Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VFRonTop

Re: Irish 12/19: Last of the teens!

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:43 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:
Thanks Alex, I'm well aware of how it works, I worked in this business for over 40 years. The Swiss website.ch showed EUR 1059 from DUB to PVG vv. but never mind, I have no intention of flying to PVG anyway. But it shows again, if you depend on feeding, you can fill the back of an aircraft as often as you like, there is no money to be made. You break those 537.63 down into DUB/ZRH and ZRH/PVG sectors, divide it by 2....you won't cover a lot of expenses incurred. Same for Juneayo, unless they have reasonable high yield traffic ( not discounted business class fares ), I can't see them lasting beyond subsidies, not even taking into account the intermediate stop, limited connections out of PVG and being a pretty unknown company in Europe, at least for the time being.

Hi SGR, welcome to the Irish board. You'll find some of the friendliest and knowledgeable members here. We all get the best from the forum if we assume people and posts are trying to be helpful and answer queries constructively. I hope you'll stick around and share some of your 40 years experience.

The fare breakdown for the Swiss light I linked to is:
Fare 1: Carrier LX KNNZCIE DUB to SHA , booking code K €40.00
Fare 2: Carrier LX KNNZCIE SHA to DUB, booking code K €40.00
Switzerland Airport Passenger Security And Noise Charge (CH) €29.20
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) €300.00
Ireland Passenger Charge (UP) €11.25
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YR) €16.00
China Airport Fee (CN) €11.52
Subtotal per passenger €447.97

And for Juneyao:
Fare 1: Carrier HO LL1MEU DUB to SHA, booking code L €65.00
Fare 2: Carrier HO LL1MEU SHA to DUB, booking code L €65.00
Ireland Passenger Charge (UP) €12.91
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) €250.00
Subtotal per passenger €404.43

The fare component is pretty low though this is made up for by the YQ charges on both carriers.

I expect you may be right about the short term viability of this route, there is nothing Juneyao is offering that is not already provided by established carriers with better brand recognition in DUB. Perhaps they are confident about China based sales? Though having seen Hainan try and fail I'm not sure that is enough.

As I previously mentioned this might be a 'route sitting' exercise to allow them to grow the demand enough to offer a direct flight from PVG to DUB without the worry of competition from other Chinese carriers.

VFRonTop

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:45 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:
Thanks Alex, I'm well aware of how it works, I worked in this business for over 40 years. The Swiss website.ch showed EUR 1059 from DUB to PVG vv. but never mind, I have no intention of flying to PVG anyway. But it shows again, if you depend on feeding, you can fill the back of an aircraft as often as you like, there is no money to be made. You break those 537.63 down into DUB/ZRH and ZRH/PVG sectors, divide it by 2....you won't cover a lot of expenses incurred. Same for Juneayo, unless they have reasonable high yield traffic ( not discounted business class fares ), I can't see them lasting beyond subsidies, not even taking into account the intermediate stop, limited connections out of PVG and being a pretty unknown company in Europe, at least for the time being.

SRGVA67 wrote:

Hi SGR, welcome to the Irish board. You'll find some of the friendliest and knowledgeable members here. We all get the best from the forum if we assume people and posts are trying to be helpful and answer queries constructively. I hope you'll stick around and share some of your 40 years experience.

And for Juneyao:

The fare component is pretty low though this is made up for by the YQ charges on both carriers.

I expect you may be right about the short term viability of this route, there is nothing Juneyao is offering that is not already provided by established carriers with better brand recognition in DUB. Perhaps they are confident about China based sales? Though having seen Hainan try and fail I'm not sure that is enough.

As I previously mentioned this might be a 'route sitting' exercise to allow them to grow the demand enough to offer a direct flight from PVG to DUB without the worry of competition from other Chinese carriers.

VFRonTop

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:46 pm

SRGVA67 wrote:

And for Juneyao:

EI121

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:49 pm

Not sure if this was reported in the past but...

Aer Lingus revealed as customer for two more A330s

"Aer Lingus has emerged as a customer for two more Airbus A330-300s, analysis of the airframer's latest backlog figures has revealed.

Two A330-300s were ordered in December last year but allocated to an undisclosed customer.

Aer Lingus's confirmed A330-300s orders totalled nine aircraft – all of which had been delivered – at the end of October this year.

But the IAG-owned Irish carrier's total A330-300 agreement has since risen to 11 of the type, according to Airbus's latest backlog figures.

Airbus no longer lists the two undisclosed A330-300s which had previously featured in its order totals.

Aer Lingus took delivery of another of the type on 29 November, bringing the number in its fleet to 10. Its A330s are fitted with General Electric CF6 powerplants.

Towards the end of last year the Irish airline had signalled that its long-haul fleet plan would focus on bringing in additional A330s, and particularly the -300 variant"

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... 0s-462759/

VFRonTop

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:58 pm

EI121 wrote:

Great news, they definitely need the extra capacity.

I've always wondered why EI/IAG didn't take on the ex-Jet Airways A330s. There are four of them, all less than 8 years old with the GE CF6-80E1A4 engines just parked up at LDE (Lourdes).

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:12 pm

Very interesting. I thought the two A330 for imminent delivery were going to be the last two. Just to confirm: these two are additional to those - presumably to dispose of the A332 fleet altogether?

Any idea when these last two will be delivered?

Aisak

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:58 pm

OA260 wrote:
Profit at Ryanair cabin crew agency Crewlink falls sharply
Pretax profit falls more than 80 per cent despite turnover nearing €100 million

Profits at Ryanair cabin crew agency Crewlink fell sharply last year despite turnover reaching almost €100 million, the latest figures show.

Crewlink is one of several agencies that provide Ryanair with cabin crew. It employed almost 4,100 people last year, topping the 3,338 permanent staff working at internet giant Google’s European headquarters in Dublin.

Pretax profit at Wicklow-based Crewlink Ireland fell more than 80 per cent in 2018 to €10,260 from €61,353 the previous year, according to accounts just filed with the Companies’ Registrar.

Wow, Ryanair practices never cease to amaze me. So you have an external “agency” to literally buy staff for your production unit. So the law dictates that you have to employ 4 cabin crew members and you buy more than 4000 people (that’s just one agency) to comply. So you have a company making €100m in PROFIT, for something that should be done within Ryanair itself in a department called HR.
These days where some companies sign a manifest against modern slavery, there is a company set up with just one purpose... sell people to Ryanair.
Not saying that it is law bordering (which in some territories it could be)... but WOW.

eidvm

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Are these two new ones on top of EI-EIM/EI-EIN or are those the aircraft it's referring to?

As far as I know the first one EIM was delivered last week and flown to Brussels to be fitted with business class seats with EIN to be delivered presently. I had thought EIM/EIN were supposed to be the final A330-300's off the production line, so it would make me think these are the aircraft the article is referring to and not 2 more totally new ones, 4 brand new 330's would be a lot to take delivery of in a year.

TUGMASTER

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 pm

A famous case of this type of fare pricing , was the AF Concorde...
Nearly always was cheaper to fly LHR-CDG-JFK on AF, rather than LHR-JFK on BA

VFRonTop

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:45 pm

eidvm wrote:
Are these two new ones on top of EI-EIM/EI-EIN or are those the aircraft it's referring to?

As far as I know the first one EIM was delivered last week and flown to Brussels to be fitted with business class seats with EIN to be delivered presently. I had thought EIM/EIN were supposed to be the final A330-300's off the production line, so it would make me think these are the aircraft the article is referring to and not 2 more totally new ones, 4 brand new 330's would be a lot to take delivery of in a year.

Comparing the Airbus O-D books for October and November:
October: A330-300
Ordered: 9
Delivered: 9
Operational: 8

November A330-300
Ordered: 11
Delivered: 10
Operational: 9

EI-EIM is MSN1950 is the 10th A330-300 to join EI (9 of which are still flying). Looking at the production list only EI-EIN (MSN1951) is left for EI and for -300 frames (excluding military aircraft) as you mentioned.

Aisak

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:54 pm

EI121 wrote:

"Aer Lingus has emerged as a customer for two more Airbus A330-300s, analysis of the airframer's latest backlog figures has revealed.

Two A330-300s were ordered in December last year but allocated to an undisclosed customer.

Aer Lingus's confirmed A330-300s orders totalled nine aircraft – all of which had been delivered – at the end of October this year.

But the IAG-owned Irish carrier's total A330-300 agreement has since risen to 11 of the type, according to Airbus's latest backlog figures.
It makes sense. Not that long ago, IAG took the 350s initially ordered for Aer Lingus and moved them onto Iberia.
The A350 might make more sense at Iberia given its route map and the capabilities of the aircraft, but if Aer Lingus can get away with just 330s... then 330s had to come in some time. 321LR comes in handy for thin routes to the US East coast but eventually they needed more widebodies.

shamrock350

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:07 pm

These don’t look like additional A330s to me, just a poorly written article confusing EI-EIM and EI-EIN with new frames.

The Airbus production list still suggests EI-EIN will be the last passenger A330ceo built.

ClassicLover

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:01 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
These don’t look like additional A330s to me, just a poorly written article confusing EI-EIM and EI-EIN with new frames.

The Airbus production list still suggests EI-EIN will be the last passenger A330ceo built.

Presumably that means we'll see the Airbus A330 in service with Aer Lingus for a looooong time yet!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

shamrock350

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:01 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

Presumably that means we'll see the Airbus A330 in service with Aer Lingus for a looooong time yet!

Without a doubt.

The oldest of the A333s (EI-DUZ) is just 12 years old, the youngest (EI-EIM) barely a few weeks. On average it’s a very young fleet.

The A332s are a different story, the oldest (EI-LAX) is fast approaching 21 years old with the youngest (EI-DUO) being 12 years.

How Aer Lingus begin to replace the A332s will be one to watch. The airline has previously stated it was in favour of doing this with more A333s and one of the recent deliveries may fill that role next year but going forward the option of new A333s becomes limited as Airbus will no doubt push the A330neo...

EI321

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Only a matter of time before EI order the A330neo but the apparent reliabilty issues with the RR engines (according to Emirates anyway) might be an issue, might be worth waiting until these are sorted.

Replacing the older A321s and A320s will need to be looked at in the coming years also. While the A321neoLRs on order can contribute towards some of this, a combination of A320neo and A220 for future routes would work very well.

In the short term there is a lot of used A330s coming onto the market in the next few years as carriers replace them with 787s and A350s. This is an option to finish off replacing the A332s and perhaps a few extra if demand warrants continued expansion. I think the outlook for new routes over the next few years may not be as strong as foreseen recently however.

eicvd

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 am

Anybody know the story with the 2 ET flights tonight? Saw both & upon checking noticed one departed to BRU (did BRU replace MAD?) & the other went to LOS
COYBIB

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:35 am

A friend of mine shared the following on FB and I thought it was really nicely worded and worth sharing with you all:

I like to embrace my inner kid when I am at the airport. I love the smell of the place. Each and every sound of it. The low and slow groan of an A330 engines spooling up to life. Quick and sharp whine of an A321 NEO. That behemoth of an engine on a 777, sucking every bit of fresh air around it...that stunning noise when they line up and throttle up. And the most deafening of them all - the rattle of an empty baggage cans being driven on the ramp at near warp speeds...

I like giving thumbs up and wave to crews before they push back. Moaning about the weather with the guys on the ramp. Every single bit of it. That feeling when I am walking on the ramp and I get that "ping" when I see DVM on the stand at 5am. I love going that "extra mile" to make someones day better at the gates.

Could I imagine myself working anywhere else? Hell no! Why would I!? :)

My beloved DVM at Pier B. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love new EI livery but there is something so special in the VM vintage colors."

I love the description of the engines starting up - and I can certainly vouch for the fact that a trailer of dollies being towed around the inner roads is as loud any engine you'll hear on the apron. Sometimes we get lost in the minutiae* and the details of this, that and the other, but that's not what makes our hearts beat faster as aircraft enthusiasts; it's really the sights and sounds - things we don't ever get to see outside the airport. I think these words speak for us all, whether we work at the airport or not.

And I agree with him about 'DVM.

* And minutiae or not, I still want to know if there's two more A330s coming to Aer Lingus!

BrianDromey

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:56 am

I agree it seems a poorly worded article. Unless EI has secured some aircraft not taken up by the original customer they can’t have anymore new-build A330s. It’s all NEOs now. I think they will take NEOs relatively soon partly because the number of late-build, GE engined A330s in good condition is limited. My guess is that the Jet Airways planes might not be in the best condition, need a significant amount of work to bring them up to scratch or, worse, have a lot of incomplete/missing paperwork. Jet2 took a Jet 737 and that spent months in the hangar, for example.

VFRonTop

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 am

BrianDromey wrote:
My guess is that the Jet Airways planes might not be in the best condition, need a significant amount of work to bring them up to scratch or, worse, have a lot of incomplete/missing paperwork. Jet2 took a Jet 737 and that spent months in the hangar, for example.

That's not good news, if the paperwork is wrong or missing an early D-check is probably the only solution, the cost of which answers why many of the aircraft are sitting in storage.

EI321

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:46 am

The usually reliable Jethros does indeed list two more A330-302s for delivery to EI in 2022 and has had for some time. I don't think this is new as several sources has listed EI as having 4x A330s on order or some time, with one now delivered.

I suppose Iberia is another possible source, 2022 seems very late to be receiving new build A330ceos even though the type will still be in production in the form of the A330 MRTT.

https://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet ... lingus.htm

OA260

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Great flight with Swiss ZRH-DUB on the A220. First time flying on the aircraft and it was a generally positive experience. Loved the large windows and mini overhead screens. Certainly a type Aer Lingus should be seriously looking at. Flight was full and mostly connections which is what I was also doing.

Its great to see Swiss doing so well in Dublin and also in Ireland. They really do have a top notch product.

VFRonTop

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:02 am

OA260 wrote:
Great flight with Swiss ZRH-DUB on the A220. First time flying on the aircraft and it was a generally positive experience. Loved the large windows and mini overhead screens. Certainly a type Aer Lingus should be seriously looking at. Flight was full and mostly connections which is what I was also doing. They really do have a top notch product.

The A220 are nifty machines and are really a step up in comfort from the a320 and 737. The Swiss product is also very good. Any airlines that offers free chocolates at the end of the flight will always curry favour ;)

SeanM1997

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:13 am

EasyJet to launch 2x weekly flights between Belfast International and Dalaman from 31 March 2020

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/12 ... 29505?s=19

Eagleboy

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:26 am

kaitak wrote:
Much of the doubt over what might happen next year has been dominated by fears of a no-deal Brexit, which seems to have receded pretty much completely, though what Boris might do next year will be interesting. .......

I wouldnt get too comfortable. WHile No Deal may no longer be the aim of the UK govt, any hurdles that they cannot navigate within the next 12 months will result in No Deal. And looking at the state of politics in the UK I hold no confidence in their ability to negotiate a deal.

kaitak wrote:
Very interesting. I thought the two A330 for imminent delivery were going to be the last two. Just to confirm: these two are additional to those - presumably to dispose of the A332 fleet altogether?

eidvm wrote:

shamrock350 wrote:

Definitely a case of badly written article.
Only 2 A333s on order. Airbus do show about 4-5 A330ceo orders that arent /fulfilled yet. But since Dec 2018 there have only been 11 ceo's built/delivered, 2 of these are EIM and EIM. There are however 2 outstanding orders for Hong Kong Airlines, MSN 1902 and 1907. (MSN 1917 was built but went straight to storage).
All other outstanding 'ceo' orders are for military tankers.
Page 28 and 29 of the list below will show that info;
https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... /A330?p=29

That doesnt mean that EI wont get an additional 2 airframes. But based on current published info any new aircraft will be 2nd had models.
Taking delivery of 2 A333 and the remaining 5 A321LR will be work enough for them in 2020.
The IAG presentation in November showed the requirements for a lot of aircraft across the group. Im very confident that we will see an A333neo in the EI fleet by 2025. The A350 has too much capability for the EI network, (sadly )but the A330neo seems tailor made for their needs. They want fuel efficiency and reliablity rather than range or hot&high performance.

VFRonTop wrote:
The A220 are nifty machines and are really a step up in comfort from the a320 and 737. The Swiss product is also very good. Any airlines that offers free chocolates at the end of the flight will always curry favour ;)
I would agree. About 6 years ago EI marketing came up with a very simple gimmick. Free chocolate to every passenger as they disembarked in Dublin/Shannon on St.Patricks. The chocolate was shamrock shaped. Very simple concept, load bags of chocs on each flight and the crew offer them as people leave. People were getting off with a smile on their face.

It was very nearly scuppered as someone brought up possible nut allergies. Queue 2 hours of discussion. Solution was for the crew to make an announcement before disembarkation explaining that they would offer chocolate.

OA260

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:51 am

VFRonTop wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Great flight with Swiss ZRH-DUB on the A220. First time flying on the aircraft and it was a generally positive experience. Loved the large windows and mini overhead screens. Certainly a type Aer Lingus should be seriously looking at. Flight was full and mostly connections which is what I was also doing. They really do have a top notch product.

Indeed I did take a “few” ;)

On my outbound flight the crew wrapped up a bunch and gave everyone in Biz this . It was a really nice thought.

Clydenairways

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:23 pm

OA260 wrote:
Great flight with Swiss ZRH-DUB on the A220. First time flying on the aircraft and it was a generally positive experience. Loved the large windows and mini overhead screens. Certainly a type Aer Lingus should be seriously looking at..

I think a future fleet might look something like this:

Mainline
20 A330-900
20 A321NEO, LR and XLR
35 A220-500 with maybe some -300's

Regional
ATR72
100 seat RJ (E190 or similar)

JAmie2k9

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Ryanair add twice weekly Cork-Zadar service next summer.

http://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/ ... rk-airport

EI321

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Clydenairways wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Great flight with Swiss ZRH-DUB on the A220. First time flying on the aircraft and it was a generally positive experience. Loved the large windows and mini overhead screens. Certainly a type Aer Lingus should be seriously looking at..

I think a future fleet might look something like this:

Mainline
20 A330-900
20 A321NEO, LR and XLR
35 A220-500 with maybe some -300's

Regional
ATR72
100 seat RJ (E190 or similar)

I think we are more likely to see EI with the A320neo before the A220-500 as airbus has said recently they have no current plans to launch it. The A220-300 would definetly fit the fleet well.

The couple of remaining cityjet ARJs only have a few years left in them so I can see cityjet maybe using the CRJ as a replacement rather than ordering an additional type. This assumes that the cityjet contract is not replaced by Stobart with the ERJ and that the Stobart regional contract is not replaced in 2022/2023 by the new Air Nostrum / Cityjet with ATRs, now that Cityjet and and Air Nostrum are a joint venture. I'm not sure how that affects Nostrums Hibernian Airways project.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... gional-ops

SQ22

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:34 pm

May I remind you that you are violating forum rules wehn you are just copy and pasting (full) articles without any own comments? These posts will be removed for violating forum rules. Thanks.

aerdingus

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:59 pm

kaitak wrote:
A friend of mine shared the following on FB and I thought it was really nicely worded and worth sharing with you all:

I like to embrace my inner kid when I am at the airport. I love the smell of the place. Each and every sound of it. The low and slow groan of an A330 engines spooling up to life. Quick and sharp whine of an A321 NEO. That behemoth of an engine on a 777, sucking every bit of fresh air around it...that stunning noise when they line up and throttle up. And the most deafening of them all - the rattle of an empty baggage cans being driven on the ramp at near warp speeds...

I like giving thumbs up and wave to crews before they push back. Moaning about the weather with the guys on the ramp. Every single bit of it. That feeling when I am walking on the ramp and I get that "ping" when I see DVM on the stand at 5am. I love going that "extra mile" to make someones day better at the gates.

Could I imagine myself working anywhere else? Hell no! Why would I!? :)

My beloved DVM at Pier B. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love new EI livery but there is something so special in the VM vintage colors."

I love the description of the engines starting up - and I can certainly vouch for the fact that a trailer of dollies being towed around the inner roads is as loud any engine you'll hear on the apron. Sometimes we get lost in the minutiae* and the details of this, that and the other, but that's not what makes our hearts beat faster as aircraft enthusiasts; it's really the sights and sounds - things we don't ever get to see outside the airport. I think these words speak for us all, whether we work at the airport or not.

And I agree with him about 'DVM.

* And minutiae or not, I still want to know if there's two more A330s coming to Aer Lingus!

I saw this on FB too, ansd thought he captured it all perfectly! Even sometimes as an avgeek, you can get fed up with travel, airports can be horrible, flights can be terrible...but his words brought me back to why we all love it.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

shamrock350

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Press release;

Aer Lingus completes Summer 2020 schedule

Dublin, 12 December 2019 – Ireland’s only four-star airline today announced its fifth new addition to the Summer 2020 schedule with news that it will commence flying direct from Dublin to the Greek Island, Rhodes next year.

The unveiling of the Rhodes route follows the announcement of two new Dublin routes to cities Brindisi, Puglia and Alghero, Sardinia, the addition of direct flights from Shannon to both Paris and Barcelona and the Cork-Dubrovnik service moving from two flights per week to three flights per week. In addition Aer Lingus is also set to open up even greater capacity on its transatlantic network from Summer 2020.

https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/news/ ... 0-schedule

OA260

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Vodafone’s 5G network now available as Dublin airport becomes Ireland’s first 5G connected airport

https://irishtechnews.ie/vodafones-5g-n ... rport/amp/

Dublin Airport launches its first digital shopping wall

The digital shopping wall will offer passengers the opportunity to purchase items while at their boarding gate.
Dublin Airport's digital shopping wall is located in the 100 gates boarding area and includes a range of products from The Loop.

https://lovindublin.com/amp/dublin/dubl ... pping-wall

EIEIDW

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:07 pm

easyJet launching BFS-DLM 2x Weekly
Starts 31 March

BrianDromey

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Are airline route announcements getting later over the past few years? Usually the announcements were 6-12 months in advance, but usually around the start of the schedule preceding the change. easyJet, Aer Lingus, Ryanair and BA have all made fairly significant announcements in the past 24 hours for services starting in the summer. Is this a real change, or am I imagining it?

Eitilt

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Seems like they are just stretching out the announcements to gain the maximum publicity.
eg Aer Lingus reminded everyone of their 6 other new routes while announcing Rhodes.
The public are easily distracted these days and need to be brought back to the shiniest ball.

OA260

Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:20 pm

DAA 'must challenge' Irish firms for more competitive tenders

THE DAA needs to have a "major focus" on challenging the local Irish market to deliver more competitive tenders for fit-out projects at Dublin Airport, according to a report.

The study, by London economic consultancy Steer for the Commission for Aviation Regulation (CAR), said Dublin Airport had pointed out that the local construction market was overheating.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/daa-m ... 79632.html

ClassicLover

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Icelandair are offering business class tickets from Dublin to Chicago, Denver, Seattle and Vancouver for €799 and €899. Book by 24 December and fly between March and September 2020. It's a pretty decent deal, I think!

https://www.icelandair.com/en-ie/flights/special-offer/

Considering it's four flights via Reykjavik, I'm pretty tempted!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Eagleboy

Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:27 pm

Eitilt wrote:
Seems like they are just stretching out the announcements to gain the maximum publicity.
eg Aer Lingus reminded everyone of their 6 other new routes while announcing Rhodes.
The public are easily distracted these days and need to be brought back to the shiniest ball.

Could be that EI were waiting to get confirmation on A321LR deliveries next year, thus freeing up an A320 to operate to Rhodes?

EI321

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:08 pm

CGI Image and some details of the forthcoming McEvaddy proposal for Terminal 3:

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 85549.html

Personally I think there are some serious logistical flaws with the plan, mainly around ownership of land. Much of the land shown in the proposal is in fact owned by the DAA, which makes me question the validity of a planning application which includes land that the applicant neither owns or has permission to develop. Also, the road infrastructure that would be needed to connect to the M2 is owned by other private land owners and surely the process of acquiring it would take years, since compulsory purchase agreements can't be enforced in a non-state owned project. Thirdly, there seems to be no connection to the other terminals or to the future metro station, presumably this would be done by bus.

OA260

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:55 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Icelandair are offering business class tickets from Dublin to Chicago, Denver, Seattle and Vancouver for €799 and €899. Book by 24 December and fly between March and September 2020. It's a pretty decent deal, I think!

https://www.icelandair.com/en-ie/flights/special-offer/

Considering it's four flights via Reykjavik, I'm pretty tempted!

Not bad at all and its not a bad product.

VFRonTop

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:20 am

EI321 wrote:
CGI Image and some details of the forthcoming McEvaddy proposal for Terminal 3:

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 85549.html

Personally I think there are some serious logistical flaws with the plan, mainly around ownership of land. Much of the land shown in the proposal is in fact owned by the DAA, which makes me question the validity of a planning application which includes land that the applicant neither owns or has permission to develop. Also, the road infrastructure that would be needed to connect to the M2 is owned by other private land owners and surely the process of acquiring it would take years, since compulsory purchase agreements can't be enforced in a non-state owned project. Thirdly, there seems to be no connection to the other terminals or to the future metro station, presumably this would be done by bus.

I'd also have issues with the design of the terminal, ramp and taxiways and apron. This rendering seems to create a lot of dead-ends/restricted alleyways to the terminal piers without the space for double taxiways. I would have thought a mid-field toaster rack would be the most logical choice.

EI321

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:40 pm

There also seems to be no sufficient area for bus or car setdowns, no multi story car parks and the area around the control tower looks like a taxiing bottle neck.

Makes one question the seriousness of this design, it looks like a shiney presentation rather than a complete proposal.

BrianDromey

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:49 pm

EI321 wrote:
There also seems to be no sufficient area for bus or car setdowns, no multi story car parks and the area around the control tower looks like a taxiing bottle neck.

Makes one question the seriousness of this design, it looks like a shiney presentation rather than a complete proposal.

There seems to be a lot of office/apartment accommodation between the runways on that CGI? This is utterly inappropriate, as one poster mentioned a "cost rack" design for accommodating aircraft seems far more sensible. This proposal seems to be mainly unlocking a significant parcel of land for office/resendential development. The Terminal seems like a vehicle to achieve this. This proposal takes the idea of "a shopping centre with gates attached" to a new extreme, from what I can see.

Has any other airport allowed commercial and residential development between two operational runways?

EI321

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm

I agree that a series of satellite piers like those at Heathrow T5 would be a better long term masterplan for the airport, with a new terminal behind them to the west.

The area where the Dublin aerospace hangars are would be a more practical area for a medium sized third terminal as it is beside the metro station and much of the required roads are already in place, even though the DAA seem to have no current plan for this. That area was one of the areas proposed for the T2 location before the current site was decided on. The cost of rebuilding the hangars would be low compared to the infrastructure required for the McEvaddy proposal which is simply not possible without the DAA coming on board as the DAA own much of the land that is intertwined with the McEvaddys land.

The DAA land bank is shown within the dotted line at this link: https://www.routesonline.com/airports/2 ... n-airport/

The idea of turning much of the area between the runways into an office park just does not fly and the govt / DAA / fingal council will see through it.

EI321

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:35 pm

To consider an alternative view, lets assume that behind the facades and bogus arguments (planning permission on land that they dont own / access to runways / independent operators / 'sure there's no need for a 3rd terminal' etc) that both sides are putting forward, both McEvaddy and the DAA know that the mid field terminal situation is unworkable when both parties own parcels land that is needed for it. The DAA's reluctance to press ahead with spending over a billion on expansion plans that will only facilitate 7m more passengers may not be entirely down to charges, perhaps they want to delay it in the hope that themselves and McEvaddys will eventually come to some form of agreement. This would presumably involve a very large cheque being written, which is the inevitable long term solution for the mid field land IMO. The DAA's recent attempt to buy the land for €20m may have been the first shot in that, if the DAA or the govt adds another zero to that figure I think the attitudes of both sides will suddenly change.

tonystan

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:14 pm

I wouldn’t pass too many remarks on the CGI images for T3 shown in the article. If it ever does get the go ahead I imagine it will be a much different beast to what is shown above.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

OA260

Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:42 am

Aer Lingus says reusable cups cannot be used during cabin service
Ryanair refuses to comment on policy as Irish Rail criticised for ban on reusables

Passengers travelling on Aer Lingus flights are unable to fill reusable cups during cabin service due to health and safety risks, the airline has confirmed.

www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/aer-li ... 2?mode=amp

—-

Dublin Airport preparing for busiest Christmas ever with 1.2 million passengers expected

Dublin Airport is preparing for what it says will be their busiest Christmas on record.

Almost 1.2 million people are expected to arrive and depart during the festive season.
From December 20 to January 3 an expected 1,171,000 people will travel through Dublin Airport.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 70722.html

DalRiada

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:14 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
EI321 wrote:

There seems to be a lot of office/apartment accommodation between the runways on that CGI? This is utterly inappropriate, as one poster mentioned a "cost rack" design for accommodating aircraft seems far more sensible. This proposal seems to be mainly unlocking a significant parcel of land for office/resendential development. The Terminal seems like a vehicle to achieve this. This proposal takes the idea of "a shopping centre with gates attached" to a new extreme, from what I can see.

Has any other airport allowed commercial and residential development between two operational runways?

DUB itself... www.dublinairportcentral.com

eka340

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi guys

Hopefully its ok to post this query here. I am flying DUB-LHR-HKG, starting on Aer Lingus then transferring to Cathay at Heathrow.

Looking at the EI website it won't seem to let me check in online for the Cathay flight.

Is my best option to check in at the airport in Dub , and will they give me my boarding card for the Cathay flight and check my bags right through to Hong Kong?

Thanks
EKA340

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Is it all booked on the one ticket? If so, they should check your bag through to HKG. I don't think it's something you can do online. Have you tried getting a BP through the Cathay website?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos