Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Does ORD have plans for quad parallel landings?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:19 pm

With the runway upgrade project over at ORD, I was wondering, do they have any plans to make it a quad parallel landing capable airport? They are already the heaviest user of triple parallel landings in the world, if any airport has the space or need basis to do it, it has to be ORD.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

airplanedriver6

Re: Does ORD have plans for quad parallel landings?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Short answer, yes.

jcwr56

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:27 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
With the runway upgrade project over at ORD, I was wondering, do they have any plans to make it a quad parallel landing capable airport? They are already the heaviest user of triple parallel landings in the world, if any airport has the space or need basis to do it, it has to be ORD.

Depends on who you talk with. Personally they'll get it certified for 4 but in reality won't use it. When you look at the operational throughput versus gates available for use, the two don't match up.

kbmiflyer

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:35 pm

I thought they were doing some quad parallel landings now, especially in West to East flow. 10R, 10C, 9L, 9R landings, with 10L & 9R departures. I know I have recently had some long taxi waits for 9R since it was being used for both arrivals and departures.

CarlosSi

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Also a factor is noise abatement...

airstatdfw

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm

kbmiflyer wrote:
I thought they were doing some quad parallel landings now, especially in West to East flow. 10R, 10C, 9L, 9R landings, with 10L & 9R departures. I know I have recently had some long taxi waits for 9R since it was being used for both arrivals and departures.

The only time we land 9R is if we can’t land 10R. If the wx is below 800 and/or 2 miles. The 10R arrivals go thru the offset 10R localizer and the 10C localizer critical areas.

They are looking into quad approaches but it is quite far off. After 27C opens the following spring 27L will close for the extension. So it won’t really be possible until 27L reopens. Also as jcwr65 said they don’t have enough gate space at the moment for the higher arrival rate.

airplanedriver6

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Just remember that the plan is long term.

ORD is also seriously increasing the number of gates for UA and AA, and by the time the new gates are completed in several years all the runways will also be open and able to shoulder the increased demand.

AirFiero

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:01 pm

I thought that was the whole point of the runway reconfiguration?

flycmh2009

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:14 pm

The last time I visited the folks in the tower (over a year ago), they didn't have a straight answer on how the operation would change after all the construction wrapped up. Once it's all said and done, all I know is I'm looking forward to the (hopefully) increased operational flexibility. At the very least, being able to spread out the heavy arrivals/departures. I love seeing the progress each time I depart. Exciting times at my hometown field!

TTailedTiger

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:08 am

Why don't other airlines copy Delta and utilize rolling hubs? It seems to work very well for ATL and eliminates needs for monumental measures like quadruple parallel landings. It's also less of a madhouse for passengers when everything isn't coming and going at once.

apodino

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:21 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Why don't other airlines copy Delta and utilize rolling hubs? It seems to work very well for ATL and eliminates needs for monumental measures like quadruple parallel landings. It's also less of a madhouse for passengers when everything isn't coming and going at once.

Part of the problem with ORD is two of the Big three have hubs in United and American. American's ORD operation is not big enough to justify a rolling hub and for what AA uses the ORD hub for, banking works better. I am not as familiar with United's ORD operation, but much of it is still RJ centered. Even if both AA and UA rolled ORD, you would still have plenty of demand throughout the day for a higher arrival rate. What the extra parallel runways should allow is for a 114 AAR to be maintained even in bad weather, with trips. This should mitigate most of the delays at ORD, and indeed it has become much less delay proned in recent years than it has been historically.

To expand on your question beyond ORD (had to address ORD due to the thread), IMO AA should run DFW as a rolling hub. Indeed, before Doug Parker and team took over at AA, DFW was run as a rolling hub. Parker and Co have made the decision to run every hub as a banked hub because they say it allows them to offer more service to more customers between more city pairs, and it is very customer centric to minimize the time spent in a layover hub. I don't agree with this logic at all, and if you look at AAs performance this summer, particularly in DFW, the performance has been dreadful, and people in charge of the operation are micromanaged so much that making good decisions is impossible without running it through three managers. With the ramp up in CLT next summer, CLT is another hub to watch, but CLT can run Trips. Even so, DFW and CLT should be rolling. MIA, ORD, PHL, and PHX are fine as banked.