jumbojet
Topic Author

Bumping Pax July and August;; AA the worst and DL the best (Video)

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm

AA bumped more pax than all other airlines combined.

I don't want to hear the excuse that AA had to deal with MAX cancellations etc. So did SW, AS and UA.

American Airlines bumped more passengers in 2019 than all other U.S. airlines combined, according to data from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The carrier bumped more than 3,400 passengers this year in the travel period from July through August. During that same time, Southwest bump 314 passengers, United bumped 15 and Delta did not bump any (the airline has only denied boarding to six passengers this entire year).

AA thinks however that changes to its APP will reduce further bumps

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlin ... passengers

jayunited

Re: Bumping Pax July and August;; AA the worst and DL the best (Video)

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm

This article and your comments do not paint a true and complete picture of what is actually taking place. Airlines like DL and UA are bumping passengers but they are doing it voluntarily instead of involuntarily. Voluntary and involuntary denied boarding are recorded differently by the DOT and for the sake of good press airlines like DL and UA have found a legal loophole. Their programs which solicit passengers on oversold flights to voluntarily place a bid to give up their seat was put into place simply to avoid bad press.

What I would love to see is how many VDB's DL, and UA had because I can promise you that number is much higher than what they would have the public believe. Your statement that DL has only denied boarding to 6 passengers for the entire year and UA 15 passengers for the months given is completely false. When a passengers buys a ticket for a specific flight and they are not accommodated on that specific flight because its oversold that airline has denied boarding to that customer. VDB or IVDB it doesn't matter because the end result is the customer has still been denied boarding.

LHUSA

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Something must be off regarding the way DL reports their involuntary DBs. My sister was automatically re-accommodated on a flight DL flight over July 4th weekend without her consent. As she arrived at LGA, she received a notification on her phone that her departure time and flight # had changed to 4 hours later. She assumed the flight had canceled but she checked the monitors and her original flight was scheduled as normal. She went to the gate and was told there was an aircraft down-gauge and ~7 passengers were moved to later flights. She never agreed to a compensation amount and was also told no passengers were willing to give up their seats due to the holiday weekend. Her de-boarding was involuntary so I'm not sure how she and the other passengers would not show up in this report. There was never a conversation of "if you accept this amount, we will move you to a later flight".

OB1504

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:38 pm

jayunited wrote:
This article and your comments do not paint a true and complete picture of what is actually taking place. Airlines like DL and UA are bumping passengers but they are doing it voluntarily instead of involuntarily. Voluntary and involuntary denied boarding are recorded differently by the DOT and for the sake of good press airlines like DL and UA have found a legal loophole. Their programs which solicit passengers on oversold flights to voluntarily place a bid to give up their seat was put into place simply to avoid bad press.

What I would love to see is how many VDB's DL, and UA had because I can promise you that number is much higher than what they would have the public believe. Your statement that DL has only denied boarding to 6 passengers for the entire year and UA 15 passengers for the months given is completely false. When a passengers buys a ticket for a specific flight and they are not accommodated on that specific flight because its oversold that airline has denied boarding to that customer. VDB or IVDB it doesn't matter because the end result is the customer has still been denied boarding.

The difference is that with a VDB, no one is being denied against their will. Those passengers who accepted VDB found the compensation offered to be worth the delay.

Now why can’t AA get people to bite before bumping them involuntarily?

LHUSA wrote:
Something must be off regarding the way DL reports their involuntary DBs. My sister was automatically re-accommodated on a flight DL flight over July 4th weekend without her consent. As she arrived at LGA, she received a notification on her phone that her departure time and flight # had changed to 4 hours later. She assumed the flight had canceled but she checked the monitors and her original flight was scheduled as normal. She went to the gate and was told there was an aircraft down-gauge and ~7 passengers were moved to later flights. She never agreed to a compensation amount and was also told no passengers were willing to give up their seats due to the holiday weekend. Her de-boarding was involuntary so I'm not sure how she and the other passengers would not show up in this report. There was never a conversation of "if you accept this amount, we will move you to a later flight".

14 CFR §250.6(b) says that if there was an equipment substitution to an aircraft with fewer seats, the passengers bumped aren’t entitled to compensation. The airline didn’t intentionally oversell the flight; there was an operational reason.

LHUSA

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:48 pm

OB1504 wrote:

14 CFR §250.6(b) says that if there was an equipment substitution to an aircraft with fewer seats, the passengers bumped aren’t entitled to compensation. The airline didn’t intentionally oversell the flight; there was an operational reason.

Interesting - so there are DL (and other airline passengers) that are denied boarding their original flight, to no fault of their own. It's entirely possible that the down-gauge was DL's fault/responsibility (i.e. the original aircraft went tech) and the passenger can be left without compensations. I know at UA, passengers that are denied boarding due to down-gauge are offered full DB compensation if no volunteers materialize.

usflyer msp

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:00 pm

In my experience, AA is far more reluctant to bump up the VDB money than UA or DL. I took an AA VDB in July and it seemed the agent had to make 50 calls before he could raise the amount. He started at $300 and I eventually took it at $850. Not bad for a 2 hour delay but it took forever to get up to $850.

klkla

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 am

I had a connecting flight on AA from PHX-PVR and they were overbooked by one passenger. They offered a $360 voucher to fly the next day and there were a lot of laughs from the crowd in the gate area. By the time I boarded they had upped to $400. I have no idea how it eventually ended but that amount seemed ridiculously small.

77H

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:24 am

“Thinking out loud here”. Could a possible solution to overselling flights be for airlines to add in a clause to their CoC making it compulsory to contact the airline if a reservation will not be used ? Failure to do so would result in some monetary penalty being assessed. A few other industries assess no-show fees.

I bring this up as many airlines use historical data to predict the number of no-shows on a flight. They then sell additional seats above capacity expecting some of those seats to go unused. If airlines made it a contractual obligation to contact the airline if a reservation goes unused there would be no need to predict no shows and sell above capacity.
As they would be able to collect a fee for a no-show, they would no longer be able to oversell as a trade off and the seat would simply go empty or to a non rev.

77H

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos