sonicruiser
Topic Author

Nigerian court orders seizure of Emirates 777

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:33 am

Interesting but possibly effective way to resolve a court case that has run for over a decade. It may work since EK would much rather pay up 30K to avoid having a 777 impounded and have to cancel flights.

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-777 ... e-nigeria/

kiowa

Re: Nigerian court orders seizure of Emirates 777

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:24 am

ballsy move. why does the country go so far for a single citizen? that is not my impression of nigeria.

VSMUT

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 am

kiowa wrote:
ballsy move. why does the country go so far for a single citizen? that is not my impression of nigeria.

What do you think is so ballsy about this? Courts can and will seize aircraft all over the world, Europe and North America included. If you don't pay up after losing in court, this is what happens.

SimProgrammer

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:58 am

EK lease some of their 777s.

If a leased T7 is impounded, EK can injunct because as they are only bailee of the equipment, not owner.
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!

tommy1808

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 am

VSMUT wrote:
kiowa wrote:

What do you think is so ballsy about this? Courts can and will seize aircraft all over the world, Europe and North America included. If you don't pay up after losing in court, this is what happens.

:checkmark:
If the Aircraft is the only asset they can seize, they do. Ask Ryanair, that had the bailiff show up to seize a 737 over not reimbursing taxes to a no-show passenger..... doesn´t even need a court order, just a ruling saying "pay".

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

VSMUT

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:54 am

SimProgrammer wrote:

If a leased T7 is impounded, EK can injunct because as they are only bailee of the equipment, not owner.

There is plenty of Emirates owned equipment onboard a leased 777. Ipads/EFBs, galley equipment, Jeppesen manuals and so on. Enough to ground the airplane at least.

casinterest

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm

You would have to imagine Emirates will pay up rather quickly. The sum that they owe is nothing compared to one revenue trip.
Where ever you go, there you are.

dtw2hyd

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:04 pm

They should have settled this long back by giving away leftover DP, Hennessy, and Cavier.

PW100

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 pm

SimProgrammer wrote:

EK would still be down some equipment capacity. If they have to lease a replacement frame, that will cost them.

Further, wouldn't the owner go after EK then, as EK would be responsible for the owner's asset not making money (not accumulating flight hours)?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

Polot

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 pm

PW100 wrote:
SimProgrammer wrote:

EK would still be down some equipment capacity. If they have to lease a replacement frame, that will cost them.

Further, wouldn't the owner go after EK then, as EK would be responsible for the owner's asset not making money (not accumulating flight hours)?

Whether it’s owned or not is all trivial. Collectors do this to force the airline’s hand and make them pay up. They know an airline is not going to let go of an airplane, whether it is actually legally theirs or a leased jet. The collector usually doesn’t actually expect to obtain full legal rights over the jet.

cedarjet

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
They should have settled this long back by giving away leftover DP, Hennessy, and Cavier.

You’ve got to laugh. I asked a shop clerk in the duty free at Heathrow if people ever pay cash and she looked at me wide eyed and said NIGERIANS.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

prebennorholm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:52 pm

Assuming info here is accurate, then this is a carbon copy of an incident involving Vueling in Copenhagen last year. Vueling, the master of overbooking, but they sink into a black hole when it comes to refunding alternative bookings of denied boardings.

Only difference is that the Vueling case was a collection of dozens of incidents, and the amount was well into the six digit dollars.

Vueling paid up in last minute.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Bhoy

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 am

PW100 wrote:

Why would they need a replacement frame when they’ve got half a dozen 380s and ten 77Ws parked up at DWC?

Surely it would be faster to reactivate one of those frames than complete lease paperwork and have one flown in from a lessor?

WayexTDI

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:54 am

Bhoy wrote:
PW100 wrote:

Why would they need a replacement frame when they’ve got half a dozen 380s and ten 77Ws parked up at DWC?

Surely it would be faster to reactivate one of those frames than complete lease paperwork and have one flown in from a lessor?

And paying less than 30KUSD is still going to be much quicker and much cheaper than reactivating a parked frame.

mapletux

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 am

The bad publicity and damage to their brand in Nigeria is probably worth a lot more than the amount owed.

EK7777

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:46 am

Bhoy wrote:
PW100 wrote:

There are no 77Ws parked at DWC and 2 A380s parked at DWC.

That's hardly 'half a dozen'.

ltbewr

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 am

I am quite sure the right amount of a 'campaign' or 'charitable' donation connected to the appropiate politician or judge can make things right.

ChrisEtihad272

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:50 am

All smells a little fishy to me. as for one who has had money taken from my bank accounts from Nigeria nothing surprises me in that country

reltney

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Delta had an aircraft seized in Houston I believe by a pilot in the early 80s. There was a clerical error and for some reason he did not get paid for 2 months and delta was being slow on correcting the issue. He took delta to small claims court in Houston and Delta did not show but a court order was issued. This is all from memory but the pilot was allowed to seize Delta property until he was paid. He went to the airport and Boarded a DC-8 and sat in the plane with the court order until he was paid. It worked..

Easier to find was Israel seized a Delta 1011. After Delta bought what was left of Pan ams Europe operations, they found lots of corrruption and issmanagement of funds. Pan ams old ways of business. Hidden stuff like unpaid fuel bills were a big part. While Delta was sifting thru the old Pan Am books, many countries took,advantage to get old Pan Am bills paid by seizing Delta aircraft until things like fuel bills were paid. The Israel seizure was the only one I remember but I heard of many more..

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

PW100

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm

Bhoy wrote:
PW100 wrote:

*If* parked, where would you rather park, in the safety of dry desert of UAE, or the humidity of Nigeria with "somewhat" less control over the security of a multi-million dollar asset (not to mention the lack of ground maintenance - you know, even parked, aircraft do need quite some TLC)?
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

mapletux

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:09 am

Please see Emirates response to an enquiry by simpleflying.com about the matter

https://simpleflying.com/emirates-boein ... e-nigeria/

‘Emirates respects the judgement of the Supreme Court and will follow all legal procedures related to the specific case. In the meantime, Emirates will take every measure to safeguard its operations in Nigeria to avoid any disruption to our customers’.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos