iflyalexair
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:54 am

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:55 pm

I worked for US in 2005-2007 at TYS. I had a blast.

Nice to revisit some memories of McGhee Tyson!
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:22 am

dennypayne wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
I've never gone out of TYS/CHA on anything bigger than a 722, but know several that were fortunate to get a ride to/from TYS on DC-8s/TriStars. I at least got to go on DL (and TW) L-1011s and DL DC-8s (on a more vintage DC-8-50 with the older P&W turbofans at that).

I think the normal contingent for most airlines at the time coming through TYS was DC-9s and 722s, with maybe a smattering of 732s? The last flight from ATL each day typically flew to CHA first and then on to TYS, and I was on that flight several times. The flight time on the 2nd leg was maybe 10 minutes. Like a parabolic arc. :lol:

Anyway, not sure if we wanted to drag this thread too much into the past - I'm glad it's here and hopefully we can keep it going with new news as well. 8-)

Can't resist adding one more blast from about the mid 1970s. My parents/aunt/uncle have talked about DL flights like ATL-CHA-TYS-LEX-CVG-DTW (might have left out DAY or CMH?).... even if it was on a big 722. It's as if in some ways things had not changed much since the days of Daddy Warbucks when he wryly said that on his most recent trip his plane only made six stops. :lol:

With the recent positive news bits that have been talked about on this new thread, at least one recent setback is that United Express discontinued CHA-IAD earlier this month. True, UA's IAD hub has not exactly been robust over the decades (international UA flights have fared better than UA domestic service out of IAD). PSA still provides American Eagle service CHA-DCA even if it's only one daily flight and the times may not be all that optimal thus leakage to TYS and ATL.
 
airguardtn
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:27 pm

LabQuest wrote:
Does anyone know how the Cirrus operation in TYS is doing?



Doing will well! Has 3 or 4 hangers and a state of the art building for the flight sims. Tons of new Cirrus planes setting on the ramp and a lot of traffic daily with folks doing their Embark Training.
 
konrad
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:54 am

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Speaking of TYS, wasn't there a Tennessee National Air Guard Hangar across the field from the terminal? I haven't been there since over ten years, what aircraft are they flying now?
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:37 pm

konrad wrote:
Speaking of TYS, wasn't there a Tennessee National Air Guard Hangar across the field from the terminal? I haven't been there since over ten years, what aircraft are they flying now?


They still fly the re-engined KC-135 but I have seen the new KC-46 (767) stop by occasionally, so I suppose they may eventually transition to that.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42
 
rexchase12
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 am

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:56 am

Kudos for starting this thread! It got me to look about TYS's website and found a podcast about TYS marketing toward new airlines and new service. https://fromtherunwayup.com/2019/06/10/ ... w-airline/
Also the travel logistics of UT athletics https://fromtherunwayup.com/2019/10/10/ ... r-flights/
Very interesting, great job TYS!
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:48 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
I've never gone out of TYS/CHA on anything bigger than a 722, but know several that were fortunate to get a ride to/from TYS on DC-8s/TriStars. I at least got to go on DL (and TW) L-1011s and DL DC-8s (on a more vintage DC-8-50 with the older P&W turbofans at that).

I think the normal contingent for most airlines at the time coming through TYS was DC-9s and 722s, with maybe a smattering of 732s? The last flight from ATL each day typically flew to CHA first and then on to TYS, and I was on that flight several times. The flight time on the 2nd leg was maybe 10 minutes. Like a parabolic arc. :lol:

Anyway, not sure if we wanted to drag this thread too much into the past - I'm glad it's here and hopefully we can keep it going with new news as well. 8-)

Can't resist adding one more blast from about the mid 1970s. My parents/aunt/uncle have talked about DL flights like ATL-CHA-TYS-LEX-CVG-DTW (might have left out DAY or CMH?).... even if it was on a big 722. It's as if in some ways things had not changed much since the days of Daddy Warbucks when he wryly said that on his most recent trip his plane only made six stops. :lol:

With the recent positive news bits that have been talked about on this new thread, at least one recent setback is that United Express discontinued CHA-IAD earlier this month. True, UA's IAD hub has not exactly been robust over the decades (international UA flights have fared better than UA domestic service out of IAD). PSA still provides American Eagle service CHA-DCA even if it's only one daily flight and the times may not be all that optimal thus leakage to TYS and ATL.

I am somewhat surprised by United ending CHA-IAD too. I thought they were attempting to strengthen their position in the southeast through IAD. United can be somewhat perplexing. At TYS for example, one month they will run numerous 2 class RJs with the following month all 50 seaters. It has to be frustrating if one is a business traveler using United at TYS. With that being said, they have loaded primarily all CRJ550 TYS-ORD starting in June.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:58 pm

I enjoy the discussion about historical flights. I have been trying for years to track down pictures of when the UT band chartered a NWA 747 to fly to Arizona for the national championship football game. I don’t remember if it was a 200 or 400 series as they were flying both at the time. I saw it land and drove to the airport and watched them load it. It parked at the old NWA gate and a DC9 was next to it which it obviously dwarfed in size. I didn’t have an easy way to take a picture, and I have always regretted that. I emailed the airport authority several years ago to see if they had any pictures, but they did not even reply.
 
airguardtn
Topic Author
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:01 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
I think the normal contingent for most airlines at the time coming through TYS was DC-9s and 722s, with maybe a smattering of 732s? The last flight from ATL each day typically flew to CHA first and then on to TYS, and I was on that flight several times. The flight time on the 2nd leg was maybe 10 minutes. Like a parabolic arc. :lol:

Anyway, not sure if we wanted to drag this thread too much into the past - I'm glad it's here and hopefully we can keep it going with new news as well. 8-)

Can't resist adding one more blast from about the mid 1970s. My parents/aunt/uncle have talked about DL flights like ATL-CHA-TYS-LEX-CVG-DTW (might have left out DAY or CMH?).... even if it was on a big 722. It's as if in some ways things had not changed much since the days of Daddy Warbucks when he wryly said that on his most recent trip his plane only made six stops. :lol:

With the recent positive news bits that have been talked about on this new thread, at least one recent setback is that United Express discontinued CHA-IAD earlier this month. True, UA's IAD hub has not exactly been robust over the decades (international UA flights have fared better than UA domestic service out of IAD). PSA still provides American Eagle service CHA-DCA even if it's only one daily flight and the times may not be all that optimal thus leakage to TYS and ATL.

I am somewhat surprised by United ending CHA-IAD too. I thought they were attempting to strengthen their position in the southeast through IAD. United can be somewhat perplexing. At TYS for example, one month they will run numerous 2 class RJs with the following month all 50 seaters. It has to be frustrating if one is a business traveler using United at TYS. With that being said, they have loaded primarily all CRJ550 TYS-ORD starting in June.


MEM does not and has not had direct service to IAD via United. Probably one of the largest airports east of the Mississippi that does not have direct service to IAD.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:52 pm

airguardtn wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
Can't resist adding one more blast from about the mid 1970s. My parents/aunt/uncle have talked about DL flights like ATL-CHA-TYS-LEX-CVG-DTW (might have left out DAY or CMH?).... even if it was on a big 722. It's as if in some ways things had not changed much since the days of Daddy Warbucks when he wryly said that on his most recent trip his plane only made six stops. :lol:

With the recent positive news bits that have been talked about on this new thread, at least one recent setback is that United Express discontinued CHA-IAD earlier this month. True, UA's IAD hub has not exactly been robust over the decades (international UA flights have fared better than UA domestic service out of IAD). PSA still provides American Eagle service CHA-DCA even if it's only one daily flight and the times may not be all that optimal thus leakage to TYS and ATL.

I am somewhat surprised by United ending CHA-IAD too. I thought they were attempting to strengthen their position in the southeast through IAD. United can be somewhat perplexing. At TYS for example, one month they will run numerous 2 class RJs with the following month all 50 seaters. It has to be frustrating if one is a business traveler using United at TYS. With that being said, they have loaded primarily all CRJ550 TYS-ORD starting in June.


MEM does not and has not had direct service to IAD via United. Probably one of the largest airports east of the Mississippi that does not have direct service to IAD.


I was surprised that they don’t have at least a summer seasonal flight to IAD but maybe UA wants push all the passengers through a different hub. If the IAD build up goes well for UA maybe in the future they could see a flight on a CRJ or ERJ to IAD.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Delta28L wrote:
airguardtn wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
I am somewhat surprised by United ending CHA-IAD too. I thought they were attempting to strengthen their position in the southeast through IAD. United can be somewhat perplexing. At TYS for example, one month they will run numerous 2 class RJs with the following month all 50 seaters. It has to be frustrating if one is a business traveler using United at TYS. With that being said, they have loaded primarily all CRJ550 TYS-ORD starting in June.


MEM does not and has not had direct service to IAD via United. Probably one of the largest airports east of the Mississippi that does not have direct service to IAD.


I was surprised that they don’t have at least a summer seasonal flight to IAD but maybe UA wants push all the passengers through a different hub. If the IAD build up goes well for UA maybe in the future they could see a flight on a CRJ or ERJ to IAD.

I think I understood that with EWR's limited slots, UA was going to use that hub a little more for higher yield O&D traffic while having more people change planes at IAD instead. UA Ex SDF-IAD will actually be increased to three daily flights next spring. LEX-IAD was started earlier this year and seems to be doing ok, although that service came at the expense of losing LEX-EWR (unless that comes back next year as seasonal).
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:46 pm

At least for parts of the 2019 holidays, Delta CHA-ATL is strictly CR2 :devil: territory! Kind of like what so many flights out of CHA and TYS were like ten to fifteen years ago :( . No DL mainline TYS-ATL as well. Additional two class regional jets and some mainline should return after the new year.

AA TYS-DFW and CHA-DFW flights have taken it on the chin. Three Eagle flights out of TYS have been cancelled the last two days, two of them Mesa CR9s....the same flight two days in a row (AA 5797). Ditto AA 5864 two days in a row CHA-DFW (also Mesa CR9s) :banghead:
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:05 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
At least for parts of the 2019 holidays, Delta CHA-ATL is strictly CR2 :devil: territory! Kind of like what so many flights out of CHA and TYS were like ten to fifteen years ago :( . No DL mainline TYS-ATL as well. Additional two class regional jets and some mainline should return after the new year.

AA TYS-DFW and CHA-DFW flights have taken it on the chin. Three Eagle flights out of TYS have been cancelled the last two days, two of them Mesa CR9s....the same flight two days in a row (AA 5797). Ditto AA 5864 two days in a row CHA-DFW (also Mesa CR9s) :banghead:


Turns out DFW experienced heavy fog thus lots of flights were delayed/canceled. Not just Mesa and their CR9s (notorious for not-so-good reliability) but other AA affiliates such as Envoy.
 
WPvsMW
Posts: 2228
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:36 pm

plinth857 wrote:
Interestingly, I did an award booking through AA, and it routed me through CHA on a very interesting itinerary. The layover is about 4 and a half hours in the middle of the day. Is it worth taking a quick trip to the city to look around?


If you like coffee shops, Uber to downtown and back. Incredible coffee shop scene in downtown Chat, including walking between them. And... there's TN whiskey tasting tours, which some folks like.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:14 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
At least for parts of the 2019 holidays, Delta CHA-ATL is strictly CR2 :devil: territory! Kind of like what so many flights out of CHA and TYS were like ten to fifteen years ago :( . No DL mainline TYS-ATL as well. Additional two class regional jets and some mainline should return after the new year.

AA TYS-DFW and CHA-DFW flights have taken it on the chin. Three Eagle flights out of TYS have been cancelled the last two days, two of them Mesa CR9s....the same flight two days in a row (AA 5797). Ditto AA 5864 two days in a row CHA-DFW (also Mesa CR9s) :banghead:


Turns out DFW experienced heavy fog thus lots of flights were delayed/canceled. Not just Mesa and their CR9s (notorious for not-so-good reliability) but other AA affiliates such as Envoy.

Unfortunately it appears DFW-TYS is going all Mesa CR9s in April (all 5 flights). Not great from a reliability standpoint. However, still remains hard to believe how much that route has grown. Just 2-3 years ago it was 4 daily 50 seaters.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Looks like a DL 767-300 will be at TYS tomorrow afternoon I am assuming to fly UT down to JAX for the Gator Bowl. Oddly it is repositioning to TYS from BOS.
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Earlier this date, ExpressJet (callsign: Acey) Flight 4150, an Embraer E75L "Jungle Jet" flying HSV-ORD experienced icing issues & diverted to TYS, landing there at 10:38 A.M. Here is a link . . . https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASQ4150
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:13 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
Earlier this date, ExpressJet (callsign: Acey) Flight 4150, an Embraer E75L "Jungle Jet" flying HSV-ORD experienced icing issues & diverted to TYS, landing there at 10:38 A.M. Here is a link . . . https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASQ4150

I just saw it go over on its recovery flight back up to ORD.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 am

TYSflyer wrote:
Looks like a DL 767-300 will be at TYS tomorrow afternoon I am assuming to fly UT down to JAX for the Gator Bowl. Oddly it is repositioning to TYS from BOS.

Both a 763 and a 717.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX

Kentucky (UK) took a 767-300 LEX-CLT for the Belk Bowl. That 763 ferried in from and later back to RDU which seems just as odd.

True, DL is growing their BOS operations (including across the pond). Maybe some DL European flights from BOS and RDU are no-op on a few days during this holiday period thus the extra planes. But it's still somewhat automatic to expect DL repositions from ATL, DTW, JFK.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:19 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Looks like a DL 767-300 will be at TYS tomorrow afternoon I am assuming to fly UT down to JAX for the Gator Bowl. Oddly it is repositioning to TYS from BOS.

Both a 763 and a 717.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX

Kentucky (UK) took a 767-300 LEX-CLT for the Belk Bowl. That 763 ferried in from and later back to RDU which seems just as odd.

True, DL is growing their BOS operations (including across the pond). Maybe some DL European flights from BOS and RDU are no-op on a few days during this holiday period thus the extra planes. But it's still somewhat automatic to expect DL repositions from ATL, DTW, JFK.

Looks like the UT return trip will be via a DL A321 and a DL MD-88.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KJAX/KTYS
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KJAX/KTYS
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 am

TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
At least for parts of the 2019 holidays, Delta CHA-ATL is strictly CR2 :devil: territory! Kind of like what so many flights out of CHA and TYS were like ten to fifteen years ago :( . No DL mainline TYS-ATL as well. Additional two class regional jets and some mainline should return after the new year.

AA TYS-DFW and CHA-DFW flights have taken it on the chin. Three Eagle flights out of TYS have been cancelled the last two days, two of them Mesa CR9s....the same flight two days in a row (AA 5797). Ditto AA 5864 two days in a row CHA-DFW (also Mesa CR9s) :banghead:


Turns out DFW experienced heavy fog thus lots of flights were delayed/canceled. Not just Mesa and their CR9s (notorious for not-so-good reliability) but other AA affiliates such as Envoy.

Unfortunately it appears DFW-TYS is going all Mesa CR9s in April (all 5 flights). Not great from a reliability standpoint. However, still remains hard to believe how much that route has grown. Just 2-3 years ago it was 4 daily 50 seaters.

With any luck, hopefully those April dates are more like placeholders which could at least partially change to some Envoy E70s later on. Even some PSA/SkyWest CR7s/CR9s to DFW would be better than Mesa CR9s. With PSA having a base at TYS, hopefully that will enable them to have at least some DFW service. I've generally had good flights on PSA and SkyWest.

A few years ago, I used Mesa E70s/75s dba United Express for at least one round trip via IAH and that was routine. From what I have been able to gather, Mesa's UA operations for what ever reasons have a better reputation than Mesa's AA flights. If true, go figure :spin:

Actually, I had good trips on Mesa years and years ago when they were a US Airways Express affiliate. As good as flights on CR2s/E45s can be, anyway.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:45 pm

tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Looks like a DL 767-300 will be at TYS tomorrow afternoon I am assuming to fly UT down to JAX for the Gator Bowl. Oddly it is repositioning to TYS from BOS.

Both a 763 and a 717.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX

Kentucky (UK) took a 767-300 LEX-CLT for the Belk Bowl. That 763 ferried in from and later back to RDU which seems just as odd.

True, DL is growing their BOS operations (including across the pond). Maybe some DL European flights from BOS and RDU are no-op on a few days during this holiday period thus the extra planes. But it's still somewhat automatic to expect DL repositions from ATL, DTW, JFK.

Looks like the UT return trip will be via a DL A321 and a DL MD-88.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KJAX/KTYS
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KJAX/KTYS


In years past I have noticed that the UT basketball teams chartered Elite Airways CR7 for all of their travel. However, this year they have so far used DL MD88s. Talk about an upgrade for their travel!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8916
 
tys777
Moderator
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:05 am

TYSflyer wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
Both a 763 and a 717.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KTYS/KJAX

Kentucky (UK) took a 767-300 LEX-CLT for the Belk Bowl. That 763 ferried in from and later back to RDU which seems just as odd.

True, DL is growing their BOS operations (including across the pond). Maybe some DL European flights from BOS and RDU are no-op on a few days during this holiday period thus the extra planes. But it's still somewhat automatic to expect DL repositions from ATL, DTW, JFK.

Looks like the UT return trip will be via a DL A321 and a DL MD-88.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KJAX/KTYS
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KJAX/KTYS


In years past I have noticed that the UT basketball teams chartered Elite Airways CR7 for all of their travel. However, this year they have so far used DL MD88s. Talk about an upgrade for their travel!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8916


Even more suprising is that the women appear to be getting the same charter treatment.
 
dlflynhayn
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:18 am

My son went to College in Bristol Tennesse what a beautiful area sad and happy my son graduated but those were long trips LAX-ATL-TRI-ATL-LAX for four years i always tried to get on the MD-88 very nice ride into a small nice airport and always got lucky while connecting thru ATL.Ive made the drive from BNA to TRI what a scenic drive everybody has big lawns in the country hehe.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 am

G4 has announced multiple new destinations from TYS. All are seasonal.

TYS-BOS
TYS-HOU
TYS-MDW
TYS-AUS
TYS-MYR

BOS, HOU, and MDW will be more than just new Allegiant destinations from TYS. These three airports will be brand new G4 destinations period.
 
tnair1974
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 am

dlflynhayn wrote:
My son went to College in Bristol Tennesse what a beautiful area sad and happy my son graduated but those were long trips LAX-ATL-TRI-ATL-LAX for four years i always tried to get on the MD-88 very nice ride into a small nice airport and always got lucky while connecting thru ATL.Ive made the drive from BNA to TRI what a scenic drive everybody has big lawns in the country hehe.

Currently, DL has 717s and DL Connection flights flying ATL-TRI. It will be interesting to see if the MD-88 will make what would be its final appearance to TRI this coming summer.

At least for part of last year, DL had a 738 as the morning originator TRI-ATL. I saw at least once or twice that a 739 was used (unless it was a Flight Aware glitch). It may be debatable about 739 seats being less comfortable :crowded: than MD-88 seats. But from a spotters geek view, nice to see such a relatively large airliner like the 739 at TRI.
 
TYSflyer
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:52 am

tnair1974 wrote:
G4 has announced multiple new destinations from TYS. All are seasonal.

TYS-BOS
TYS-HOU
TYS-MDW
TYS-AUS
TYS-MYR

BOS, HOU, and MDW will be more than just new Allegiant destinations from TYS. These three airports will be brand new G4 destinations period.

Great news! There have been rumblings on here for a couple of years that they were interested in Midway. Austin always seemed like a good possibility. Boston seems to be off to a great start with the most interest from looking at some of the seating charts of the 5 new adds. MYR is resumption of service that G4 flew in 2009, 2010. I was definitely not thinking of HOB at all so nice addition. This is the biggest one time expansion at TYS in G4’s history here.
 
tys777
Moderator
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Re: The rest of Tennessee - TYS, CHA, TRI, ect.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Impressive year(s) of growth at CHA. This is 90% growth since 2010.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bus ... ly/513008/

"Last year, Chattanooga Airport posted its sixth consecutive year of record traffic, blowing past last year's mark by nearly 10%. The airport boarded 554,050 passengers in 2019, according to the latest figures."

* 2019 - 554,050
* 2018 - 504,298
* 2017 - 484,517
* 2016 - 419,059
* 2015 - 392,139
* 2014 - 352,459

Source: Chattanooga Airport

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos