Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evank516
Topic Author

How is DL doing on LGA-ORD since they upgauged?

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Maybe the wrong forum for this, but I was curious as to how DL was performing on LGA-ORD since they made this route all mainline? Seems to be indefinite and they also seem to be managing the schedule rather well during off peak times. Does anyone have any insight on this?

MIflyer12

Re: How is DL doing on LGA-ORD since they upgauged?

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:18 pm

What info are you looking for?

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:46 pm

I was wondering if they are performing well enough to continue keeping it mainline?

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:52 pm

LGA-ORD is a route I only follow passingly, but I was recently surprised to see how much regional equipment UA has on the route. Maybe UA left some more room for DL?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

kiowa

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
LGA-ORD is a route I only follow passingly, but I was recently surprised to see how much regional equipment UA has on the route. Maybe UA left some more room for DL?

I much prefer United over Delta but am not a fan of the regional equipment either.

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:43 pm

kiowa wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I much prefer United over Delta but am not a fan of the regional equipment either.

I'm a Delta FF and I've had a recent uptick in ORD flying over the last year. I've really been digging the upauge to mainline over the last year and I've been taking advantage of it. It seemed justified to me after AA throws hourly 737s on there, but UA doesn't really have a shuttle type operation and they're notorious for RJs on a lot of routes anyway.

Cubsrule wrote:

I think the RJs on LGA-ORD are mostly confined to weekends, but could be wrong.

flight152

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:50 pm

evank516 wrote:
kiowa wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I'm a Delta FF and I've had a recent uptick in ORD flying over the last year. I've really been digging the upauge to mainline over the last year and I've been taking advantage of it. It seemed justified to me after AA throws hourly 737s on there, but UA doesn't really have a shuttle type operation and they're notorious for RJs on a lot of routes anyway.

Cubsrule wrote:

United “doesn’t have a shuttle type of operation”?? They have SEVENTEEN daily flights.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:51 pm

kiowa wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Indeed. I was in coach on an OO E75 CLE-DEN last night and it was rough. The service was great. The hard product isn’t.

Thomaas

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
kiowa wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Indeed. I was in coach on an OO E75 CLE-DEN last night and it was rough. The service was great. The hard product isn’t.

I for one prefer the Ejets over any mainline aircraft out there.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm

evank516 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Unfortunately, you are. There are 6 UA-branded E75 flights today.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Thomaas wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I for one prefer the Ejets over any mainline aircraft out there.

The upgrade odds are generally good, which is a plus. Quick boarding and deboarding are nice too. The UA hard product isn’t.

LHUSA

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
kiowa wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Really? I much prefer the E75 over Mainline any day. I find it some comfy, modern and roomy. Honestly my favorite domestic aircraft to fly, but the 550 may be changing that.

jayunited

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:43 pm

evank516 wrote:

Cubsrule wrote:

UA on the ORD-LGA-ORD route does run a shuttle operation with 17 daily weekday flights to DL's 13 daily weekday flights the airline with the fewest number of daily weekday route routes is AA at 11. Although UA does use a limited number of RJs on this route they are limited to the E170 and E175 the remaining flights are on A319/20s and 737 aircraft.

So it isn't UA who has created room for DL on this route it is AA because years ago AA totally dominated this route now AA finds itself in third place on this route.

alasizon

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:04 pm

jayunited wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Cubsrule wrote:

UA on the ORD-LGA-ORD route does run a shuttle operation with 17 daily weekday flights to DL's 13 daily weekday flights the airline with the fewest number of daily weekday route routes is AA at 11. Although UA does use a limited number of RJs on this route they are limited to the E170 and E175 the remaining flights are on A319/20s and 737 aircraft.

So it isn't UA who has created room for DL on this route it is AA because years ago AA totally dominated this route now AA finds itself in third place on this route.

But AA isn't in third place when it comes to seats, that would be DL. AA has 11 daily 738s (160 seats each) for a total of 1760 seats. UA has 6x 175s, 6x 319s, 2x 320s, 2x 73G and 1x 738 for a total of 1,926 seats daily while DL has 13 daily 717s for only 1,430 seats.

I'm not sold that the difference between 11 flights and 13 flights is a big difference.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

chicawgo

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:07 pm

IMO and as someone Chicago based who was elite on UA and AA for several years and now DL elite, DL is a superior overall experience to UA or AA. It’s really not even close. I believe DL has carved out a slice for NY based O&D to Chicago. Some of it likely came at AA’s expense and they’ve lowered capacity. UA has had RJs for 15+ years on that route. 5 daily is actually a low number for early December and with 17x daily.

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:08 pm

So the main question on this thread was whether or not DL's performance with the mainline equipment is well enough to keep it the way it is.

NYPECO

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Unfortunately, you are. There are 6 UA-branded E75 flights today.

To be fair I don't think E175s seats are smaller or less comfortable than mainline aircraft, and the aircraft doesn't have a middle seat.

bluefltspecial

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:21 pm

evank516 wrote:
So the main question on this thread was whether or not DL's performance with the mainline equipment is well enough to keep it the way it is.

I'm glad you posted this topic. I was happy to see Delta upgrade the route to a 717 and thought it was a perfect fit when they announced it.

While I cannot speak for specifics on the actual financials of the LGA-ORD route, we can see that the 717 upgrade to mainline is planned through Summer 2020, which would indicate that they are happy enough with the results to continue the mainline operation. From a passenger point of view, having only one middle seat per row is also a bonus.

Delta has over the years become very good at matching capacity to market, but more importantly, it would appear that they are still pulling a good RASM vs their CASM since they have left the mainline aircraft on the route. I've personally thought this was a smart move, easier to fill and aircraft with 45 fewer seats, mitigating losses on slow days, but the downside- also less capacity when it's busy. It's one thing to operate a route in a business market with heavy competition, it's another thing to make money on it.

Once the 717s begin to receive IFE systems, it will make their hard product a step ahead of both UA and AA. Should be interesting to see if UA and AA try to complete with a hard product on this route.

With the advancement in online "meeting" technology continuing, it will be interesting to see if the LGA-ORD route (along with the shuttle routes) continues to hold their frequency and capacity in 10-20 years.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

Josh32121

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:40 pm

Do we not expect this route will shift to A220 as more are delivered? Seems a logical fit capacity-wise and product-wise based on their deployment of A220s on routes to competitors' fortress hubs from LGA initially.

Also, don't forget WN on MDW-LGA for even more CHI-LGA flights. And AA and UA on ORD-EWR. And AA, B6, DL on ORD-JFK. Lots of birds flying CHI-NYC!
ATLien

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:42 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
evank516 wrote:

I'm glad you posted this topic. I was happy to see Delta upgrade the route to a 717 and thought it was a perfect fit when they announced it.

While I cannot speak for specifics on the actual financials of the LGA-ORD route, we can see that the 717 upgrade to mainline is planned through Summer 2020, which would indicate that they are happy enough with the results to continue the mainline operation. From a passenger point of view, having only one middle seat per row is also a bonus.

Delta has over the years become very good at matching capacity to market, but more importantly, it would appear that they are still pulling a good RASM vs their CASM since they have left the mainline aircraft on the route. I've personally thought this was a smart move, easier to fill and aircraft with 45 fewer seats, mitigating losses on slow days, but the downside- also less capacity when it's busy. It's one thing to operate a route in a business market with heavy competition, it's another thing to make money on it.

Once the 717s begin to receive IFE systems, it will make their hard product a step ahead of both UA and AA. Should be interesting to see if UA and AA try to complete with a hard product on this route.

With the advancement in online "meeting" technology continuing, it will be interesting to see if the LGA-ORD route (along with the shuttle routes) continues to hold their frequency and capacity in 10-20 years.

Interesting point of view. As a passenger on this route I'm very pleased with the upgauge. When does DL plan to install IFE on their 717s?

ethernal

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:49 pm

LHUSA wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Really? I much prefer the E75 over Mainline any day. I find it some comfy, modern and roomy. Honestly my favorite domestic aircraft to fly, but the 550 may be changing that.

I agree that the E75 is a great aircraft and I too prefer it over mainline. That said, United's economy seat on the E75s is a pretty uncomfortable one - they have noticeably less padding. Not sure why they went that route as the scope clause means there is enough room/pitch for plenty of F, C+, and Y seats with not-terrible padding.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 pm

evank516 wrote:

If they kept the same PRASM it would be an improvement because they'd be achieving it with a lower-cost plane.

CR7/CR9/E75 replacing CR2s, and 717/A220 backfilling the 2-class RJs. It is the plan. It has been the plan.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 pm

database duplicate

DiamondFlyer

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:40 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

If they kept the same PRASM it would be an improvement because they'd be achieving it with a lower-cost plane.

CR7/CR9/E75 replacing CR2s, and 717/A220 backfilling the 2-class RJs. It is the plan. It has been the plan.

It has been the plan, but the facts are that the number of 50 seat RJs in the fleet hasn’t changed in roughly 3 years.
From my cold, dead hands

johns624

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:53 pm

They must be doing alright, since they haven't downgauged. If the planes weren't full and making a profit, they'd substitute smaller planes.

dstblj52

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 pm

It has been the plan, but the facts are that the number of 50 seat RJs in the fleet hasn’t changed in roughly 3 years.[/quote]
That's true but delta also hasn't really gotten any more small mainline narrowbodies, since the last 717 deliveries in around 2017, with A220 deliveries picking up I suspect we will see more upgauging through the system, especially if delta is not able to hold the ground they took this summer with the max grounding.

UWPAviation

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Honest question, is CHI-NYC the busiest route frequency wise in the USA? When you look at the service between ORD-LGA you have DL, UA, AA and NK. Then when you factor MDW you have WN. When you expand to JFK, Newark now you have more frequency on DL, UA, AA, WN and Jetblue. Heck "could" you thrown in Islip, Trenton, and Westchester?

tphuang

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:41 pm

the busiest route frequency wise and the highest PDEW in continental USA is LA to San Francisco.

drdisque

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:42 pm

UWPAviation wrote:
Honest question, is CHI-NYC the busiest route frequency wise in the USA? When you look at the service between ORD-LGA you have DL, UA, AA and NK. Then when you factor MDW you have WN. When you expand to JFK, Newark now you have more frequency on DL, UA, AA, WN and Jetblue. Heck "could" you thrown in Islip, Trenton, and Westchester?

Yes, CHI-NYC is the busiest route in the US in terms of both flights and pax.

bluefltspecial

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:45 pm

evank516 wrote:

Interesting point of view. As a passenger on this route I'm very pleased with the upgauge. When does DL plan to install IFE on their 717s?

I believe they announced this internally in September 2019, and it broke out sometime afterward publicly when they announced they would keep the 717 through 2030. It was my understanding from reading somewhere that due to a previous order issued by the FAA, a seat made by Zodiac didn't meet new FAA regulations and they had until Spring/Summer 2022 to replace them. If memory serves, the seat might have been the same as the MD90, which might give some insight on the timeline for the MD90 fleet as well.

bluefltspecial

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:03 am

drdisque wrote:
UWPAviation wrote:

Yes, CHI-NYC is the busiest route in the US in terms of both flights and pax.

This published article claims that NYC-LAX is the busiest in terms of passengers, with CHI-NYC being number 3.
Source = RoutesOnline. RoutesOnline data comes from OAG & Sabre

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/44259160/these-are-the-10-busiest-air-routes-in-the-u-s/

MSPNWA

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:13 am

evank516 wrote:
When does DL plan to install IFE on their 717s?

Most likely never. The chances of installing PTVs on a fleet that is already down from its peak is slim to none.

The talk floating around is the same type of talk that said the MD-90s were getting PTVs. That never happened. Unless it becomes an official DL position, expect no change to the 717s.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:16 am

1) DL hasn't officially, publicly announced and confirmed both IFE installation and longevity of 717 the fleet out toward 2030. Credible sources internally have indicated as such and provided some details, but they haven't confirmed it externally and/or done any PR splash. Let's see if they say anything to such during tomorrow's investor day presentations.

2) The 50 seaters have not decreased in the past ~3 years, and the flying as essentially been status-quo. All of the 50 seaters are either flown by OO or 9E and basically the majority of it is appropriate for the markets, stage-lengths, and frequency they operate. There has not been a meaniful amount of upgauging of CR2 routes in the past 2 years

3) A220s initially have primarily displaced E70/E75/CR9 from the longest stage length routes, freeing up aircraft to fund growth at places like BOS. Domestic capacity is going to be at record highs in 2020 and DL is position itself to capitalize on this particularly during peak season.

4) 717s are out of the West Coast, going to be ATL, DTW, MSP, NYC flying for the forseeable future.

5) Mainline on ORD-LGA is one of those markets that essentially has bottomless demand. DL has captured a nice chunk of NYC based passengers, particularly some premium corporate demand from professional services and consultancies. The premium demand fills a portion and the near-bottomless price sensitive demand can fill-up the rest.

jetblastdubai

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:17 am

bluefltspecial wrote:
This published article claims that NYC-LAX is the busiest in terms of passengers, with CHI-NYC being number 3.
Source = RoutesOnline. RoutesOnline data comes from OAG & Sabre

https://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/44259160/these-are-the-10-busiest-air-routes-in-the-u-s/

Small correction: this article breaks things down by individual airport. LGA-ORD is actually the 3rd busiest route in the US and does NOT include EWR, JFK or MDW. LAX-JFK is #1 (excludes EWR)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:20 am

I disagree, the 717s is they are going to stay for any meaniful length of time on the DL fleet are going to need an upgrade to interiors. The MD-88s have 12 months left at best, and the MD-90s are not much farther behind and even such they are contained to ATL and will be dwindling in numbers much beyond the end of 2020.

There are still 91 717s out there flying from multiple hubs (DTW, MSP, ATL, NYC) and their onboard product is nowhere near the rest of the fleet. If DL is going to fly them more than 3 more years they will need to address this deficency.

Supposedly their is an FAA directive that the seats on the MD90 and 717 need to be replaced for compliance/safety reasons but I am not well versed in this. If they need to do so, makes sense they'll align IFE with the rest of the mainline fleet.

SA280

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:56 am

alasizon wrote:

But AA isn't in third place when it comes to seats, that would be DL. AA has 11 daily 738s (160 seats each) for a total of 1760 seats. UA has 6x 175s, 6x 319s, 2x 320s, 2x 73G and 1x 738 for a total of 1,926 seats daily while DL has 13 daily 717s for only 1,430 seats.

I'm not sold that the difference between 11 flights and 13 flights is a big difference.

For sure that's another way to see it. However, leadership only makes sense if it drives profits up. And passengers don't perceive leadership by seat count, but frequencies.

Taking apart aspects such as city dominance, airport dominance and corporate contracts, that soften the pure competition through schedule and pricing while enhancing loyalty, the airline that has more frequencies with lower gauge tends to capture a higher percentage of business passengers.

FlyGuy27

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:19 am

Speaking from experience of flying LGA-ORD at twice a week for the past two years, I will say that I have found United to be meaningfully more reliable than Delta. I originally flew DL given my brand loyalty, but their inability to maintain an on-time schedule pushed me to United.

I'm not sure if UA has an internal prioritization, but those flights (all on mainline, with the exception of some off-peak frequencies) seem to be on time and are nearly always at the "best" gates at ORD - B5, B6.

Considering the hard product is the same (DL mainline planes without PTVs), United wins on this route.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:25 am

I am guessing since for DL since LGA-ORD doesn't really foster connections on either end, they are prioritizing flights with connections to ATL, DTW, MSP when LGA goes into flow control.

seat1a

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:52 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
1) DL hasn't officially, publicly announced and confirmed both IFE installation and longevity of 717 the fleet out toward 2030. Credible sources internally have indicated as such and provided some details, but they haven't confirmed it externally and/or done any PR splash. Let's see if they say anything to such during tomorrow's investor day presentations.

2) The 50 seaters have not decreased in the past ~3 years, and the flying as essentially been status-quo. All of the 50 seaters are either flown by OO or 9E and basically the majority of it is appropriate for the markets, stage-lengths, and frequency they operate. There has not been a meaniful amount of upgauging of CR2 routes in the past 2 years

3) A220s initially have primarily displaced E70/E75/CR9 from the longest stage length routes, freeing up aircraft to fund growth at places like BOS. Domestic capacity is going to be at record highs in 2020 and DL is position itself to capitalize on this particularly during peak season.

4) 717s are out of the West Coast, going to be ATL, DTW, MSP, NYC flying for the forseeable future.

5) Mainline on ORD-LGA is one of those markets that essentially has bottomless demand. DL has captured a nice chunk of NYC based passengers, particularly some premium corporate demand from professional services and consultancies. The premium demand fills a portion and the near-bottomless price sensitive demand can fill-up the rest.

Helpful points, thanks. What are the top 'bottomless' markets from LGA? Would that include DCA and BOS, as well as Florida markets (MIA?). I'm curious if there's a shuttle model available for, say, 10 top cities from LGA that are not to LAX/SFO.

dstblj52

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:40 am

MSPNWA wrote:
evank516 wrote:
When does DL plan to install IFE on their 717s?

Most likely never. The chances of installing PTVs on a fleet that is already down from its peak is slim to none.

The talk floating around is the same type of talk that said the MD-90s were getting PTVs. That never happened. Unless it becomes an official DL position, expect no change to the 717s.

Delta however needs to keep 88 small narrow body aircraft is IE 717's, A220-100, or E-190/195 or the E2 version if they want to keep the 70 of the 76 seat RJ's that are in the fleet right now and Delta seems to really value them so until Delta can get that many A220 the 717 has to remain in service.

FSDan

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 am

evank516 wrote:

Since no one on this board (even if they had the numbers to look at) can disclose financial performance of the route for DL, we'll just have to wait and see. Otherwise, the best we can do is hear anecdotal estimated load factors and premium loads from passengers on the route, which isn't a particularly reliable measure.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos