Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 12/19: Last of the teens!

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:58 am

IAA Aireon ALERT Wins Global Air Traffic Management Award

The Irish Aviation Authority has won the prestigious Global Air Traffic Management Award (ATM) for Service Provision 2019. The IAA facility in Ballygirreen, Co. Clare provides the Aireon ALERT service 24 hours a day, every day to airlines, air navigation service providers and search and rescue organisations from around the world, making the skies an ever-safer place.

www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/iaa-ai ... 75022.html

Jet diverts to Shannon with with third fuel leak in less than a month

A transatlantic jet has diverted to Shannon Airport after the crew declared an emergency over Co Donegal, reporting a fuel leak on board.

It is the third time in less than a month that the same United Airlines jet was forced to make an unscheduled landing as a result of a fuel leak. On November 18 the jet diverted to Shannon Airport with the same issue.

https://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/jet ... 70832.html

Ireland West Airport Knock gets grant of €1.7 million

Ireland West Airport Knock is to receive €1,736,515 in grant aid.

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Mr Shane Ross, T.D., today announced the payment of €3.7 million in grant aid towards the operating costs of the regional airports in Donegal, Ireland West Airport Knock (IWAK) and Kerry under the Government funded Regional Airports Programme.

www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/502470 ... llion.html

EK770

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:55 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-no ... om-sfo-dub

United starting DUB-SFO next June! Logical addition giving EI’s success on the route, however still a surprise in some ways. Not looking likely now that we’ll see additional frequencies with EI next year but the market should be able handle the two carriers.

EI121

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:20 pm

Dublin Airport Welcomes United Airlines’ New Year Round Dublin San Francisco Service:

SFO-DUB (15:55 Dep - 0945 Arr)
DUB-SFO (11:50 Dep - 1420 Arr)

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... co-service

----

I wonder if EI will go ahead with the rumoured 10 p/w plans now....

Very similar times to EI as well

Skyblue39

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:46 pm

Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement from United Airlines that it is to operate a new, year-round, daily nonstop service between Dublin and its hub at San Francisco from next summer.

The airline will operate its new route with a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner from June 6, 2020.
The new daily service will depart Dublin at 11.50 arriving in San Francisco at 14.20. The return flight will depart San Francisco at 15.55 and arrive in Dublin Airport at 9.45 the following day.

United Airlines also operates services to Chicago, Newark, and Washington D.C. from Dublin.

VFRonTop

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:13 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Dublin Airport welcomes today’s announcement from United Airlines that it is to operate a new, year-round, daily nonstop service between Dublin and its hub at San Francisco from next summer.

The airline will operate its new route with a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner from June 6, 2020.
The new daily service will depart Dublin at 11.50 arriving in San Francisco at 14.20. The return flight will depart San Francisco at 15.55 and arrive in Dublin Airport at 9.45 the following day.

United Airlines also operates services to Chicago, Newark, and Washington D.C. from Dublin.

Great news, the United press release seems to indicate that this is being driven by the tech industry so I'm sure Apple had a hand in making this happen. Best of luck to UA, great to see some competition on the route.

EIEIDW

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Fantastic News. Explains the 14 extra slot pairs for S20.

EI121

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I wonder will EI still go ahead with their rumoured SFO 10 weekly operation.

Interesting to note, the UA times are very similar to EI's

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:35 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Great news, the United press release seems to indicate that this is being driven by the tech industry so I'm sure Apple had a hand in making this happen. Best of luck to UA, great to see some competition on the route.

wow, nice announcement!
better pull up your socks Aer Lingus!

alancostello

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 pm

The new united flight is year-round, but it is not daily year-round. Daily for the summer and then ‘reduced frequencies’ during the winter season, currently not specified how reduced it’ll be, I assume it’ll depend on how ticket sales go.

Skyblue39

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:11 pm

That’s 4 routes each from both AA (ORD, PHL, CLT, DFW) and UA (EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO) into Dublin and 3 each from DL (BOS, ATL, JFK) and AC (YYZ, YUL, YVR).

Gate space in DUB going to be very tight in S20.

OA260

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:18 pm

As expected and rumoured even better to have some competition on the route especially a Star Alliance carrier.

shamrock604

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
That’s 4 routes each from both AA (ORD, PHL, CLT, DFW) and UA (EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO) into Dublin and 3 each from DL (BOS, ATL, JFK) and AC (YYZ, YUL, YVR).

Gate space in DUB going to be very tight in S20.

Indeed. Shovels need to be going into the ground urgently on new piers, but it ain’t happening so far!

babastud

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Wow what a surprise!! Even though this has been a heavily requested route for years from the business community, it still was surprising. SFO is going be super busy in International area this summer.

HTCone

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Was Westjet YYZ-DUB ever confirmed? They applied for slots for it. They’re already on YHZ and YYC, so that would give them 3 routes too.

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:20 pm

HTCone wrote:
Was Westjet YYZ-DUB ever confirmed? They applied for slots for it. They’re already on YHZ and YYC, so that would give them 3 routes too.

That would be my route home so would pay attention to that news, but have heard nothing yet, at least on the Canadian side of the pond.

HTCone

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:37 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
HTCone wrote:

That would be my route home so would pay attention to that news, but have heard nothing yet, at least on the Canadian side of the pond.

Thanks for the reply. I had thought it was too late in the year for S20 TATL route announcements, but UA just proved me wrong. They seem to be getting later and later each year. Worth keeping an eye on hopefully.

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:57 pm

HTCone wrote:
ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
HTCone wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I had thought it was too late in the year for S20 TATL route announcements, but UA just proved me wrong. They seem to be getting later and later each year. Worth keeping an eye on hopefully.

Definitely, and this route just got all the more interesting for Westjet, we'll have to wait and see what the effect of the Air Canada takeover does for Air Transat on the route.

OA260

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:16 am

Great flight back with EI this evening ACE-DUB. Flight was quite light with only 96 pax but most people are heading outbound for Christmas rather then inbound. Crew were great and good updates from the flight deck. Certainly some gusty winds on arrival into DUB and parked at South gates .

OA260

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 am

Man who claimed 42 acres of land near Dublin Airport 'sold too cheap' by father in 1992 loses appeal

A man who claimed 42 acres near Dublin Airport was "sold too cheap" by his father in 1992 has been prohibited from bringing any more legal cases over the property without the permission of the High Court.

The Court of Appeal ruling follows nearly 20 years of litigation over the sale by Mark Monks’ late father James and his mother Ella of the land at Huntstown House, Cloghran, to the Dublin Airport Authority’s (DAA) predecessor Aer Rianta for IR£340,000 (€431,000).

www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/ma ... 96919.html

planemanofnz

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:05 am

Excuse my ignorance, but why can EI not make Scandinavia, the Baltics or Poland work? That whole area seems like a big gap in their network. Could they not make cities in these areas work with their ever-increasing US routes for connections? What gives?

Cheers,

C.

planemanofnz

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:09 am

Skyblue39 wrote:

Wow. Can DUB - SFO sustain two carriers? Will EI be able to compete, and maintain the Silicon Valley contracts?

Also - a neat little alternative way to use a same-carrier offering between DUB and AKL, instead of going via Asia.

:D

Cheers,

C.

Skyblue39

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:15 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Skyblue39 wrote:

Wow. Can DUB - SFO sustain two carriers? Will EI be able to compete, and maintain the Silicon Valley contracts?

Also - a neat little alternative way to use a same-carrier offering between DUB and AKL, instead of going via Asia.

:D

Cheers,

C.

Looks like EI and UA will both code share on this route.
It's possible to book a return ticket flying on both carriers.

OA260

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:59 am

Ryanair again named worst short-haul airline in survey
Which? Travel rates Aer Lingus highly but marks Ryanair, BA down

Ryanair has achieved an unenviable four in a row after again being declared the worst short-haul airline in a survey carried out by one of the leading consumer watchdogs in Europe.

The news was almost as bad, if not worse, for British Airways which has been ranked among the worst airlines in Europe for both short-haul and long-haul passengers.

Just four years ago the airline topped the short-haul category in the Which? annual survey.

By contrast, BA’s sister airline Aer Lingus did well and was ranked the fourth best short-haul airline flying out of UK airports, according to the survey.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 9?mode=amp

downtown273

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Flew JFK-DUB earlier this week on EI. The crew were OK (the outbound crew were def more friendly). Flight was busy.

The dinner was great but I was surprised they didn't serve any coffee with breakfast (just a box with a muffin and orange juice - no coffee / tea).

p201055r

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:23 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why can EI not make Scandinavia, the Baltics or Poland work? That whole area seems like a big gap in their network. Could they not make cities in these areas work with their ever-increasing US routes for connections? What gives?

Cheers,

C.

As one who lives for much of the year in Stockholm and travels to Donegal 2-3 times a year, I’ve wondered too.
When they last experimented with the EIDW/ESSA route, the times I used it, the load factor was of the order of 90%+.
Good travel timings and reasonable fares were attractions.
FR briefly ran a Stockholm(Skavsta) - EIDW route but I think their spurious geography (Skavsta is a 90 min bus journey from Stockholm) was their undoing.
Now, the ESSA route is left to SAS and Norwegian. Have travelled with both over the last 3 months on the route and in the former there were 6 empty seats on a 320Neo, with 1 free on the latter (both directions).
I’m sure someone has analysed the economics, but......

tomgle

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:39 pm

planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

I also find it quite strange. I remember that at some point in the 2000’s WAW-DUB was served by Ryanair, EI, and Norwegian simultaneously. Now, only Ryanair serves Warsaw from Dublin, not even daily, and it’s the secondary airport. EI also used to fly to Krakow (admittedly this may have been before Ryanair stepped into the market).

KIRFlyer

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Guys, was an EI JFK-DUB flight cancelled recently? Either Tuesday or Wednesday evening departure. A friend of mine was on it, and she now can’t travel back to Ireland until Friday/Saturday departure from NYC with EI. The reason she was given for the cancellation was “the aircraft got diverted”.

OA260

Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:53 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
Guys, was an EI JFK-DUB flight cancelled recently? Either Tuesday or Wednesday evening departure. A friend of mine was on it, and she now can’t travel back to Ireland until Friday/Saturday departure from NYC with EI. The reason she was given for the cancellation was “the aircraft got diverted”.

There was one cancelled yesterday people were giving out online and some had to get alternatives back from BOS as JFK no seats due to Christmas.

KIRFlyer

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:10 pm

OA260 wrote:
KIRFlyer wrote:

There was one cancelled yesterday people were giving out online and some had to get alternatives back from BOS as JFK no seats due to Christmas.

Is that not pretty terrible service? I would regard JFK as EI premier gateway, and they let this happen. Does this fall into the category that EI do not allow any slack in their fleet, and when things go wrong, they go terribly wrong. I assume this is to do with the MCO diversion into FLL, and the crew timed out.

JAmie2k9

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:32 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
OA260 wrote:
KIRFlyer wrote:

Is that not pretty terrible service? I would regard JFK as EI premier gateway, and they let this happen. Does this fall into the category that EI do not allow any slack in their fleet, and when things go wrong, they go terribly wrong. I assume this is to do with the MCO diversion into FLL, and the crew timed out.

JAmie2k9

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:36 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:
OA260 wrote:
KIRFlyer wrote:

Fleet capacity not an issue this time of year.

eka340

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:29 am

kaitak wrote:
Is it all booked on the one ticket? If so, they should check your bag through to HKG. I don't think it's something you can do online. Have you tried getting a BP through the Cathay website?

I have a booking reference for EI and Cathay. When I log into EI's website, I can see the flight details for Cathay but it is greyed out and states that online check in is not available. I'm assuming because I can see the Cathay flight details, it means that it is booked on one ticket?

Thanks!

ClassicLover

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:44 am

eka340 wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Is it all booked on the one ticket? If so, they should check your bag through to HKG. I don't think it's something you can do online. Have you tried getting a BP through the Cathay website?

I have a booking reference for EI and Cathay. When I log into EI's website, I can see the flight details for Cathay but it is greyed out and states that online check in is not available. I'm assuming because I can see the Cathay flight details, it means that it is booked on one ticket?

Thanks!

If you have one booking reference and all the flights can be seen online under it, it is means they are all booked on one ticket.

When you check in at the desk, they usually will issue boarding passes for all the flights.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

EIBPI

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:13 pm

KIRFlyer wrote:

EI108/109 were cancelled on 18/12.

Eagleboy

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:39 pm

EI121 wrote:

I highly doubt we will see EI going 10 weekly. That plan was probably shelved when they got wind of the UA plan. Look back at the Rhodes announcement....."aer lingus completes its summer 2020 schedule" I take that as no more route news till next Sept/Oct.
Im going to state that there will be the two A333 deliveries this coming year. Runing through the current planned routes, those two allow an increase in MC/MIA/SEA over 2019. No capacity there for a new A330 route (apart from upguagin MSP) could be wrong but looking through the flights I see at most 2 days a week with a 'spare' A330.

OA260

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Loganair to launch flight from Dundee to Belfast City Airport in April 2020

A new travel destination has opened up for Scotland with a direct Dundee to Belfast flight to be introduced next spring.

The service from Loganair will operate up to six times a week during the summer season between Belfast City Airport and Dundee Airport.

The route to will launch on April 2 2020, with a lead-in fare of £44.99 one way.

It will operate three times each week during the winter season.

www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/loganair- ... pril-2020/

Phen

Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:56 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why can EI not make Scandinavia, the Baltics or Poland work?

I would say its not necessarily the case that they can't make it work, its just they likely reckon they can make more profitable use of the aircraft elsewhere. They probably could make a profit on ARN or CPH (as they did in the past) but if the accountants upstairs calculate that the aircraft will make more money doing another AGP/FAO/ALC ex DUB or DBV/NCE ex ORK etc. then they will pull the less profitable route and happily let another carrier operate it instead. The airline cares more about making a bigger profit on a small number of routes than serving a wide array of destinations with lower margins.

Granted they are expanding into 2 new summer destinations for 2020 namely Alghero and Brindisi, but I would argue that these are slightly more high-end destinations so they do not appear to be going after the low-cost inclined passenger with these routes.

I believe the Polish market was very price sensitive and for the same reasons as above, EI pulled out to focus on more profitable routes and let the ultra low-cost airlines fight it out over there.

HTCone

Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:35 am

Eagleboy wrote:
EI121 wrote:

I highly doubt we will see EI going 10 weekly. That plan was probably shelved when they got wind of the UA plan. Look back at the Rhodes announcement....."aer lingus completes its summer 2020 schedule" I take that as no more route news till next Sept/Oct.
Im going to state that there will be the two A333 deliveries this coming year. Runing through the current planned routes, those two allow an increase in MC/MIA/SEA over 2019. No capacity there for a new A330 route (apart from upguagin MSP) could be wrong but looking through the flights I see at most 2 days a week with a 'spare' A330.

2 x extra A330 = 14 weekly potential new rotations.

SEA going from 5 x weekly to daily = + 2, MSP going 5 x weekly A330 = + 5, so that's one new A330 fully occupied shall we say.

MCO goes from 4 to 6 weekly (+ 2), MIA goes from 2 to 3 weekly (+1), leaving 4 x weekly rotations on a new A330 unaccounted for. I believe Tuesdays and Thursdays there was already always an A330 scheduled to overnight in DUB for maintenance. Maybe they need the extra 4 x weekly "slots" for the same thing, or maybe they just want more slack in the schedule.

BDKLEZ

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:41 pm

Is EI-GEV the only AT46 that STK operate? It seems only to op the DUB-CFN sectors. Surely -GEV is not dedicated to that route only, do we see it elsewhere?
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

JAmie2k9

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:56 pm

BDKLEZ wrote:
Is EI-GEV the only AT46 that STK operate? It seems only to op the DUB-CFN sectors. Surely -GEV is not dedicated to that route only, do we see it elsewhere?

It was leased for this route only. It could appear in IOM but thats generally it. They had 2x42-300 before this replaced them.
Last edited by JAmie2k9 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrishLessor

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:57 pm

GEV does IOM too and an occasional GLA.

EI have been back to CPH multiple times.
It's been too hotly contested.
I reckon eastern Europe has been very price sensitive, lacking in any brand loyalty, all based on price ...

Galwayman

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 am

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair again named worst short-haul airline in survey
Which? Travel rates Aer Lingus highly but marks Ryanair, BA down

Ryanair has achieved an unenviable four in a row after again being declared the worst short-haul airline in a survey carried out by one of the leading consumer watchdogs in Europe.

The news was almost as bad, if not worse, for British Airways which has been ranked among the worst airlines in Europe for both short-haul and long-haul passengers.

Just four years ago the airline topped the short-haul category in the Which? annual survey.

By contrast, BA’s sister airline Aer Lingus did well and was ranked the fourth best short-haul airline flying out of UK airports, according to the survey.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... 9?mode=amp

The evidence that Which? readers are pretty stupid when it comes to aviation continues to grow

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 6.html?amp

Eagleboy

Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:49 pm

HTCone wrote:

2 x extra A330 = 14 weekly potential new rotations.

SEA going from 5 x weekly to daily = + 2, MSP going 5 x weekly A330 = + 5, so that's one new A330 fully occupied shall we say.

MCO goes from 4 to 6 weekly (+ 2), MIA goes from 2 to 3 weekly (+1), leaving 4 x weekly rotations on a new A330 unaccounted for. I believe Tuesdays and Thursdays there was already always an A330 scheduled to overnight in DUB for maintenance. Maybe they need the extra 4 x weekly "slots" for the same thing, or maybe they just want more slack in the schedule.

Same methodology as myself. With a larger fleet the 2 existing "gaps" in the schedule may not be enough.
In addition DUB-FAO is going daily next summer so that also reduces the A330 availability.

OA260

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Calls for airstrip to be maintained at former Galway Airport site

A county councillor has called for an airstrip to be maintained at the site of the former Galway Airport in Carnmore.

Cllr Jim Cuddy says an airstrip on a parcel of land at the site could be maintained for the Galway Flying Club – while also being available for use by the emergency services.

https://connachttribune.ie/calls-for-ai ... -site/amp/

OA260

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:47 am

DAA hunts for project manager for €2bn Dublin Airport plan

The DAA is to hire a firm to oversee project management and logistics of its €2bn capital investment programme (CIP) at Dublin Airport to ensure that the works cause minimal impact at the gateway.

The State-owned airport operator has notified the market of its intention to hire an integrated delivery partner for the works, which include a number of major projects.

They include a major rehabilitation of the aprons at the airport, upgrading airline lounges, extensions to multi- storey car parks, a new services vehicle tunnel, a custom border protection upgrade, and an upgrade of the terminal one baggage reclaim area.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/iri ... 10746.html

Seems a split level lounge is being considered.

shamrock604

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:59 am

OA260 wrote:

The DAA is to hire a firm to oversee project management and logistics of its €2bn capital investment programme (CIP) at Dublin Airport to ensure that the works cause minimal impact at the gateway.

The State-owned airport operator has notified the market of its intention to hire an integrated delivery partner for the works, which include a number of major projects.

They include a major rehabilitation of the aprons at the airport, upgrading airline lounges, extensions to multi- storey car parks, a new services vehicle tunnel, a custom border protection upgrade, and an upgrade of the terminal one baggage reclaim area.

I thought Dalton Phillips has said all projects were being parked now that the Regulator made its “flawed” determination on charges..... mustn’t have been that flawed after all!

planemanofnz

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:38 pm

IrishLessor wrote:
... eastern Europe has been very price sensitive ... all based on price ...

Isn't that the majority of the Southern European routes (AGP, FAO, LIS, NCE, NAP, etc)?

Besides, isn't EI a "value carrier" now, and competing on price with US-EU connections?

Cheers,

C.

EI321

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:52 pm

shamrock604 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I thought Dalton Phillips has said all projects were being parked now that the Regulator made its “flawed” determination on charges..... mustn’t have been that flawed after all!

Dalton Phillips seems to be a spoof merchant unfortunately.

JAmie2k9

Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 pm

EI321 wrote:
shamrock604 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Dalton Phillips seems to be a spoof merchant unfortunately.

Appeal of CAR ruling lodged a few days ago. Worth nothing while its “on hold” it doesn’t mean no spending on projects will take place just the scale planned probably wont materialise. Some is needed and even required legally. Having someone ready to go is also a good move because airlines will have to cough up the cash at some stage.

You will unlikely see pier 5 progressed or pier 1 expanded which make up most of the spend.

EIBusiness

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Happy Christmas to all on the forum - especially the Irish members on this thread - at home or abroad. Based in the Intermountain West - I typically fly via ORD or SFO back to DUB however I flew from SEA last week and I would note that the onboard service was absolutely phenomenal (10/10 - possibly the best flight I have taken with EI in several years) and whilst aged - EI-DAA was in generally good condition. However - the ground service in general and especially for a Business ticket left a lot to be desired. Most of the agents are clueless regarding the lounge which itself is nothing short of a holding pen under construction - really poor pre-flight product on the ground for what is a reasonably expensive return ticket in J Class. It will be interesting to see how the route performs next summer - would be great to see one of the newer A330s on there however I imagine they will be dedicated to SFO and LAX.

Happy Christmas and Best Wishes for a New Decade!
EI Business
Vivo Per Lei...