IPFreely
Topic Author

Senior FA sues DL for wrongful termination

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:52 am

Fired DL FA suing the airline for wrongful termination. Must have been #1 on the seniority list. Sounds like a real PR mess.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/delta-fl ... ilk-carton

RDUDDJI

Re: Senior FA sues DL for wrongful termination

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:04 am

IPFreely wrote:
Fired DL FA suing the airline for wrongful termination. Must have been #1 on the seniority list. Sounds like a real PR mess.

Not really a PR mess if she was fired for cause.

$250K/yr for a FA, wow. There are lots of doctors, pilots, etc. that don’t get paid near that amount... I can’t imagine why anyone making that kind of Jack is still working at near 80yo. I’d be “sitting on a beach earning 20%” -Hans Gruber.
Last edited by RDUDDJI on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Q

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:04 am

Whoa, FA made $250K a year than Captain made top salary $200K on 777. Crazy!

Q

RDUDDJI

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:08 am

Q wrote:

Q

That’s the real story here. I don’t think much of the public is going to feel sorry for her considering the average earnings are about a quarter of that amount.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

NYCAAer

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:31 am

I find it hard to believe that any flight attendant would be earning $250K a year. I don’t know how it would be physically possible, unless she flew every day, all year. Even with the large profit-sharing checks at DL, the amount she’s earning sounds exaggerated.

longhauler

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:51 am

Having worked at several airlines, I know a zero tolerance policy usually exists with regard to theft. That also includes taking a can of soda with you on a layover. I know it sounds petty, but everyone has been warned and the line has been drawn.

Q wrote:
Q

Top pay scale for a DL 777 Captain is around $315,000. (Not including profit sharing, per diem or retirement funds).

I am curious though, looking at DL’s F/A pay scales, how one earns $250,000 a year? Is that including per diem, pension, overtime, etc. It almost seems unattainable unless one is working 24/7.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

NWAESC

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:10 am

It’s possible that in addition to flying all day every day, she’s collecting both her pension and Social Security as well. I don’t think all 3 would still get you to $250k, but...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

AEROFAN

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:16 am

Why the hell are you working at 79? I pray that never happens to me. In terms of safety, who is there for whom? I would think I would be there for hers instead of she being there for mine.

IPFreely
Topic Author

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:20 am

RDUDDJI wrote:
That’s the real story here. I don’t think much of the public is going to feel sorry for her considering the average earnings are about a quarter of that amount.

Not thinking about the public as much as all the other FA's. With a pending union vote the company just gave the AFA a "reach the top of the pay scale and you'll be fired" story to promote.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:24 am

Top pay is $354/ hour, so closer to $350,000 plus 14% profit sharing plus 16% company401 k plus matching of pilot 401k contributions. Pay plus the company 401k puts pay over $410,000 withou5 overtime green slips. Outliers, but they had $900,000 A350 captains last year. Nr. 1 F/A makes $250,000; very possibly not the only one.

longhauler

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:32 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Top pay is $354/ hour, so closer to $350,000 plus 14% profit sharing plus 16% company401 k plus matching of pilot 401k contributions. Pay plus the company 401k puts pay over $410,000 withou5 overtime green slips. Outliers, but they had $900,000 A350 captains last year.

I was purposely underestimating at 900 hrs a year.

As far as outliers go .... It’s a funny business. With the MAX grounding and double and triple time, we have A320 Captains making $45,000 a month and still not working more than 16 days a month! ;)
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

FlyHPN

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:32 am

Cathay had a similar incident earlier this year: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1420965

Phoenix757767

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:40 am

It was her own milk, not Delta’s according to her.

YVRda

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:40 am

NYCAAer wrote:
I find it hard to believe that any flight attendant would be earning $250K a year. I don’t know how it would be physically possible, unless she flew every day, all year. Even with the large profit-sharing checks at DL, the amount she’s earning sounds exaggerated.

Delta FAs have no cap on their monthly hours so they can fly a lot of overtime on top of their block hours. Over time is 1.5 for the first overtime trip and double after that.

For example is she was scheduled 80hrs then picked up over time to 150hrs a month at the top hourly wage of $69hr plus perdiem and premiums thats quite the pay cheque each month. Top it off with profit sharing of probably $30-40k I can see how she can make $250,000 a year.

Prost

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:50 am

She did work almost every day.

questions

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:56 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Top pay is $354/ hour, so closer to $350,000 plus 14% profit sharing plus 16% company401 k plus matching of pilot 401k contributions. Pay plus the company 401k puts pay over $410,000 withou5 overtime green slips. Outliers, but they had $900,000 A350 captains last year. Nr. 1 F/A makes $250,000; very possibly not the only one.

IRS has a cap on combined employer/employee contributions to 401k, i.e., it’s not unlimited.

questions

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:07 am

longhauler wrote:
As far as outliers go .... It’s a funny business. With the MAX grounding and double and triple time, we have A320 Captains making $45,000 a month and still not working more than 16 days a month! ;)

They should get it while they can and invest it. It’s amazing how many people spend overtime and bonus pay on more stuff. “I deserve it.” I have invested every bonus check I’ve received. It’s crazy how it compounds over time. I’d rather have financial freedom and flexibility in the future than a garage full of stuff I don’t use any longer.

Back to the topic. Something doesn’t sound right about this story. Suddenly co-workers started ganging up on her? Suddenly she became a thief? Fired vs offering a decent buyout to quietly go/retire?

Braybuddy

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:21 am

I'm shocked that someone is still working, never mind as a flight attendant, at 79. Surely there are safety issues here?

NYPECO

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:53 am

Braybuddy wrote:
I'm shocked that someone is still working, never mind as a flight attendant, at 79. Surely there are safety issues here?

If she passes her yearly training like everyone else, her age doesn't really matter I would assume.

chepos

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:04 am

Braybuddy wrote:

If you pass recurrent you are good to go. AA’s #1 is Betty Nash, 83, and she is excellent at what she does.

If you fly long haul out of the US on the US3 you will notice many of the crew members tend to be senior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

PanAm747LHR

Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:35 am

This is a load of BS cooked up by her lawyer. I've spoken with a few people at DL in LA who worked with her and this is what I've got.

Yes, milk had to do with it. She would often take the milk off the plane because she liked the milk in a carton. Who knows why. The problem is she wasn't declaring it to customs. The fourth time she was stopped at SYD, they fined her. The crew ended up waiting two hours, their rest was reduced, the return flight was delayed because of that - and both she and Delta were fined.

Also, she had already been removed from the Purser program for a number of infractions including refusing a trip when she was escalated to the purser position (she had been flying non-purser on that particular trip) and bribing junior flight attendants to work the aft galley for her so she wouldn't have to do any lifting. Basically, Delta had a file a mile thick and she did it to herself. Hopefully she'll now kick back and enjoy retirement and maybe learn how to complete a customs declaration.

Boeing757rb211

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:07 am

I had a really good friend who worked for US based out of PHX, Pre US/AA merger around when people were still just talking about it as a rumor. And unfortunately he literally worked until he died 2 years ago i believe the merger had just happened ? Because i remember him still being concerned about it with there still being a huge divide with a West / East abased crews after their last merger with America West and that this new one with AA would just make a massive mess but in the end (i guess literally for him).. he was still scheduled to work when it happened. Even i sometimes wondered how the heck he could still be flying / working at his age,, but he just absolutely loved it and always passed his exams so he just kept on going until, well he couldn't anymore :/ He was a great friend and F/A and really cared about actually taking the time to make individual people happy and fix problems on every single flight he worked till the end..

ABEguy

Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:22 am

questions wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

IRS has a cap on combined employer/employee contributions to 401k, i.e., it’s not unlimited.

At AA, when that limit is reached they just add the 16% into your paycheck for the remainder of the year. I’m sure Delta does the same.

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:11 pm

She is entitled to take this to court. If it proceeds to a verdict the truth will come out and be part of the public record. She withdrawing the suit, or DL settling the suit, would terminate the public finding.

Phoenix757767

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:17 pm

PanAm747LHR wrote:
This is a load of BS cooked up by her lawyer. I've spoken with a few people at DL in LA who worked with her and this is what I've got.

Yes, milk had to do with it. She would often take the milk off the plane because she liked the milk in a carton. Who knows why. The problem is she wasn't declaring it to customs. The fourth time she was stopped at SYD, they fined her. The crew ended up waiting two hours, their rest was reduced, the return flight was delayed because of that - and both she and Delta were fined.

Also, she had already been removed from the Purser program for a number of infractions including refusing a trip when she was escalated to the purser position (she had been flying non-purser on that particular trip) and bribing junior flight attendants to work the aft galley for her so she wouldn't have to do any lifting. Basically, Delta had a file a mile thick and she did it to herself. Hopefully she'll now kick back and enjoy retirement and maybe learn how to complete a customs declaration.

First of all your post is hearsay and second it’s against the law for Delta to tell or leak to anyone about what’s in here file.

johns624

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:21 pm

When people work this long when they don't monetarily have to, that just means that they never had a life outside of work. That, or they have a phobia about "running out of money". You hear them all the time "I wouldn't know what to do with all that free time". If you had a life, you'd find plenty to do to fill it.

johns624

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
First of all your post is hearsay and second it’s against the law for Delta to tell or leak to anyone about what’s in here file.

1. This is an internet forum, not a court of law, so there's no such thing as "hearsay".
2. It may be against the law for Delta to leak information, but a Delta employee can gossip with friends about what they personally know. It wouldn't have to be her "file".

global1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:33 pm

There’s always more to these stories than meets the eye.

I don’t know her nor have I ever flown with her, BUT, the word on the street (or galley) is that she was notorious for allegedly taking things off the aircraft and no one wanted to fly with her because of it.

My understanding is that Delta offered her the option to retire and she chose termination instead.

The allegation that her coworkers wanted her gone so that their seniority number would go up by 1 number (out of 26,000) or because of the salary she says she made (only possible by working every day of your life) is,
quite frankly, delusional.

Stupid to risk your job over a carton of milk.
Last edited by global1 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airbazar

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:44 pm

NYPECO wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

If she passes her yearly training like everyone else, her age doesn't really matter I would assume.

then there's a real problem with the training or we need to stop the charade that FA's are there for our safety and not to serve passengers. There's a reason why pilots have to stop flying at 65 regardless of whether they are fit to pass the training or not. Sorry, 79 is still 79 an no amount of avocado toast will change that.

Packson

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:03 pm

global1 wrote:
There’s always more to these stories than meets the eye.

I don’t know her nor have I ever flown with her, BUT, the word on the street (or galley) is that she was notorious for allegedly taking things off the aircraft and no one wanted to fly with her because of it.

My understanding is that Delta offered her the option to retire and she chose termination instead.

The allegation that her coworkers wanted her gone so that their seniority number would go up by 1 (out of 26,000) or because of the salary she says she made (only possible by working every day of your life) is,
quite frankly, delusional.

No kidding. These forums really bring out some crazy conspiracy stories. Do you think Delta is going t ok fire someone for taking a milk off the plane "once" during a push for unionization attempt? The Pro-Union group thinks this is a glaring reason for representation.

If I was the Captain on this flight and the crew was delayed in customs, I would be forced to let the company know we needed adjusted rest. If it resulted in a delay I can tell you that would be looked at far worse than a carton of milk missing.

Stupid to risk your job over a carton of milk.

Varsity1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:05 pm

We need a retirement age for FA’s. I think 65 is a good number. When we hit the ground with the plane on fire, I want no doubt that they can drag people out.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

747cllipper747

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:09 pm

No one here knows what happened. It’s all speculation and as we all know there is her side, Deltas side and there’s god the story! Bottom line if you steal there is no place for you!!! Done!! Toast!!

Detroit313

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Flight attendants get terminated all the time at Delta. There is no union to protect them, so...

ilovepabst

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:30 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Not really a PR mess if she was fired for cause.

$250K/yr for a FA, wow. There are lots of doctors, pilots, etc. that don’t get paid near that amount... I can’t imagine why anyone making that kind of Jack is still working at near 80yo. I’d be “sitting on a beach earning 20%” -Hans Gruber.

Dropping the Hans Gruber line, best part of this thread. Nice

jbmitt

Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:35 pm

I’ve read about other instances where senior FAs bid the good trips and have a scheme where they drop them to junior FAs in exchange for compensation. I wonder if it can be scaled where they pick up other trips and/or displace people from positions to avoid hard work.

I’m guessing that if DL terminated this person, they had sufficient information to support it. They are a robust company with access to HR staff and attorneys to advise what they can and cannot do.

ozark1

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Ok. Here are just my few cents. If she claims to have made $250,000 a year, then she was probably terminated for not being of sound mind. My airline pays comparably to DL and I am very senior and at the top of the pay scale. If I flew 180 hours a month for a year I would make $142,650. People have indeed flown that much and there are times when more can be made as a purser or when the company is short and offers time and a half pay. If she physically flew that much then he probably tried to exit the plane through the Lav door or passed out from exhaustion in the aisle on the beverage cart.
All joking aside, if she is insisting on $250k then a large chunk came from profit sharing, which DL is known to be generous with.
I am going to put my neck out and say it was one of three things 1) alcoholism or 2) the inability to perform her evacuation duties at recurrent training. Our most senior f/a years ago had to be let go because she could not get the forward entry door open on the MD80 with the slide resistance pack installed.. 3) continual, major, blatant theft. My company has an excellent EAP program for substance abuse that they utilize as a team with the union in order to get rehab up and running and then giving him/her a second chance afterwards. The company pays for the majority of it and she would be required to take very frequent random drug tests, but at my carrier you get a second chance. DL may be different (one strike you’re out).
The door opening problem is an easy one. In that case she could have just been offered retirement. But the theft? No way you will have any company or union assistance there. With all the surveillance cameras everywhere and observations of onboard pilfering by co workers she would be doomed. In that case it would come down to her employment history and the mood of the higher-ups. They could tell her to retire or just kick her out with no benefits. I’ll make no comment on that
BUT, I wil definitely comment on the treatment of senior flight attendants by junior ones. There is a strong resentment, by many, toward those of us who, having earned it, get the best schedules. Those types want nothing to do with us on the plane....and that is totally the way I want it. The majority of new people are delightful to work with. But all in all I keep a low profile, do my job well, and don’t get caught up in inflight drama (that’s why I stay away from wide bodies). It’s so wonderful to be close to retirement and to no longer care what anyone thinks of me.

panamair

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Flight attendants get terminated all the time at Delta. There is no union to protect them, so...

Flight attendants get terminated all the time at United or American or Southwest or [fill in your carrier here]. And there is a union at those carriers...so..

cessna2

Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50 pm

YVRda wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:

Delta FAs have no cap on their monthly hours so they can fly a lot of overtime on top of their block hours. Over time is 1.5 for the first overtime trip and double after that.

For example is she was scheduled 80hrs then picked up over time to 150hrs a month at the top hourly wage of $69hr plus perdiem and premiums thats quite the pay cheque each month. Top it off with profit sharing of probably $30-40k I can see how she can make $250,000 a year.

There is no “overtime” at DL. Any trip(s) you pick up after bids are run is paid at straight pay. Only in the summer can you earn an extra $1000 by flying 100hrs plus in June, July, August.

This FA would work SYD back to back. Fly in at 6am from SYD and sign back in that night. Since the layover was over 28hrs it counted as her rest for the FAA 24/7 rule. She was easily working over 200hrs a month.

RJNUT

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:08 pm

what I found most interesting in this story was that she originated with Bonanza in the '60's and ultimately, though a series of mergers, became a Delta employee!

Antarius

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

then there's a real problem with the training or we need to stop the charade that FA's are there for our safety and not to serve passengers. There's a reason why pilots have to stop flying at 65 regardless of whether they are fit to pass the training or not. Sorry, 79 is still 79 an no amount of avocado toast will change that.

Or, we stop making assumptions just because of someone's age. I know people over twice my age who are in great shape and could snap me into two.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN LAS SJC OAK DEN TXL GDL

kiowa

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Braybuddy wrote:

Did not Strom Thurmond collect a paycheck after 100 years old as a federal senator? Of course the question is "working" not collecting a pay check.

NWAESC

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:40 pm

johns624 wrote:
When people work this long when they don't monetarily have to, that just means that they never had a life outside of work. That, or they have a phobia about "running out of money". You hear them all the time "I wouldn't know what to do with all that free time". If you had a life, you'd find plenty to do to fill it.

Maybe this is how she liked to spend her time. Who are we to say?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

kiowa

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:41 pm

airbazar wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

That sounds like pilots have a federally mandated age discrimination.

alfa164

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Ok. Here are just my few cents. If she claims to have made $250,000 a year, then she was probably terminated for not being of sound mind.

Maybe she included money she could have been making by selling the stuff she was stealing...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Prost

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
We need a retirement age for FA’s. I think 65 is a good number. When we hit the ground with the plane on fire, I want no doubt that they can drag people out.

That’d be great, then give us a defined pension benefit.

CobaltScar

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:55 pm

cessna2 wrote:
This FA would work SYD back to back. Fly in at 6am from SYD and sign back in that night. Since the layover was over 28hrs it counted as her rest for the FAA 24/7 rule. She was easily working over 200hrs a month.

I can't imagine a life lived in nothing but a metal tube and a hotel room all day every day. Crazy

Anyways, the story of milk sneaking through customs makes this whole story plausible. Sounds like that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Does Delta not allow ANYTHING taken off the plane for layovers? Not even a bottle of water? I find that hard to believe. I need to talk to some long haul widebody crew, I want to hear about wide body drama.

HunterATL

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:21 pm

First, there is no federal law that prohibits any employer from disclosing anything about your employment or the terms of your termination except for medical information protected by HIPPA. Moreover, each state provides a qualified privilege from defamation claims in order to encourage employers to be honest about why they terminated someone. Even if she had some bizarre privacy claim, she waived her right to privacy the moment she filed a public lawsuit regarding her employment and termination.

Second, the big issue that most have missed is that she also sued multiple flight attendants claiming that they worked in concert to get her fired and provided false information to Delta. Interestingly, she has basically admitted that the information they provided to Delta was a sufficient basis for Delta to terminate her. She has also claimed that there are up to 100 other unknown flight attendants that were involved in this conspiracy and that she intends to sue each of them as well. The fact that she is suing many of the flight attendants she routinely worked with implies to me that few, if any, flight attendants are likely to provide helpful testimony to her and most are likely to provide further evidence supporting the termination. Moreover, claiming that essentially the entire group of LAX flight attendants had it out for her is not likely to garner her any support from even those that might have liked her.

Third, if the AFA had any common sense it would as stay far away as possible from a lawsuit between flight attendants except, possibly, to point out that if the flight attendants were members of the AFA that the AFA might be obligated to provide them with free legal counsel to defend them from this woman's claims. I do not know if that is a benefit that the AFA actually provides, but if so, pointing that out is likely the only positive talking point about a lawsuit in which a former flight attendant is suing her former colleagues for turning over pictures of her luggage full of Delta products.

The sense I get from reading the complaint and from various comments made by some of those involved is that this woman was not well liked by many of the LAX based flight attendants.

Her complaint can be found here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ILED-1.pdf.

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:31 pm

kiowa wrote:
That sounds like pilots have a federally mandated age discrimination.

The phrase you need to know but don't is BONA FIDE OCCUPATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS. In the transportation industries, in particular, employers have shown that age in itself is generally an impairment. Example: mandatory retirement age of 56 for U.S. Air Traffic Controllers. There are other exceptions to protections provided by the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, too.

xxcr

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:35 pm

why is someone still working at 79....especially a flight attendant. To me, that sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

250k a year as a flight attendant.....Sign me up lol

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:36 pm

cessna2 wrote:

This FA would work SYD back to back.

SYD is a problem because of Australian restrictions on certain food imports and requirements for declaration. Do you think she declared it?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos