Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a350lover
Topic Author

Vueling drops MUC, VIE, PRG, SCQ, LPA, TLV, NTE, LYS, CTA & PMO from FCO

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Vueling drops several routes from its base at Rome Fiumicino Airport, effective from Jan20.

MUC, VIE, PRG, SCQ, LPA TLV, NTE, LYS, CTA and PMO.
MRS becomes seasonal summer only.

Vueling bases 8 A320s in Fiumicino. 3 of them will be dropped from there.

https://www.ttgitalia.com/stories/trasp ... fiumicino/

It's probably Easyjet and Ryanair the main reasons for Vueling to drop services from one of their largest international bases after Paris.

I don't see LEVEL taking over in FCO (actually nowhere in Europe successfully in my opinion), but you never know.

It'll be interesting to see how IAG is gonna fight for the Italian market.

Ishrion

Re: Vueling drops MUC, VIE, PRG, SCQ, LPA, TLV, NTE, LYS, CTA & PMO from FCO

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Just have IAG buy Air Italy, lol. Though QR has a stake in both companies anyway.

But seriously, interesting to see with AA going 2x daily on DFW-FCO and applying for codeshare with Vueling.

crownvic

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:56 pm

Horrible airline .. I would say stay away.. they cancelled a flight I was scheduled on...booked it 6 months earlier.. lots of emails from them trying to sell me other trips prior to my trip.. my only source of cancel was an email sent to me a few days earlier which went into my spam file and I never saw it...it cost me nearly $1,000.00 to rebook on another carrier day of departure..my original ticket was $225...other then that one email no further communication was attempted..

airtrantpa

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:20 pm

crownvic wrote:
Horrible airline .. I would say stay away.. they cancelled a flight I was scheduled on...booked it 6 months earlier.. lots of emails from them trying to sell me other trips prior to my trip.. my only source of cancel was an email sent to me a few days earlier which went into my spam file and I never saw it...it cost me nearly $1,000.00 to rebook on another carrier day of departure..my original ticket was $225...other then that one email no further communication was attempted..

Cant really blame the airline for not notifying you, since they did send you an email, went to your spam folder, just how exactly is the airlines fault? Ive never flown Vueling, nor do I plan on it. I stick to EI or BA for intra Europe as most of mu euro dealings are in Scotland and Ireland.
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

P1aneMad

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Any clue where those three aircraft will be re-positioned/re-based?

crownvic

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Cant really blame the airline for not notifying you, since they did send you an email, went to your spam folder, just how exactly is the airlines fault? Ive never flown Vueling, nor do I plan on it. I stick to EI or BA for intra Europe as most of mu euro dealings are in Scotland and Ireland.

My point was that for 6 months they were big on sending solicitation and marketing emails for additional business, but for a cancelled flight only one sent a few days prior with zero concern to make sure it was answered or followed up..

Aisak

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:37 pm

a350lover wrote:
Vueling drops several routes from its base at Rome Fiumicino Airport, effective from Jan20.

Vueling bases 8 A320s in Fiumicino. 3 of them will be dropped from there.

https://www.ttgitalia.com/stories/trasp ... fiumicino/

I think FCO was/is (until January) the biggest EU base for Vueling. Tomorrow CDG only has 2 early departures (presumably from based aircraft) and ORY just 4.

a350lover wrote:
It's probably Easyjet and Ryanair the main reasons for Vueling to drop services from one of their largest international bases after Paris.

The real problem Vueling has on its european bases is the pilots contracts. All Vueling flights operated by Vueling aircraft must be flown by pilots contracted by Vueling SA. So these pilots under Spanish contracts based in Spain are “challenging” for the day to day operation of the EU bases.
That’s why Anisec (VK) adopted the LEVEL brand instead of the Vueling one, and will slowly take over these European bases (as seen in AMS)

a350lover wrote:
I don't see LEVEL taking over in FCO (actually nowhere in Europe successfully in my opinion), but you never know.

It'll be interesting to see how IAG is gonna fight for the Italian market.

I would say the Italian market is quite important for Vueling. They even launched their own branded Credit Card in Italy...
But only time will tell... if LEVEL has way lower operating costs (and procedures), maybe FCO will be the last to switch, but it will switch.

SkyVoice

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:19 am

crownvic wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:
crownvic wrote:

My point was that for 6 months they were big on sending solicitation and marketing emails for additional business, but for a cancelled flight only one sent a few days prior with zero concern to make sure it was answered or followed up..

Sir or Madam, those solicitation and marketing e-mails were likely computer-generated, sent from an e-mail address to which you can't reply. It's not as though someone is sitting in a room at IAG hand-typing all of Vueling's e-mails. And, the fact that your cancellation e-mail went to your spam folder is the fault of your ISP, not the sender. Full disclosure, I am a former airline CSA, so I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I don't think you're being fair to all of the people at Vueling when you label the entire operation as "horrible" because you overlooked one e-mail.

Now, let's get back to discussing these soon-to-be-dropped routes out of FCO . . .
"Facing a crisis does not not build one's character, it reveals it."

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

- Robert H. Schuller

Waterbomber2

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 am

Vueling's problem is that they're not aggressive enough on fares, schedules are not bad but they are not monetising that because they are often much more expensive than LCC's and often even legacy carriers.

Vueling no longer fits in the low fares category, and as long as they can't compete on fares, they have little chance of surviving in a market like FCO.
I don't know if Level can do better, we'll see, for the moment it's more long haul than short haul.

max999

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 am

crownvic wrote:

Vueling has always had a bad reputation.

Alex Cruz was the CEO of Vueling and now he's the head of BA. And now BA has a bad reputation but they're still keeping their high legacy prices.

See a pattern here?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

a350lover
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:55 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
Vueling's problem is that they're not aggressive enough on fares, schedules are not bad but they are not monetising that because they are often much more expensive than LCC's and often even legacy carriers.

Vueling no longer fits in the low fares category, and as long as they can't compete on fares, they have little chance of surviving in a market like FCO.
I don't know if Level can do better, we'll see, for the moment it's more long haul than short haul.

I agree on this. They came in the market with a different proposal. They call themselves "the next generation airline", a hybrid between the no frills model and the legacy carriers. They have done lots of changes and most of the bad reputation towards Vueling comes from the time when Alex Cruz was there and followed somewhat of an uncontrolled growth strategy. Today, Vueling is a different airline, the schedule more stable and the on-time performance really good.

a350lover
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 am

Aisak wrote:
But only time will tell... if LEVEL has way lower operating costs (and procedures), maybe FCO will be the last to switch, but it will switch.

You may be right, but we have seen how successful this no-brand airline is doing in VIE and AMS. At the end of the day, whatever you paint in your plane has nothing to do with the name of the enterprise underneath which is the employer for the crews and pilots. If that is called Anisec, fine, but I would never repaint the Vueling frames deployed in Paris and Rome LEVEL. For sure no in Spain. You'd be destroying a well-known airline around the Mediterranean.

That's exactly the same Ryanair is doing. The branding is the group name; just RYANAIR. Then you have Ryanair Malta, Ryanair Sun, etc.... but the customer still feels just nothing different. I guess commercialization is different too. Vueling flights are not easy reachable through LEVEL site. Same the other way around.

IAG needs to really think about this to figure out a unique and well-defined strategy for its pan European low cost competitor.

VanBosch

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:08 am

If you read the transcript from the capital markets day, WW admits they have too many brands in Spain and rationalisation will come in time. Perhaps the Vueling brand is not going to survive at all, not just at non Spanish bases.

OGLOBAL

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 am

who knows maybe vueling will become " air europa " if the merge gets approved ...

airtrantpa

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 am

SkyVoice wrote:
crownvic wrote:
airtrantpa wrote:

Sir or Madam, those solicitation and marketing e-mails were likely computer-generated, sent from an e-mail address to which you can't reply. It's not as though someone is sitting in a room at IAG hand-typing all of Vueling's e-mails. And, the fact that your cancellation e-mail went to your spam folder is the fault of your ISP, not the sender. Full disclosure, I am a former airline CSA, so I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I don't think you're being fair to all of the people at Vueling when you label the entire operation as "horrible" because you overlooked one e-mail.

Now, let's get back to discussing these soon-to-be-dropped routes out of FCO . . .

Well said mate. I to am a CSA and I hate when people bash an airline over Something that isn’t an airlines fault, like a customer didn’t get this or his/her way so the whole airline is crap, or poor me because the airline followed the contract of carriage but I was to stupid to do my part, mentality.

Now back to the dropped routes out of Rome.
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

caaardiff

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Is it known yet where the 3 aircraft will go to?

Cointrin330

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:58 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Just have IAG buy Air Italy, lol. Though QR has a stake in both companies anyway.

But seriously, interesting to see with AA going 2x daily on DFW-FCO and applying for codeshare with Vueling.

AA is going 2 x daily on DFW-FCO for just a few weeks at the height of the season. The second daily flight is being added because demand is strong from the US to Italy. The Vueling code share likely wasn't a major factor here. AA has a pretty strong operation at FCO already in peak summer with JFK, ORD, DFW, PHL, and CLT.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos