5 hrs flights. HVN will not use its 78X for any other longer routes, that's the reason why VN config the 78Xs so dense.
Last edited by Antaras on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:59 am

Delta28L wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
So what? United flies a 787 from SFO to SIN, which is 16 hours.


787-9 version not a 787-10


UA starts SFO-AKL this week with the 787-10 will be an interesting one to following over this busy southern summer travel period, and if there are any tropical fuel stops when required.

When QF used to use the 743 on LAX-AKL it made it most of the time, although if there was head winds or weather in route it would need to stop on HNL or NAN for fuel.

I would compare the 744/743 and the 789/78J to be simlair, eg both could fly the route in conditions, just one of them has more limitations in certain conditions.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 am

waly777 wrote:
9Patch wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards

SeatGuru says Etihad's 787-10 has 289 seats (22 business and 267 standard) so an 86.3% load factor is 249 passengers.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etiha ... 787-10.php


Seatguru is incorrect. EY 787 config:

787-9 has 299 seats (28J, 271Y)

787-10 has 336 seats. (32J, 304Y)


That is correct, based on 336 seats and a LF of 86.3% there were 290 passengers on board
Forum Moderator
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 am

PANAMsterdam wrote:
It is a bit off topic but could you please tell me more about this unexpectedly better than expected range of the 77W or have a link about it? Couldn’t find it


I was doing some research about this a while ago. 77W development is a deep rabbit hole to go down, but I found a source that sums it up succinctly: https://leehamnews.com/2011/06/23/leahy ... mment-6844

Upgrades to the GE90-115B in 2005 improved fuel burn by a further 1.5%. Boeing continued iterating on engine and aerodynamics improvements starting in the late 2000s, as the global financial meltdown of 2008-09 increased the urgency with which airlines needed more efficient aircraft, especially with the continued delays in 787 and A350 production. It was around this time, as more and more 744s were being retired, that the 77W became a true juggernaut.

Further reading:
https://medium.com/@O530CarrisPT/boeing ... 41b1e55a39
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... le-225112/
 
JustSomeDood
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:08 am

Antaras wrote:
JustSomeDood wrote:
Even higher density configured -10s (VN with 367 seats) should have no issues flying 10-11 hr routes with no payload penalty.

The longest route HVN will operate by B78X is SGN-ICN, 2209 miles - less than 5 hrs flights. HVN will not use its 78X for any other longer routes, that's the reason why VN config the 78Xs so dense.


I guess we'll see what they do with the -10s once more arrive and get integrated, certainly wouldn't bet on the longest routes staying <5 hrs. Their -9s and A350s fly a lot of Oceania /Europe routes which could be subbed in with these to free up those frames for NA flights, if that's what VN wants.
 
UALMMFlyer
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 am

I was on the IAD-PEK 787-10 flight in August. Loads seemed to be good. I was in Polaris cabin minding my own business as I was busily preparing for my meeting upon landing.

I am not an aviation techie like many on this board, but I was under the impression 787-10 could not flown that far with a full load. I was impressed with the extra range and it was a very good flight. The flight was supposed to me 6,920 mile, but the IFE showed the actual flight path was just under 7,100 miles.
Treat others like you'd like to be treated!
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:22 am

zkncj wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
So what? United flies a 787 from SFO to SIN, which is 16 hours.


787-9 version not a 787-10


UA starts SFO-AKL this week with the 787-10 will be an interesting one to following over this busy southern summer travel period, and if there are any tropical fuel stops when required.

I can assure you UA ran all the numbers. If a fuel stop was even remotely possible, they wouldn’t put the bird on the route.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13278
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
If a fuel stop was even remotely possible, they wouldn’t put the bird on the route.

....huh? :lol:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
B747forever
Posts: 13853
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:29 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Delta28L wrote:

787-9 version not a 787-10


UA starts SFO-AKL this week with the 787-10 will be an interesting one to following over this busy southern summer travel period, and if there are any tropical fuel stops when required.

I can assure you UA ran all the numbers. If a fuel stop was even remotely possible, they wouldn’t put the bird on the route.


Oh really, the same way UA kept on operating 757s winter after winter on EWR-TATL despite a regular occurrence of fuel stops?
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
B747forever
Posts: 13853
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:29 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Delta28L wrote:

787-9 version not a 787-10


UA starts SFO-AKL this week with the 787-10 will be an interesting one to following over this busy southern summer travel period, and if there are any tropical fuel stops when required.

I can assure you UA ran all the numbers. If a fuel stop was even remotely possible, they wouldn’t put the bird on the route.


Oh really, the same way UA kept on operating 757s winter after winter on EWR-TATL despite a regular occurrence of fuel stops?
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
fessor
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:04 am

waly777 wrote:
9Patch wrote:
travelhound wrote:
Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards

SeatGuru says Etihad's 787-10 has 289 seats (22 business and 267 standard) so an 86.3% load factor is 249 passengers.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etiha ... 787-10.php


Seatguru is incorrect. EY 787 config:

787-9 has 299 seats (28J, 271Y)

787-10 has 336 seats. (32J, 304Y)


787-10 has 32j and 295Y as shown in Ethiad homepage.
 
User avatar
ElroyJetson
Posts: 838
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:48 am

zkncj wrote:
Delta28L wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
So what? United flies a 787 from SFO to SIN, which is 16 hours.


787-9 version not a 787-10


UA starts SFO-AKL this week with the 787-10 will be an interesting one to following over this busy southern summer travel period, and if there are any tropical fuel stops when required.

When QF used to use the 743 on LAX-AKL it made it most of the time, although if there was head winds or weather in route it would need to stop on HNL or NAN for fuel.

I would compare the 744/743 and the 789/78J to be simlair, eg both could fly the route in conditions, just one of them has more limitations in certain conditions.



SFO-AKL is 5700nm. The 787-10 should make this easily with full pax and bags.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:58 am

flipdewaf wrote:
JustSomeDood wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:

there are the IAD-PEK flight numbers (from Jayunited if I remember correctly) the numbers posted show the 787-10 falling exactly on the Boeing payload range chart for the 787-10.

Fred

As Boeing's payload range chart quotes [email protected] 330pax, the fact that UA's data supports the chart on a westbound TPAC route means that a 787-10 can fly 6000+nm routes with a full pax load in the real world, which should shut up some vocal advocates that claim the contrary. Even higher density configured -10s (VN with 367 seats) should have no issues flying 10-11 hr routes with no payload penalty.

I agree, there are people on here that like to use half truths to peddle their views. Once you have (or can calculate) the vital pieces of information on an aircraft it should be all settled but people like to assume one of the vital pieces then arguments ensue.
1. Takeoff weight
2. Landing weight
3. Still air range

The still air range is often difficult to determine and its often good to use flight distance and flight time as a good proxy.

Fred


It the frame can fly 6430nm still air it should easily be able to do 6485nm with heavy tail wind pushing it. After all the extra fuel burn would be BNE-AUH not AUH-BNE. Still air is the range the plane can fly with no headwinds or tailwinds.
 
waly777
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:01 am

fessor wrote:
waly777 wrote:
9Patch wrote:
SeatGuru says Etihad's 787-10 has 289 seats (22 business and 267 standard) so an 86.3% load factor is 249 passengers.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etiha ... 787-10.php


Seatguru is incorrect. EY 787 config:

787-9 has 299 seats (28J, 271Y)

787-10 has 336 seats. (32J, 304Y)


787-10 has 32j and 295Y as shown in Ethiad homepage.


Could you please refer me to where on the etihad homepage this config is shown?

If you refer to "our fleet" on etihad.com, it'll show you (up to 336 seats) for the 787 and you can then click on each seat map for the 787-9 2/3class, and 787-10.

787-9 3 cabin is 226 (formerly 235). 8F, 28J, 190Y
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15100
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:05 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:
It is a bit off topic but could you please tell me more about this unexpectedly better than expected range of the 77W or have a link about it? Couldn’t find it


I was doing some research about this a while ago. 77W development is a deep rabbit hole to go down, but I found a source that sums it up succinctly: https://leehamnews.com/2011/06/23/leahy ... mment-6844

Upgrades to the GE90-115B in 2005 improved fuel burn by a further 1.5%. Boeing continued iterating on engine and aerodynamics improvements starting in the late 2000s, as the global financial meltdown of 2008-09 increased the urgency with which airlines needed more efficient aircraft, especially with the continued delays in 787 and A350 production. It was around this time, as more and more 744s were being retired, that the 77W became a true juggernaut.

Further reading:
https://medium.com/@O530CarrisPT/boeing ... 41b1e55a39
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... le-225112/

The original proposal for the 77W was to be a replacement for 742/3. But throughout the development and testing phases, thd range kept increasing, until it was more capable than the 744. Within a year after EIS it approached 8000nm pax only range.

Not knly did it help kill the 744 and A340, it also made the 77L less desirable. Thst aircraft gained range, but range nobody needed. But the 77W ended up being capable of most of the routes you would buy the 77L for.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
fessor
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 am

waly777 wrote:
fessor wrote:
waly777 wrote:

Seatguru is incorrect. EY 787 config:

787-9 has 299 seats (28J, 271Y)

787-10 has 336 seats. (32J, 304Y)


787-10 has 32j and 295Y as shown in Ethiad homepage.


Could you please refer me to where on the etihad homepage this config is shown?

If you refer to "our fleet" on etihad.com, it'll show you (up to 336 seats) for the 787 and you can then click on each seat map for the 787-9 2/3class, and 787-10.

787-9 3 cabin is 226 (formerly 235). 8F, 28J, 190Y


And then count the Seats on the seatmap then I come to that number.
Also if i call i get same information
 
ShadowLaw
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:28 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Simple truth is that the 787-10 has the same fuel capacity as the 787-9/8 so the -10 can fly nearly the same distance but in order to carry all the fuel you have to sacrifice load.

United got ETOPS 240 for -10 so that it could fill in for a -9 if needed. There will come a day when a -9 goes tech in LAX and a -10 will fly to MEL, and everyone on here will go nuts........


This is the whole point of the 787-10 in a nutshell. This is the purpose for which it was built.
 
waly777
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:09 pm

fessor wrote:
waly777 wrote:
fessor wrote:

787-10 has 32j and 295Y as shown in Ethiad homepage.


Could you please refer me to where on the etihad homepage this config is shown?

If you refer to "our fleet" on etihad.com, it'll show you (up to 336 seats) for the 787 and you can then click on each seat map for the 787-9 2/3class, and 787-10.

787-9 3 cabin is 226 (formerly 235). 8F, 28J, 190Y


And then count the Seats on the seatmap then I come to that number.
Also if i call i get same information


Ah yes yes, my apologies. That's a planned config as a result of the economy space retrofit, the 787's will get them similar to the 777 and 380 fleets. The 787-10 is still 304Y total at this point.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15173
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:21 pm

ShadowLaw wrote:
This is the whole point of the 787-10 in a nutshell. This is the purpose for which it was built.


I cannot agree with you, there would be no business case for Boeing to develop and certify the 787-10 if the “whole point” was to develop an aircraft that would fly 14 hours with passengers and baggage with little or no cargo.

The worldwide demand for that capability is like 10-20 aircraft. No airline is buying the 787-10 just to serve that sort of role.

Look at the routes this particular airframe normally does, it will become apparent to you that thus was more of an anomaly than a regular occurrence.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
flyingfool
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:28 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:50 pm

travelhound wrote:
Hello All,

I have been informed the aircraft had a load factor of 86.3%.

Regards


That was on the BNE-AUH sector, AUH-BNE was 40,5%.
 
Zinu
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Re: 787-10 Performs 14 Hour Commercial Flight

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:35 pm

JustSomeDood wrote:
Antaras wrote:
JustSomeDood wrote:
Even higher density configured -10s (VN with 367 seats) should have no issues flying 10-11 hr routes with no payload penalty.

The longest route HVN will operate by B78X is SGN-ICN, 2209 miles - less than 5 hrs flights. HVN will not use its 78X for any other longer routes, that's the reason why VN config the 78Xs so dense.


I guess we'll see what they do with the -10s once more arrive and get integrated, certainly wouldn't bet on the longest routes staying <5 hrs. Their -9s and A350s fly a lot of Oceania /Europe routes which could be subbed in with these to free up those frames for NA flights, if that's what VN wants.


8 out of 11 787-9 currently being operated by VN have Premium Economy offering and currently being used for LHR, FRA and SYD ops from both SGN and HAN. Same for the A350-900(s) that are currently being used for MEL.

Unless the upcoming 787-10(s) will be configured with Premium Economy, I think the densest 787-10 will continue to be used for high demand routes to ICN, PUS and domestic operations between SGN and HAN (or DAD) to compete effectively against the LCC. The landing slots at SGN and HAN are very restricted and congested at the moment so the 787-10 will be very useful for domestic ops.

Japan, China and Russia (from HAN) may also be potential future destinations for the 787-10 operations as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos