psa1011
Topic Author

WN SJC-RDU

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:25 pm

I see this was Saturday only flight was scheduled sometime in the last 12 months - does anyone know if it happened, and where it went?

wnflyguy

Re: WN SJC-RDU

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:23 pm

MAX8 Grounding forced WN to temporarily eliminate a lot of long haul flying to free up aircraft time to cover the network.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Murdoughnut

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Seems like a route DL should jump on.

tphuang

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm

I assume this is because SFO-RDU takes all of the demand and this type of sat only flights can't cover the cost of fuel/crew.

FSDan

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 am

Murdoughnut wrote:

Depending on what they plan for their SJC "focus city", I could see DL starting this in the next few years. Seems like a route that would be better suited to a daily A319 with a premium cabin than a weekend only WN 737. Then again, DL might be perfectly happy to optimize connections via ATL.

Either way, I'm a little surprised this route isn't flown more frequently. There are plenty of tech giants in the South Bay that I'm sure have connections to the Research Triangle (Cisco certainly jumps to mind). With the proper advertising, I'm sure a chunk of South Bay traffic that currently flies from SFO due to the presence of nonstops would flip to SJC for sheer convenience.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:50 am

FSDan wrote:
Murdoughnut wrote:

Depending on what they plan for their SJC "focus city", I could see DL starting this in the next few years. Seems like a route that would be better suited to a daily A319 with a premium cabin than a weekend only WN 737. Then again, DL might be perfectly happy to optimize connections via ATL.

Yeh, I don't get a Sat only for this airport pair. DL 5x weekly A220 - but they've got the numbers.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 am

tphuang wrote:
I assume this is because SFO-RDU takes all of the demand and this type of sat only flights can't cover the cost of fuel/crew.

It’s more a function of the route only adding marginally to the network given the plethora of one-stop and connecting options. WN cut a lot of this low-frequency California stuff as a MAX coping strategy.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

KLMatSJC

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 am

Ya it ended up operating for around a month or something. So just 5 flights or so. MAX cuts, as many above have said.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

AirFiero

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 am

FSDan wrote:
Murdoughnut wrote:

Either way, I'm a little surprised this route isn't flown more frequently. There are plenty of tech giants in the South Bay that I'm sure have connections to the Research Triangle (Cisco certainly jumps to mind). With the proper advertising, I'm sure a chunk of South Bay traffic that currently flies from SFO due to the presence of nonstops would flip to SJC for sheer convenience.

The curious thing is that since DL announced SJC as a focus city, I don’t think they’ve added anything.

SurfandSnow

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 am

I suspect AS adding SFO-RDU service - and, IIRC, UA retaliating by increasing frequency on that route - did not bode well for this service. Now that AS has dropped all nonstop SFO-RDU flying, it may make sense to give it another try. Then again, it's quite easy for pax to stop or connect in places like BNA, DEN, LAS and STL. I have to think many savvy coast-to-coast travelers look for one-stop routings through places like those rather than megahubs like ATL and ORD where things are far more likely to go wrong. I know I do!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos