wedgetail737

Re: Japan Airlines Eyeing New U.S. Destinations

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:23 am

I think it'll be PDX...since they get feed from AS.

ArchGuy1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:29 am

Possible destinations hould include Miami, Phoenix, Houston International, Austin, Minneapolis/St.Paul, and Salt Lake City.

JohanTally

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 am

I know CLT doesn't have the O/D that other markets have but it is the third most connected Airport in the US only behind ORD and ATL and benefits from being 90 minutes or less from every East Coast city.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... rvey-says/

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Possible destinations hould include Miami, Phoenix, Houston International, Austin, Minneapolis/St.Paul, and Salt Lake City.

Yeah...I can see AUS and PHX.

Chasensfo

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:40 am

I'd expect a return to Vegas before SJC, or even Florida, honestly. With SFO going double daily(HND\NRT) and ANA already established at SJC, I'd expect PDX before SJC, and I don't expect PDX either lol.

aemoreira1981

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 am

If talking North America, what about MEX on JL metal, on days when AM doesn’t operate to NRT? (That is currently served via a codeshare.) This could be on a B788...late morning arrival and late night return to hold for connections.

Josh32121

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:57 am

Chasensfo wrote:
I'd expect a return to Vegas before SJC, or even Florida, honestly. With SFO going double daily(HND\NRT) and ANA already established at SJC, I'd expect PDX before SJC, and I don't expect PDX either lol.

That would make a lot of sense in light of AA's denied request for a HND frequency from LAS. There was a lot of discussion on these forums during the proceeding talking about the volume on that city pair but that much of it was Japan-originating and would make perfect sense for JL to add if AA didn't get the authority. Has JL already announced all of their route additions from the recent allocation, or are they doing it piecemeal?

chepos

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 am

My top three picks would be
LAS, AUS and PHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

chepos

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:06 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
If talking North America, what about MEX on JL metal, on days when AM doesn’t operate to NRT? (That is currently served via a codeshare.) This could be on a B788...late morning arrival and late night return to hold for connections.

Between AM and NH operating MEX-NRT already I think the route is well covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

ArchGuy1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:01 am

I could also see Japan Airlines operating from Tokyo to Orlando.

sonicruiser

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:06 am

Not surprised at all to see Orlando. I'm very confident we will see it before MIA does.

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:09 am

BWIAirport wrote:
I would think PHL would be a slam dunk considering the onward OneWorld connections and the fact it would be the first link from the airport to east Asia

The same could've been said nearly two decades ago, but with US and Star.

If cnnx were a carrier's concern, PHL (being hub-hub for both Star previously and OneWorld currently) would've had Tokyo service a long time ago.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:31 am

Maybe it's OAK, since they are losing all of their overseas service. Probably too close to SFO.

cm642

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:39 am

Considering he mentioned starting markets "in coordination with its partner American Airlines" I can see PHX, PHL, and maybe MIA. Another possibility I could see is LAS due to AA's LAS-HND application.
Last edited by cm642 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ITSTours

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:40 am

With NH and UA flying HND double daily, with not-so-good load factors (74% load factor, Jan-May 2019; as low as 61% in February), IAD does not seem to be a good target.
In comparison, BOS (only JL flies currently) saw the 84% load factors during the same period. Sources US BTS.

leftcoast8

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:43 am

Perhaps American could restart SJC/AUS-NRT (though it would probably be SJC-HND and AUS-HND).

Or for an even more fantastical idea, JAL could move SEA, YVR or SAN from NRT to HND. With no NRT service, this would open the door to a SIN-NRT-YVR flight by SQ (since SQ isn't slot-restricted at NRT like it is at ICN, which was the stopover the last time SQ tried SIN-YVR). Or Thai could restart its BKK-NRT-SEA route from the 80s (if TG ever gets its act together...)

zakuivcustom

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:59 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
Perhaps American could restart SJC/AUS-NRT (though it would probably be SJC-HND and AUS-HND).

Or for an even more fantastical idea, JAL could move SEA, YVR or SAN from NRT to HND. With no NRT service, this would open the door to a SIN-NRT-YVR flight by SQ (since SQ isn't slot-restricted at NRT like it is at ICN, which was the stopover the last time SQ tried SIN-YVR). Or Thai could restart its BKK-NRT-SEA route from the 80s (if TG ever gets its act together...)

With what HND slot?

BTW, Singapore and South Korea just expanded their air bilateral:
viewtopic.php?t=1435509

No more restriction on SK-Singapore flights and much expanded fifth freedom. So a restart of SIN-ICN-YVR is much more probable than just a month before.

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:13 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:

With what HND slot?

BTW, Singapore and South Korea just expanded their air bilateral:
viewtopic.php?t=1435509

No more restriction on SK-Singapore flights and much expanded fifth freedom. So a restart of SIN-ICN-YVR is much more probable than just a month before.

If AC has their way, there will be no service with SQ at YVR. AC was why SQ left in the first place.

TWA772LR

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:18 am

I'd say PHL is the next one up. Large eastern US city in to a JV hub with big economy and no existing Asia flights to compete with as well as great connections for the region that are arguably better than JFK.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:20 am

I'd say PHL is the next one up. Large eastern US city in to a JV hub with big economy and no existing Asia flights to compete with as well as great connections for the region that are arguably better than JFK.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:24 am

leftcoast8 wrote:

I would love to see another Asian carrier at SEA. But I think the Asia-SEA market is pretty saturated. Xiamen Airlines left the SEA market after CX and SQ announced service. But TG, Malaysian or Garuda would be cool, but I don't think it's too realistic. I am curious to see what happens when all of the Tokyo flights move to HND. It does leave NRT wide open. Are there any NRT authorities after the HND moves?

Miami

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:10 am

Orlando is not happening before Miami.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Tabito

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:20 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think it'll be PDX...since they get feed from AS.

Some Japanese media reported ZIP Air's first TPAC destination will be PDX and HNL.

longhauler

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:22 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
If AC has their way, there will be no service with SQ at YVR. AC was why SQ left in the first place.

I don’t know why this incorrect information arises on the site continuously.

First of all, AC has little to say with the present Singapore/Canada bilateral. Currently, SQ is free to fly to Canada as often as they like, to any city. Also, they can exercise fifth freedom rights up to four times a week, whether AC likes it or not.

But these fifth freedom rights must be agreeable to all three countries. Fine for Singapore and Canada, but if you think Canada is careful with its traffic rights, get a close look at Japan. I would be surprised if they allowed SQ to carry passengers between TYO and YVR, competing with NH and JL.

And why doesn’t Canada wish to extend fifth freedom rights to Singapore beyond four times a week? Because in the late 1980s, AC was flying LHR-BOM-SIN, four times a week as allowed, it was a successful route. (SQ’s SIN-ICN-YVR was not). When Canada asked for increased frequencies, it was denied. When Canada asked for increased gauge, it was denied. When Canada asked to operate a combi freighter on the route, it was denied. So ..... five years later when Singapore decides it wants more freedoms to Canada, what do you think the response was? Thus .... the bilateral has not changed much since then.
Last edited by longhauler on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Chasensfo

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe it's OAK, since they are losing all of their overseas service. Probably too close to SFO.

If OAK couldn't even hold onto Ultra Low Cost carriers with popular leisure destinations on both ends, I highly doubt they can sustain any long haul legacy airline service at this point. For decades, OAK's only longhaul service were seasonal low-cost charters, and after a "boom" period, I think OAK is going back to the way things were, sadly. I'd be shocked if any Asian legacy airline added OAK before SJC.

Distance from SFO has nothing to do with it, though. With no traffic(so weekends and night time basically, lol) SJC is closer than OAK to SFO driving. I usually make SFO-SJC with no traffic in just under 30 minutes, while OAK is about 40-45. Most of the day during the week(other than a few hours in the early AM and early afternoon), they're about 1.5-2 hours away each from SFO depending on traffic, sadly.

Bigant0408

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:29 am

theasianguy wrote:
I could see ZIPAIR expanding to LAS and MCO on a non-daily basis in the future.

JAL could launch SJC in the next 1-2 years, but with 7 daily nonstops between the Bay Area and Tokyo come next summer, I believe it may end up replacing the recently announced SFO-NRT.

AA would be better off flying PHL-NRT once they get some 787s based there. The flight could capture East Coast-Japan connections. If timed to make a 2 hour turnaround between 4-6 PM at NRT, it would be great for PHL-Asia connections, and rotate the frame with some PHL-Europe flying on the US end.

AA stated they have no intentions on starting this route for now as their focus for PHL is transatlantic. It would be nice but I feel JAL would be the only airlines to work
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:17 am

Chasensfo wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

If OAK couldn't even hold onto Ultra Low Cost carriers with popular leisure destinations on both ends, I highly doubt they can sustain any long haul legacy airline service at this point. For decades, OAK's only longhaul service were seasonal low-cost charters, and after a "boom" period, I think OAK is going back to the way things were, sadly. I'd be shocked if any Asian legacy airline added OAK before SJC.

Distance from SFO has nothing to do with it, though. With no traffic(so weekends and night time basically, lol) SJC is closer than OAK to SFO driving. I usually make SFO-SJC with no traffic in just under 30 minutes, while OAK is about 40-45. Most of the day during the week(other than a few hours in the early AM and early afternoon), they're about 1.5-2 hours away each from SFO depending on traffic, sadly.

I totally agree. I mentioned it with a little bit of sarcasm. I remember in the 1980's, OAK tried to lure Korean Air. Of course, that didn't happen. Then in the early 2000's, a short-lived, Hong Kong airline was going to start OAK, but shifted their attention to SFO, which never happened anyway.

wedgetail737

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:22 am

longhauler wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I don’t know why this incorrect information arises on the site continuously.

First of all, AC has little to say with the present Singapore/Canada bilateral. Currently, SQ is free to fly to Canada as often as they like, to any city. Also, they can exercise fifth freedom rights up to four times a week, whether AC likes it or not.

But these fifth freedom rights must be agreeable to all three countries. Fine for Singapore and Canada, but if you think Canada is careful with its traffic rights, get a close look at Japan. I would be surprised if they allowed SQ to carry passengers between TYO and YVR, competing with NH and JL.

And why doesn’t Canada wish to extend fifth freedom rights to Singapore beyond four times a week? Because in the late 1980s, AC was flying LHR-BOM-SIN, four times a week as allowed, it was a successful route. (SQ’s SIN-ICN-YVR was not). When Canada asked for increased frequencies, it was denied. When Canada asked for increased gauge, it was denied. When Canada asked to operate a combi freighter on the route, it was denied. So ..... five years later when Singapore decides it wants more freedoms to Canada, what do you think the response was? Thus .... the bilateral has not changed much since then.

Thanks for the correction. But I just don't see SQ returning to YVR anytime soon.

longhauler

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:50 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Thanks for the correction. But I just don't see SQ returning to YVR anytime soon.

With the advent of very efficient long haul aircraft, the possibility is now there, where it wasn’t before. It really comes down to whether YVR (or YYZ for that matter) could support a daily nonstop.

SIN as a destination/hub does not offer a lot of efficient connections from North America, like it does from the South Pacific to Europe. The better connected Asian hubs like NRT/HND, Seoul or even Hong Kong still offer better options. Which with the current decline of HKG, I’m not surprised JAL is looking at expanding into the US.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

LondonXtreme

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:50 am

JL will eventually start MIA, it just a matter of time. TYO-MIA can offer one stop connection between Japan and South and Central America, which offers more than what current NRT-DFW does. Also, TYO-MIA can connect passengers from East Asia and Southeast to MIA and south FL.

aemoreira1981

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:41 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Not surprised at all to see Orlando. I'm very confident we will see it before MIA does.

But keep in mind that the long-haul planes for JL are ultra-premium heavy. Could a 290-seat B788 from ZIPAIR Tokyo make the trip to MCO without penalty on the return? I see ZG being used to less premium destinations in the Americas...could SAN move from JL to ZG?

As for PHL, NW, had it kept its A340 orders, would have used the A340-300 to launch PHL-NRT.

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:51 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

PHL isn't going to offer many meaningful connections beyond what are already served by ORD - and ORD would mean less overflying.

Every thread about ow service adds USA-Asia has the many posts about MIA/CLT/PHL - and they never happen. Some day one may, but I don't think it will be driven by cruise ship workers MIA-TYO-MNL.

usflyer msp

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:20 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

PHL isn't going to offer many meaningful connections beyond what are already served by ORD - and ORD would mean less overflying.

Every thread about ow service adds USA-Asia has the many posts about MIA/CLT/PHL - and they never happen. Some day one may, but I don't think it will be driven by cruise ship workers MIA-TYO-MNL.

...but ORD-NRT is being suspended (supposedly temporarily) and ORD-HND is not useful for those travelling beyond Tokyo. There is an opening for PHL-NRT under those circumstances.

ucdtim17

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

The market for OAK does not live at the airport. Most of it is north of the airport, where travel times to SFO aren’t worse enough to overcome the huge discrepancy in service at the two airports. If you just look at market fundamentals, OAK has always punched far below its weight, which has everything to do with SFO being not quite inconvenient enough to drive substantial traffic to OAK.

Edit: I should say 15 years ago, OAK had ~40% of the traffic that SFO had, which roughly made sense based on how population and businesses are distributed. Now it’s approaching 20% and falling, which makes less sense. Business has moved from one to the other, which suggests they are substitutes.
Last edited by ucdtim17 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneAA

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:26 pm

JohanTally wrote:
I know CLT doesn't have the O/D that other markets have but it is the third most connected Airport in the US only behind ORD and ATL and benefits from being 90 minutes or less from every East Coast city.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... rvey-says/

CLT’s connections don’t matter. AA already connects almost all the Southeast cities through the main hub in DFW. Why would JAL want to connect those same cities through CLT (with less premium traffic) when they connect them quite well through DFW with more premium traffic?

LAX772LR

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:51 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
could SAN move from JL to ZG?

....why would it?

SAN does quite well for JL.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

stl07

Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:34 pm

AUS, BNA, IND :stirthepot:
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

AirFiero

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:21 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I totally agree. I mentioned it with a little bit of sarcasm. I remember in the 1980's, OAK tried to lure Korean Air. Of course, that didn't happen. Then in the early 2000's, a short-lived, Hong Kong airline was going to start OAK, but shifted their attention to SFO, which never happened anyway.

I’d bet on KE at SJC before JA doubling Tokyo. Lots of tech business traffic from the Bay Area to Seoul.

Wacko55

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:44 am

AUS is way too small and has very limited long haul service. Stop it. No way they we'll ever get TPAC service.

lhpdx

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:04 am

Maybe PDX??

Chasensfo

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:10 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
I remember in the 1980's, OAK tried to lure Korean Air. Of course, that didn't happen. Then in the early 2000's, a short-lived, Hong Kong airline was going to start OAK, but shifted their attention to SFO, which never happened anyway.

Yep, Oasis Hong Kong. Air Asia X had shown interest in OAK as well, but still has yet to start US flights about a decade later. Hainan also went as far as looking into staff and hiring a station manager at OAK before selecting SJC at the last minute for their PEK flight. So British Airways remains the only international legacy airline to have scheduled flights to OAK at one point, the others were all charter/low cost like LEVEL, Norwegian, Arkefly, Martinair, CityBird, Corsair, ect. with the only other exception being SATA's seasonal service. I think this trend will continue, but I'd love to be wrong.

AirFiero wrote:
I’d bet on KE at SJC before JA doubling Tokyo. Lots of tech business traffic from the Bay Area to Seoul.

JAL is already doubling Tokyo, re-adding an SFO-NRT flight in addition to SFO-HND. But I agree that if SJC were to get a new Asian airline, I'd expect Korean Air with 787s a few times weekly.

AirFiero

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:19 am

Chasensfo wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I remember in the 1980's, OAK tried to lure Korean Air. Of course, that didn't happen. Then in the early 2000's, a short-lived, Hong Kong airline was going to start OAK, but shifted their attention to SFO, which never happened anyway.

Yep, Oasis Hong Kong. Air Asia X had shown interest in OAK as well, but still has yet to start US flights about a decade later. Hainan also went as far as looking into staff and hiring a station manager at OAK before selecting SJC at the last minute for their PEK flight. So British Airways remains the only international legacy airline to have scheduled flights to OAK at one point, the others were all charter/low cost like LEVEL, Norwegian, Arkefly, Martinair, CityBird, Corsair, ect. with the only other exception being SATA's seasonal service. I think this trend will continue, but I'd love to be wrong.

AirFiero wrote:

JAL is already doubling Tokyo, re-adding an SFO-NRT flight in addition to SFO-HND. But I agree that if SJC were to get a new Asian airline, I'd expect Korean Air with 787s a few times weekly.

Sorry, I meant doubling up on Tokyo to the Bay Area by adding SJC.

wedgetail737

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:45 am

AirFiero wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

AirFiero wrote:

It's too bad Air China's service to PVG from SJC didn't work out. Anyone know why that route didn't work?

Does SJC have enough of a market to have competitors on the TYO route(s)? With the 787-9, KE could work. But does SJC have enough room?

jplatts

Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:59 am

MARSHAL1 wrote:
I don't know about IAD or SJC with All Nippon airways on those routes.

PHLspecial wrote:
I'm surprised IAD is not served now by JAL.

DCA350 wrote:
I would love to see IAD personally but I doubt they want to take on a Star A* stronghold that already has two daily flights.

USAirALB wrote:
JL used to serve IAD with a 747 back in the 90s. Not sure if the flight was nonstop or if it stopped somewhere.

It would be nice to see them back in IAD, but I would say the market is pretty well served to TYO with both ANA (daily 77W) and UA on the route, both of whom just announced they were switching the route to HND. I think JL could probably make IAD work with a 787.

JL adding TYO-IAD nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) AA having a significant FF base in the Washington, DC metro area due to the AA DCA hub,
(b) BA, CX, and QR in the oneworld alliance already serving IAD,
(c) IB in the oneworld alliance resuming IAD-MAD nonstop service on May 1, 2020,
and
(d) Tokyo and Washington, DC both being national capital cities.

While UA and NH both serve TYO nonstop from IAD, there are some AA FF's in DC and JL FF's in Tokyo who have elite status on AA or JL but not on UA or NH. JL would be able to capture some of the TYO-WAS traffic that is currently connecting onto an AA flight to IAD, DCA, or BWI from an JL or AA flight out of TYO and vice versa if it adds TYO-IAD nonstop service.

AirFiero

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:40 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

It's too bad Air China's service to PVG from SJC didn't work out. Anyone know why that route didn't work?

Does SJC have enough of a market to have competitors on the TYO route(s)? With the 787-9, KE could work. But does SJC have enough room?

Yeah, you’d think the tech connection would support 3x/a week. I remember someone gave a reason why SFO flights work better, maybe UA frequent fliers?

I doubt SJC can support two flights to Tokyo, unless JAL or its alliance can draw the passengers from SFO. Maybe KAL to Seoul would do better.

Physically, at least two 787s can and do park at the international gates simultaneously.

J343

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:03 pm

JL
HND/NRT - MIA/MCO via YVR (I wish!)
HND/NRT - PHL

washingtonflyer

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:13 pm

I definitely see PHL in this one. No other Asia service by any carrier. I certainly see this over CLT which gives you access to OAJ, SAV, GSO, and MOB. Not high on the list of travel destinations for Japanese passengers.

With respect to MCO/MIA, I thought that part of the issue with MIA was that it becomes a range/performance issue of the aircraft. If not, I'd see MIA over MCO as MIA gives you access to SA that MCO doesn't. MCO is purely leisure traffic for Japan.

blockski

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:31 pm

jplatts wrote:
MARSHAL1 wrote:

PHLspecial wrote:

DCA350 wrote:
I would love to see IAD personally but I doubt they want to take on a Star A* stronghold that already has two daily flights.

USAirALB wrote:
JL used to serve IAD with a 747 back in the 90s. Not sure if the flight was nonstop or if it stopped somewhere.

It would be nice to see them back in IAD, but I would say the market is pretty well served to TYO with both ANA (daily 77W) and UA on the route, both of whom just announced they were switching the route to HND. I think JL could probably make IAD work with a 787.

(a) AA having a significant FF base in the Washington, DC metro area due to the AA DCA hub,
(c) IB in the oneworld alliance resuming IAD-MAD nonstop service on May 1, 2020,
and

While UA and NH both serve TYO nonstop from IAD, there are some AA FF's in DC and JL FF's in Tokyo who have elite status on AA or JL but not on UA or NH. JL would be able to capture some of the TYO-WAS traffic that is currently connecting onto an AA flight to IAD, DCA, or BWI from an JL or AA flight out of TYO and vice versa if it adds TYO-IAD nonstop service.

Another factor with service to Washington is that both UA and ANA are moving their flights from NRT to HND; that perhaps opens a door for some connecting opportunities beyond Tokyo for JL at NRT?

But it still would be a lot of new service.

Nicknuzzii

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Is there actually any chance of PHL here?

apodino

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:25 pm

jplatts wrote:
MARSHAL1 wrote:

PHLspecial wrote:

DCA350 wrote:

USAirALB wrote:

and

I was just about to point this out. AA has a big hub at DCA which leads to a big FF base in the area. AA metal doesn't make sense out of IAD, but with the JVs in place, JL metal makes perfect sense out of IAD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos