Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

travelsonic

Re: Senior FA sues DL for wrongful termination

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:33 pm

johns624 wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
First of all your post is hearsay and second it’s against the law for Delta to tell or leak to anyone about what’s in here file.

1. This is an internet forum, not a court of law, so there's no such thing as "hearsay".

Hearsay isn't ONLY a legal term, you know. :roll:

eta unknown

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Hearsay exists, but I don't know why everyone is so upset about it on here, especially as that poster clearly stated 'other people told me'...

Phosphorus

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:40 pm

eta unknown wrote:
You can buy a 1 litre carton of milk in SYD at any Coles or Woolworths supermarket for A$1.10... weird she would steal it off the aircraft. As for eating the chocolates- don't all the crew, especially as they must be thrown away on arrival in SYD.

Many large network hotels in big cities are strategically placed far from grocery and other shopping opportunities (or the other way around; grocery stores and cheaper shopping/eateries are asked to relocate, once a huge hotel moves in). Otherwise, hotel revenues from selling overpriced stuff from minibars, and concession boutiques onsite, would drop.
(And airline crews tend to stay in large network hotels.)

It's not surprising that someone with means of easily obtaining a food item onboard, would be tempted to pick it up. Rather than look for groceries (typically away somewhere), if an item is literally in your hands already.
The thought process could be along the lines "here is this milk carton. It WILL be destroyed at the end of the flight, no 'ifs' and 'buts'. Delta will have to pay disposal company a lot of money to have it incinerated. (and if the charge is by weight -- if the carton stays onboard at the end of the flight -- Delta will pay MORE than if it's gone. Yay! I'm saving company money by removing it from aircraft). And it is of no use to anyone, regardless. But if it migrates from airline locker to my bag, it is at least of use to me. I will not have to go searching for a grocery shop upon arrival -- I will just take a shower and collapse in my bed, to take some rest. And when I need it -- the milk is right here.".

Yes, there is the quarantine thing, and if she broke those quarantine rules and got company in trouble -- I see why the company is unhappy. Otherwise, a possible train of thought of an individual to self-justify is above...
Last edited by Phosphorus on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Aptivaboy

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:53 pm

I have to say, I'm really disappointed that so many posters are bemoaning this flight attendant working at age 79. I say, more power to her! If someone is capable of working, is mentally and physically capable of handling the duties required of them, then why not? Why shouldn't they be able to work, fly, travel, and enjoy the stability and peace of mind knowing that a regular paycheck is coming in?

My grandfather retired in 1981 or 1982, and hated every moment of it. The older generation, in particular, was raised with a different work ethic than much of the current generation. Work meant pride - they take pride and satisfaction in showing up every single day and performing well, unlike the stereotypical millennial who must be coaxed into merely arriving to work on time (yes, a stereotype but I see it everyday at my job where the older teachers show up hours early and stay late, while the younger ones vanish the moment the bell rings, or let their students leave early so they can get to their cars faster and beat the traffic). For many, retirement is simply a means of waiting for death, while working means remaining active actually living life. Furthermore, with modern medicine we are living longer and healthier. We can conduct our business and work effectively for far longer, and is a major reason that many entitlement programs either have or are considering raising the retirement age from 65 to 67 1/2 or even 72, that and the fact that older workers will be paying into these programs longer. At my school, we've had teachers well into they're 60s still going strong, despite the lunacy and stress of dealing with idiot administrators, out of control teens, and out of touch parents. Age is less and less of a factor in today's world.

So... The trial will determine if Delta was correct in terminating Mrs. Llanos. However, her age really shouldn't be an issue assuming she's able to carry out her duties properly. Her alleged conduct and Delta's reaction to it is really all that should be at issue.

Heinkel

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:11 pm

It is surprising, that so many people here are discussing her salary and so few her age.

The A.Net mantra is, that FAs are there for our saftey. If that is true, here comes the question:

In a real emergency, what help could a 79 year old woman provide to another person? She said herself, that she can't lift things anymore in the galley, so what in an emergency?

I would call a 79 year old FA a saftey risk. A commercial aircraft is a hard working environment. Not a home for the aged.
You won't find 79 year old firefighters, policemen, soldiers or postmen.

I'm quite happy, that we won't find 79 year old FAs on commercial airliners outside the USA. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:23 pm

eta unknown wrote:
You can buy a 1 litre carton of milk in SYD at any Coles or Woolworths supermarket for A$1.10... weird she would steal it off the aircraft. As for eating the chocolates- don't all the crew, especially as they must be thrown away on arrival in SYD.

I would imagine it wasn’t about the cost, but rather the convenience of already having the milk with her instead of having to leave the hotel to go purchase it.

Of course, to which I say, wow, if only hotels offered a service where you could call someone from your room and have them bring food or beverages to you? I mean, that’d REALLY be a game-changer...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Prost

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Regarding not talking about pay, it’s rather a moot point. We could just pull up her schedule and calculate her pay. We’d be able to calculate her pension payments and add that in, then guesstimate her social security and get within 15% of her pay. My understanding is by 70.5 your employer must pay you you pension and you need to start drawing on your social security and make 401(k) withdrawals.

alasizon

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Heinkel wrote:
It is surprising, that so many people here are discussing her salary and so few her age.

The A.Net mantra is, that FAs are there for our saftey. If that is true, here comes the question:

In a real emergency, what help could a 79 year old woman provide to another person? She said herself, that she can't lift things anymore in the galley, so what in an emergency?

I would call a 79 year old FA a saftey risk. A commercial aircraft is a hard working environment. Not a home for the aged.

I'm quite happy, that we won't find 79 year old FAs on commercial airliners outside the USA. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Not all 79 year olds are created equal. I know of at least two ramp agents that are pushing 80 and one of them works in the busiest area of the bagroom by himself and never has a problem. He is more in shape than I am; I don't even question if he is "too old" to be working on the ramp.

There is no denying though that at 79 and doing nothing but long haul trips, that will put quite a strain on your body.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

chepos

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Heinkel wrote:

Half of the post on this thread are about the age of this particular F/A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

HunterATL

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:20 pm

travelsonic wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:
First of all your post is hearsay and second it’s against the law for Delta to tell or leak to anyone about what’s in here file.

1. This is an internet forum, not a court of law, so there's no such thing as "hearsay".

Hearsay isn't ONLY a legal term, you know. :roll:

Hearsay is, in fact, only a legal term. The definition is an out of court statement offered into evidence to prove the truth of the matter asserted. It is a term that had no meaning prior to its creation by the English courts.

Phoenix757767

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:30 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Trip wrote:
Prost wrote:
We do not have a monthly maximum that we can work.

Thanks. Then there is no such thing at Delta as time and a half or double time for flight attendants as was claimed upthread?

Delta like every other US company has to pay overtime once you hit 8 hours on your shift. That's a Federal regulation. It could be time and a half (as my company) or double time as they do if you work holidays (my company also does) or anywhere in between or above those 2.

Flight crews are exempt from the Fair Standards Labor Act, as they are not paid hourly like a 40 hour ground employee. Flight pay starts when the doors are closed , wheels are moving and engines are turning.

Phoenix757767

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:33 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
Trip wrote:
Delta like every other US company has to pay overtime once you hit 8 hours on your shift. That's a Federal regulation. It could be time and a half (as my company) or double time as they do if you work holidays (my company also does) or anywhere in between or above those 2.

That does not apply to FAs or Pilots, they are governed by the railroad labor act.

Wrong. Non-union workers are not governed by the RLA. The RLA has nothing to do with wages and hours. That is the FSLA and flight crews are exempt from the 40 hour a week overtime qualifier.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
I have to say... should be at issue.

Ok. Your evidence for her creation of this non-sense is limited to your prejudices on millenials. Who are not part of this issue.

rbavfan wrote:

I will always work doing something. Even if it's for a charity. If I don't I get bored and spend to much and I would rather not sit around waiting to die.

As someone who are themselves transitioning into the final phase of professional life, I understand this. But at her age, in conjunction with her defects and limitations -spelled out in her own Complaint, no less-, she has no business in any safety sensitive position. It is unfortunate that DL had to hang this on a theft issue, but this really is better for their customers.

EWRCabincrew wrote:
What is relevant is that, no matter how big or small the item, she took company property. Is the item trivial, probably, but in the eyes of the company, no.

It doesn't matter if the item was perishable, or destined to a bin. Company property is company property. That's how the company sees it.

Hmmm... I would say that goes to judgement. If you cannot trust someone to value an inflated salary as hers was, it is not reasonable to assume she values safety at any level.

Canuck600 wrote:
By run the clock down I assume you mean drag it out so she dies before it's settled?

Correct. It is worth noting that more and more companies these days are choosing to fight lawsuits all the way out, rather than settle. Part of this is pressure/duty where it comes to fiduciary responsibility WRT shareholders.

But in any case, it is a valid strategy, and it does work. Looking at the Complaint, it is not hard to imagine DL winning this one. But if they somehow were to not, there would be plenty to appeal on. If I had to wager, I would put money on seeing an A350 NEO EIS before this is resolved finally.

Phoenix757767 wrote:
Flight pay starts when the doors are closed , wheels are moving and engines are turning.

Brake Release.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

lightsaber

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:04 pm

HunterATL wrote:
First, there is no federal law that prohibits any employer from disclosing anything about your employment or the terms of your termination except for medical information protected by HIPPA. Moreover, each state provides a qualified privilege from defamation claims in order to encourage employers to be honest about why they terminated someone. Even if she had some bizarre privacy claim, she waived her right to privacy the moment she filed a public lawsuit regarding her employment and termination.

Second, the big issue that most have missed is that she also sued multiple flight attendants claiming that they worked in concert to get her fired and provided false information to Delta. Interestingly, she has basically admitted that the information they provided to Delta was a sufficient basis for Delta to terminate her. She has also claimed that there are up to 100 other unknown flight attendants that were involved in this conspiracy and that she intends to sue each of them as well. The fact that she is suing many of the flight attendants she routinely worked with implies to me that few, if any, flight attendants are likely to provide helpful testimony to her and most are likely to provide further evidence supporting the termination. Moreover, claiming that essentially the entire group of LAX flight attendants had it out for her is not likely to garner her any support from even those that might have liked her.

Third, if the AFA had any common sense it would as stay far away as possible from a lawsuit between flight attendants except, possibly, to point out that if the flight attendants were members of the AFA that the AFA might be obligated to provide them with free legal counsel to defend them from this woman's claims. I do not know if that is a benefit that the AFA actually provides, but if so, pointing that out is likely the only positive talking point about a lawsuit in which a former flight attendant is suing her former colleagues for turning over pictures of her luggage full of Delta products.

The sense I get from reading the complaint and from various comments made by some of those involved is that this woman was not well liked by many of the LAX based flight attendants.

Her complaint can be found here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... ILED-1.pdf.

The fact she made so many enemies tells me she was disruptive and both crew and DL was looking for grounds to terminate.

A coworker if mine lost a job for taking a ream of paper. No tolerance policies are that.

This sounds like a bitter entitled person. It would have been better to quitely go into retirement.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

Phoenix757767

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:09 pm

DarkSnowyNight”]

[quote="Phoenix757767 wrote:
Flight pay starts when the doors are closed , wheels are moving and engines are turning.

Brake Release.[/quote]
Wheels can’t move with brakes on, I clearly stated wheels moving.

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:

Your posting was clear.

It is your speculation that is not accurate.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

Phoenix757767

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Your posting was clear.

It is your speculation that is not accurate.

I didn’t speculate on anything. The RLA covers only unionized workers, and the FSLA has an exemption for flight crews. I’ve speculated on nothing. Prove me wrong.

winginit

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 am

NWAESC wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Nobody is allowed to talk about their pay.

Says who? All pay schedules are published on the company website, and FAs can actually look up each other’s schedules. It would take much to figure out how much someone was flying and/or making.

DLFREEBIRD is very wrong. In 2015, California put into law the California Equal Pay Act, which makes is illegal for employers to prevent employees from disclosing or discussing their salaries with fellow employees.

Additionally, I’m quite sure even outside of California Delta does not prevent employees from discussing salary. A colleague once told me that even for HQ employees pay bands by title are posted on their intranet.

COSPN

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:47 am

Last I heard USA is a free country how could someone restrict speech about pay and benefits ?

This isn’t 1880

rbavfan

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 am

EA CO AS wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

I would imagine it wasn’t about the cost, but rather the convenience of already having the milk with her instead of having to leave the hotel to go purchase it.

Of course, to which I say, wow, if only hotels offered a service where you could call someone from your room and have them bring food or beverages to you? I mean, that’d REALLY be a game-changer...

Yes and they would send their own overpriced goods to the room and charge a fee so it's that much more overpriced.

rbavfan

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:59 am

Phoenix757767 wrote:
DarkSnowyNight”]

[quote="Phoenix757767 wrote:

Brake Release.

Wheels can’t move with brakes on, I clearly stated wheels moving.[/quote]

And the brakes can be released while the plane has not yet moved.

Aesma

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:05 am

I hope she's at least gambling or something else fun to spend all that money.

I was just talking to my father about aviation and the age of F/As came up, he doesn't fly much and was talking about young women you see in ads, I told him the truth... But 79 y/o, wow !

Couldn't happen in France, as we have good workers' protection, everybody does, not just in some industries, so firing someone is difficult, however past a certain age, owing to the fact you'll get a full pension, a company can (and will in most case) retire you whether you like it or not.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aptivaboy

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:46 am

Ok. Your evidence for her creation of this non-sense is limited to your prejudices on millenials. Who are not part of this issue.

Actually, given the number of employers who are reticent to hire Millennials, it is something to look at. This lady has been working for decades. I don't know is she's a good person or a bad person, but given her awards and seniority, it certainly looks like something might be amiss.

And, I never said that she was responsible for, "her creation of this non-sense..." I honestly can't understand what you're trying to say, and I showed your post to an English teacher friend. In all honesty and trying to remain non-confrontational, your statement doesn't make contextual sense.

Prost

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:47 am

Heck, DL has had FAs (two that I know of) in their 90s.

Curiousflyer

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:16 am

Every time I fly DL internationally in business the flight attendants are very reluctant to serve champagne, they seem to try and content the passengers with other alcohols. I thus think that the bottles end up in their bags or in their traveling friends’ bags. As far as I am concerned I see this mentality as pretty hurtful to the airline and it is a reason I tend to avoid it. If there is irrefutable proof that this FA was frequently stealing, well goodbye, regardless of her age or history. I am not for zero tolerance, because lots of people have once or twice left work with something in their pocket of little impact to their employer, e.g. a pen or scotch tape roll. But when it becomes systematic it needs to be addressed.

ORDfan101

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:45 am

Braybuddy wrote:
I'm shocked that someone is still working, never mind as a flight attendant, at 79. Surely there are safety issues here?

My great grandmother is 94 and still works. As an accountant but still. Work while you can

airtechy

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:07 am

Curiousflyer wrote:
Every time I fly DL internationally in business the flight attendants are very reluctant to serve champagne, they seem to try and content the passengers with other alcohols. I thus think that the bottles end up in their bags or in their traveling friends’ bags. As far as I am concerned I see this mentality as pretty hurtful to the airline and it is a reason I tend to avoid it.

Are you saying that you avoid flying Delta internationally because you "suspect" that the flight attendants are saving champagne for themselves or others? That seems like pretty slim evidence to me. I fly Delta 1 often and am offered more champagne than I want .. or need!

Jim

dennypayne

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:26 am

EA CO AS wrote:
[

Sure, at quadruple the typical price.

You're correct about convenience though, as someone else mentioned, many times hotels are not within walkable distance to a grocery store or even a convenience store.

I suspect the main issue here is the dustup(s) with customs.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2

ssteve

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:52 am

The super-senior FAs have seemed nice... it's actually the second cohort that are also at retirement age but are 55-60 instead of 80 that I've wondered about resenting the 80-year-olds. They always seem a bit over it all.

akelley728

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:58 am

Phoenix757767 wrote:
Flight crews are exempt from the Fair Standards Labor Act, as they are not paid hourly like a 40 hour ground employee. Flight pay starts when the doors are closed , wheels are moving and engines are turning.

It's the Fair Labor Standards Act. FLSA, not FSLA ;)

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/flsa

Braybuddy

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:03 am

ORDfan101 wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
I'm shocked that someone is still working, never mind as a flight attendant, at 79. Surely there are safety issues here?

My great grandmother is 94 and still works. As an accountant but still. Work while you can

Well good for her! The only emergency she's likely to encounter is a power failure though.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:55 am

winginit wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Nobody is allowed to talk about their pay.

Says who? All pay schedules are published on the company website, and FAs can actually look up each other’s schedules. It would take much to figure out how much someone was flying and/or making.

DLFREEBIRD is very wrong. In 2015, California put into law the California Equal Pay Act, which makes is illegal for employers to prevent employees from disclosing or discussing their salaries with fellow employees.

Additionally, I’m quite sure even outside of California Delta does not prevent employees from discussing salary. A colleague once told me that even for HQ employees pay bands by title are posted on their intranet.

Thank you for pointing that out I retired in 2008, I still have the old rule book so it was true, but not relevant now.
Last edited by DLFREEBIRD on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisKen

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:41 am

rbavfan wrote:
Phoenix757767][quote="DarkSnowyNight”][quote="Phoenix757767 wrote:

Brake Release.

And the brakes can be released while the plane has not yet moved.[/quote]

But the brakes can be released, the wheels can be moving but the engines don't have to be running.

Flight Pay starts when the Brakes are released on stand. The wheels don't have to be moving, the engines don't have to be started. (The point 2nd poster was trying to make)
Strangely that point of release is also known as the Off Block Time, which is reported/recorded by the aircraft systems and logged by the flight crew therefore everyone knows what that time was/is.

NWAESC

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:01 pm

I also believe that on the MD-88's, the clock starts when the beacon is turned on? That may have changed.
To your second point, any DL employee can access actual out/off times if needed.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

NWAESC

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Curiousflyer wrote:
Every time I fly DL internationally in business the flight attendants are very reluctant to serve champagne, they seem to try and content the passengers with other alcohols. I thus think that the bottles end up in their bags or in their traveling friends’ bags.

That's a pretty wild connecting of dots, even by A.Net standards. You always jump to these sorts of conclusions?

sxf24

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Curiousflyer wrote:
Every time I fly DL internationally in business the flight attendants are very reluctant to serve champagne, they seem to try and content the passengers with other alcohols. I thus think that the bottles end up in their bags or in their traveling friends’ bags. As far as I am concerned I see this mentality as pretty hurtful to the airline and it is a reason I tend to avoid it. If there is irrefutable proof that this FA was frequently stealing, well goodbye, regardless of her age or history. I am not for zero tolerance, because lots of people have once or twice left work with something in their pocket of little impact to their employer, e.g. a pen or scotch tape roll. But when it becomes systematic it needs to be addressed.

This is because the crews can reluctant to the cheap “champagne” Delta caters.

Phoenix757767

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Depends on the airline at LUS it was brakes off, wheels moving and engines turning.

NWAESC

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:17 pm

And if this was a thread about LUS, that would be relevant.

ConnectAir

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:41 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Trip wrote:
Prost wrote:
We do not have a monthly maximum that we can work.

Thanks. Then there is no such thing at Delta as time and a half or double time for flight attendants as was claimed upthread?

I've never heard of that federal regulation. At the company that I work for (which is not involved in aviation), we only get overtime if we work over 40 hours a week. I have worked 12 hours shifts and then had to stay 2 hours late and have never gotten overtime from that.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC, AA, OO, PT, QK

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, CRJ9, DH8D, E145, E190

NWAESC

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Phoenix--Facts matter. Accuracy is king. You tried to make a point based on what you knew about a carrier that ceased to exist years ago. Next time, try prefacing your rants with something like "I left the industry years ago, but at US..."

ClassicLover

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:01 pm

I wonder if she's still on her original Bonanza contract. That could account for her pay scale. You don't necessarily have to sign a new contract if your company has changed through mergers. They often honour your previous terms and conditions. She could well still be on a contract from any of her previous carriers, and as you know, the contracts back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s were far more generous than today.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

catiii

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Prost wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
We need a retirement age for FA’s. I think 65 is a good number. When we hit the ground with the plane on fire, I want no doubt that they can drag people out.

That’d be great, then give us a defined pension benefit.

Why? The pilots don't have a defined benefit plan anymore.

scbriml

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:13 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:
Work while you can

Which is fine if you absolutely have to, but sounds like "living to work" rather than "working to live".

I was made redundant at 58 and decided to retire there and then. Best decision I ever made. Once you reach minimum retirement age (55 in UK), you're effectively only working for the difference between your salary and pension anyway.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Phoenix757767

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:20 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I wonder if she's still on her original Bonanza contract. That could account for her pay scale. You don't necessarily have to sign a new contract if your company has changed through mergers. They often honour your previous terms and conditions. She could well still be on a contract from any of her previous carriers, and as you know, the contracts back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s were far more generous than today.

Her pay is Delta nothing to do with her original company.

Ionosphere

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Aesma wrote:
I hope she's at least gambling or something else fun to spend all that money.

I was just talking to my father about aviation and the age of F/As came up, he doesn't fly much and was talking about young women you see in ads, I told him the truth... But 79 y/o, wow !

Couldn't happen in France, as we have good workers' protection, everybody does, not just in some industries, so firing someone is difficult, however past a certain age, owing to the fact you'll get a full pension, a company can (and will in most case) retire you whether you like it or not.
'

Ida is rumored to have a gambling addiction. She was flying 200hrs/month which is insane. That's how she made 250k/year.

Aesma

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 pm

dennypayne wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Well, what's the point of making more money than 99,999% of people on the planet if it's to live on the cheap ?

Furthermore, by stealing the milk she was engendering that salary, doesn't make sense. I've known people stealing on the job, not always smart, but they were near minimum wage, at least.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

CobaltScar

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 pm

catiii wrote:
Prost wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
We need a retirement age for FA’s. I think 65 is a good number. When we hit the ground with the plane on fire, I want no doubt that they can drag people out.

That’d be great, then give us a defined pension benefit.

Why? The pilots don't have a defined benefit plan anymore.

Yes they do, its called loss of license insurance. Pilot fails a medical, they get that benefit. Want FAs to not work if they are precieved too old? Give them the same then let the doctors handle it.

ikramerica

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Aesma wrote:
dennypayne wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Well, what's the point of making more money than 99,999% of people on the planet if it's to live on the cheap ?

Furthermore, by stealing the milk she was engendering that salary, doesn't make sense. I've known people stealing on the job, not always smart, but they were near minimum wage, at least.

Smacks of money hoarder mentality. Wonder how many millions she has squirreled away.

Then again, until I had kids, I never realized how difficult it can be to find milk sometimes. Some airlines don’t even carry it domestically beyond the creamer for coffee.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

HunterATL

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:21 pm

ConnectAir wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
Trip wrote:

I've never heard of that federal regulation. At the company that I work for (which is not involved in aviation), we only get overtime if we work over 40 hours a week. I have worked 12 hours shifts and then had to stay 2 hours late and have never gotten overtime from that.

You've never heard of it because it does not exist. Federal law requires overtime pay after 40 hours in one work week for employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act. Many classifications of employees are exempt from the statute. A few states like California require overtime pay after 8 hours in one day but most do not and federal law does not. Flight crews are exempt employees, however, for purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act (the federal overtime statute), and any state law regarding overtime for flight crews is preempted by the federal Railway Labor Act.

Galwayman

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:22 pm

I’m surprised so FEW people here have commented on such an old person being responsible for safety onboard an aircraft. Let her work in a non safety position if she wants to keep working .