airguardtn
Topic Author

The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Since Memphis and Nashville have a thread someone thought this may be a good idea for the rest of the state.

TYSflyer

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. I wanted to start one a while back but wasn’t sure if there would be enough interest to get it going. CHA and TYS, like many similar sized airports, have both had considerable passenger growth recently. TYS will easily eclipse 2.5 million passengers this year. I was thrilled to see TRI recently get DFW service after a significant period of time of little new service announcements.

TYSflyer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:10 pm

In regards to TRI, do they still have the outdoor observation area? It was one of my favorite outdoor observation areas. I spent a significant amount of time there in the 90s watching ASA Embraer 120s, Delta 737-200s, US Air F100s and NW Airlink Saabs. I think the terminal remodeling may have taken it away, but I haven’t been there in over 20 years to see it for myself.

LAXffDUB

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 pm

I use TYS regularly. It always amazes me to find it is still not served by public transit. There should be a bus service connecting it to the city and university but MKAA, KAT and UT don't seem too concerned.

tys777

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:44 pm

LAXffDUB wrote:
I use TYS regularly. It always amazes me to find it is still not served by public transit. There should be a bus service connecting it to the city and university but MKAA, KAT and UT don't seem too concerned.

Too far out of town for effective public transit service.

TYSflyer

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:01 pm

LAXffDUB wrote:

Supposedly bus service was studied several years ago by the city. At that time there was not enough service to warrant scheduled shuttle service. However, that was back when the airport was floundering around 1.5-1.8 million passengers a year. The airport has had nice growth as well as many apartments/condos are either under construction or planned in the downtown region. Maybe revisiting that study would be worthwhile to the city. However, I doubt there is any incentive for the airport to spearhead this as it would likely reduce their revenue from parking somewhat.

comairguycvg

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:38 am

TYSflyer wrote:
In regards to TRI, do they still have the outdoor observation area? It was one of my favorite outdoor observation areas. I spent a significant amount of time there in the 90s watching ASA Embraer 120s, Delta 737-200s, US Air F100s and NW Airlink Saabs. I think the terminal remodeling may have taken it away, but I haven’t been there in over 20 years to see it for myself.

Yes TRI still has the outdoor observation area. The concourse limits the view when you try to look to the east. But it’s a good view from southeast to southwest.
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

southwest1675

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:09 am

Fellow BNA resident, any chance TRI, CHA, or TYS will see air service to Nashville again? I flew BNA-TYS on American Eagle back in the hub days in Nashville, and those flights were full. Granted, it was just a little JetStream, and 25 years ago, but I just thought it was reliable service. Contour? Southern Airways Express? Some rich guy doing a start up?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

n2dru

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:42 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fellow BNA resident, any chance TRI, CHA, or TYS will see air service to Nashville again? I flew BNA-TYS on American Eagle back in the hub days in Nashville, and those flights were full. Granted, it was just a little JetStream, and 25 years ago, but I just thought it was reliable service. Contour? Southern Airways Express? Some rich guy doing a start up?

Probably not...these days driving is the main force behind such routes. Plus what airlines would even fly those routes?! I think those days of mainline airlines flying CHA to TYS or ATL to MCN are gone. The car has prevailed especially when you factor in TSA, parking etc for those short hops like you mentioned.

southwest1675

Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:28 am

n2dru wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Probably not...these days driving is the main force behind such routes. Plus what airlines would even fly those routes?! I think those days of mainline airlines flying CHA to TYS or ATL to MCN are gone. The car has prevailed especially when you factor in TSA, parking etc for those short hops like you mentioned.

Very true. Factor in a delay, and you were definitely better off driving. Times have changed.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

L410Turbolet

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:09 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
I was thrilled to see TRI recently get DFW service after a significant period of time of little new service announcements.

Any chance of Chicago service coming back?

TYSflyer

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:59 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
I was thrilled to see TRI recently get DFW service after a significant period of time of little new service announcements.

Any chance of Chicago service coming back?

I would think so especially with AA recent foray into some of these smaller markets from ORD. I doubt it will happen soon though given they just launched DFW.

TYSflyer

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:16 pm

comairguycvg wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Yes TRI still has the outdoor observation area. The concourse limits the view when you try to look to the east. But it’s a good view from southeast to southwest.

Thanks! I need to get up there sometime to see it again. It has been far too long since the last time I visited.

LAXffDUB

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:18 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
LAXffDUB wrote:

Supposedly bus service was studied several years ago by the city. At that time there was not enough service to warrant scheduled shuttle service. However, that was back when the airport was floundering around 1.5-1.8 million passengers a year. The airport has had nice growth as well as many apartments/condos are either under construction or planned in the downtown region. Maybe revisiting that study would be worthwhile to the city. However, I doubt there is any incentive for the airport to spearhead this as it would likely reduce their revenue from parking somewhat.

I recall those discussions as well. I only hope the come to fruition sooner rather than later. TYS is isolated from the metropolitan area it is supposed to be serving. The only way to get to it is by car with the Alcoa highway (Route 129) leaving much to be desired at times. I know it's in the process of being upgraded but that is long term and I doubt there are any plans for a bus lane being included.

Web

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Anyone know when runway 5L/23R at TYS will be completed? They've been working on it for years. By comparison, DTW just rebuilt 3L/21R in 9 months; granted it's a major hub, but still...

TYSflyer

Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Web wrote:
Anyone know when runway 5L/23R at TYS will be completed? They've been working on it for years. By comparison, DTW just rebuilt 3L/21R in 9 months; granted it's a major hub, but still...

https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/airp ... 6aac0.html

The runway reconstruction was completed a few months ago. However lighting, taxiway work and ILS installation still yet to be completed. Per this article hope to be completed in late 2021. This definitely seems slow, but I do understand they are doing a good deal of rehab to the taxiways as well.

airguardtn
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread. I wanted to start one a while back but wasn’t sure if there would be enough interest to get it going. CHA and TYS, like many similar sized airports, have both had considerable passenger growth recently. TYS will easily eclipse 2.5 million passengers this year. I was thrilled to see TRI recently get DFW service after a significant period of time of little new service announcements.

I saw your post in the KY aviation that suggested this thread so I did it. I feel that we will have enough interest and news to keep it going. Would love it if someone has old/new pictures of the various airport.

SmokinL1011

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:05 am

n2dru wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Actually, DL run one MD88 and two 717 flights daily between CHA and ATL.

airtrantpa

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:23 am

we should rename this thread the Eastern Tennessee thread
AVL my new Hometown airport! Farewell TPA

jmc1975

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 am

airtrantpa wrote:

Well, Jackson, TN (MKL) used to have commercial airline service.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:55 am

jmc1975 wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

Well, Jackson, TN (MKL) used to have commercial airline service.

Still does, via Air Choice One.

airguardtn
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am

airtrantpa wrote:

I thought about doing that but was afraid that we may not have enough news, info or interest to keep the thread alive.

alo2yyz

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:07 am

LAXffDUB wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
LAXffDUB wrote:

I recall those discussions as well. I only hope the come to fruition sooner rather than later. TYS is isolated from the metropolitan area it is supposed to be serving. The only way to get to it is by car with the Alcoa highway (Route 129) leaving much to be desired at times. I know it's in the process of being upgraded but that is long term and I doubt there are any plans for a bus lane being included.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but if Nashville (bigger airport, so presumably more demand) can't manage to run an airport bus with a regular and reasonable (<30min) headway/spacing (it's generally 45min between buses on weekdays but that can stretch to an hour around 4:30-5:30pm), I can't imagine how Knoxville will ever get around to it.

Who wants to wait 45-60min for a 20min bus ride?

tys777

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:42 pm

CHA planning terminal expansion.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bus ... S-DZ8gjIUQ

Much needed in my opinion. Most of the day, DL is boarding 3 flights out of two gates, and in general the morning is chaos with no room for plans, people etc...

TYSflyer

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:46 pm

tys777 wrote:

Much needed in my opinion. Most of the day, DL is boarding 3 flights out of two gates, and in general the morning is chaos with no room for plans, people etc...

I figured that they would be expanding soon. That article was from several months ago. Have you seen any renderings for the expansion?

tys777

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

I figured that they would be expanding soon. That article was from several months ago. Have you seen any renderings for the expansion?

I have not. I'm going to guess it will be a second 5 gate concourse that will be to the left behind the cafe and then a common security area where the cafe is. Would also expect some actual post security amenities.

NLINK

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:30 pm

When the Chattanooga airport was rebuilt the original plans was an eventual 2nd concourse parallel behind baggage claim thru the open area to the left of TSA screening. I'm not sure after 9/11 how much the plans have changed with all the new requirements. I found this link of a potential drawing which looks similar.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 180820.pdf

We basically had 5 loading doors at the top but could be divided into 6 gates if needed. On the right side at gate 2 we could have 2 50 seat jets at one time, then at Gate 4 I believe only 1 50 seat jet.. On gate 1 US Air had 2 RON's that they could use a jetway on and Delta used Gate 3 and 5. with a combination of equipment.

Room wise it would be tough to expand gate 5 outward due to the taxisway. It was tight back then when a MD80 was parked there.

tys777

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:51 pm

NLINK wrote:
When the Chattanooga airport was rebuilt the original plans was an eventual 2nd concourse parallel behind baggage claim thru the open area to the left of TSA screening. I'm not sure after 9/11 how much the plans have changed with all the new requirements. I found this link of a potential drawing which looks similar.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 180820.pdf

We basically had 5 loading doors at the top but could be divided into 6 gates if needed. On the right side at gate 2 we could have 2 50 seat jets at one time, then at Gate 4 I believe only 1 50 seat jet.. On gate 1 US Air had 2 RON's that they could use a jetway on and Delta used Gate 3 and 5. with a combination of equipment.

Room wise it would be tough to expand gate 5 outward due to the taxisway. It was tight back then when a MD80 was parked there.

Current plan is to move the GA hangers/facility to elsewhere on the property then opening up that area for terminal expansion as you linked to. They also need to get the parking garage built ASAP, the offsite economy parking is a mess. It'll be nice if they can get it built, the current set up is stressed on a good day.

DL is a cluster with lots of apron boarding. Also, at last check AA was running a split operation between 1 and 4. UA at 2, and DL with their mess at 3/5. With an expansion, I think DL would have 3 gates. AA 2, UA 1, G4 1, and then a gate for charters, and 2 for future growth/overnighted planes. I think 10 is a decent number of gates. CHA is experiencing over 11% yoy growth currently and I dont see that slowing down. The only airline down is G4, but otherwise the trend is sharply up.

TYSflyer

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:01 pm

On the TYS front, UA recently loaded an ungauge on TYS-DEN. The flight currently runs twice daily 2 E145 with occasional subs of CR7/E175. However, starting in April, both daily flights have been changed to E175s through the booking window. The flight is right at 1200 miles so it had to be one of their longer flights remaining on a 50 seat aircraft.

dennypayne

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:53 pm

LAXffDUB wrote:
TYS is isolated from the metropolitan area it is supposed to be serving. The only way to get to it is by car with the Alcoa highway (Route 129) leaving much to be desired at times. I know it's in the process of being upgraded but that is long term and I doubt there are any plans for a bus lane being included.

I don't think it's much more than $10-15 for an Uber to get to downtown/UT so I don't imagine there's many people looking for a bus. It's not like DEN out in the middle of nowhere.

Regarding the Alcoa Hwy upgrade, I just dropped my wife off the other day and they've closed the original Hunt Rd entrance to the airport and have instead opened up a little winding path around the Endeavor Air office to get back over towards Cirrus & the Hilton. I've seen the rendering of what the end result is supposed to look like but I'm still unclear on how all the entrances will ultimately work.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42

TYSflyer

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:27 am

dennypayne wrote:
LAXffDUB wrote:
TYS is isolated from the metropolitan area it is supposed to be serving. The only way to get to it is by car with the Alcoa highway (Route 129) leaving much to be desired at times. I know it's in the process of being upgraded but that is long term and I doubt there are any plans for a bus lane being included.

I don't think it's much more than $10-15 for an Uber to get to downtown/UT so I don't imagine there's many people looking for a bus. It's not like DEN out in the middle of nowhere.

Regarding the Alcoa Hwy upgrade, I just dropped my wife off the other day and they've closed the original Hunt Rd entrance to the airport and have instead opened up a little winding path around the Endeavor Air office to get back over towards Cirrus & the Hilton. I've seen the rendering of what the end result is supposed to look like but I'm still unclear on how all the entrances will ultimately work.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgvPfeowts

You may have already seen this video but it offers the best views of the Alcoa Highway project around the airport. It is from TDOT. The scale of the project is large but the relocation of Alcoa Highway around the motor mile is the largest aspect of the entire project. It will probably be very nice once it is all completed, but it is going to be rather painful over the next several years.

dennypayne

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 am

TYSflyer wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgvPfeowts

You may have already seen this video but it offers the best views of the Alcoa Highway project around the airport. It is from TDOT. The scale of the project is large but the relocation of Alcoa Highway around the motor mile is the largest aspect of the entire project. It will probably be very nice once it is all completed, but it is going to be rather painful over the next several years.

Yes 0:50 - 1:10 in that video shows a rather complex interchange that I'm still trying to process how to navigate. :lol: Just can't quite make out how it meshes with the terminal roads, particularly for exiting the airport.

tnair1974

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:29 am

Nice to see this new thread for Tennessee.

Anybody have a grasp why AA deploys certain Eagle carriers to certain destinations from DFW? While this is of course a low season period, seasonal loads seem to hardly be the only answer. Maybe changing yields between seasons? Anyway, DFW-TYS had Envoy E70s and (seasonal) AA mainline last summer. But now the nice E70s have been replaced by CR9s and some CR7s. Including by Mesa CR9s which have had not-so-great reliability compared to other regional carriers. Meanwhile, DFW-EVV has gone from Messedup...er Mesa CR9s to Envoy 70s. Good for Evansville, but still.

DFW-CHA still gets one daily Envoy 70 but also two Mesa CR9s. DFW-LEX is all Envoy 70s.

TYSflyer

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:02 pm

tnair1974 wrote:

Anybody have a grasp why AA deploys certain Eagle carriers to certain destinations from DFW? While this is of course a low season period, seasonal loads seem to hardly be the only answer. Maybe changing yields between seasons? Anyway, DFW-TYS had Envoy E70s and (seasonal) AA mainline last summer. But now the nice E70s have been replaced by CR9s and some CR7s. Including by Mesa CR9s which have had not-so-great reliability compared to other regional carriers. Meanwhile, DFW-EVV has gone from Messedup...er Mesa CR9s to Envoy 70s. Good for Evansville, but still.

DFW-CHA still gets one daily Envoy 70 but also two Mesa CR9s. DFW-LEX is all Envoy 70s.

I don’t have a great answer to your question, but I do think it is multifactorial at least at TYS. TYS is a pilot base for PSA, and PSA just recently started doing turns to DFW. Currently 2 of the CR9 flights on TYS-DFW are currently operated by PSA. Further, Skywest frequently uses TYS to rotate aircraft between ORD and DFW. If you look at the evening flights at TYS a CR7 arrives from DFW and departs to ORD and vice versa. This is not the only station they do this but may in part explain the reason that TYS gets a variety of regional carriers on these routes. In regards to AA mainline, I was thrilled when it returned last year only to see it end after the busy summer season. Hoping it returns this summer. There are similar stage length routes out of DFW (like CAE) that have less traffic but operate mainline year round. They have chosen increased regional frequency at TYS over mainline for some reason.

tys777

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:53 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

I don’t have a great answer to your question, but I do think it is multifactorial at least at TYS. TYS is a pilot base for PSA, and PSA just recently started doing turns to DFW. Currently 2 of the CR9 flights on TYS-DFW are currently operated by PSA. Further, Skywest frequently uses TYS to rotate aircraft between ORD and DFW. If you look at the evening flights at TYS a CR7 arrives from DFW and departs to ORD and vice versa. This is not the only station they do this but may in part explain the reason that TYS gets a variety of regional carriers on these routes. In regards to AA mainline, I was thrilled when it returned last year only to see it end after the busy summer season. Hoping it returns this summer. There are similar stage length routes out of DFW (like CAE) that have less traffic but operate mainline year round. They have chosen increased regional frequency at TYS over mainline for some reason.

Is TYS still a FA base for PSA as well? Pretty sure I've flown with some based out of there.

Always nice to see mainline on non DL carriers. While the CR9 isnt sext by any means, it is still good to see continued expansion of first class in the market. Only a few years ago it was hard to find that even.

TYSflyer

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:04 pm

tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

Is TYS still a FA base for PSA as well? Pretty sure I've flown with some based out of there.

Always nice to see mainline on non DL carriers. While the CR9 isnt sext by any means, it is still good to see continued expansion of first class in the market. Only a few years ago it was hard to find that even.

Yes, it is a crew base for both pilots and FAs.

You are exactly right about the 2 class RJs. Not that long ago TYS just had a glut of 50 seat RJs and the only airline that regularly offered anything more was DL. We always long for more, but it is so easy to forget about how far we have come. I’m old enough to remember all the mainline TYS had in the 80s and 90s but much of that was on DC9-10 sized planes which are equivalent in size to large RJs today.

tnair1974

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:10 am

TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

You are exactly right about the 2 class RJs. Not that long ago TYS just had a glut of 50 seat RJs and the only airline that regularly offered anything more was DL. We always long for more, but it is so easy to forget about how far we have come. I’m old enough to remember all the mainline TYS had in the 80s and 90s but much of that was on DC9-10 sized planes which are equivalent in size to large RJs today.

Nice memories of decades past.

I recall TW and especially NW/Republic using "baby" nines into Knoxville. Did a few hops via DC-9-10s TYS-MEM, more often DC-9-10s (and D93s) TYS-DTW and for that matter SDF-DTW. Despite their relatively advanced age, the NW DC-9-10 interiors looked as well maintained as the DC-9-50s.

DiamondFlyer

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:44 am

tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:

Like it or not, with TYS having not 1 but 2 regionals with MX bases there, you’re always going to see the regional jets.
From my cold, dead hands

tnair1974

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:37 am

tnair1974 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

Nice memories of decades past.

I recall TW and especially NW/Republic using "baby" nines into Knoxville. Did a few hops via DC-9-10s TYS-MEM, more often DC-9-10s (and D93s) TYS-DTW and for that matter SDF-DTW. Despite their relatively advanced age, the NW DC-9-10 interiors looked as well maintained as the DC-9-50s.

Neglected to add Republic/NW DC-9-10s also did CHA-MEM as well. IIRC, CHA converted from NW to NW Airlink a relatively short time later while TYS stayed NW or at least had a mix of NW/NW Airlink.

tnair1974

Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:04 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

Like it or not, with TYS having not 1 but 2 regionals with MX bases there, you’re always going to see the regional jets.

Similar situation at SDF. Mesa is one of several regionals there with MX/flight crew bases. Mesa CR9s are currently the only AA DFW-SDF service (no other Eagle affiliates, and mainline from DFW ended recently and won't be back until early next year). It's no big secret that Mesa AmEagle CR9s have poor reliability. As mentioned earlier, a few Mesa CR9s also fly DFW-TYS and DFW-CHA.

At least WN has DAL-SDF as an alternative. Sure wish WN would come to TYS (or Air Tran had not pulled out), but don't see this happening anytime soon.

slvrblt

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Back in the early '80's, when I was going to UT, TYS had L1011's flying in and out from DL, and even got an oddball DC-8 one time. That was fun, those L10's would fly pretty low out of ATL, as it was just a short flight, skimming over the mountains before dropping down into TYS.
..everything works out in the end.

TYSflyer

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:28 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

Similar situation at SDF. Mesa is one of several regionals there with MX/flight crew bases. Mesa CR9s are currently the only AA DFW-SDF service (no other Eagle affiliates, and mainline from DFW ended recently and won't be back until early next year). It's no big secret that Mesa AmEagle CR9s have poor reliability. As mentioned earlier, a few Mesa CR9s also fly DFW-TYS and DFW-CHA.

At least WN has DAL-SDF as an alternative. Sure wish WN would come to TYS (or Air Tran had not pulled out), but don't see this happening anytime soon.

The million dollar question here in the Knoxville area. The airport authority meets with WN regularly and about this time last year the airport authority shortly after meeting with them stated that WN had deemed Knoxville a “high priority” city. I don’t know exactly what that means. They may have 20 cities deemed “high priority” or 3 cities. However this was obviously before the MAX debacle and growth plans have been scaled back somewhat I’m sure. Many people do not realize that Knoxville is one of the largest markets in terms of passenger volume not served by WN. Syracuse is slightly larger but they also have B6 and closer to ROC than Knoxville is to BNA. Given the growth at TYS I genuinely do not think it will continue to be ignored by WN. But I’m also from this area so I admit that I am biased.

TYSflyer

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:32 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

You are exactly right. Having MX bases at an airport like TYS are good and bad. I genuinely think that if Endeavor cut their MX base here at TYS the daily MSP flight would be gone shortly thereafter. However, DL runs less mainline flights into TYS compared to comparably sized markets due to the number of Endeavor aircraft that rotate through for maintenance.

plinth857

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Interestingly, I did an award booking through AA, and it routed me through CHA on a very interesting itinerary. The layover is about 4 and a half hours in the middle of the day. Is it worth taking a quick trip to the city to look around?

airtechy

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:21 pm

My first commercial flight was TYS to ATL on a Delta DC-7 in 1966. Somewhere I have a pic of the DC-7 taken from a upper viewing deck.

Jim

LabQuest

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Does anyone know how the Cirrus operation in TYS is doing?

dennypayne

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:35 am

slvrblt wrote:
Back in the early '80's, when I was going to UT, TYS had L1011's flying in and out from DL, and even got an oddball DC-8 one time. That was fun, those L10's would fly pretty low out of ATL, as it was just a short flight, skimming over the mountains before dropping down into TYS.

IIRC the L-1011's were just used during the 1982 World's Fair. I seem to remember several DC-8 rides as well.

TYSflyer wrote:
I genuinely think that if Endeavor cut their MX base here at TYS the daily MSP flight would be gone shortly thereafter.

That would suck because I use it a fair amount to get back from Seattle - it's about the straightest shot back from there - certainly better than a DTW connection. Breaks up the flight time better than an ATL connection too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos