Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

AA Announces AUS-BOS/SJC/SJD, One-Off BOS-SDF/OMA/AGS + More

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Earlier thread was deleted for some reason so here we are. Is this announcement not big enough to warrant its own thread or something?

AUS-BOS/SJC runs 2x daily every day except Saturday
AUS-SJD runs Saturday/Sunday only.

Additionally, they will add numerous one-off flights (including additions to existing service) out of hubs.

AGS-BOS/DFW/DCA/LGA/MIA/ORD/PHL

BOS-SDF

OMA-BOS/DCA/LGA/MIA

LAX-PSP

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx

AMALH747430

Re: AA Announces AUS-BOS/SJC/SJD, One-Off BOS-SDF/OMA/AGS + More

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:48 pm

I assume AA has (finally) decided to protect its market share in AUS. The AUS-SJC "need bird" was around for quite a while but cut sometime in the mid-2000s. I'm assuming the BOS flight is to keep more tech traffic from going over to DL.

AA has been the strongest legacy carrier in AUS for quite some time. However, they are hampered by having their biggest hub just up the road meaning they tend to try to route traffic through there versus point-to-point nonstops that would potentially dilute traffic that they funnel through DFW. I guess DL getting stronger in AUS has prompted them to rethink this.

Shields

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Any reason why the earlier thread was deleted? AA's decision to launch non-hub routes is pretty significant news that certainly warrants its own thread. I'd hate to think that posters have to file this news under the hundreds-post-long AUS/BOS/SJC threads or else risk deletion.

catiii

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 pm

They seem to be all over the map with their BOS strategy. Will be interesting to see if DL and B6 respond.

heretothere

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:21 pm

As I said in the other thread before it was deleted for some reason, these routes are going to get bloody. AUSBOS will have four carriers offering ~1000 seats in a market that currently is around 500 PDEW with limited flow opportunities. And that’s assuming no competitive response. SJC might be a little better but I doubt AS or WN will budge as long as they are focused on SJC.

These routes seem designed to fail so American can say they dipped their toe in the focus city strategy that Delta rightly or wrongly seems to be praised for. AA must also have some confidence in the MAX return to service to use 2 planes on non hub routes like these.

airbazar

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:24 pm

catiii wrote:
They seem to be all over the map with their BOS strategy. Will be interesting to see if DL and B6 respond.

DL, B6, and WN already fly BOS-AUS.

KLMatSJC

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:24 pm

heretothere wrote:
As I said in the other thread before it was deleted for some reason, these routes are going to get bloody. AUSBOS will have four carriers offering ~1000 seats in a market that currently is around 500 PDEW with limited flow opportunities. And that’s assuming no competitive response. SJC might be a little better but I doubt AS or WN will budge as long as they are focused on SJC.

These routes seem designed to fail so American can say they dipped their toe in the focus city strategy that Delta rightly or wrongly seems to be praised for. AA must also have some confidence in the MAX return to service to use 2 planes on non hub routes like these.

I think AA sat back and thought that AUS flyers flocked to AUS because they are the legacy airline there. Only now did they wake up and realize that DL and WN are running the show.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

AirFiero

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm

heretothere wrote:

BOS shows 500 PDEW, SJC has 335.

WN732

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:31 pm

airbazar wrote:
catiii wrote:

Yes, but they still have to respond to the competition. Will they lower fares to keep their base? Will they increase frequencies? Will they upgauge or even downgauge? Who knows. I think that is what catiii was pointing out. Obviously, this is not sustainable and someone is going to have to make a move.

dfw88

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:36 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
heretothere wrote:

I think AA sat back and thought that AUS flyers flocked to AUS because they are the legacy airline there. Only now did they wake up and realize that DL and WN are running the show.

Did you read Cranky Flier's article? WN runs the show in AUS, with AA a distinct second, followed by DL in third.

KLMatSJC

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:12 pm

dfw88 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
heretothere wrote:

Did you read Cranky Flier's article? WN runs the show in AUS, with AA a distinct second, followed by DL in third.

And with DL's new focus city, that ranking is obviously going to change.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

JAMBOJET

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:33 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

Not necessarily. For any Destinations delta doesn’t start out of aus, delta has no supporting hub anywhere nearby. If an AUS passenger wants to go anywhere short of ATL, msp, or SLC, it’s an enormous backtrack that customers don’t encounter with United/IAH or AA/DFW. That leaves a huge swathe of the country for large backtracks.
In RDU, Delta didn’t have that problem when it comes to non-focus p2p. Atl supports it.
Same with BOS in jfk/lga and their ability to connect and support the former focus city with a real hub nearby. Any valuable flier that chooses Delta routinely in AUS will be backtracking a lot to go anywhere in most of the SE (west of atl), the Mountain West (East of SLC), or anywhere south of MSP or dtw.

Austin isn’t as easy a focus city for Delta as BOS and RDU were. They do have a pretty club though.

BNAMealer

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:44 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
dfw88 wrote:

Not necessarily. For any Destinations delta doesn’t start out of aus, delta has no supporting hub anywhere nearby. If an AUS passenger wants to go anywhere short of ATL, msp, or SLC, it’s an enormous backtrack that customers don’t encounter with United/IAH or AA/DFW. That leaves a huge swathe of the country for large backtracks.
In RDU, Delta didn’t have that problem when it comes to non-focus p2p. Atl supports it.
Same with BOS in jfk/lga and their ability to connect and support the former focus city with a real hub nearby. Any valuable flier that chooses Delta routinely in AUS will be backtracking a lot to go anywhere in most of the SE (west of atl), the Mountain West (East of SLC), or anywhere south of MSP or dtw.

Austin isn’t as easy a focus city for Delta as BOS and RDU were. They do have a pretty club though.

I always thought the model DL followed at RDU wouldn’t work at AUS and if DL truly wanted to do anything, they would have to make it more of small hub.

malev2012

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:59 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

Last year United was #3 out of Austin, I wouldn't say 35% by WN is running the show. Especially when you consider that business contracts often include international travel DL has AM, KL and WS operating international flights out of Austin, AA has BA and UA has AC and LH. Further more WN no longer has nonstop service to NYC!
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

jbmitt

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Omaha is pretty strong economically, so no surprises with the additions other than I'm surprised they didn't already operate those pairs. When AA added MIA to DSM many people wondered why they had it before OMA which is bigger.

ckfred

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:20 pm

United has flown SFO-OMA the weekend of the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting. I'm a shareholder and have attended the meeting several times. It now attracts about 30,000 to 40,000 people. I've met people from San Francisco, LA, New York, Boston, as well as Europe, Japan, and China. If you try to book a hotel room, say a week before the meeting, the nearest hotels with space available are in Lincoln and Des Moines.

Flights get pricey. I talked to a woman who flew in from Phoenix. She flew into DSM and rented a car. The cost of the ticket and the car was cheaper than trying to fly into OMA.

Hotels are even worse. A hotel that might go for under $100 a night goes for $300.

jplatts

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:42 pm

ckfred wrote:
If you try to book a hotel room, say a week before the meeting, the nearest hotels with space available are in Lincoln and Des Moines.

Hotels are even worse. A hotel that might go for under $100 a night goes for $300.

There are actually some hotels and motels off of I-80 in a few towns in between Omaha and Des Moines, including the following:
  • Cobblestone Inn & Suites, Capri Motel, and Motel 6 in Avoca, IA
  • Econo Lodge and Super 8 in Walnut, IA
  • Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, Chestnut Charm Bed & Breakfast, Days Inn, and Rock Island Inn & Suites in Atlantic, IA
  • Adair Budget Inn in Adair, IA
  • AmericInn, Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, Economy Inn, and Stuart Motor Lodge in Stuart, IA
  • Edgetowner Motel in De Soto, IA

Do the hotels and motels listed above fill up during the weekend of the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting?

sargester

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:08 pm

dfw88 wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:
heretothere wrote:

Not by market share, AA is the largest

MAH4546

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:09 pm

jbmitt wrote:
Omaha is pretty strong economically, so no surprises with the additions other than I'm surprised they didn't already operate those pairs. When AA added MIA to DSM many people wondered why they had it before OMA which is bigger.

Nobody wondered that. AA flies Miami-Omaha daily with a Republic 175 during the winter months.
a.

jbmitt

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:14 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
jbmitt wrote:

Nobody wondered that. AA flies Miami-Omaha daily with a Republic 175 during the winter months.

I don’t care for your attitude. Go look at the thread, people did because DSM has weekend service and isn’t seasonal.

This doesn’t matter because it turns out the service is just for the Berkshire annual shareholders meeting.

AlexBrewster03

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 pm

it looks like AA is coming for DL a bit at both AUS and BOS, delta gotta step up their game and really make Austin a real focus city

MrNuke

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:21 pm

jbmitt wrote:
Omaha is pretty strong economically, so no surprises with the additions other than I'm surprised they didn't already operate those pairs.

These are one offs for the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting weekend. OMA already has year-round service to LGA on DL, to DCA on SW and DL, and seasonal service to MIA on AA. The only airport on that list that doesn't see some sort of seasonal service to OMA is BOS.
jbmitt wrote:
When AA added MIA to DSM many people wondered why they had it before OMA which is bigger.

They already did and still sort of do. AA operated it daily year-round 4 for or 5 months in 2008 (before Des Moines) and dropped it. It returned seasonally last Winter and it returns daily seasonally in December.
ckfred wrote:
United has flown SFO-OMA the weekend of the Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting.

United operates that route year-round now.
Last edited by MrNuke on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tphuang

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:25 pm

AlexBrewster03 wrote:
it looks like AA is coming for DL a bit at both AUS and BOS, delta gotta step up their game and really make Austin a real focus city

AA is about the same size as DL at BOS and larger than DL at AUS. More like defending their turf than coming after DL.

ScottB

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:31 pm

sargester wrote:
Not by market share, AA is the largest

Huh? WN carries nearly twice as many passengers to and from AUS as AA. They're not running many connections over AUS, either. WN has been the largest carrier at AUS since before the new airport opened.

dfw88 wrote:
followed by DL in third.

Delta isn't third yet. They were still behind United in October for both monthly and year-to-date passengers. They have closed the gap by quite a bit, though.

AirFiero wrote:
BOS shows 500 PDEW

Crazy that four of the six largest carriers will be fighting over a relatively modest-sized market.

WA707atMSP

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:33 pm

I'm a little surprised AA Eagle doesn't serve LAX-PSP on a daily basis, to enable people going to PSP to fly there via LAX instead of PHX or DFW.

AA and AA Eagle flew LAX-PSP for many years, and in the 1970s even used DC-10s on the route.

MAH4546

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:33 pm

jbmitt wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
jbmitt wrote:

I don’t care for your attitude. Go look at the thread, people did because DSM has weekend service and isn’t seasonal.

This doesn’t matter because it turns out the service is just for the Berkshire annual shareholders meeting.

No attitude here. You are sharing a lot of incorrect information. To clear it up:

1) AA flies Miami-Omaha daily during the winter and has for two years.
2) AA will launch Miami-Des Moines as a weekend-only and summer-only service in June.
3) AA will also fly Miami-Omaha during the Berkshire conference at the end of April/start of May, which is outside the usual operating season for Miami-Omaha.
a.

KLMatSJC

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:57 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
I'm a little surprised AA Eagle doesn't serve LAX-PSP on a daily basis, to enable people going to PSP to fly there via LAX instead of PHX or DFW.

AA and AA Eagle flew LAX-PSP for many years, and in the 1970s even used DC-10s on the route.

United is ending LAX-PSP in June. PSP is now well connected to many airports around the country, thus eliminating the need for the LAX flight. One of my fondest memories was doing that flight in a bumpy Brasilia. Definitely a lot of fun.

Midwestindy

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Earlier thread was deleted for some reason so here we are. Is this announcement not big enough to warrant its own thread or something?

Yeah I didn't get an explanation as to why it was deleted
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

questions

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
The AUS-SJC "need bird"...

Nerd bird.

Although with the proliferation of tech workers in the economy, the moniker is a bit outdated.

steveAUS

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:11 pm

What was the last AA P2P out of AUS? I can't remember when the SNA service was relative to AA's last attempt at the Nerd Bird but it has been a very long time.

Wacko55

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:54 pm

I believe it was SEA. They also served RDU and STL around that time as well so could have been one of those.

alasizon

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:28 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

United is ending LAX-PSP in June. PSP is now well connected to many airports around the country, thus eliminating the need for the LAX flight. One of my fondest memories was doing that flight in a bumpy Brasilia. Definitely a lot of fun.

LAX-PSP is a route that just doesn't need to exist any more. Majority of the pax are served much better from other hubs, those pax that choose to fly into LAX to get to PSP often drive anyhow.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

grbauc

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:43 am

ScottB wrote:
Crazy that four of the six largest carriers will be fighting over a relatively modest-sized market.

Yea and many clamor how the mergers were so anti competitive and consumer unfriendly. Some crazy market share being fought over.

mga707

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:39 am

WA707atMSP wrote:

When the C.A.B. granted American access to PSP in 1968 the service came with some restrictions, which was not uncommon at that time: AA could not carry local traffic LAX-PSP or PSP-PHX, ostensibly to 'protect' Air West on the route. So for part of the year (summer) AA only had one daily flight each way through the airport, LAX-PSP-PHX-ORD and vv, with no local traffic carried on the first two segments. LAX-PHX (one-stop) was fine, as was PSP-ORD, also a one-stop. In the winter they operated PSP-ORD non-stop, and after a couple of years added PSP-ELP (briefly) and PSP-TUS, which they operated for many years, even after deregulation as a 'tag' on a TUS-DFW flight. Obviously, once deregulation started all local traffic restrictions became moot.
On a personal note, my final AA 720B flight was non-revving (with my Dad) LAX-PSP-TUS in August 1971. The 720 was still in the old 'Astrojet' colors, so not only was it my last (of many, as AA 720s were common in TUS in the '60s) 720 flight but also my last AA flight on an aircraft in the 'old' (1963) 'lightning bolt'/'Astrojet' scheme.

qf789

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:47 am

Please keep your posts on topic and relevant to the discussion. Topic is about American not about Delta. Furthermore if you have an issue with moderation email the moderators at [email protected] do not post about it in open forum or pm a moderator as stated in forum rules
Forum Moderator

ericm2031

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:03 am

KLMatSJC wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

I don't think UA is ending LAX-PSP permanently...guessing it will just be a seasonal suspension as most other routes are during the summer (low season). It would make more sense for AA to serve it for Asia connections as UA has SFO to serve that purpose, but that hasn't persuaded them yet. UA/OO has crew/mx obligations on both ends, which might keep the route alive for them.

seat1a

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 am

Curious to what percentage of AA's flights on AUS-DFW are strictly O&D v connecting on? Perhaps that is driving the add's for BOS and SJC?

KD5MDK

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:15 am

I would assume it's 90%+ connecting. Most people heading to Dallas or Austin from the other would drive, and a lot of others would take WN.

bluecrew

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:05 am

BOS-AGS, SDF. Good luck. I don't think there's any O&D market there, and the AA connecting market in BOS is just about shot from the cuts over the years. The US hub is just about gone at this point, there's just a few regional connecting flights to BOS, and otherwise it's mostly hub traffic. TATL cuts too over the years.
They should probably focus a bit more on NYC, unless this is just some daily fleet movement and legs for their regional aircraft that would RON in an outstation anyways.

Atlwarrior

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:08 am

Congratulations, AGS on the Master flight adds, I wonder how Delta will respond.

Atlwarrior

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:10 am

bluecrew wrote:
BOS-AGS, SDF. Good luck. I don't think there's any O&D market there, and the AA connecting market in BOS is just about shot from the cuts over the years. The US hub is just about gone at this point, there's just a few regional connecting flights to BOS, and otherwise it's mostly hub traffic. TATL cuts too over the years.
They should probably focus a bit more on NYC, unless this is just some daily fleet movement and legs for their regional aircraft that would RON in an outstation anyways.

Unless I read the article wrong, it’s only for the Masters Tournament week.

bluecrew

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:15 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
bluecrew wrote:

Unless I read the article wrong, it’s only for the Masters Tournament week.

I did not read it, just the post. That makes a lot more sense, thanks.

Still SDF, even AUS from BOS, they are reaching with either one.

LAX772LR

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 am

grbauc wrote:
Yea and many clamor how the mergers were so anti competitive and consumer unfriendly.

:checkmark: :checkmark: All while ignoring the fact that more pax are flying, to more destinations, with more nonstops options, than ever before... at inflation-adjusted fares that are the lowest in any decade since deregulation.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

dfw88

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:20 pm

bluecrew wrote:
Still SDF, even AUS from BOS, they are reaching with either one.

SDF is also a special event flight on Kentucky Derby weekend.

airbazar

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:18 pm

WN732 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
catiii wrote:

Yes, but they still have to respond to the competition. Will they lower fares to keep their base? Will they increase frequencies? Will they upgauge or even downgauge? Who knows. I think that is what catiii was pointing out. Obviously, this is not sustainable and someone is going to have to make a move.

Why? The days of airlines fighting for market share at a loss are long gone. They tried doing that in the 90's and they all ended up in Ch.11. I can't imagine that the fares are too high with 3 carriers already on the route. This is primarily about corporate contracts, IMO and not about retail fares.
B6 and WN cater to BOS originating traffic given that they only have morning departures from BOS with evening returns. By the same token DL caters to AUS originating traffic. Because of opposing schedules DL and B6 are not really competing directly, IMO. AA's schedule implies they will be straddling both. It will be interesting to see if 2x daily will be too much capacity.

NWAESC

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Congratulations, AGS on the Master flight adds, I wonder how Delta will respond.

With hourly 777’s, of course. :D
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

jasoncrh

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 pm

There's actually a rather large BOS-SDF o/d market. one of the largest unserved O/D markets in both Boston and SDF. It's good to see them put the flight in for the Derby - that'ls a natural. I'm hoping to see either Delta or JetBlue start BOS-SDF at some point on a permanent basis.

bluecrew wrote:

JAMBOJET

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:28 pm

airbazar wrote:
WN732 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Why? The days of airlines fighting for market share at a loss are long gone. They tried doing that in the 90's and they all ended up in Ch.11. I can't imagine that the fares are too high with 3 carriers already on the route. This is primarily about corporate contracts, IMO and not about retail fares.
B6 and WN cater to BOS originating traffic given that they only have morning departures from BOS with evening returns. By the same token DL caters to AUS originating traffic. Because of opposing schedules DL and B6 are not really competing directly, IMO. AA's schedule implies they will be straddling both. It will be interesting to see if 2x daily will be too much capacity.

Is the battle for share over? The entire point of Delta’s focus cities has been market share grab. They constantly talk about their size and share in their focus cities, not corporate contracts.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:41 pm

steveAUS wrote:
What was the last AA P2P out of AUS? I can't remember when the SNA service was relative to AA's last attempt at the Nerd Bird but it has been a very long time.

They flew AUS-HOU-LGA to get around the perimeter rule back in the day.

The AUS - HOU section, IIRC< actually had quite the cult following for those AAdvantage folks who did not want WN or to drive.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

catiii

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:24 pm

airbazar wrote:
WN732 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Delta's whole strategy (for now) in BOS is fighting for market share at a loss...

B6 and DL may not directly respond to BOS-AUS by adding service or reducing fares on that city pair, but there are many other ways they can respond.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos