Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pu752
Topic Author

AA Cancels MIA-COR

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Effective May 2020 AA will cancel it’s MIA-COR currently operated 4x with B763.

codc10

Re: AA Cancels MIA-COR

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Argentina’s economy is a mess and it makes sense to see marginal routes cut back.

Ishrion

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:35 pm

Here's a source: https://www.lanacion.com.ar/economia/am ... nid2312975

Honestly unsurprising to me. Business Class seemed to be rather open on most flights.

OB1504

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:50 pm

That didn’t last very long.

ScottB

Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:57 pm

codc10 wrote:
Argentina’s economy is a mess and it makes sense to see marginal routes cut back.

You have to wonder if the end of the partnership with LATAM also has an impact; it's probably difficult to woo business travelers if you can't offer a connecting option on the days the route doesn't operate.

dcajet

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Argentina's cycles of boom or bust, once again wreaking havoc on the country. And the "best" is yet to come...
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Ishrion

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Makes me wonder, political/economic-wise aside, could ending the LATAM partnership have affected this cut as well?

sagechan

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Makes me wonder, political/economic-wise aside, could ending the LATAM partnership have affected this cut as well?

It's ending well before LATAM pulls out of OW, so I'd guess more to do with changes to economic conditions in Argentina
717, 733, 734, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA, AS

PRGEC

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:58 pm

I'm honestly not surprised at all. AA must regret having pulled out CNF in order to open COR...
Libertas quæ sera tamen

dcajet

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Ishrion wrote:

No. Yields are the problem out of Argentina right now, and outside of the Buenos Aires market, it gets worse. And cargo (plentiful from COR) is not offsetting the drop in yields.

dcajet

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:37 am

LF on the route, between June and October was 80.6%.

kondoo

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:13 am

AA does not know how to execute well on these type of routes. COR, ASU, Bolivia are a proof. Maybe MVD is next. They were the only non-stop carrier on these routes but don't know how to compete against LCCs and extract a premium.

They have new RM analyst managing these routes every 2-3 months. It is a MESS.

dfw88

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:29 am

kondoo wrote:
AA does not know how to execute well on these type of routes. COR, ASU, Bolivia are a proof. Maybe MVD is next. They were the only non-stop carrier on these routes but don't know how to compete against LCCs and extract a premium.

This comment makes no sense. There are no LCCs selling tickets between the US and these cities in Latin America. While it's sad to see these routes go, it's no secret that the Latin American economies (in general) are not doing well right now. When no one has the money to fly on a route then there is no revenue premium to be had. That's why these routes are going away. (also, there was a funds repatriation or taxes or some other governmental issue with ASU, but that's another story that I don't fully remember).

chepos

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:47 am

kondoo wrote:

What LCC’s fly between the US and any of the destinations you mention?

Just because they are the only airline on a route does not guarantee success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

DCA350

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:05 am

Is Argentina that Buenos Aires centric? It's amazing how Colombia is able to sustain flights from so many different cities yet everything seems to fail outside of BA. I made the comparison because they have similar sized populations and even though Argentina is struggling economically, it is still a wealthier country.

solracfunk14

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:13 am

DCA350 wrote:
Is Argentina that Buenos Aires centric? It's amazing how Colombia is able to sustain flights from so many different cities yet everything seems to fail outside of BA. I made the comparison because they have similar sized populations and even though Argentina is struggling economically, it is still a wealthier country.

Colombia have been growing over the years, slowly but steady. Also Colombia it's more "packed", more dense country, with make easy to travel to some airport nearby. For last and not least, Colombia have been for years a great partner of US in many areas, and also it's more close geographically speaking, so it's cheaper to operate and flying to one destination can reach a great area.

usflyer msp

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:21 am

DCA350 wrote:

Colombia is a much shorter distance so secondary cities can be flown by short/medium haul narrowbodies and LCCs.

Also, thanks to Colombia's proximity and past instability, it has a much larger expat population in the US to drive a large volume of VFR traffic.

Argentina does not really have either of those.

LipeGIG

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:22 am

DCA350 wrote:

Big difference, you can use an A319 to Colombia but you need much heavier equipment for Argentina
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

AntonioMartin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:31 am

sagechan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

It's ending well before LATAM pulls out of OW, so I'd guess more to do with changes to economic conditions in Argentina

Where is LATAM going alliance-wise??

chepos

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:32 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
sagechan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

They have mentioned numerous times they will not be joining an alliance after exiting OW.

Fly the Flag!!!!

AntonioMartin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:35 am

And here I was hoping Delta would land there soon... :crazy:

AntonioMartin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:45 am

chepos wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
sagechan wrote:

They have mentioned numerous times they will not be joining an alliance after exiting OW.

Gracias, fellow Boricua!

FSDan

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:13 am

Another factor that hasn't been discussed yet is that AA is really starting to draw down the 763 fleet now. For routes currently operated by 767s, AA needs to decide over the next few years whether it's worth keeping them around longer term and upgauging to 788 or 332 equipment, whether it's feasible to downgauge to a 752 or eventually a 321XLR (probably not doable range-wise for MIA-COR?), or whether to cut them. With Argentina's economy struggling, I'm guessing that pushed MIA-COR into the "cut" category.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

usflyer msp

Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 am

FSDan wrote:
Another factor that hasn't been discussed yet is that AA is really starting to draw down the 763 fleet now. For routes currently operated by 767s, AA needs to decide over the next few years whether it's worth keeping them around longer term and upgauging to 788 or 332 equipment, whether it's feasible to downgauge to a 752 or eventually a 321XLR (probably not doable range-wise for MIA-COR?), or whether to cut them. With Argentina's economy struggling, I'm guessing that pushed MIA-COR into the "cut" category.

I doubt that. If the 767 fleet was an issue, MIA-COR never would have been launched. This cancellation basically boils down to politics. Argentina's economy sucks. The resurgence of Kirchnerism in this year's Presidential election probably means the economy is going to suck for the foreseeable future. AA's financial performance on MIA-COR was already substandard and had a low potential for improvement due to the political situation so AA decided to cut it's losses.

LAX772LR

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:05 am

kondoo wrote:

...orrrrrr we could just apply Occam's Razor, and conclude that if indeed such a premium were to be consistently made on these such routes using available equipment, then SOMEONE would've succeeded in doing it.

Yet for decades, few have attempted and all have failed. :scratchchin:

Gonna say AA's not really the consistent denominator with these sorta routes.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

tphuang

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:41 am

Maybe there is just no demand here to justify non-stop service. Seems like a route where AA just tried and it doesn't work and they are moving on. That's pretty reasonable.

avi8

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:57 am

dfw88 wrote:
kondoo wrote:

This comment makes no sense. There are no LCCs selling tickets between the US and these cities in Latin America. While it's sad to see these routes go, it's no secret that the Latin American economies (in general) are not doing well right now. When no one has the money to fly on a route then there is no revenue premium to be had. That's why these routes are going away. (also, there was a funds repatriation or taxes or some other governmental issue with ASU, but that's another story that I don't fully remember).

I think the only places in Latin America that are making the most money right now are Central America, Colombia, and Peru.
avi8

F27500

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:00 pm

. .. All I can hear is Ricardo Montalban in that Chrysler commercial.

2travel2know2

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 pm

avi8 wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
kondoo wrote:

I think the only places in Latin America that are making the most money right now are Central America, Colombia, and Peru.

As for LCC selling tickets between US and Argentina/Bolivia/Paraguay you mean CM and to some extend AV? Because they are flying narrow-bodies from hubs closer to the destinations..
And when it comes to COR, CM does fly twice daily between its hub and COR, if the Panama-Argentina frequencies weren’t all used, PTY-COR could surely support a 3rd flight, perhaps even a day-time rotation, at least a couple of days per week, year-around.

AA might be making the most money in Central America (PTY may be not as expected), Colombia and Perú, but AA only flies to LIM and even if it has the equipment to venture to other Peruvian cities from MIA, it hasn’t tried recently.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

jfk777

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:35 pm

This sounds like a perfect A321XLR route, the problem with secondary cities this far south is they need the range of a widebody jet. Secondary cities in Brazil can be flown by a 737 MAX( when they return) from MIA. Too bad it didn't work out.

dfw88

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 pm

There's another potential aspect to this that some other posters have hinted at but not stated. While they had a strong partnership with LA it was easy to cut marginal routes to South America during the recent economic downturn, such as the secondary Brazilian cities that were cut. Then, with a JV on the horizon it may have made sense to not return to those cities when (if) conditions improved and instead focus on new opportunities, much as they've done with the TATL JV and their new routes to Eastern Europe.

However, with the LA partnership ending, AA is now facing a pseudo-shortage of planes to South America because they're missing their partner lift. With that seismic shift in Latin American strategy the allocation of resources becomes a whole new game. I wonder if they simply see better opportunities elsewhere, potentially in returning to secondary Brazilian markets. If that's the case then exiting COR may actually be telling us more about, say REC than about COR itself.

This is pure speculation as I claim no insider knowledge, but it could be an aspect to consider.

Brickell305

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Is this really due to the drop in the Argentinian economy? I always thought that EZE-MIA was the route dominated by Argentina point of sale while COR was more US point of sale.

DL747400

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:17 pm

jfk777 wrote:
This sounds like a perfect A321XLR route.

I was just thinking the same thing. Who knows, perhaps someone will try USA-COR again in a few years once the XLR enters service?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

VS11

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm

AA can serve the US-Córdoba market by having one of their multiple planes sitting all day long in EZE make a trip to Córdoba and back to EZE before heading back to the US.

DCA350

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:41 pm

VS11 wrote:
AA can serve the US-Córdoba market by having one of their multiple planes sitting all day long in EZE make a trip to Córdoba and back to EZE before heading back to the US.

I've never understood why AA hasn't done that in Brazil and Argentina. Would seem an easy way to kill two birds with one stone.. I know Tags are at a disadvantage vs NS but when it's the only option it would seem worth a try.

Aeroflot001

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:42 pm

Disappointing to see it go but not surprised, given that the route will be around until May I will make an effort to take it to visit my family in COR before it is cancelled.

Miamiairport

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:47 pm

DCA350 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

I've never understood why AA hasn't done that in Brazil and Argentina. Would seem an easy way to kill two birds with one stone.. I know Tags are at a disadvantage vs NS but when it's the only option it would seem worth a try.

AA did that years back between GRU and GIG. However, since a tag can only take connecting flights from the airline what is the cost of operating a widebody a/c between those 2 cities with maybe 30-40 paxs (or at least that was my experience in the many tags I flew on between GRU and GIG) versus parking it all day.

Polot

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:50 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
DCA350 wrote:
VS11 wrote:

AA did that years back between GRU and GIG. However, since a tag can only take connecting flights from the airline what is the cost of operating a widebody a/c between those 2 cities with maybe 30-40 paxs (or at least that was my experience in the many tags I flew on between GRU and GIG) versus parking it all day.

The planes are also often getting maintenance done when parked (at least in Brazil, don’t know about EZE).

chepos

AA Cancels MIA-COR

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Polot wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
DCA350 wrote:

The planes are also often getting maintenance done when parked (at least in Brazil, don’t know about EZE).

Yes for EZE and you can add SCL to that list (MTC done during the sit).

Back in the day AA operated GRU-ASU and EZE-MVD (along with UA) as tag ons. Tag ons are expensive and usually an easy way to loose money.

Fly the Flag!!!!

Rafabozzolla

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:02 pm

PRGEC wrote:
I'm honestly not surprised at all. AA must regret having pulled out CNF in order to open COR...

I wonder if AA will actually resume MIA-CNF, I miss the route.

VS11

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:09 pm

AA currently has the following 5 arrivals at EZE:

7:08am - from MIA
8:32am - from LAX
8:58am - from DFW
10:01am - from MIA
10:43am - from JFK

They can conceivably send one plane to Cordoba with connecting pax from all 5 arrivals. For cargo this could work even better - if cargo is big as someone mentioned. I doubt all 5 planes will need maintenance done.

MIflyer12

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:11 pm

jfk777 wrote:
Secondary cities in Brazil can be flown by a 737 MAX( when they return) from MIA. Too bad it didn't work out.

A MAX8 might reliably make it to BSB and FOR -- not much, in other words.

marcoantona

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 pm

IMO COR does have the market to support a MIA flight... just not done by a Legacy Carrier like American. There is a good amount of demand to sustain a 4w flight, but there is almost no demand for premium or business travel. I think this route could perform well if done by a LCC like JetSMART or JetBlue with their A321 XLR. I even doubt AA can make it work with that plane for the same reason.

Also COR has turned to be very connected the last years: LP to LIM, LA to GRU and SCL, CM to PTY, AR to EZE. So competing against these options is really difficult, in such a price-sensitive market.

Hopefully the A321 XLR will come to change this scenario.

Cointrin330

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:37 pm

ScottB wrote:
codc10 wrote:

You have to wonder if the end of the partnership with LATAM also has an impact; it's probably difficult to woo business travelers if you can't offer a connecting option on the days the route doesn't operate.

Probably unrelated. Argentina's economy is once again a mess. LATAM was unlikely to be offering AA much feed on this flight. The COR-MIA was a daylight service and the operation was on an old 767. This route honestly made no sense with this set up. The A321XLR may make it profitable if economic conditions improve.

dcajet

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Rafabozzolla wrote:
PRGEC wrote:

I wonder if AA will actually resume MIA-CNF, I miss the route.

AA did not pull out from CNF to open COR. They pulled out from CNF for the same reason they are pulling out of COR now: the route did not make a profit. Back when COR was announced, (March 2018) Argentina's economy was doing well, particularly demand for air travel. At the time, COR was a good idea that, unfortunately, did not work out, not for lack of demand, but for lack of revenue premium out of Argentina right now in the midst of a recession.

Brickell305 wrote:
Is this really due to the drop in the Argentinian economy? I always thought that EZE-MIA was the route dominated by Argentina point of sale while COR was more US point of sale.

EZE/COR-MIA & EZE-JFK are driven by the Argentina POS. EZE-DFW & EZE-LAX are mostly driven by the US side. And to answer your question, yes.

DCA350 wrote:

Very Bs As-centric. Economically and culturally, Buenos Aires is where it all happens.

Can't compare Colombia and Argentina at all. Geography, proximity to the US and migration waves all play a part here. Colombia can be served from the US with 737s & A320s, it is closer to fly to Colombia from MIA than it is to fly from MIA to say, California. There is also a huge Colombian expat population in the US, which Argentina does not have.

MAH4546

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Argentina’s economy took a bad turn very fast last year so not a complete shock. I’m sure AA will reevaluate the market when things get better down there.
a.

IrishAyes

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:14 pm

dfw88 wrote:
However, with the LA partnership ending, AA is now facing a pseudo-shortage of planes to South America because they're missing their partner lift.

The LA partnership has minimal impact on the CORMIA route termination. COR is not a 4M hub.

Phoenix757767

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:15 pm

VS11 wrote:

Cause those planes undergo scheduled maintenance during the downtime.

dfw88

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:23 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
However, with the LA partnership ending, AA is now facing a pseudo-shortage of planes to South America because they're missing their partner lift.

The LA partnership has minimal impact on the CORMIA route termination. COR is not a 4M hub.

You missed my point entirely. Now that AA has less lift to other, larger South American destinations that LA does serve (such as the larger secondary Brazilian markets), they need to rethink how they're deploying their resources to all of South America. Whereas with LA's help they didn't need to serve Recife, Salvador, Fortaleza, or lots of other cities in Brazil (using Brazil as an example), now they might decide that they do. If they have a marginal-to-bad COR route versus the possibility of (re)starting another route that they know, because they have data of folks booking through AA onto LA, has more demand and better yields than COR, they may be walking away from COR even if it's not that bad because they need the plane elsewhere. That's why I tied COR to the LA fallout, not because that route itself actually depended on LA (or 4M) in any form. I admit that this is speculation, but it's not at all improbable.

FSDan

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:33 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
FSDan wrote:

I doubt that. If the 767 fleet was an issue, MIA-COR never would have been launched.

Aircraft type is obviously only part of the equation along with route performance, but I don't think it's a non-factor either. AA launched various new long haul routes with 763s in the last few years, knowing that they would need to be able to see the routes develop enough to support larger equipment in the short term, or that they'd need to drop them if they weren't sustainable. We've seen PHL-BLQ dropped quickly, and now MIA-COR. PHL-TXL/PRG/BUD/DBV all seem to have potential to stick around longer term, with potential upgauges to 332 or 788 equipment over the next few years. Either way, sending paid-off 763s on these more experimental routes was a good way for AA to test the waters and see if they were viable longer term. Keep and upgauge what works; cut the rest; squeeze a little extra utility out of a fleet with a pitifully noncompetitive hard product while you're at it.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos