L1011dal
Topic Author

Disney used old Airliner parts at Star Wars Attraction

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 am

For the aviation geeks like us you'll pick this out pretty quick. Disney used old aircraft engines as parts representing space craft. How about an L1011 RB-211 as a planter and other engine thrust reversers. Something to look for if you make it to Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando. I made a video of the aircraft parts which you can see at the 19:00 mark with the primary video focused on the new Star Wars Rise of the Resistance Ride which is really good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00igdCN2JlM

Can anyone provide feedback on what the other aircraft parts are in photos and video?

DocLightning

Re: Disney used old Airliner parts at Star Wars Attraction

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 am

Makes sense. Luke's landspeeder was clearly inspired by the 727. Star Wars spacecraft have been inspired by aircraft since the first movie. Certainly, the aesthetic of the smooth, rounded, streamline shapes contrasting with the overall air of decay and add to the overall ambience (Star Wars used the idea that this technology was ancient and commonplace and not at all revered as magical by citizens of the galaxy to tremendous advantage at encouraging audiences to suspend disbelief).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

L1011dal
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:43 am

I agree as a kid the first think I thought about when seeing the landspeeder was a 727!
Last edited by L1011dal on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikramerica

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:50 am

DocLightning wrote:
Makes sense. Luke's landspeeder was clearly inspired by the 727. Star Wars spacecraft have been inspired by aircraft since the first movie. Certainly, the aesthetic of the smooth, rounded, streamline shapes contrasting with the overall air of decay and add to the overall ambience (Star Wars used the idea that this technology was ancient and commonplace and not at all revered as magical by citizens of the galaxy to tremendous advantage at encouraging audiences to suspend disbelief).

And it just made no sense to have a high mount engine behind their heads.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

musman9853

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:13 am

Boeing's quad copter delivery drone was also used to make actually flying xwings that can fly over the park!
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

xxcr

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:24 am

not a bad way to use some old parts!!!!

opticalilyushin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 am

I recall watching a TV show where the original R2-D2 (or C3PO?) was made out of various pieces of junk including a passenger air vent from a Caravelle. I think lightsabers were in similar territory.

VSMUT

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:36 am

DocLightning wrote:

The prop models were/are often pieced together using bits off model kits. Many of them have details clearly from aircraft kits.

L1011dal
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 pm

I'll look at things in a different way now. Some things easy to pick out but never thought about the finer details like air vents etc. Nice to see some of this stuff taking on a new role. Perhaps a spoiler for some but really cool for the aviation fans!

L1011dal
Topic Author

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:34 pm

I'll look at things in a different way now. Some things easy to pick out but never thought about the finer details like air vents etc. Nice to see some of this stuff taking on a new role. Perhaps a spoiler for some but really cool for the aviation fans!

Aptivaboy

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm

To continue the trend of real world planes inspiring Star Wars vehicles, the A-Wing is actually most of an F-14 forward fuselage cut in half and then mashed together. Think of the flat areas from the glove box to where the RIO's cockpit section begins. Cut those out, put them together, and voila! A-Wing. In fact, they reportedly used a Revell 1/32 F-14A plastic model as the donor kit for that fighter.

L1011dal
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:53 am

Thanks for sharing. I didnt see it until you mentioned it and now it looks obvious and I'll always think about that.

Any other influences out there related to star wars vechicles?

mrgrtt123

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:04 am

It is a good idea to reuse old parts for an attraction.

Aptivaboy

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Any other influences out there related to star wars vechicles?

Many! The bombers from The Last Jedi with their defensive gun turrets and bombs falling free from their bomb bay were reportedly directly inspired by World War 2 heavy bombers; Princess Amidala's sporty transport from Episode 1 was pretty clearly an A-12/SR-71 knockoff, although painted a glimmering mirrory silver; and, the Y-wing has a lot of P-38 Lightning influences. There are many others but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind. Another funny point, the guns the stormtroopers used in Episodes 4-6 were actually mostly German World War 2 infantry weapons and a few British, suitably altered and modified to look just different enough: (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... star-wars/). All in all, the Star Wars folks really have tended to use a lot of modern day hardware as inspirations for their creations. Here's a fun trivia question: which Star Wars ship is actually partially made from the hull of a Type 7 U-boat model???

Fun stuff!

dc10bhx

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:29 am

Aptivaboy wrote:
Any other influences out there related to star wars vehicles?

Another funny point, the guns the stormtroopers used in Episodes 4-6 were actually mostly German World War 2 infantry weapons and a few British, suitably altered and modified to look just different enough: (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... star-wars/).
Fun stuff!

Yes the stormtroopers were using old Sterling SMGs (dating back from the 70-80's). Hans blaster would appear to have been modelled on a German P38 (or possibly P08). It sends my wife mad when I spot these things!
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

Aptivaboy

Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:51 pm

dating back from the 70-80's

I saw a documentary one this once indicating that the guns came from a prop house and were much older. Raw footage from A New Hope shows that at least some of them were still capable of firing blanks. The basic Sterling design dates from the last year or so of World War Two, so that would make sense.

It sends my wife mad when I spot these things!

Agree! I do Historical European Martial Arts, and its no fun watching a medieval movie or Game of Thrones with me in the room: "Jon Snow would have been killed instantly if he tried that! That's not how you hold a sword! The show got it all wrong!"

And, onto the Type 7 U-Boat ref, since no one has chimed in, its the Nebulon B frigate, or the medical frigate from The Empire Strikes Back. Check out the stacked hull parts up front. You can clearly see the stern of a Type 7 there, torpedo tube fairings and all, peeking out.

Have a Merry Christmas, all!