x1234
Topic Author

Can QF haul any CARGO on their LAX-SYD/BNE/MEL & SFO-SYD flights?

Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:12 pm

I was wondering if QF can haul any CARGO on their LAX-SYD/BNE/MEL & SFO-SYD flights? I've been told the B77W is a CARGO MONSTER and the majority of the cargo is flown on B789 & B77W/B77L (Delta/Virgin Australia does a lot). Not on the A380 out of SYD & MEL to LAX because it has limited cargo capacity. I've heard the reason EK still has a B77W on their DXB-SYD & DXB-JNB route is because of CARGO as the A380 is payload limited.

qf002

Re: Can QF haul any CARGO on their LAX-SYD/BNE/MEL & SFO-SYD flights?

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Short answer, yes. They have some A380 flights but the majority of their services are now operated by 789/744s which don’t have the same space limitations as the A380.

QF also runs dedicated cargo flights to/from the US alongside their passenger services so is less reliant on belly space compared with DL/VA and UA.

Motorhussy

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:06 pm

A380 is cargo restricted by space but not weight.
come visit the south pacific

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 pm

qf002 wrote:
QF also runs dedicated cargo flights to/from the US alongside their passenger services so is less reliant on belly space compared with DL/VA and UA.

Yes. Atlas have a daily out of LAX dba QF freight.

Motorhussy wrote:
A380 is cargo restricted by space but not weight.

Yes. But still restricted. It is actually mainly a function of the baggage requirements of having a VLA upstairs and the same space -roughly- as an A359 downstairs.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

royroy

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:19 pm

The 787s will be able to take 6 PMCs on the flight. 77W will be 10-12. A380s can take max 4 PMC but usually weight restricted.

DylanHarvey

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:36 pm

x1234 wrote:
I was wondering if QF can haul any CARGO on their LAX-SYD/BNE/MEL & SFO-SYD flights? I've been told the B77W is a CARGO MONSTER and the majority of the cargo is flown on B789 & B77W/B77L (Delta/Virgin Australia does a lot). Not on the A380 out of SYD & MEL to LAX because it has limited cargo capacity. I've heard the reason EK still has a B77W on their DXB-SYD & DXB-JNB route is because of CARGO as the A380 is payload limited.

A380 is just volume limited. The 77W has 44LD3 spots, the 380 is in the 30’s.

zeke

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:50 pm

royroy wrote:
The 787s will be able to take 6 PMCs on the flight. 77W will be 10-12. A380s can take max 4 PMC but usually weight restricted.

A380s wouldn’t be weight restricted over such short flights out of LAX or SFO. Out of DFW with string headwinds yes.

EK can carry full pax and some cargo DXB-LAX vv where the 77W cannot carry full pax no cargo.

VA from time to time needs to tech stop on the 77W.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

jupiter2

Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:57 pm

zeke wrote:
royroy wrote:

A380s wouldn’t be weight restricted over such short flights out of LAX or SFO. Out of DFW with string headwinds yes.

EK can carry full pax and some cargo DXB-LAX vv where the 77W cannot carry full pax no cargo.

When has VA tech stopped ? I can't remember the last time one did and it would more likely have been a weather diversion than requiring a tech stop because of the load it was carrying.

DylanHarvey

Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:12 pm

zeke wrote:
royroy wrote:

When have VA tech stopped on the 77W, can you point out specific instances

smi0006

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:22 pm

I wonder how much cargo gets lifted over NZ also? With a 77W daily from MEL/SYD/BNE to AKL connecting to 772/77W/789 to the US closer distance of AKL must help. I’d say they’d carry more than VA/DL.

Confess this is a rumour - but can anyone confirm VA also is one of the few (if only one) operation of the 77W that has a smaller cargo door that can’t handle all cargo- no idea why they ordered this, I’d imagine it would also impact their resale value.

Be interesting see following PS - if the 77X or 350 replaces the 380s, if QF makes more inroads with cargo due to more capacity.

DDR

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:28 pm

zeke wrote:
royroy wrote:

What? I don't understand this post.

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 pm

smi0006 wrote:

Confess this is a rumour - but can anyone confirm VA also is one of the few (if only one) operation of the 77W that has a smaller cargo door that can’t handle all cargo- no idea why they ordered this, I’d imagine it would also impact their resale value.

It is true. I am literally looking at one right now here at LAX.

I am honestly not sure how common that is -likely on par with A330's having a full sized Class A #3 door set- but VA do indeed have theirs that way. As well there are some SU & SV machines similarly equipped.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

UA735WL

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:27 am

zeke wrote:

I don't understand what this has to do with LAX-SYD cargo loads, especially since it's nearly 1000 nm longer. I suspect it has something to do with it being one of the rare instances when the A380 can take more cargo than a 77W (if this is actually true) , therefore "proving" the inferiority of the 77W.

We get it, the 77W is *actually* really awful and a true dog. Better tell VA that they should be running 388s on LAX-SYD, I'm sure they'd LOVE to hear it :roll:
"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Tex Johnston

jupiter2

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 am

The cargo doors only limit the size of the cargo taken on board, not the weight.

Still waiting to hear about these fictitious tech stops that VA are making with their 77W's ?

AirbusA322

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:14 am

VA has never made a tech stop. Only medical stops en route which in all these years I couldn’t even count on one hand.

The only issue Virgin face is high temps and Melbourne. Quite often will offload in Summer when temps are high 30s and low 40s. But this is usually not the case, as they send it via Sydney instead.

They can’t load pallets on half the fleet but this is still overcome via increased loading times, in which they have at both ends (LA on ground for 18hours) and Oz (5 hour turns).

VA did carry the largest volume across the pacific. This might havechanged now, in that United are double the freight potential capacity compared to 5 years ago.

qf789

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 am

Just a reminder to keep your posts on topic and keep the flamebait out of the discussion, this includes trying to turn the discussion into an Airbus vs Boeing flamewar
Forum Moderator

77H

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 am

Cargo demand between the US and Australia is considerable. QF, NZ, DL, UA and VA take as much as their respective aircraft can lift. Even airlines like HA and FJ get in on the action. DHL, FX and 5X also serve the market.

77H

eta unknown

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:18 am

Out of VA's 77W fleet, 3 or 4 (can't remember) have the small cargo door which affects pallets. At one point many years ago VA tried to sell the 77W fleet, but there were no takers due to the cargo door (basically a big time order screw up) and the aircraft being over spec'd. There was an old thread about the VA 77W issues on here at one time...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos