8herveg
Topic Author

London Southend Airport wants to increase capacity to 20 million pax and build 2nd terminal - but where?!

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:34 am

A couple of weeks ago there was an article in the Echo stating that SEN wants to increase capacity to 20 million passengers and build a 2nd terminal. But where would they build it?! They could extend the current one north a little bit, but not enough to build a 2nd one there. The only other option is if they were to knock down where the old terminal is (which has now been transformed into a VIP terminal) or if they knocked down the hangar.

Also, they say that the current terminal is at 90% capacity. But they only extended the original terminal about 5 years ago. Why design/build something which is at 90% capacity after 5 years of it opening? Seems a bit short sighted?

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/180412 ... -ambition/

OlafW

Re: London Southend Airport wants to increase capacity to 20 million pax and build 2nd terminal - but where?!

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am

just looking at it from above, with no knowledge of the real situation there, maybe put the new terminal where Car Park 3 is now, and move the car park to the field between train tracks and Southend Road. As they are speaking of a multi-storey car park, this could also go south of the VIP terminal, right next to the roundabout.
What I can't really imagine is having 20m passengers with only a single runway which doesn't have direct access to both ends. Would that work? Would it be possible to have planes taxi to the runway going past the hangar? (Not sure it is a good idea having private planes left and right, but it's anyway just a thought)

davidjohnson6

Re: London Southend Airport wants to increase capacity to 20 million pax and build 2nd terminal - but where?!

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:44 am

Last year Southend saw 1.5m pax
Luton this year will see 18m pax - it has taken them a LONG time to reach that number
I think 20m for Southend is maybe a bit of a dream right now. I think Southend should be planning for 7m capacity first
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdp

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:45 am

OlafW wrote:
just looking at it from above, with no knowledge of the real situation there, maybe put the new terminal where Car Park 3 is now, and move the car park to the field between train tracks and Southend Road. As they are speaking of a multi-storey car park, this could also go south of the VIP terminal, right next to the roundabout.
What I can't really imagine is having 20m passengers with only a single runway which doesn't have direct access to both ends. Would that work? Would it be possible to have planes taxi to the runway going past the hangar? (Not sure it is a good idea having private planes left and right, but it's anyway just a thought)

Luton manages 15m with a heavily compromised layout and runway setup, so 20 million with a decent layout is feasible.

seansasLCY

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am

8herveg wrote:
Also, they say that the current terminal is at 90% capacity. But they only extended the original terminal about 5 years ago. Why design/build something which is at 90% capacity after 5 years of it opening? Seems a bit short sighted?

I imagine it wasn't short sighted because they didn't expect it to do quite so well. Look at how many people were saying nobody would use it. If they had built a terminal for 10mppa then everyone would have criticised an empty airport. The terminal has a modular design so it can be steadily expanded.

As for the "new terminal", I believe it would be an arrivals terminal building so fairly basic set up required of some immigration desks and baggage belts. Passengers walk/bused to and from the terminal.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am

seansasLCY wrote:
8herveg wrote:

I imagine it wasn't short sighted because they didn't expect it to do quite so well. Look at how many people were saying nobody would use it. If they had built a terminal for 10mppa then everyone would have criticised an empty airport. The terminal has a modular design so it can be steadily expanded.

As for the "new terminal", I believe it would be an arrivals terminal building so fairly basic set up required of some immigration desks and baggage belts. Passengers walk/bused to and from the terminal.

Ah ok, makes sense. Thanks. Also, if it's just an Arrivals building, then I'd imagine they'd just extend the current terminal north - looks like enough space for a new Arrivals section - perhaps even using some of the current terminal.

albertocsc

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:09 pm

According to the plan, a new arrivals terminal would be built, where now are the Old Terminal and Ryanair buildings. In my opinion, this would affect one of the main selling points of the airport: plane to train in 100 steps.
Current terminal would be departures only.
Also in the plans there is a new hotel, more parking space, including a multidecked park, new train services, and a upgraded runway, able to handle a B738 (currently Ryanair operations are with B738-SFP) or an A321.

This year, the airport saw the arrival of Ryanair, flyOne, Wizz Air and Loganair, and next year also of "real" Flybe/Virgin Connect (currently operated by Stobart Air and Blue Islands), and there are rumours of even more routes opening next year, so the airport is in real need of an expansion.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:31 pm

albertocsc wrote:
According to the plan, a new arrivals terminal would be built, where now are the Old Terminal and Ryanair buildings. In my opinion, this would affect one of the main selling points of the airport: plane to train in 100 steps.
Also in the plans there is a new hotel, more parking space, including a multidecked park, new train services, and a upgraded runway, able to handle a B738 (currently Ryanair operations are with B738-SFP) or an A321.

This year, the airport saw the arrival of Ryanair, flyOne, Wizz Air and Loganair, and next year also of "real" Flybe/Virgin Connect (currently operated by Stobart Air and Blue Islands), and there are rumours of even more routes opening next year, so the airport is in real need of an expansion.

Thanks. Where can one see these plans? I agree, the selling point of SEN is the fact that the train station is opposite the terminal. Also, the old terminal is now the Stobart Jet Centre - so where would that go?

albertocsc

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm

8herveg wrote:
albertocsc wrote:

Thanks. Where can one see these plans? I agree, the selling point of SEN is the fact that the train station is opposite the terminal. Also, the old terminal is now the Stobart Jet Centre - so where would that go?

You can find all the information here:
https://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/wp-conte ... INAL-3.pdf

For the terminal, I don't really know how they will do it, as now there are besides the Jet Center, the VP and the Ryanair offices.

skipness1E

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:51 pm

I think we're fast reaching the point where the market will plateau. 20M out of SEN is nonsense. The only way to get to that, and it might happen, is for the population of the South East to keep growing at unsustainable rates. There's just not that many people even in London who will fly often enough to justify some of these crazy numbers.
Remember any third runway at LHR is going to soak up growth that would have otherwise used LGW or STN, so these airports will remain a better option over SEN for increased capacity into the SE.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:15 pm

albertocsc wrote:
8herveg wrote:
albertocsc wrote:

For the terminal, I don't really know how they will do it, as now there are besides the Jet Center, the VP and the Ryanair offices.

Thank you! Interesting. But hate the idea of the new Arrivals building going there. How will passengers get to the station? It's almost too long to walk, but too short for a bus shuttle!

seansasLCY

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:26 pm

8herveg wrote:
albertocsc wrote:
8herveg wrote:

Thank you! Interesting. But hate the idea of the new Arrivals building going there. How will passengers get to the station? It's almost too long to walk, but too short for a bus shuttle!

It's not far. The walk from the Heathrow Express to T2 is longer.

8herveg
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:57 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
8herveg wrote:
albertocsc wrote:

It's not far. The walk from the Heathrow Express to T2 is longer.

True, but that’s all inside isn’t it? I’m guessing this would be outside along the entrance road which isn’t exactly great - especially if it’s raining!

GalebG4

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Southend will have 20 mil. passengers but in 2040.
Last edited by GalebG4 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stylo777

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:38 pm

albertocsc wrote:

Didn't know FR ordered the SFP variants. How many do they have and how to recognize those? Are they based in SEN?

drdisque

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:51 pm

I don't see what the space constraint is. There's plenty of space on the north side of the field and plenty of stuff on the south side that looks like it can be relocated. I'm no expert in the area, but would something like this work?

albertocsc

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 pm

stylo777 wrote:
albertocsc wrote:

Didn't know FR ordered the SFP variants. How many do they have and how to recognize those? Are they based in SEN?

All Ryanair planes from EI-FZX onwards are SFP. Some of them have been reregistered to Malta and Poland, so might be difficult to track them. The only one reregistered to UK so far is not from this variant.

Southend has three based Ryanair planes for summer season, and two for winter. All flights are operated from the base, to avoid situations where there wouldn't be SFP planes availlable at the other end. The rest of planes from this variant are all around the Ryanair (including Buzz and Malta Air) network.

OzarkD9S

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 pm

A certain poster on here is probably photoshopping a new 4 runway, 6 satellite mega-hub on this site as we speak. Kind of hoping to see the nonsensical plan! :silly:
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos